Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Digital Jedi posted:

Best EBI they have had I think. That was all around amazing.

man i don't know. every single one seems to be insanely entertaining. i think i'm partial to the gordon ryan one myself but still this was just top, top shelf stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
whoa!!!!!!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
maaaaaaaaaaaan that was insane.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i hope ebi fucks off the concept of 'combat jiujitsu' or whatever the gently caress they''re calling it and just concentrates on making this format huge. it's all so watchable.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
drat is right.

Did anyone catch Gary Tonon dressed in full mariachi gear in the background? :ese:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i hope ebi fucks off the concept of 'combat jiujitsu' or whatever the gently caress they''re calling it and just concentrates on making this format huge. it's all so watchable.

I don't know it could be cool - give it a chance

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

The combat jiu jitsu is just supposed to be the superfight. Who cares if they do something weird with the superfight and keep the tournament the same?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Sprecherscrow posted:

The combat jiu jitsu is just supposed to be the superfight. Who cares if they do something weird with the superfight and keep the tournament the same?

and now we take a break from that rad thing you were watching to bring you the same but with some slapping thrown in in case you weren't sure whether you wanted to watch grappling or mma but are positive you wanted a luke warm combination of both!

it might be great. i've never seen it (unless you count pancrase, which is a huge point in my favor). but i've got a feeling it's going to be pathetic mma 'aspects' diluting the extremely skillful grappling that can often be obscured in actual mma fights.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 3, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Combat Jiu-Jitsu should involve knives, guns and an obstacle course.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'm just imagining the martinez / cummings match we just saw but with martinez giving cummings the old 'i work 12 hours a day to bring in the bread and you overcook the roast' to defend the leg attacks. even if cummings fought through it and pulled off the sub the instant replay would be cummings getting treated like sean connery's under-performing girlfriend in the 70's in slow motion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Combat Jiu-Jitsu should involve knives, guns and an obstacle course.

at least have the mat gridded and every 30 seconds new grids become electrified. throw in a few rat traps etc. and we got ourselves a real farce to give the finalists a chance to catch their breath during

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
tbh I think the combat jiu jitsu wss mostly a response to the Danaher Death Squad and their ridiculous leg lock attacks that are predicated upon putting yourself in a position that doesn't make any sense in an actual fight. Now that a defense to that has appeared organically I don't think that's going to be pushed quite as hard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

tbh I think the combat jiu jitsu wss mostly a response to the Danaher Death Squad and their ridiculous leg lock attacks that are predicated upon putting yourself in a position that doesn't make any sense in an actual fight. Now that a defense to that has appeared organically I don't think that's going to be pushed quite as hard.

That doesn't make any sense. They aren't the only guys doing it and 10th Planet is known way more for doing stupid poo poo that wouldn't work in a fight than Renzo Gracie dudes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That doesn't make any sense. They aren't the only guys doing it and 10th Planet is known way more for doing stupid poo poo that wouldn't work in a fight than Renzo Gracie dudes.

What in particular? Not trying to fight just curious, because what I've seen of tenth planet. Rubber guard, lock down, and truck they seem like they'd work regardless of striking involvement so long as you are able to get to those positions.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

Combat Jiu Jitsu was a thing Eddie tried to make happen years ago before EBI was even an idea. It is a part of Eddie's ongoing project to find a set of rules where Rubber Guard will be king because he thinks it's the best guard to use with striking allowed.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I know Eddie has been pushing it for a while personally but my perception was that it wasn't really perceived as necessary or desirable by most other folks until you started seeing the weird, weird poo poo that's gotten popular lately. I could be way off base tho

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KildarX posted:

What in particular? Not trying to fight just curious, because what I've seen of tenth planet. Rubber guard, lock down, and truck they seem like they'd work regardless of striking involvement so long as you are able to get to those positions.

