Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, maybe I wasn't reaching far enough in my swing. Mostly not having any depth perception (amblyopia) sucks dongs :(
It can take a little practice also, there's a bit of skill to it. The grapple beam splines out of the tip of the volton in a strange way and if you have much of angle on it or if you release the beam too late they might fly in an unpredictable direction and out of reach. One technique you might want to try is flicking them up and then slamming them into the ground right in front of you, and then you can finish it off with an overhead smash like a caveman swinging a club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Sounds like a buy, then. I'll give it a look as soon as I know I have ReVive working right. Any free test content for the Touch so I can make sure my Vive and wands are working right with it?

Also wasn't SPT supposed to have a melee weapon now? I thought it was that whip thing but I couldn't actually hit anything with it once I drew them in.

Honestly, the blade is extremely anaemic considering how risky it can be to use. Tougher enemies require you to smash them and melee them like four or five times whilst being shot at by the 10 other bots.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Played a bit of Grave with the touch. Scared the hell out of me.

Ignore the anime swords. Got stuck with them from the steam workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5OYQHqyG4

:whitewater:

Horror games are going to be really drat hard for me to play.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 8, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Onward is fun. Everyone is cool and helpful. Lots of waiting around, though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

AndrewP posted:

Onward is fun. Everyone is cool and helpful. Lots of waiting around, though.

That was my experience as well.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

SwissCM posted:

Arizona Sunshine removed the i7 check, but gently caress them. This is the second time they've had some kind of exclusionary undisclosed deal with a third party company, I will not be buying anything they sell if they're going to be that consumer hostile.

It's loving horseshit, and I hope the immediate response that happened here makes it clear that it should never be attempted again. loving hell.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

This must be Intel's worst marketing idea since they tried to sell CPUs with DRM locked hyperthreading.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't seem to find a way to test that my ReVive will actually work with something like Unspoken. TheReVive thingy shows up in SteamVR, but the four things that came with Oculus Home--dreamdeck, touch basics, first contact and avatars--don't actually do anything in VR space--just an error dialog on my desktop or a badly misrendered window.

(e) and Gary the Gull crashes, too. Hmm.

(e) Nevermind, nowadays i seem to have forgotten Step One Of Troubleshooting Computer poo poo (read: reboot)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 8, 2016

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

BMan posted:

This must be Intel's worst marketing idea since they tried to sell CPUs with DRM locked hyperthreading.

I think what's most infuriating is their complete non-apology. I get that they're a smaller team, but I think this is exactly why Intel tried this poo poo with them; if they get backlash, well, it's only the relatively small VR community and not something like Call of Duty. The problem is that we can't really go after Intel because they have what amounts to a stranglehold on the processor game, so we have to punish developers who make deals like this to make sure they don't do this in the future.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Played some Arizona Sunshine today with a friend. The multiplayer is pretty janky, and the player models are hilariously naive and fold up in ridiculous inhuman ways more often than not. It is however, really really fun, and super immersive. They did a great job with the gameplay, although it still feels pretty early like most VR games, it's already pretty well fleshed out and very intense at higher difficulties.

Hopefully they fix the multiplayer connectivity issues soon with a patch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ugh guys rec room is so good

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5h51dd/the_hard_truth_about_virtual_reality_development/

Out of ammo dev talks about exclusives & subsidization, pretty good read. I bet Oculus is counting the days before they can release standalone HMD's and escape the PC gaming audience.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oculus exclusives are annoying, particularly when the developers that went for it suddenly go quiet and expect no one to know what's going on. If they're going to go in that direction then they might as well be honest and up front about it. Ditto goes for GPU exclusive graphics features or whatever though I think platform-specific aesthetic features aren't that huge of a deal, particularly if they use hardware-specific APIs like CUDA.

The Arizona Sunshine devs took it a step further by whitelisting only newer models of high-end i7 hardware. They were secretive about it which is more damning than anything, only exposing the feature if you had these CPU models. Actual performance of your PC didn't matter, it's perfectly possible and quite likely that a very large number of customers have PCs that exceed the performance of the CPUs they whitelist. How, exactly, did they expect these wealthy, informed, paying customers to react to this? At the lower end, people with overclocked i5s would be quite capable of running these modes at an acceptable framerate so it's not only dishonest but also kinda elitist.

Having "Sponsered by Intel, buy i7 for the best experience!" advertising and making it clear who helped development should have been the obvious way to approach this for both parties and wouldn't have alienated a large chunk of their consumer base. I'm a bit dumbfounded that they thought they could get away with what they did.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a recommendation for a facial interface cover for the Rift? I got one of these: https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-cover/ but it's not a particularly nice material to have pressed against your face for extended periods of time, a bit rough/harsh.
Anyone tried the vrcover ones?
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover-nosefree/
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover/

Hopefully they get their kickstarter foam interface sorted soon and start selling it on their website.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a facial interface cover for the Rift? I got one of these: https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-cover/ but it's not a particularly nice material to have pressed against your face for extended periods of time, a bit rough/harsh.

Hopefully they get their kickstarter foam interface sorted soon and start selling it on their website.

