Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

1500 posted:

But that was not the early promise. The early promise was to develop everything in tandem and release it all at once. This was the excuse of why it would take longer to release something, but that something would have way more in it. This adding systems and such come after it became clear CIG was not making progress and could only work on a single thing at a time.

I'm referring to their alpha vertical slices, not the final "release" of the game. But my overall point is that Elite planned on generating thousands of star systems and adding gameplay and content later. CIG's plan was to start from a smaller set of systems then expand outward.

Which results in elite being massive game where you play for hours and never encounter another player, which IMHO is dumb; but some people like it that way.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWqCew1g-A

lovely crowdfunded closed development obvious hacks Warhorse Studios continue to show "progress" on their "game" that is currently in an "alpha state" where all of the intended games features are "implemented". Notable pieces of information include a dramatic three and a half hours of motion capture for a single player narrative game (it took them a whole month), numerous examples of where ambitious features had to be cut for the interest of gameplay, and artists being tasked with the alien concept of "optimization".

Clearly a scam.

Unlike CIG, those talentless hacks bought themselves a finished game engine so they're pretty much making a mod tbqh

(ask me which engine)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

I'm referring to their alpha vertical slices, not the final "release" of the game. But my overall point is that Elite planned on generating thousands of star systems and adding gameplay and content later. CIG's plan was to start from a smaller set of systems then expand outward.

Which results in elite being massive game where you play for hours and never encounter another player, which IMHO is dumb; but some people like it that way.

Setting a game in space is pretty dumb imo, space is like 100% empty

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

My bet would be that Chris Roberts knowingly rips this stuff off, but has a hard time admitting that he's creatively bankrupt. It's like if he only uses the Dune sandworm "a little bit" it's still mostly his creation on spectacle. Unfortunately for the whole Douglas Adams thing, it's pretty horrifically blatant. From the towel to everything else.

His whole game, from title to the details, is a rip off from better, original concepts from people far better at it than him.

Right, but the towel / 42 thing is blatant in the sense that an overt reference should be. It's just a fun reference, rather than lifting whole gameplay / asset ideas. It should be overt since it is an actual nod or homage (to my eyes). Like, why be shady about that, when you go on to blithely copy some of the most iconic assets in sci-fi.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, it is just so odd to me though.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

how many of those guys unironically describe themselves as incels

:( thinking about the community just gets me down, time to enjoy some bubbly

I am annoyed that you made me google incel, and that I now know it is a used term.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Eldragon posted:

Ya that was not the plan. The plan was to put everything into the game all at once. It was supposed to release with its full number of star systems and all mechanics, and by release I mean when the PU was actually supposed to launch. There was never a plan for a alpha vertical slice. The idea of a vertical slice is a new thing that CIG have to do now because they have made it very clear that they only work on a single aspect of the game.

This was the first major contention between the two games. CIG would make everything at the same time and dump it all in one lump, while FD would start with the foundation and build from that.

I should point out that you can play ED and always play with other players. Given the player the option of spreading out or fighting together is a good thing. Nothing is stopping you from hopping from community goal to community goal and always playing with lots of other players. FD major problems are that they don't know what type of game they want to make. Is it focused on player interaction or NPC interaction. There is no right answer, but half assing both is a poo poo thing to do.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Oleyo posted:

I am annoyed that you made me google incel, and that I now know it is a used term.

the more you know :eng99:

when i first heard it i thought it was a joke. sadly, it is not

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Breetai posted:

Oh hai!

And just in case you needed any more indication of the kind of person we're dealing with here, I dare anyone to get through 2 minutes of one of the videos on the channel he suggested without wanting to punch a hole through their computer. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLJn0R50IdA

loving look at that smug oval office. He's like the personification of Reddit and of COURSE he wears a loving top hat in his videos because of his cargo cult notion of what a proper gentleman from le classy past looks like.

