Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Melee combat in the demo feels super unsatisfying. I whacked a monster like four times in the head and it didn't feel like it did anything. Haven't found gun yet, might just need to keep looking.

EDIT: Found the gun and managed to get the "Infected Ending". Not sure how many other endings there are.

EDIT 2: And now I got the "True Ending". You get it the same way as the other ending I mentioned, but from what I can tell you can't take any damage against the enemy.

EDIT 3: The True Ending features a bit of text mentioning Ethan escaping the house, going to the authorities and them dismissing him. It mentions that they could find no video tape of a murder.

This message comes up even if you escape with the video tape in your inventory. :psyduck:

Other than that I've not been able to find any use for the dummy finger + hand, or for this "blank book" item that this update introduces.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a P.T.-ish sidequest in the demo for finding the "Five Graves" mentioned in the last update and you use the dumb finger and the book to find them. If you find them all you can open a door in the attic that has a sign that says "YOU'RE THE BEST EVER", a disembodied voice of a girl mockingly laughs at you, and you can pick up a "Dirty Coin" that transfers into RE7 proper.

So that was a thing I guess.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 4, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Died to the monster, not going to bother reatarting the entire thing. Come on you guys could have given us a checkpoint here, jeez. Anyways, boy did this combat not feel good in any way!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

smuh posted:

Died to the monster, not going to bother reatarting the entire thing. Come on you guys could have given us a checkpoint here, jeez. Anyways, boy did this combat not feel good in any way!
The sad part is that the best way to kill the monster is to just ignore it entirely. Run in and get the crank thingamajig and then immediately run back to the door you just came in through. Jack Baker will laugh or whatever and block it with boxes. You can press X twice to kick the door open...and will easily do so before the monster can even get close to you. The second you get through the door, he despawns.

Immediately run back into the room and grab the key in the back area on the upper shelf with the doll. The monster will spawn again, but if you immediately sprint back toward the door you came in the monster will not be able to catch up with you at all. And once again, if you pass through the door he despawns, but permanently this time
. None of this is at all difficult to do.

I don't think this bodes well for the main game at all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Going through doors was an effective zombie escape move in the old games too...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Electromax posted:

People have had a hate boner for this game since the demo launched. Clearly the enemies are supposed to follow you forever

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Electromax posted:

It was also done much more thoughtfully in the older games, since zombies would start in a position that was actually in your way, making it so that skirting by them without taking damage was a bit more difficult than simply running in a straight line while ignoring a hypothetical threat.

And you know, going through doors didn't literally kill zombies either.

Len posted:

People have had a hate boner for this game since the demo launched. Clearly the enemies are supposed to follow you forever
Obviously it shouldn't be forever. It could be more than like five feet though, or there could be an actual reason to kill the thing.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as salty but they spent six months teasing out and building up to what is IMO a pretty bad bit of gameplay.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 4, 2016

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just hope we hear more about the RE 2 remake once RE 7 gets released.

With any luck, both the new Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 games will come out near each other so I can pretend it's 1998 again.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
The ooze at the end of the demo doesn't really seem to react when you shoot it. I feel like in a game where some of the enemies are designed to just monster through your shots and be functionally unkillable it might be good to know when you're actually doing meaningful damage - just like a flinch or something once in a while would be nice.

That's just a small complaint, though, the game looks gorgeous and I always like how Capcom keeps trying new stuff with RE. I'll definitely pick this up when it launches. Did anybody try it in VR yet?

e: oh hey, I finally managed to land a headshot (I have terrible aim) and it reared back. complaint retracted!

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 4, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't bode well that the combat is so shoddy this late in development, but who knows? they might tighten it up a lot before release. it isn't like capcom are newbies when it comes to making action games.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I thought the demo was really good... I think the mold monster being less of an enemy and more of an obstacle worked really well, and the atmosphere was really fun and dreadful. The combat seemed fine, nothing stood out as particularly bad to me. I played it yesterday after it came out and I had a lot of fun solving the gravestone sidequest with different communities online while streaming for some friends in voice chat.

Overall, I think it was really fun and it has me very excited for the main game.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got a big grin when I realized that the final Ustanak fight, in addition to being an obvious Terminator homage, was a reversal of Wesker's final fight, with the Ustanak filling in for Chris.

