Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Stickarts posted:

Lethbridge is known as the windy city of Alberta. On the prairies in general poo poo is super windy and hurricane-force winds are not necessarily common, but also not unheard of. Plow winds will tear buildings apart just as capably as a hurricane, if more localised in their effect. I guess "Lethbridge Plow Winds" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely.

that's stupid
they're obviously named after the signature funnel cloud produced by their former mascot, tazz™ the tazmanian devil™

e: lmao the lethbridge hurricanes got away with this for decades and the Creator can't even get a parachute team to leave him alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How about the Vegas Burger Kings.

nobody is using that name it's completely original.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm.. so elated at this news

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just loving use Knights because a US court isn't going to show deference to a Canadian copyright.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
gold, and knights

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Foley is a Trumpist so he can probably do whatever he wants.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
--- RICH PEOPLE PROBLEMS ---

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Seattle Arena ownership group wrote a letter to the city council to clarify a couple of points. Most notable for this thread is that the requested street vacation (and thus arena construction) will be conditional on acquiring either an NBA or NHL team. In other words, they are willing to build an arena with an NHL team only. Though people suspected this would be the case with the all private deal, this is a new stance--the prior MOU allowed construction only with an NBA team.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/12/8/13891730/seattle-arena-group-reiterates-new-offer-to-city-street-vacation-dependent-on-nba-or-nhl-team

So, it will now be much easier for Seattle to have a shovel ready arena for NHL expansion. They just need to flip one city council vote (certainly not a given, because Seattle).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

shirts and skins posted:

Seattle Arena ownership group wrote a letter to the city council to clarify a couple of points. Most notable for this thread is that the requested street vacation (and thus arena construction) will be conditional on acquiring either an NBA or NHL team. In other words, they are willing to build an arena with an NHL team only. Though people suspected this would be the case with the all private deal, this is a new stance--the prior MOU allowed construction only with an NBA team.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/12/8/13891730/seattle-arena-group-reiterates-new-offer-to-city-street-vacation-dependent-on-nba-or-nhl-team

So, it will now be much easier for Seattle to have a shovel ready arena for NHL expansion. They just need to flip one city council vote (certainly not a given, because Seattle).

And yet I still have the utmost faith that the current city council will still gently caress this total, straight up gift, completely up.

Sawant is a lazy, 2 faced hypocrite populist and Bagshaw is the literal embodiment of the uninformed Seattle NIMBYist.

What? No I'm not bitter you're bitter shut up :colbert:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm laying in bed getting ready to get up for work and I just had the amazing thought that I can't wait for Vegas to get an AHL franchise and have their affiliate actually have a better name than their parent team

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm laying in bed getting ready to get up for work and I just had the amazing thought that I can't wait for Vegas to get an AHL franchise and have their affiliate actually have a better name than their parent team

Bonus if it's 'Black Knights'. :laugh:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hi thread, is this the year to come back from my decade long hiatus from following the Leafs?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hi thread, is this the year to come back from my decade long hiatus from following the Leafs?

They're still not a great team but they have some exciting young players (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly), a new goalie who started out the season looking really bad but has been pretty good lately and seems to be back on track (Frederik Andersen), and a braintrust in place that seems to preaching a patient, measured, analytic-friendly approach. They've also drafted well and used the high picks that came from their crappiness well, and jettisoned a lot of the bad contracts that were bogging them down like Dion Phaneuf and Dave Clarkson. It's absolutely a good time, there's even a non-zero chance they'll get the last playoff spot (I wouldn't bank on it though).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2016

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The only area of their roster that's really sub-par is defense (though the prospect pool is also pretty shallow at centre and goaltending), and the expansion draft + oodles of cap space means that they shouldn't have a hard time addressing it this trade deadline/offseason.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Foley will make drat sure that doesn't happen, by unveiling the Reno Incels.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was in New York last weekend and stopped in the NHL store because my ears were cold and I felt like overpaying for a Pens knit cap. They had Vegas shirts and it warmed my soul to know that Creator's will has been made manifest.

The logo looks awful in person.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Lethbridge winds have gotten up to 100 km/h in recent history.. it be windy there. That's not quite hurricane force winds, which scale as low as 150 km/h, but the name isn't that far out of left field.

