Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

also lol if you think fake news is something only conservatives fall for

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah my Facebook feed is mostly liberal outrage at fake or sensationalized news stories.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

Lol if you don't think a substantial number of people voted for Trump/Didnt' vote at all because of the fake news about her indictment, murdering people, and liesa bout OBama for the past 8 years.

The things that seemed to matter to people, like Comey re-opening the investigation and just news about the investigation about her emails in general, were not fake news. Those were things that actually happened. If I had a dollar for every person who was swayed solely based on the really out-there stuff like pizzagate I'd be lucky to have a single dollar. The only people who buy into that extreme fake conspiracy theory poo poo are just hardcore anti-Hillary people who would believe pretty much anything if it aligned with their preset viewpoint.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The things that seemed to matter to people, like Comey re-opening the investigation and just news about the investigation about her emails in general, were not fake news. Those were things that actually happened. If I had a dollar for every person who was swayed solely based on the really out-there stuff like pizzagate I'd be lucky to have a single dollar. The only people who buy into that extreme fake conspiracy theory poo poo are just hardcore anti-Hillary people who would believe pretty much anything if it aligned with their preset viewpoint.

That poo poo has a latent effect. Everyone hated Hillary not because of any specific reason, but because of the years of anti-Hillary messaging they have had ever since Clinton was elected back in the 90s. Sure you probably can't say "Is the Comey thing swaying you" they'd say "no, but everything else has and this is just another log on the fire". It mattered significantly in this election.

Also Comey re-opening the investigation was a TOTAL nonsense thing because it intentionally stirred up sensationalism over something that had nothing to do with Hillary. But that sure steered the narrative among the idiots, didn't it?

The left has its fake news and things like that, but they don't swallow it whole the same way the Right does. THey don't share and reshare poo poo, and more often than not its satire or wishful thinking on liberalnewslol.com or some poo poo. It isn't like the Denver Guardian that sounds legit with complete false premises that soft headed Southerners eat up.

But its not just this election, its just in general. The American populace has been shown to be actually unable to internalize facts and data, and its embarrassing.

We were never at war with Eurasia.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Those "softheaded" people are also Americans and their opinions do matter. Let's not forget your precious Iowa voted for Trump in a landslide. The election was lost by the democrats not because of fake news, but because the democrats tried to hitch their wagon exclusively to young people who just don't vote historically and never will.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of young people are stupid and entitled. However, so are a lot of middle-aged people, and old people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maybe some people remembered when Obama said Clinton would not be a good president when he was going for the nomination and maybe they also remembered when Bernie said Clinton would not be a good president when he was going for the nomination but then they both changed their stances to she would be a great president and then people were like "hey there's a-doings a-goin on here!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Maybe some people remembered when Obama said Clinton would not be a good president when he was going for the nomination and maybe they also remembered when Bernie said Clinton would not be a good president when he was going for the nomination but then they both changed their stances to she would be a great president and then people were like "hey there's a-doings a-goin on here!"

Then they voted for the guy Obama said would not be a good president.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Then they voted for the guy Obama said would not be a good president.

Yes but at least that's been consistent

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

What I'm saying here is America doesn't trust Obama

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Business owners should be able to refuse service to whoever they don't want to service.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

That poo poo has a latent effect. Everyone hated Hillary not because of any specific reason, but because of the years of anti-Hillary messaging they have had ever since Clinton was elected back in the 90s.
There are a few pretty good reasons to hate Clinton.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

also lol if you think fake news is something only conservatives fall for

just lol

Liberals do but not to the same degree or to news that's as obviously BS. One of those guys who brags about making fake news even said they're too likely to fact check things.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Including the same interview, where he said he would repeal Roe v Wade.

That's dumb, did Trump provide a rationale or explain how he was going to do it? Even as an unpopular-opinion-having ~*pro-lifer*~ I think the only long term way of 'attacking' the issue is through better sexual education, better availability of protection/contraceptives, better independent support systems for young kids, etc, etc, etc as a means of making the issue as obsolete as possible indirectly without touching legality. There's not much else you can meaningfully do to confront with the underlying causes and just outright rendering it illegal doesn't address the situation or even stop it from happening to a significant degree. You can't even regulate validity of reason either, a person is much more aware of the particulars involved their personal circumstances and involving the state to make a decision on their behalf when the matter involves intangibles like fitness of parenthood, potential quality of life, moral obligation in non-consensual pregnancy etc is insane imuo. I'm not sure what Trump's angle of attack would be here since the majority favor it anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hard counter posted:

That's dumb, did Trump provide a rationale or explain how he was going to do it? Even as an unpopular-opinion-having ~*pro-lifer*~ I think the only long term way of 'attacking' the issue is through better sexual education, better availability of protection/contraceptives, better independent support systems for young kids, etc, etc, etc as a means of making the issue as obsolete as possible indirectly without touching legality. There's not much else you can meaningfully do to confront with the underlying causes and just outright rendering it illegal doesn't address the situation or even stop it from happening to a significant degree. You can't even regulate validity of reason either, a person is much more aware of the particulars involved their personal circumstances and involving the state to make a decision on their behalf when the matter involves intangibles like fitness of parenthood, potential quality of life, moral obligation in non-consensual pregnancy etc is insane imuo. I'm not sure what Trump's angle of attack would be here since the majority favor it anyway.