The best part of that entire fight was letting yourself get hit a couple of times. The first time, Jake just kinda shrugs it off with some bravado-fueled one liner. The second time...

"URGH - OKAY THAT HURT A LITTLE"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well poo poo. I gotta say after Beginning Hour leaving a bad first impression, that update turned it into one of my most anticipated games. I'm not sure if I'm really excited for it as a Resident Evil game still but I am really excited for it in general. going through and finding the secret stuff was really fun, and of course the big kicker is that it seems like the most promising VR experience to date. Everything about it is 10 times better in VR.

VR aside, the demo update really made me hopeful that it will feel like more of a game and less of a walking sim. I hope the different outcomes depending on your actions makes it into the final game but I'm not holding my breath.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since these don't seem to have been posted. Capcom put out 3 short gameplay videos today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mp9oHxEzv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdei7COgUls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJmSSzjSbM

Couple of random thoughts.

I hope the whole game doesn't involve running from the crazy guy in environments consisting of nothing but brown squalor. I consider variety in set pieces a pretty defining part of the series. I hope we get labs and mansions and castles or whatever in there.

There's really nothing here we haven't already seen in some form. Lot's of assets reused from the demo.

Shooting mold monsters confirmed.

Some of the textures look horrendous.

Bee lady seems cool.

It's weird that this game is out in a month and we know so little about it. It might be a smart marketing move but it's hard not to worry that Capcom might be hiding that it's going to be bad.

Edit: Also apparently this guy played for about 4 hours and gives some thoughts on it. He seemed to really like it.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/12/07/i-finally-got-to-shoot-stuff-in-resident-evil-7-and-i-loved-it/

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 8, 2016

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

It's nice to finally see all that in HD, at least.

They've shown off some sort of underground environment, some sort of lab-looking environment, the outside, and different parts of the mansion that have some pretty good differences in atmosphere. Seems like all of the colors and set pieces will be themed around whatever the enemies/dread is of the area. But yeah.... the game does look dimly lit, with the environments either being "warm brown" or "cool grey". If it's used to effectively set a tone, I'll like it. If it comes off as bland, it'll be disappointing.

Not all of the textures are great, but I think they're made worse by this being a VR demo? I only think that because of the way the camera moves, but I could be wrong. Eitherway, it's not the prettiest game. But it's fine.

e: "At one point I’m traipsing from one side of this house to the other in search of mini metal dog heads that form part of a crest on a door. Without them the door won’t open. In another instance I do some entirely optional backtracking through hidden passageways to complete a series of steps to get my hands on a shotgun." It sounds Resident Evil as gently caress. The heart of this game doesn't sound anything like Amnesia or Outlast or PT or whatever bullshit people are saying it is.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 8, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
there is a giant factory in the game's logo and the last trailer showed stuff with 3F on the walls and other lab style areas with the little girl. wouldn't be a resident evil game without a lot of location switching. i doubt we'll see any later areas in the run up. then again the last trailer show a cruise ship/oil rig, i think, right at the start but it's done in a way to make you think its the game's intro but i think it might be a later area.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just realised I could buy a flashing 'Noel' sign and rearrange it into LEON.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

I just realised I could buy a flashing 'Noel' sign and rearrange it into LEON.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THUfgj_4oKk

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would just like to state for the record that I have never seen a single episode of Home Improvement

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Today I realized the one and only true flaw in Resident Evil 6: like with the Wing Shooters' dual-fisted chain quickshot, the Broken Butterfly should allow you to pan fire six targets in rapid succession.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-mortal-night/news/re-mortal-night-v200-features this popped up in my Google feed

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I would just like to state for the record that I have never seen a single episode of Home Improvement

I think I saw the one where Tim screws up something with his wife but then talks to his neighbor and despite messing up the advice still manages to fix things with his comic buffonery.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The gunplay looks awful, and as long as Capcom doesn't release some good shotgun decapitations gameplay videos, I'm not interested in RE7

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The gunplay in VR is a phantom arm that inexplicably sticks out from the side of your head and it tethered to your head movement.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kibayasu posted:

I think I saw the one where Tim screws up something with his wife but then talks to his neighbor and despite messing up the advice still manages to fix things with his comic buffonery.

