Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

This is the weirdest thing and it applies to almost all left leaning causes, from vidya game representation to gunpoint communism. There are so many ways to get a message across but they always pick the one which is the most confrontational and alienating to the people they have to convince. It's like they think if they rage angrily enough the universe will recognise they're right and adjust itself.
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Gee, I wonder if this movie is trying to say anything about women or feminism.

I loving loved Fury Road, but when Nux gets that :smug: who killed the world :smug: putdown aimed at him it struck me as weird and hurt itself a bit. Nux wasn't even born before the apocalypse happened and is just as much a victim of Immortan Joe as anyone else. Shifting blame onto Nux was a really weird moment that seemed at odds with its message.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

spit on my clit posted:

nothing's gonna happen lmao

It bears repeating: The second highest office in the USA is currently held by a man who thinks you can electrocute the gay out of someone.

Strategic Tea posted:

This is the weirdest thing and it applies to almost all left leaning causes, from vidya game representation to gunpoint communism. There are so many ways to get a message across but they always pick the one which is the most confrontational and alienating to the people they have to convince. It's like they think if they rage angrily enough the universe will recognise they're right and adjust itself.

This, in itself, is weird. The right is allowed to be as angry as it likes, blaming every problem in the world on any given minority figure. However, when the left places the blame on the people who are actually responsible, they're dived on and told to coddle the open fascists. The right are never asked to "listen to the left's complaints too", but the left aren't allowed to propose any policy without patting the right on the head and making concessions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It bears repeating: The second highest office in the USA is currently held by a man who thinks you can electrocute the gay out of someone.

I still think that nothing will happen to strip the rights the LGBT community has already received. I understand the fear of it, but don't think they're high enough on the "poo poo we need to deregulate to fix the country" list for Trump and Co.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This, in itself, is weird. The right is allowed to be as angry as it likes, blaming every problem in the world on any given minority figure. However, when the left places the blame on the people who are actually responsible, they're dived on and told to coddle the open fascists. The right are never asked to "listen to the left's complaints too", but the left aren't allowed to propose any policy without patting the right on the head and making concessions.

Because it's supposed to be about making progress not winning the argument.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Countries where seasons don't start at the beginning of the month are dumb. Seasons are pretty much arbitrary anyway so you may as well make it convenient and start them at fixed three month intervals on the first of the month.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Countries where seasons don't start at the beginning of the month are dumb. Seasons are pretty much arbitrary anyway so you may as well make it convenient and start them at fixed three month intervals on the first of the month.

They're based on the Earth's rotation, which seems anything but arbitrary.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
The term 'African American' is largely moot in many or most common occurrences of it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tiggum posted:

loving lmao my dude. seasons are not even remotely arbitrary and happen because of the Earth's position relative to the sun, hth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're based on the Earth's rotation, which seems anything but arbitrary.
They're divisions of the year, but so are months, and there's no reason we couldn't have more or fewer of either.

bradzilla posted:

Seasons are not even remotely arbitrary and happen because of the Earth's position relative to the sun, hth
Changes in the weather happen because of the Earth's position. Seasons are just the names we give to arbitrary divisions of the year.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tiggum posted:

Really it would make more sense to shift the calendar so that January 1st occurs on the winter solstice, but the changing of seasons is so gradual and varies so much year-to-year that having specific start and end dates is kind of pointless anyway imo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tiggum'd again

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
the ultimate PYF experience is the guy from the PYF Pet Peeve thread whose pet peeve is fireworks, because they bore him since he already knows all the shapes and colours, looking up into the sky, presumably enjoying a beautiful midsummer's eve, only to remark that the sun's relative distance from the Earth is some random monkey cheese bullshit

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Tilt, not position.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still think that nothing will happen to strip the rights the LGBT community has already received. I understand the fear of it, but don't think they're high enough on the "poo poo we need to deregulate to fix the country" list for Trump and Co.

We'll find out when Trump starts naming justices. Personally, I don't know what Trump really thinks about the civil rights of queer folks, or if he has a considered opinion at all. I know that neither he nor any of his adult children are gay, which means he probably hasn't given it much thought. If young Barron happens to be gay, and if this shows up real soon, Trump may have a Rob Portman moment. But, given his age, he probably has a vaguely antipathetic feeling which will guide him.

PHOP: You know what's overrated? Manhattan.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Changes in the weather happen because of the Earth's position. Seasons are just the names we give to arbitrary divisions of the year.

We said the exact same thing about seasons but you still don't know what arbitrary means lol. Seasons are not a random occurrence.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I am struggling to see how having them start on the first of a month makes anything whatsoever "more convenient", aside from I guess remembering when it happens. But knowing the season for most people has no practical application, so who cares?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Seasons are about daylight. Right now, where I am, we have less, and I have to get up in the dark, envying Argentinians and New Zealanders.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I am struggling to see how having them start on the first of a month makes anything whatsoever "more convenient", aside from I guess remembering when it happens. But knowing the season for most people has no practical application, so who cares?

Steam summer sales?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
If you're going to argue against arbitrary calendar events why don't you bitch about daylight savings? So a farmer has to start work at 8am now instead of 9am? Don't change time for everyone, stupid!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

gleebster posted:

Personally, I don't know what Trump really thinks about the civil rights of queer folks, or if he has a considered opinion at all.