Inversions, high guard, leg attacks, all the same trends that have been happening everywhere but they seem to have focused on the sport jiu jitsu only type moves for longer.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

A) It's only for the superfights, so no, it's not a response to anything Danaher's guys are doing

B) The only position the leglock stuff happening tonight is really predicated on is seated guard, which has been happening in tournaments from time immemorial. If you think Gio was ever in a position to be punching Eddie while in leglock danger you have some serious misconceptions about the way your hips can move when you're in a full knee-thread.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Also, this whole "leglocks wouldn't work on teh steets" thing has already been addressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MFYTDGGZQ

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I wish fightpass had any value because EBI is making me want to resub, but it's not enough.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

fatherdog posted:

A) It's only for the superfights, so no, it's not a response to anything Danaher's guys are doing

B) The only position the leglock stuff happening tonight is really predicated on is seated guard, which has been happening in tournaments from time immemorial. If you think Gio was ever in a position to be punching Eddie while in leglock danger you have some serious misconceptions about the way your hips can move when you're in a full knee-thread.

I guess I am basing this solely off of getting heel hooked a lot and wishing I could punch the dude doing it to me in the face.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Seltzer posted:

I wish fightpass had any value because EBI is making me want to resub, but it's not enough.

Basically empty quoting. If they would show ppvs like a week later I would subscribe for that plus EBI.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got my first ever kimura from guard on Sunday. Man that felt sooo good.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Nierbo posted:

Got my first ever kimura from guard on Sunday. Man that felt sooo good.

I want to be promoted without being able to sub people or breakfall.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I've had fightpass since July and the only non-EBI thing I've watched was when our gym had some guys on a Titan card. I'm sticking with it for now barely, but I really wish they'd get some other stuff I care about.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watch EBI and occasionally I'll binge a bunch of fights. I use it about as much as I use netflix.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

MMA and chill?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

New rumoured judo comp rules:

http://www.judoinside.com/news/1806/New_rule_rumours_yuko_disappears_4_wazari_for_the_victory

:stonk: Yuko gone, replaced with a "4 wazaris makes ippon" rule.

:shobon: No more DQ for leg grab; shido instead.

:v: 3 shidos for DQ instead of 4.

The yuko one baffles me. Were people really that "confused" by yuko as a tiebreaker point?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

CommonShore posted:

New rumoured judo comp rules:

http://www.judoinside.com/news/1806/New_rule_rumours_yuko_disappears_4_wazari_for_the_victory

:stonk: Yuko gone, replaced with a "4 wazaris makes ippon" rule.

:shobon: No more DQ for leg grab; shido instead.

:v: 3 shidos for DQ instead of 4.

The yuko one baffles me. Were people really that "confused" by yuko as a tiebreaker point?

Could you idiot's guide what this means for me?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

Could you idiot's guide what this means for me?

Right now Judo scoring is tripartite:

Ippon - forceful, controlled throw to the back, or 20 second pin, or strangle/armbar tap = instant win
Wazari - a pretty good but not ippon-quality throw, or a 15 second pin. Two wazaris = instant win. The most obvious way for this to happen is for a wazari throw right into a wazari pin.
Yuko - a mediocre throw or a 10 second pin. No number of yukos adds up to anything or beats a wazari - it's a tiebreaker point.

And there are penalities
Leg grabs from standing are right now a DQ, on the same tier as using the high-injury forbidden techniques or something ridiculous like spitting on a ref.
Shidos are minor penalties which are the weakest tiebreakers, and to get a 4th one in a match = DQ.

Under the new rules, if the rumour is true, Wazari and Yuko are effectively combined. Ippon is still Ippon, but any lesser throw, or a ten-second pin, will be a Wazari, and the fourth one will add up to an instant win. To me this feels more like a "Technical fall" than like a wazari awasete ippon which sets up a really cool asymmetrical sudden-death situation, in that one fighter is closer to an instant loss than the other. We will just have to see how it plays out.

That leg grabs won't be an instant DQ is a fairly substantial strategic change, as it allows for a number of awesome techniques which right now are technically legal but not worth the risk of accidentally touching your opponent's leg (modified fireman carry slams and the like). Just last night we were drilling Kata Gurumas and discussing ways of executing the throw without risking an accidental leg grab. I still assume that a throw which includes leg contact will result in a standup, a penalty, and no score.

Three shidos for DQ is awesome, because it's pretty easy to piss away two minutes by stalling, and only get 2 shidos for it. At the olympics far too many matches were won via an early point and then stalling to run out the clock.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I had hoped they would make leg contact a delayed shido so if you grabbed a leg but completed the throw you'd get the penalty plus whatever score for the throw. This would allow the use of leg grabs but at increased risk if you don't make the throw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

I had hoped they would make leg contact a delayed shido so if you grabbed a leg but completed the throw you'd get the penalty plus whatever score for the throw. This would allow the use of leg grabs but at increased risk if you don't make the throw.