Haha, of course he didn't

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guarantee the only thing that went through his head when that question was asked was "what do these idiots want to hear?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

dewey defeats truman

"You provide the pictures, I'll provide the war."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to confess, if you're turning on the TV and seeing stuff like John Oliver being a smug rich British guy going "lol 'Drumpf' is a silly word lol the dumbass hicks all love a guy with a stupid name lol" I wouldn't be surprised if you gave credence to fake news.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the main characteristic of fake news is that it's intentionally completely false and designed for your racist idiot uncle to read on Facebook. Just because someone like WP or NYT makes a mistake doesn't put them in the same league as fake news.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
All this blame on fake news, Comey, Bernie Bros, Alt-right, racism, and Russia propaganda narratives are being pushed hard by the Democratic Party establishment because they refuse to take responsibility for their failures.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Power_of_the_glory posted:

All this blame on fake news, Comey, Bernie Bros, Alt-right, racism, and Russia propaganda narratives are being pushed hard by the Democratic Party establishment because they refuse to take responsibility for their failures.

It's almost like there are a variety of reasons that lead to people voting one way or another and blaming it on any one thing is really dumb

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
please, will somebody confess to eating something stupid with ketchup on it instead of doing political potshots, i beg of you.

unpopular opinion: pet cats running around isn't a big problem unless you live on some kind of isolated island with flightless ground-nesting birds that don't already have to deal with ground-dwelling predators. you guys in the US have like, bobcats, and badgers, raccoons, lynx, foxes & whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My opinion is that Taylor Swift isn't much of a singer, and also that Kanye was right insofar as, while Beyoncé's video wasn't one of the best videos of all time (OF ALL TIME) it was still better than Taylor Swift's video.

My other opinion is that prog rock, nine times out of ten, isn't really rock music at all. It's just people wanking and noodling and squawking about elves and half-baked philosophy. I think the only worthwhile variety of prog rock is the really early stuff from the late 1960s and very early 1970s when it was still identifiable as jazz or R&B.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The McRib is overrated

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not to mention some animals, like grey squirrels, are actually overpopulated in cities and occur in unnaturally high densities there (squirrels occur at around 8 times the population densities in cities than in the wild). Also, sometimes your cat just sucks at catching anything and isn't a threat. My cat is an indoor cat, but my mother's insanely stupid and pointlessly violent cat goes outside to take a dump and that's about it, she's afraid of birds, snakes, and small pieces of ham so she's probably not doing too much damage.

Admittedly, our family's former cat took to the fields around our house and was basically death on paws. and would stack deer mice in piles as her little cat job. But we were fine with that because as much as I love almost every kind of animal, to me rodents (with a few exceptions like beavers) are vermin.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

My opinion is that Taylor Swift isn't much of a singer, and also that Kanye was right insofar as, while Beyoncé's video wasn't one of the best videos of all time (OF ALL TIME) it was still better than Taylor Swift's video.

My other opinion is that prog rock, nine times out of ten, isn't really rock music at all. It's just people wanking and noodling and squawking about elves and half-baked philosophy. I think the only worthwhile variety of prog rock is the really early stuff from the late 1960s and very early 1970s when it was still identifiable as jazz or R&B.

If we're talking music, I'll go back to my old standby of saying that Bon Jovi is the best band to come out of the 80s and are still among the best even now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

If we're talking music, I'll go back to my old standby of saying that Bon Jovi is the best band to come out of the 80s and are still among the best even now.

Bon Jovi were fine back when they were a rock band.

Gospel singers rocked harder than most actual rock and roll artists in the 50s and 60s (with the exceptions of Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and possibly Larry Williams).

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Dec 8, 2016

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
RE on cats: I was just reading an article on cat rentals in Detroit to cull the rat population. Spay and neuter them, absolutely, but a boatload of rodents will gently caress up your poo poo and the environment a lot more than Felix and his friends.

Though in my experience, dogs are the best ratters.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Beige posted:

If you're going to argue against arbitrary calendar events why don't you bitch about daylight savings? So a farmer has to start work at 8am now instead of 9am? Don't change time for everyone, stupid!

Next spring, why don't we all just set our clocks half an hour forward? We'll never have to change them again.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Out of the 100s of awesome bands that started in the 80s you went with Bon Jovi? Christ man.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There are a few pretty good reasons to hate Clinton.

Actually no there isnt when faced with the alternative. Also more info coming out about Russian tampering hohoho. Fuckin idiots

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion necessarily, but this last election has me disgusted with every-loving-one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion necessarily, but this last election has me disgusted with every-loving-one.

Including yourself?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

small dogs are just fine and make steadfast friends

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

oldpainless posted:

Including yourself?

Well sure, but that has nothing to do with the election.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
More like Das Booless

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Actually no there isnt when faced with the alternative. Also more info coming out about Russian tampering hohoho. Fuckin idiots
Being a warmonger is still pretty bad even if your opponent is a rape Nazi.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

hard counter posted:

Trump is really more of an "ideas guy".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Das Boo posted:

Well sure, but that has nothing to do with the election.

Hey friend don't put yourself down like that. You get a nice slice of pecan pie and things will be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Including me? I haven't said poo poo about the election in this thread :ohdear: Free miniature American flags for everyone! :911:

Content: Vanilla ice cream and shakes/malts are better than chocolate ones.