Although why the town wanted to name the team after something that makes them miserable is anyone's guess. Supposedly the reason that Lethbridge historically has one of the highest suicide rates in Canada is because of the dull whistling that can go on 24 hours a day from the drat wind.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

yellowcar posted:

Bonus if it's 'Black Knights'. :laugh:

Supposedly the AHL team will play in a building being constructed near a mall on the west side of town (never mind, that's a practice rink). We're really used to goofy nonsense as a minor league hockey town (the Wranglers used to do midnight games and themed costume games etc) so I would really love "Industry Knights" as a team name. It's both a play on a commonly used term locally, and also just quietly ribs the NHL team name. (Edit: Works well for Reno, too!)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 19, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Craptacular! posted:

"Industry Knights"

That would be loving rad and hilarious so of course it'll never happen but goddamn :allears: even as a once-a-month theme night or whatever would still work.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
They're just going to have a big wheel covered with names and they'll just spin it at the start of each season.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Las Vegas DEFAULT_TEAM_NAME

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

LumpyGumby posted:

Guess we'll have to try and play an exhibition game in a different hockey-less desert. Like Arizona.

The best kind!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

yellowcar posted:

The Las Vegas DEFAULT_TEAM_NAME

the las vegas; drop table

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Submitted without comment:

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/829860917374357504

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Why did he get the Stanley cock?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As I was saying in the news/views thread, they've been making a cable-access reality show of getting a team off the ground. At least that implies they're doing something.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Wow, a public access show. The Golden Knights now rank rightfully alongside such greats as Squirt TV and Gorgeous George :george:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
How exactly do you get "behind vegas ice"?

I can totally see that show being pretty much 30 minutes of Foley blowing himself and standing around "directing" things ala North Korea's Kim Jong Un supervising the military exercises.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Incidentally, Chris Hansen's ownership group has refiled its petition to vacate Occidental St in Seattle. This is the last approval that they would need before being able to build, and it's what the city council denied last year.

The city doesn't plan to finalize this review until the summer, after they have had a chance to review proposals from two groups on redeveloping Key Arena. NBA/NHL dual capacity strongly desired.

https://twitter.com/KING5Now/status/829434186528231424

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
As someone who pays as no attention to the NBA as possible, how likely are they to get a team back in Seattle? Do they have any move candidates or would they get an expansion team? I know the Oklahoma City move was full of bullshit, but if you have someone who wants to build an arena for hockey/basketball at no expense to the city, shouldn't the league be all over it?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They'd likely get an expansion, but as Duke Chin's posting history here will tell you, the arena isn't likely to happen because the old Kingdome teams aren't interested in sharing the neighborhood with a third building.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

As someone who pays as no attention to the NBA as possible, how likely are they to get a team back in Seattle? Do they have any move candidates or would they get an expansion team? I know the Oklahoma City move was full of bullshit, but if you have someone who wants to build an arena for hockey/basketball at no expense to the city, shouldn't the league be all over it?

The NHL is desperate to move into Seattle and the prospect of Seattle being able to do NHL in the next 10 years (with a healthy dose of Canada's economic crisis to boot) probably killed Quebec's chance of getting an expansion franchise (they're going to be the new "BUILD ME A NEW ARENA/WRITE OFF MY TAXES OR I'M SELLING THIS TEAM AND RELOCATING TO WINNIPEG DAMMIT").

Seattle is a large TV market in an area with a history in Hockey (albeit one so far away Vancouver has won a Stanley Cup in the same timeframe; they were the first US team to take the Stanley Cup which happened in 1917 to give you some idea of how far back we're talking).

It might not be the most sound idea the NHL has ever had - Seattle already has a (decent) team in the NFL, a (poo poo, but probably popular) team in the MLB and the only reason an arena gets built is because the city is so desperate to bring in an NBA team. Which suggests that the market could easily get very saturated with sports.
Having said that Portland is a lovely idea for a whole whacktonne of reasons, nowhere else west of Detroit is a realistic option for expansion with only "put a second team in Montreal/Toronto" (all of which have colossal issues inherent to them) and "Lets recreate the Nordiques and go through 'Good Friday Massacre Pt2: we promise this is better than Anchorman 2'" as serious bids for teams at the moment.

So for a quick recap (I'm probably missing a whole bunch, so feel free to correct me):

Teams that Might be Relocating: 2

Carolina
Carolina has an owner who wants to sell, in a market which isn't *that* great for hockey when the team is dogshit. Speaking of, you'll never guess what the team is right now. THAT'S RIGHT! DOGSHIT!
If they continue to be dogshit for a few years they might be a real chance to get moved, but right now there's been enough recent success and there's enough promise in the roster that they'll magically find a way to stay in Raleigh. They're a good year to two years away from there being actual talk of them moving.