I just realized that the guy Er_Dova linked to there also did that poppy cutter video that's popular with Star Citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUddm0S3LRI

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

This seems to be the prevailing winner (where winning is bad) in most cases. Losing friends is an endless war of attrition between trying to be happy and trying to blend in with general society. Some day I will figure out the best mix and be totally cool and popular. :3:

Totally cool and popular isn't the best mix! Best part of getting older is having that perfect number of real friends without too much drama, building each other up rather than tearing each other down. ^

This makes me very appreciative of the busy weekend coming up:** Starting a new season of a previous epic RPG campaign on Friday, friends visiting from deep north Maine for board games and scotch pretend connoisseur-ing on Saturday, and campfire cocktails (with egg samiches) on Sunday.

**Not trying an underhanded brag how cool and social I am... this is a rather unusual confluence of events.

e: ^ and losing the deadwood

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Put a label here.
http://i.imgur.com/tHYs1zA.mp4

ahmini
May 5, 2009

1500 posted:

Ya that was not the plan. The plan was to put everything into the game all at once. It was supposed to release with its full number of star systems and all mechanics, and by release I mean when the PU was actually supposed to launch. There was never a plan for a alpha vertical slice. The idea of a vertical slice is a new thing that CIG have to do now because they have made it very clear that they only work on a single aspect of the game.

This was the first major contention between the two games. CIG would make everything at the same time and dump it all in one lump, while FD would start with the foundation and build from that.

I should point out that you can play ED and always play with other players. Given the player the option of spreading out or fighting together is a good thing. Nothing is stopping you from hopping from community goal to community goal and always playing with lots of other players. FD major problems are that they don't know what type of game they want to make. Is it focused on player interaction or NPC interaction. There is no right answer, but half assing both is a poo poo thing to do.

FD is at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to feature development; they have to specify, implement and test working versions of the mechanics to get to a production quality release. That means said mechanics can be criticised as they're specific enough for people to form opinions on. As for player-driven vs NPC content, I always got the impression that FD were far more in favour of NPC interactions, with player-driven stuff taking the back seat.

OTOH, SC can just make nebulous promises and ~dreams~ will do the rest. When they do actually risk specifying even minor gameplay elements (golf game scanning), the community goes into meltdown. God only knows what will happen when they have to start making tough design choices that don't involve CRobbler promising the earth to whoever asks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

when i first heard it i thought it was a joke. sadly, it is not

Of course it's not a joke. It even has the bonus of some minor connotation to being an in-group, meaning that even though it represents an inherent out-group, it's something to belong to and be smug about. :downsgun:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

Of course it's not a joke. It even has the bonus of some minor connotation to being an in-group, meaning that even though it represents an inherent out-group, it's something to belong to and be smug about. :downsgun:

like traditional geek culture. (oh god, it's multi-decades old so it's a real long lived subculture with traditions, jfc)

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

1500 posted:

Star Citizen?

Full Release 2014
Full Release 2015
Partial Module Release 2015
Alpha 2015
Pre-Alpha 2015
Prototype/Proof of concept 2015! We Did it guys!
Team Deathmatch mode in 2016 maybe.
We will get back to you on 2017. Give us money.

Let our customers explain why this is a good idea.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

After you are mesmerized by a giant dough mixer and stick your arm in it while it is operational*, this is how you salute.

*Actually happened to someone where I went to high school.

e: He really claimed that he was 'mesmerized' by it. I can only assume drugs were involved. Drugs seem not to mix with heavy machinery.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Oleyo posted:

After you are mesmerized by a giant dough mixer and stick your arm in it while it is operational*, this is how you salute.

:gonk: I'm afraid to gently caress with my stand mixer's dough hook when it's in action. You've got to have some sort of cognitive defect going on to think it's a good idea to jam your arm into an industrial version.

Also, in games that are 1. real and 2. have functional AI, chez Pool started The Last Guardian last night. It's puppy petting sim 2016. :3: The beast does feel like a real animal. I think it wishes it were Kayak.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Oleyo posted:

*Actually happened to someone where I went to high school.

e: He really claimed that he was 'mesmerized' by it. I can only assume drugs were involved. Drugs seem not to mix with heavy machinery.

Imagine the sounds....