In his 60 Minutes interview Trump was asked about gay marriage and he said that the Supreme Court has already decided about it, so it stays. But who knows. He constantly flip-flops.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bean_shadow posted:

In his 60 Minutes interview Trump was asked about gay marriage and he said that the Supreme Court has already decided about it, so it stays. But who knows. He constantly flip-flops.

The president also doesn't have the power to do anything about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

Including the same interview, where he said he would repeal Roe v Wade.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

and it bears repeating that nothing's gonna happen to gay rights

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The average Brit is no smarter, or dumber, than the average American.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tiggum posted:

They're divisions of the year, but so are months, and there's no reason we couldn't have more or fewer of either.

Seasons aren't arbitrary at all. They're based on the amount of sunlight. On the equinoxes, you get 12 hours of sunlight and 12 hours of night. The summer solstice is the longest day, and the winter solstice is the longest night. This is true no matter where you are on the planet. And the weather changes mostly due to those seasonal differences (axial tilt), not Earth's position. The eccentricity of Earth's orbit isn't that significant.

What are they teaching kids in school these days?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its an indictment of humanity and the American education system that propeganda and advertising works the way it does. Fake news shouldnt be a think in 2016, but because most conservatives are illiterate and morons false information has and will continue to influence the direction of the most powerful country in the world.

All because a significant minority of people are too stupid to check their facts or make a rational critical decision.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Its an indictment of humanity and the American education system that propeganda and advertising works the way it does. Fake news shouldnt be a think in 2016, but because most conservatives are illiterate and morons false information has and will continue to influence the direction of the most powerful country in the world.

All because a significant minority of people are too stupid to check their facts or make a rational critical decision.

Why limit yourself to America? People all over buy into propaganda and advertising.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Why limit yourself to America? People all over buy into propaganda and advertising.

Becuase I live here and also we're supposed to have the most advanced education and social systems in the world. just lol.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Becuase I live here and also we're supposed to have the most advanced education and social systems in the world. just lol.

Sure we have the best college and university system in the world, but our pre-college system is loving terrible. And what kind of social systems do you think we have that would make people not buy into advertising?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jastiger posted:

we're supposed to have the most advanced education and social systems in the world.

What? According to who?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

wherever did you get that idea

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

i think you're thinking of sweden

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

"Fake news" isn't a recent thing. It has been around since news has been around. There is no truly objective news source anyway so this isn't the "gently caress the south" issue you wish it was.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

"Fake news" isn't a recent thing. It has been around since news has been around. There is no truly objective news source anyway so this isn't the "gently caress the south" issue you wish it was.

Nah it actually is. Fake news has always been a thin, and what also has always been a thing has been the ability to
A) Create a cohesive argument that makes loving sense. Ex: LOL OBAMA USES A TELEPROMPTER WHAT AN IDIOT (everyone uses one) or KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY MEDICARE. By every measure this is retarded, regardless of political position.
B) The ability to discuss ideas in an educated or at least somewhat cohesive manner. Ex: I'm voting for X because he will help Y because X said and campaigned on doing Y

What has not always been the case has been the ability to immediately and easily and cheaply verify information. Ex: Obama spent 9 billion dollars on a personal armada to India in 2013. Ex: Clinton has had people killed personally and verifiably.

poo poo like that. Its one thing to not trust someone, its another to be a supposed intelligent member of a democratic society and be unable to comprehend and process basic information. A lot of Americans and people can, but unfortunately, a large minority can't.

And that is hosed up.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Nah it actually is. Fake news has always been a thin, and what also has always been a thing has been the ability to
A) Create a cohesive argument that makes loving sense. Ex: LOL OBAMA USES A TELEPROMPTER WHAT AN IDIOT (everyone uses one) or KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY MEDICARE. By every measure this is retarded, regardless of political position.
B) The ability to discuss ideas in an educated or at least somewhat cohesive manner. Ex: I'm voting for X because he will help Y because X said and campaigned on doing Y

What has not always been the case has been the ability to immediately and easily and cheaply verify information. Ex: Obama spent 9 billion dollars on a personal armada to India in 2013. Ex: Clinton has had people killed personally and verifiably.

poo poo like that. Its one thing to not trust someone, its another to be a supposed intelligent member of a democratic society and be unable to comprehend and process basic information. A lot of Americans and people can, but unfortunately, a large minority can't.

And that is hosed up.

dewey defeats truman

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Pick posted:

The average Brit is no smarter, or dumber, than the average American.

I remember a "study" they did (probably just a poll or something) that tried to chart positive opinion of British intelligence/character with how much personal contact Americans had. Turns out those with the least contact had the highest opinions, and the more familiarity rose, the opinion of England absolutely plummeted.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

And that is hosed up.

The people who were prone to believing fake news about Hillary were going to vote Republican either way, just like the people who can't see through the heavily biased pieces on the other side of the spectrum. It's such a silly thing to focus on. If "fake news" had an effect on the election outcome it wasn't statistically relevant.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The people who were prone to believing fake news about Hillary were going to vote Republican either way, just like the people who can't see through the heavily biased pieces on the other side of the spectrum. It's such a silly thing to focus on. If "fake news" had an effect on the election outcome it wasn't statistically relevant.

Lol if you don't think a substantial number of people voted for Trump/Didnt' vote at all because of the fake news about her indictment, murdering people, and liesa bout OBama for the past 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Lol if you don't think a substantial number of people voted for Trump/Didnt' vote at all because of the fake news about her indictment, murdering people, and liesa bout OBama for the past 8 years.

what isn't fake news, Jastiger?

edit: specifically from the right. tell me some real news from republicans.