Phoenix Arizona
Arizona has a bunch of major issues regarding future arena tenancy. Their current arena is in the wrong spot and the owners of the arena want to make sure they get their pound of flesh before the Coyotes move somewhere else.
Having said that, their team is young and promising, there's an Arizona born superstar in Toronto (who I'm sure will find his way down to be the hometown hero at some point) and as far as I'm aware their ownership has been stable, quiet and... good for at least the last 2-3 years.
If they can't bullshit their way into a new arena deal within the next two years, and if the team flatlines from the "aww, they're so cute!" stage to the "aren't they supposed to be winning stanley cups by now?" stage then they'll be moving on. They're potentially further away from there being real talk of relocation, simply because their owner hasn't actively discussed selling the team.

Teams that won't relocate, but might end up playing away from home for a bit:

New York Islanders
They're not leaving New York long term. They might move to Hartford for a yea- ahahahahahaha no. They'll stay in New York because the NHL needs to have two teams in New York.

Teams that Aren't Going Anywhere Anytime Soon Bucko:

Florida
They're good, they've got very good young players and the attendance isn't literally league worst right now. Also their Drumpf-loving owner seems pretty happy with everything as it is.

Columbus
If you're silly enough to go online and look up "NHL relocations" you'll end up with a bunch of slideshows, most of which mention the Blue Jackets at some point.
They were terrible for a whole bunch of years, and while it remains to be seen how much of this year is fluke and how much is real, for now all you need to know is they aren't moving. They've got some insanely good deals tying them to the city for *time*.

Expansion Slots left: 1.
Teams that are being made: Las Vegas Creators Wet Dreams

Cities that want a team:
There's a bunch of these, and I'm a snarky rear end in a top hat so...

Kansas City, Hamilton, Saskatoon, "Greater Toronto", "Montreal Anglophone"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IiHRSBAMwU
(On a serious note, Kansas has never actually proven it wants a pro-Hockey team, Saskatoon is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small, and the rest (Hamilton, Greater Toronto, anything to do with Montreal) will get torn to shreds paying territorial fees to existing franchises in their area - there was a rumour (probably an untrue one) going around that the Greater Toronto idea was popped by Toronto basically requesting an additional 100-500million for them to not veto it out of spite. It sounds silly, but this is the same franchise that made a WHA team playing in the Maple Leaf Gardens bring their own bench cushions and make their own dressing rooms.

Quebec City
Has an (18,000 seat, not sure where everyone came up with the "lol doesn't it only seat 13k?!?" figure from) arena ready to go. Has a rich, probably Drumpf supporting, pretty racist white owner ready to go. Has a rabid fanbase ready to go.
Is also a very small market, that speaks French for much the same reasons as the French ("foutre rosbif, nous parlons français ici") and which will likely struggle long term once "that new team smell" wears off.
Will likely be relocation bait until some small market US team eats the dust. Will then set a record for fastest sellout of season tickets.

Seattle
Doesn't have an arena because the City Council is absolutely moronic.
Everything else is going it's way. It will almost certainly end up with the second expansion slot of the options around.

TL;DR
Seattle is going to get a new team if it can pull its head out of its arse.
Quebec is going to be relocation bait from now until one of the sun-belt teams dies.
The Hurricanes and Coyotes are the only realistic "they might move" teams in the league, and even then it's far from "Coyotes 2 years ago!" or "Coyotes 5 years ago!" or "Coyotes and Thrashers 7 years ago!" (I knew the streak would end eventually).
The league is actually in a really strong spot right now. Buffalo and Edmonton - who prominently featured in "they're gonna get moved!" speculation towards 2011 - have got really good solid ownership in place and at least look like not being hot garbage for the next 5 years.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 10, 2017

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Craptacular! posted:

They'd likely get an expansion, but as Duke Chin's posting history here will tell you, the arena isn't likely to happen because the old Kingdome teams aren't interested in sharing the neighborhood with a third building.

The Kingdome teams aren't the problem anymore, Hansen has worked out deals with both (and the Sounders) for scheduling that has made everybody happy. The main opposition has always been the Port, whose management is corrupt as hell and wants that land for themselves. It was their pressure on/control over the Council that got the last street vacation request blocked. There's a minor scandal going on right now over them giving out improper raises, but they're still heavily rooted in the area.