I got my foam interface and it is not comfortable at all. I probably should have opted for the wider one for glasses, but didn't think it would matter due to the small size of my glasses.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Exclusives locked to hardware simply sucks for consumers. It might result in more content, but it isn't worth the price we'll all pay in the end. VR is already expensive enough, and it isn't reasonable to expect consumers to buy multiple headsets or specific processors to access all the content. I understand the business reasons why these companies are going down the exclusive path, but as a consumer I think it is absolutely unacceptable. The Khronos Group is working on a VR standard, so soon all the other justifications for the exclusive content will go away and we'll be left with simple corporate greed. The reaction to the Arizona Sunshine restrictions and the devs walking it back is heartening, and I hope that as VR matures we see the exclusive garbage go away completely.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 8, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Fooz posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5h51dd/the_hard_truth_about_virtual_reality_development/

Out of ammo dev talks about exclusives & subsidization, pretty good read. I bet Oculus is counting the days before they can release standalone HMD's and escape the PC gaming audience.
This is really worth reading, if only to get a well-articulated perspective from the dev side.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

Exclusives locked to hardware simply sucks for consumers. It might result in more content, but it isn't worth the price we'll all pay in the end. VR is already expensive enough, and it isn't reasonable to expect consumers to buy multiple headsets or specific processors to access all the content. I understand the business reasons why these companies are going down the exclusive path, but as a consumer I think it is absolutely unacceptable. The Khronos Group is working on a VR standard, so soon all the other justifications for the exclusive content will go away and we'll be left with simple corporate greed. The reaction to the Arizona Sunshine restrictions and the devs walking it back is heartening, and I hope that as VR matures we see the exclusive garbage go away completely.

I think it beat's VR proving itself (for now at least) to be a profitless money pit for devs and a content-free paperweight for consumers.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Fooz posted:

I think it beat's VR proving itself (for now at least) to be a profitless money pit for devs and a content-free paperweight for consumers.

VR will become cheaper and more accessible as the form factor and technology improves which will happen with or without exclusive content. The current generation of VR appeals to early adopters and supernerds like us, but in a generation or two it will appeal to a much wider market. If we establish exclusive content as the status quo now then we'll have to deal with it in perpetuity.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 8, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh I don't doubt that. I've been telling people that 'the year of VR' is ~2020, when ~300$ high quality standalone HMD's come out. Exclusives are practically a given at that point though.

People argue that VR is a PC gaming peripheral, not a platform, so it should be treated with some kind of 'PC gaming rules', but the PC is just a stopgap for VR (there is NO convincing mass markets that they should get a gaming tower), and the industry will be better off the sooner it can cut that tether. At that point it's irrelevant what standards were set in the PC phase, everyone will write their own rules with their own platforms.

PC gamers as a group seem to be very vocal about concerns of bad ports, not getting ports at all, etc., but they're just proving to investors that they're not an audience worth cultivating. Really this is a chance to prove that the PC platform is worth ongoing VR investment, this is an audience who will be abandoned in the future otherwise.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Fooz posted:

Oh I don't doubt that. I've been telling people that 'the year of VR' is ~2020, when ~300$ high quality standalone HMD's come out. Exclusives are practically a given at that point though.
I'm skeptical that standalone HMDs will be able to provide the kinds of experiences that folks actually want from VR any time soon. Mobile hardware is getting better, but not that fast. Next gen VR headsets will likely be 4k+ resolution, and while technologies like foveated rendering may reduce the performance costs dramatically, it will still be a stretch to expect mobile hardware to even remotely compete with what is possible on PC.

I think it is more likely that we'll see the next console generation as the primary driver of consumer VR (at least for gaming) rather than standalone HMDs. (Edit: Not that exclusive content is rare on consoles of course, but as games get more expensive to produce we've seen fewer and fewer console exclusives as developers need to reach out to all the markets in order to be profitable. There are relatively few third party exclusives on consoles these days because Sony or Microsoft would have a hard time buying exclusivity given the costs that would need to be recouped.) Standalone or phone mount HMDs will surely be popular on some level, but I expect them to be analogous to the mobile gaming we have now.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 8, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Some of the art that people are able to create in Medium and Quill blows my mind

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157861184430704&set=a.10151762107370704.860454.845640703&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/goro.fujita/videos/1457051840986746

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fooz posted:

PC gamers as a group seem to be very vocal about concerns of bad ports, not getting ports at all, etc., but they're just proving to investors that they're not an audience worth cultivating. Really this is a chance to prove that the PC platform is worth ongoing VR investment, this is an audience who will be abandoned in the future otherwise.

it's funny, Oculus actually has built a nice little system with home, instant on, front facing sensors, etc that a mass market could actually grok.

naturally, PC gamers hate it

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Superhot in VR holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *explodes*

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cojawfee posted:

Am I setting this up right?

