Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
EDIT: I didn't mean to make the other part of my post as a new one, so I fixed it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

No Man's Sky

You fucker I was gonna say that!

In Training posted:

Mega Man 8 is a really bizarre game. I kinda dig it but they broke a very basic design principle and made each boss stage 2 stages which is kinda hosed up and ruins the whole flow of Mega Man. Usually you want to reach a boss, try the weapons you have and if there's no weakness, give it an honest shot and then if it's too overwhelming just jump to a different level. You can't do that in 8 because there's a halfway point save that gets made, so if you leave you lose progress that you don't have to. So it always forces you to stick with the stage you chose which is antithetical to the spirit of Mega Man. Absolutely gorgeous sprites, although the art direction seems to have been somebody standing over a computer yelling MORE! COPY PASTE ALL THOSE SUCKERS!!

Have you enjoyed jumping and sliding yet

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

raditts posted:

This month, I am resuming my quest to finally finish Earthbound, a quest that began back when the game was relatively new but I've never completed since I inevitably put the game down at some point and don't get back to it for a few years. I'm determined to finish it this time, but I always find myself getting sleepy after playing it for an hour or two. It's bizarre and doesn't happen to me for any other game.

Good luck! It's a very charming game. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Earthbound fuckin owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I got these at aldi the other day, they were pretty yummy! I only had a couple and idk if there is anything I can do with the leftover brine once I'm done with them, but still. Cool, and cute. They also had them stuffed with herb cheese which I picked up as well.

This taught me that a thing called the "peppadew" exists.

Apparently they're tiny peppers (real peppers, not bell peppers) that look like cherry tomatoes and they're sweet and low on heat so they usually hollow them out and pickle them, or hollow them out and stuff them and pickle them.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Excuse me sir, but bell peppers belong to the same genus as peppadews, and are in fact the same species as jalapenos

Though if you want to be technical none of them are real peppers since pepper originally referred to peppercorn specifically, but was a fad word used to describe any pungent spice around the time we started stealing seeds from the Americas. Which is how it became the common name for the delicious fruits we all love.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Nasgate posted:

Excuse me sir, but bell peppers belong to the same genus as peppadews, and are in fact the same species as jalapenos

Though if you want to be technical none of them are real peppers since pepper originally referred to peppercorn specifically, but was a fad word used to describe any pungent spice around the time we started stealing seeds from the Americas. Which is how it became the common name for the delicious fruits we all love.

no one gives a single gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really like peppers.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

VideoGames posted:

I really like peppers.

So do I.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Food crop cultivation is weird and interesting. A lot of citrus fruits we eat aren't even naturally occurring plants or domesticated variants, they're hybrids: oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits are all different hybrids of natural species (mandarin, pomelo, papeda and citron). I think a game where you have to pay more attention to farming could be fun in a sim/management sorta way, like a civ/simcity situation where you have to look after a town/region over the course of history and you're domesticating and cultivating food crops that suit your local climate. I find the idea of a player getting really hyped because a new continent has been discovered and the explorers have brought back potatoes and bell peppers really charming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the Columbian Exchange is pretty loving mind blowing. The potato alone lead to a minor population boom in Europe, and there are so many foods that seem native to one area but that actually came from halfway across the world.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Are there any good chrismas-y video game songs?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mommy, daddy, DEATH IS CERTAIN

Help Im Alive posted:

Why'd they never make HL2 episode 3 anyways
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1074301/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Japanese Death Stranding art seems different

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Golden Goat posted:

Yes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Skeleton Family's Christmas Vacation

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yes more please.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Golden Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCvYlD-S4DQ

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Beaten like the octopus on mirror mode

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello everyone. Please play this game about sentient corn

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284240/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

I really like peppers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

carrot is not a pepper

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nor is she a frog.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

frog? no. carrot

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Macaluso posted:

What is Teddy Ruxpin doing in this game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

looks like he's loitering op

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ban teddy bears from video games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVr-pyUKld8

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of Christmas and games, we usually play a round of Jackbox Party Pack 1&2 on Christmas. I see they have released part 3 on Steam. Has anyone here tried it? I'll probably pick it up. Also, does anything else exist like Jackbox? Having the family over gathered around a digital host with everyone using their own devices beats the old Pictionary on the chalk board days.

Well, at least I don't have to see my dad swirling his hips while trying to draw "Hula-hoop" anymore.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

An Ounce of Gold posted:

On the subject of Christmas and games, we usually play a round of Jackbox Party Pack 1&2 on Christmas. I see they have released part 3 on Steam. Has anyone here tried it? I'll probably pick it up. Also, does anything else exist like Jackbox? Having the family over gathered around a digital host with everyone using their own devices beats the old Pictionary on the chalk board days.

Well, at least I don't have to see my dad swirling his hips while trying to draw "Hula-hoop" anymore.

3 is quite possibly the best one yet.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a little more involved but it's still crazy fun. It's like a deeper version of Space Team.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

An Ounce of Gold posted:

3 is really good. Tee KO is the best idea they've had since Drawful and the other games are quite fun too. Trivia Murder Party puts an interesting spin on a pretty straight-forward concept and is much more accessible to newbies than something like YDKJ. My friends and I also enjoy Fakin' It, but that one is pretty all over the place depending on how well you know the other players.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

raditts posted:

This month, I am resuming my quest to finally finish Earthbound, a quest that began back when the game was relatively new but I've never completed since I inevitably put the game down at some point and don't get back to it for a few years. I'm determined to finish it this time, but I always find myself getting sleepy after playing it for an hour or two. It's bizarre and doesn't happen to me for any other game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golden Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_QFiVTdlh0

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9yS_vwJck

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 8, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I meant in the sense that bell peppers have no capsaicin, sorry, I don't know anything about what genus they belong to.

VideoGames posted:

I really like peppers.

:yeah:

Macaluso posted:

I watched a dude play this and it was neat tho imo the ending was pretty lame because yeah it's a funny joke but it undid everything you accomplished over the course of the game and made it all seem completely pointless

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any good Christmas-y video games?

A few years ago I had an idea for a game where you play as Krampus and there's this one really nasty kid you have to drag to hell, but it turns out when you get to Santa's Workshop (which had a portal to hell in it, because he got his powers, along with Krampus's cooperation, in a deal with the devil) it's overrun by demons come to collect on Santa's debt, so Krampus and the kid team up to fight the demons. I think I envisioned it as a metroidvania and the final boss was Mephistopheles. The kid rides in a basket on your back and throws coal as your ranged attack, and your main attack is whipping with your long tongue.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvd-vxC7JXc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Yep. Played the hell out of XCOM and XCOM 2. This includes Xenonauts, I guess.

but have you played the secret third xcom game http://store.steampowered.com/app/290410/

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

Does this count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
i just downloaded SPERG and I bet I'll have a much better time with it, not entirely sure what race character to pick. I know in Skyrim that it's mostly just for looks, but I end up getting torn between viking so I have a character invested in what happens, a cool beast race, a breton so I try using magic other than destruction sometimes for once, or a dark elf. Maybe an orc. I really wish the mod name was different though.

Also I'll be getting Pokemon Sun soon, so that'll be fun. It sounds+looks like a real step up from Gen 6, which'll be nice. Finals are a pain, but I'll get through.

Christmas video game song: Snowdin

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 8, 2016

• Locked thread