No actually don't.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

E:D is what Star Citizn't
:vince:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The mods on there are some of the most tolerant I've ever seen. I can't think of any other forum where blatantly and repeatedly insulting the mods because you disagree with the rules would be accepted. If nothing else, you'd think by now they'd have said "If you don't like how we run the place, don't come here." It's almost as if they need to keep the number of people posting as high as possible... :tinfoil:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

pinepple on pizza: actually good

#Istandwiththeneuroticjew

Raskolnikov posted:

Pineapple on pepperoni is the real winner. It's like #winning by slumming.

Seriously, it's good. Call me.
poo poo is tough okay?

Not gonna lie. I cannot imagine that tasting good.

Ok, Ok, I will stop. We don't really need to do this again....

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I think I am going to get some hot wings for lunch today.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oleyo posted:

Ok, Ok, I will stop. We don't really need to do this again....

:shrug: What else is there to do? It's not like CIG is doing anything useful that we can mock them for. We probably have to wait for the next livestream for that.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

where's bronson when you need him

He's busy yelling at SJW's and liberals on Twitter at the moment.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm not fond of sweet flavors on pizza, but I'm not passionate enough to start a political party about it.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

sooooo.... Mentioning 'the final solution' as bad, bad, bad! is... SJW?

:eyepop:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Oleyo posted:

sooooo.... Mentioning 'the final solution' as bad, bad, bad! is... SJW?

:eyepop:

welcome to 2016, the world has lost its mind

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

quote:

You're showing immaturity and disrespect, like pouty, whiney, entitled babies.

He said as he whined and pouted while showing immaturity and disrespect to the mods.

What an absolute whinging bitch.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Sunswipe posted:

The mods on there are some of the most tolerant I've ever seen. I can't think of any other forum where blatantly and repeatedly insulting the mods because you disagree with the rules would be accepted. If nothing else, you'd think by now they'd have said "If you don't like how we run the place, don't come here." It's almost as if they need to keep the number of people posting as high as possible... :tinfoil:

Maybe they don't think poking a bunch of obsessive stalkers with a stick is a fun thing to do. I think it's great fun, but each to their own.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Maybe they don't think poking a bunch of obsessive stalkers with a stick is a fun thing to do. I think it's great fun, but each to their own.

I'd have worn out several sticks by now.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:gonk: I'm afraid to gently caress with my stand mixer's dough hook when it's in action. You've got to have some sort of cognitive defect going on to think it's a good idea to jam your arm into an industrial version.

Same. Those things do not stop.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Tippis posted:

:shrug: What else is there to do? It's not like CIG is doing anything useful that we can mock them for. We probably have to wait for the next livestream for that.

Fair point. I don't really mind off-topic garbage myself. *flinches and peers around, expecting a blow from Marching Powder*

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I really want Star Marine to be released. More so than many backers I bet.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Tippis posted:

I love pickled beetroot in a sandwich. Plus i like adding crisps (or for chips)

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

two hot girls going at it: loving amazing

two hot guys going at it: loving disgusting

p much accurate more or less for the last 10,000 years

What ? Greeks, romans, egyptians and all pre-monotheism cultures wouldn't aggree. It's only with the coming of the only one that sexuality went to man + woman and nothing else. Polytehism's folks lived a happy sexual life with everyone. These last 2k years of dark age are a parenthesis.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oleyo posted:

The Stimperor prevails! o4

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

The Stimperor prevails! o4

bread-related deskeletonization department reporting for duty

all section employees deskeletonized, sir o8

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5h7blo/star_engine_and_impact_on_new_bugs/

Yes, yes it does.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirificus posted:

I just realized that the guy Er_Dova linked to there also did that poppy cutter video that's popular with Star Citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUddm0S3LRI

In that vid he claims he only bought a starter package but his next video which precedes it by months has him saying he bought all in.
I can't listen to more than two minutes of his fake accent before i have to turn it off.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I'd have worn out several sticks by now.

The stick store would have cut me off at this point.

Stupid stick stores...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Wait saying the Holocaust was bad is sjw now?

Like yeah you get some bell ends who are insufferable, but generally those attacked as sjws are good and chill folk.

Also why do games bring out the worst in people?