That would still allow shots, which was the main thing that they were trying to eliminate, because it turned judo into wrestling in pyjamas, which is acceptable from a fight perspective, but an understandable decision from a "let's not have our sport cut from the olympics because it's redundant with another sport that's already on the verge of being cut" perspective.

If they could find some ruleset that allows hand wheels, fireman throws, leg-grabbing modifications, incidental contact, and combos into single-leg/heel pick attacks, without encouraging the "hips back square" wrestling stance, we'd have a good time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

New Judo comp rules announced:

https://www.ijf.org/news/show/adapted-rules-of-the-next-olympic-cycle

Only Ippon and Wazari now.

No number of Wazaris adds up to anything. (e. this is basically like the eliminated aazari as a concept, and then renamed yuko to wazari. A throw that previously would have earned a yuko or wazari will now earn wazari)

Three shidos for DQ instead of 4.

First leg grab is shido, second is DQ.

No more penalties given for any kind of grips, but presumably bad grips can be part of stalling penalties.

Clear timing given for what constitutes "stalling"

All matches 4 minutes at elite level.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 10, 2016

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

As a casual Judo viewer, I like it? I always thought the 3 tier system was weird, and I like the idea that it places more prominence on an Ippon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Team_q posted:

As a casual Judo viewer, I like it? I always thought the 3 tier system was weird, and I like the idea that it places more prominence on an Ippon.

Yeah after the rumour post I got thinking that to a casual viewer the dobule wazari = ippon rule could lead to some confusing and anti-climactic finishes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay, but it's "waza-ari". It means roughly "that's a technique".

I wonder if this'll mean more running away or less. On the one hand, more matches will go to time now, but on the other, you don't risk giving up half a point if you attack.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Any advices on getting back on the BJJ Mats? I had a rough knee surgery that put the clamp down on my training and I recently got a go-ahead from my physician.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Go but go slowly and train with trusted blues and above

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CommonShore posted:

New Judo comp rules announced:

https://www.ijf.org/news/show/adapted-rules-of-the-next-olympic-cycle

Only Ippon and Wazari now.

No number of Wazaris adds up to anything. (e. this is basically like the eliminated aazari as a concept, and then renamed yuko to wazari. A throw that previously would have earned a yuko or wazari will now earn wazari)

Three shidos for DQ instead of 4.

First leg grab is shido, second is DQ.

No more penalties given for any kind of grips, but presumably bad grips can be part of stalling penalties.

Clear timing given for what constitutes "stalling"
All matches 4 minutes at elite level.

It's crazy how much they changed the sport. I don't think I like the wazari change, especially if that really means that throws that were previously yuko are now wazari.

3 shidos is fine
First leg grab being a shido is a fantastic decision. It was loving ridiculous that if you got unlucky and sort of brushed the leg of a guy doing a throw you got DQ'ed. If they don't want people attacking the legs that's a saner way to do it.

Grip penalties were dumb as gently caress so good change. A precise timer on stalling is also good.

I just wonder if the wazari/ippon rule will really do what they want (make people go for big ippons first and foremost) or if it will just lead to more defensiveness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KingColliwog posted:

It's crazy how much they changed the sport. I don't think I like the wazari change, especially if that really means that throws that were previously yuko are now wazari.

I just wonder if the wazari/ippon rule will really do what they want (make people go for big ippons first and foremost) or if it will just lead to more defensiveness

Well, that the wazari is no longer as threatening means that fighters have less defensive incentive, and the removal of tiered scoring means that it's more difficult to sit on a lead. I can see a scenario in which fighters become so terrified of giving up yuko that they become timid and disengaged, but that you can get DQed for 90 seconds of timidity makes that more difficult.

I think that the only thing missing from the rules now is something to discourage attack/turtle stalling (eg go for tai otoshi, it doesn't hit, so the fighter turtles up and stalls for a mate). My preferred version would be to give more time so the standing fighter can work some ne waza.