I saw that one. One of the kids said something sassy, right?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

His wife was named Jill and his costar was Al(bert). :tinfoil:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tim Allen has a show on TV right now and its scarier than anything in the entire Resident Evil franchise.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I laughed at the dumb clip.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Game looks promising, I'm intrigued. My fav RE games are 2 & 4 for the record, so I wouldn't mind some camp and 80s "fun" horror vibes being back in the series at some point though.

The thing I'm dubious on is the somber protagonist's wife story hook. I love Silent Hill 2 (most depressing game of all time), so I'm just kinda like... why go that route here? You can't beat Silent Hill 2's go at that.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.

Heavy Metal posted:

Game looks promising, I'm intrigued. My fav RE games are 2 & 4 for the record, so I wouldn't mind some camp and 80s "fun" horror vibes being back in the series at some point though.

The thing I'm dubious on is the somber protagonist's wife story hook. I love Silent Hill 2 (most depressing game of all time), so I'm just kinda like... why go that route here? You can't beat Silent Hill 2's go at that.

Seems to me the whole wife thing is played straight though at the moment? She even warns you not to get her, which is a reverse of SH2 where Mary basically summons you.

SH2 was a sombre game. it got only that much more bleak when you finish it and discover stuff about James.

I seriously doubt Ethan will be hiding any similar secrets. As the game is presented now Ethan-boooy is prepared to kick some redneck butt to get his wife back, if not exactly being informed beforehand.

The VHS segments could be different in tone though so who knows about those...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MarkVega posted:

Seems to me the whole wife thing is played straight though at the moment? She even warns you not to get her, which is a reverse of SH2 where Mary basically summons you.

SH2 was a sombre game. it got only that much more bleak when you finish it and discover stuff about James.

I seriously doubt Ethan will be hiding any similar secrets. As the game is presented now Ethan-boooy is prepared to kick some redneck butt to get his wife back, if not exactly being informed beforehand.

The VHS segments could be different in tone though so who knows about those...

Just from this commercial/trailer somebody linked, it felt like it was going for a bit of that vibe. Even the feel of the music they play in the second half. And it seems from what she's saying that there's maybe a somber revelation or two in store there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQwaPKbcbUI

Not saying I think it'll be a remake of how it played out in Silent Hill 2, but it does feel like it's throwing a bit of Silent Hill 2 spice in the RE sauce. Not that that's inherently bad, it just feels... odd? I dunno.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 12, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I find it weird that everyones gone straight for the silent hill 2 stuff yet no ones gone for the little creepy girl from f.e.a.r oh-wait-the-same-guy-who-wrote-f.e.a.r-is-writing-re7-hmmmmmmmmm-hacky stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fear was really cliche but I enjoyed it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm going to ballpark a rough estimate that at least 90% of the target audience of Resident Evil 7 has never played or perhaps even heard of Silent Hill 2. The best you might get is "oh the sequel to that movie??"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Did he also write the sequels? That would be something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One product doing a story does not mean it is forever off-limits and something as generic as "my wife is missing, I want to find her" doesn't really have to hit the same beats.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

One product doing a story does not mean it is forever off-limits and something as generic as "my wife is missing, I want to find her" doesn't really have to hit the same beats.

Nah it's a classic argument, I hear it all the time. The ol' "If I wanted <blank> then I would just play/watch <blank>!" I never understood that argument at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While we're on the topic of Silent Hill, what's the best way to check those games out? I think heard that the HD collection was bad, but that a patch fixed it?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think its the PSN classics version of Silent Hill for sure. Now for 2 and 3...yeah. Im not sure if the original is available digitally but thats where you would want to go

And no, they weren't patch. You'll hear a lot of people denounce the ports for voice acting but theres also a lot of missing visual effects that will really hurt your playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Creamed Cormp posted:

The gunplay looks awful, and as long as Capcom doesn't release some good shotgun decapitations gameplay videos, I'm not interested in RE7

Awful gunplay is just part of the return to the series pre-4 roots.