Post that on r/vive, they could use some new ideas.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AndrewP posted:

it's funny, Oculus actually has built a nice little system with home, instant on, front facing sensors, etc that a mass market could actually grok.

naturally, PC gamers hate it

Different priorities. The way Oculus operate is pretty drat close to the Apple model and then they decided to target the platform filled with users that didn't choose Apple, is it really that much of a surprise that people might feel uncomfortable about that? I'd assume most people who buy Oculus headsets would prefer to be using their Mac to play games on it if the 3D hardware wasn't so mediocre on that platform, unfortunately Oculus didn't have much choice in that regard.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

SwissCM posted:

Different priorities. The way Oculus operate is pretty drat close to the Apple model and then they decided to target the platform filled with users that didn't choose Apple, is it really that much of a surprise that people might feel uncomfortable about that? I'd assume most people who buy Oculus headsets would prefer to be using their Mac to play games on it if the 3D hardware wasn't so mediocre on that platform, unfortunately Oculus didn't have much choice in that regard.

Its more than that. Gen 1 VR only really makes sense for early adopters, early adopters don't tend to want to wait, and the Vive was the first available full VR solution. Between the lack of motion controllers and the other PR disasters, Oculus went from the leader to the underdog over the course of a month or two. Now, 6 months later there is finally hardware parity, but there are many people who already own Vives and are being told that they can't access all the VR content unless they shell out another $800 for a headset and controllers that are functionally nearly identical so of course there is going to be some resentment. I want to play Superhot VR but its a timed exclusive so I can't play it without using a hack that might stop working at any time and that sucks.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 8, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Apple model can work but you have to start with an iPhone first.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Grillo posted:

I've found the nose free cover to be comfortable at first, but after extended periods of time it gets uncomfortable just like everything else I've tried. It'll drift a little and you end up with a fold or seam somewhere and then it's hell. I've ended up just going back to no cover.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really, really wish both oculus and valve had gone with the headband approach. It's insane just how much more comfortable and adjustable the playstationvr device is.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

My biggest ergonomics wish would be for it to flip or slide up.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I really, really wish both oculus and valve had gone with the headband approach. It's insane just how much more comfortable and adjustable the playstationvr device is.

Not only that, but it seems like that could also have let them stick some more IR lights on the back. I know Rift has some but it gets spotty when you turn your face away from the camera.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The downside of the no-face-pressure halo design is light leakage, especially when wearing glasses. But yeah, one of the Sony execs recently commented on how he was surprised at the lengths of time people would spend using the PSVR. It really is a very comfortable setup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've found the nose free cover to be comfortable at first, but after extended periods of time it gets uncomfortable just like everything else I've tried. It'll drift a little and you end up with a fold or seam somewhere and then it's hell. I've ended up just going back to no cover.

I don't know how much they've improved, but VRCover was poo poo for the longest time and I refuse to send them anymore money.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how much they've improved, but VRCover was poo poo for the longest time and I refuse to send them anymore money.

This one seems okay, at least as good as anything else I've tried. Honestly I think I just don't find anything pressed up against my face very comfortable after an hour or two.

Didn't stop me from loving around in VR for like four hours last night, of course.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have the thin vr cover for vive and it's very good??

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The Oculus standard foam is pretty comfortable I've found - or maybe now it's just Touch games are distracting I'm not noticing any discomfort. I'm more looking for something either non-permeable or machine washable... I think I'm gonna stick with the Widmo thing for the inevitable demo'ing to friends I need to do now I've got Touch. At least it fits well and doesn't bunch up or shift or anything. Also realising how easy it is to remove and reinsert the original facial interface means actually with some anti-bacterial wipes and the occasional thorough rinse and squeeze dry, it should stay OK.

Dead and Buried is sweat-inducing. It's also seriously addictive. I've had so many awesome 'VR moments'. You spend a lot of time on your knees or crouching down, so a couple times I've tried to use a virtual table/crate to help stand up. I've also had moments where I've had to dash across the full length of my playspace to the other, to get to a better bit of cover, and one time I was leaning on my RL wall in my room and it perfectly aligned with an in-game wall. Not to mention just the whole experience of using cover, crouching or trying to make yourself as thin as possible up against a wall, reaching out to try and pick up a weapon and flinching back as you come under fire... It all just feels excellent.
Btw if anyone's having trouble getting full games with quick match, try making your own game. I've been having much better luck that way.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

I have the thin vr cover for vive and it's very good??

Yeah I've got the fabric one and it's great!

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I ordered the nose-free version from VRCover so I'll see how it works out next week. With all these games getting people sweating, I'm sure I'll be glad to have something i can toss in the wash once in a while. I would like to see Oculus come out with replacement cables and facial interfaces though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

El Grillo posted:

Kazy posted:

I got my foam interface and it is not comfortable at all. I probably should have opted for the wider one for glasses, but didn't think it would matter due to the small size of my glasses.

I got both interfaces (normal and glasses) and both padding types (thin and thick). It's just not worth it. The glasses interface is not wider, just... taller, so your glasses are further away from the lenses. It doesn't make it easier to put your glasses on. Also, their padding is very low quality and is held together by weak glue. I put the larger foam on, then followed their directions on how to remove it, and the seams STILL came apart completely just because of a bit of flexing.

I have not been impressed with any of VR Cover's products, which sucks because they are pretty much the only people I know of that are at least trying to make 3rd party faceplates and poo poo.