The other source of interference is the Key Arena situation, because the city owns the arena and doesn't want it to sit empty without getting something for it. So, they have requested proposals for its redevelopment, and look to have attracted serious interests from two groups. The Council looks like it will consider their proposals before voting on the SODO arena. Maybe the groups will come up with something, but there are some big structural problems with any Key proposal: the arena isn't suited to NHL and doesn't have a big enough NBA footprint without massive changes, the city may pursue landmark status for the roof, the neighborhood has even less parking than it did in 2008 because Amazon moved next door, and they won't have light rail for another 18 years.

Meanwhile, SODO has had some improvements since its last proposal was voted down: it no longer proposes any private funding, it will contribute even more to traffic mitigation, and the ownership group added Russell Wilson as a minority owner/PR guy. I expect this won't be resolved until late summer, but absent a home run Key Arena proposal or major fuckery from the council (absolutely possible) SODO should get the green light at that time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Also the people putting forth the Key Arena :jerkoff: proposal is AEG and, goddamn you two dudes did a great job effort posting up there :hfive:, so I'll just leave it at "AEG can suck the corn from my creamy turds." The Key Arena is exactly what the Islanders are going through right now with the Barclays center before it was cool. Burn that building to the ground or make it music only and let the Hansen/Nordstrom/Russel the Mussel contingent build the SODO arena.

A couple of other fun facts:

The (now former) Port Commissioner
  • was recently publicly admonished by a member of his board for his "handling" of the SODO arena situation
  • got a DUI recently
  • gave himself a covert raise that most of the board didn't know about from tax payer money
  • gave unauthorized raises to the tune of $4.7 big M million dollars of taxpayer money to port employees
  • was caught in a quid pro quo advertising scheme with the Seattle Times
  • took numerous tickets ♪ frrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooom ♪.... The Seattle Mariners [mild shock.gif] as well as tenants of the Port [:siren:ethics violation wut wut:siren:]
  • conflicting property plans by the port for that same land came to light last spring which conjure conflict of interest and explain why they're being loving dicks
  • oh yeah aaaaaaaaaaaaaand a classic sexual harassment complaint

Terribly commentary writing aside this article has a ton of good links to all of the related stories: http://q13fox.com/2017/02/05/commentary-an-untrustworthy-port-makes-seattle-city-councils-sodo-arena-stance-look-foolish/

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is the Seattle council still trying to use the excuse of "We don't want to build unless we're guaranteed basketball"? I want to say that during this saga one of the hold ups was the council not caring that the arena would definitely have a hockey team and possibly basketball when the NBA got to it because without the NBA it was a non-starter.

I'm more curious what the NBA would do. Move a failing market (if there are any? Sacramento was the last team I heard having issues but I think that got resolved.) Expand to 31 teams? Unless the NBA is an old boys club I don't see why they aren't all over this idea and throwing support to it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I could see NHL working in Portland just because hipsters might latch onto the least popular of the four major sports eagerly.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I could see NHL working in Portland just because hipsters might latch onto the least popular of the four major sports eagerly.

Don't they already have pretty good support for the Timbers?

Pretty sure the NHL would be too mainstream for Portland hipsters.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
How terrible would a Quebec City team be in terms of on-ice product? I imagine they would be even more stupid about wanting on Francophones on-ice and on the bench, which would seem to severely limit their competitive ability.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Schremp Howard posted:

Is the Seattle council still trying to use the excuse of "We don't want to build unless we're guaranteed basketball"?

That was the previous MOU behind the public funding, which is now kaput because the arena will be all private. The new street vacation request states that an arena will not be built until either an NBA or NHL team is required. Presumably moved/expanded teams would use Key Arena as a temporary site. Don't think the Council cares about the NBA/NHL distinction anymore because there isn't any public skin in making the arena pencil out.

I think at this point NBA would need to expand to come to Seattle.There is talk of moving to 32 teams now that the new CBA is in place. It doesn't seem like there are any franchises looking to bolt like in the NHL, and I think Seattle fans would prefer expansion anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Seattle wants the NBA and the NHL wants Seattle so between both things will eventually happen and for the arena situation there should be a resolution sometime in 2017. City is in process for a RFP to redo Key Arena for either NBA/NHL or music/special events only. City has a hard on to not lose their asset and business for it. SODO new proposal won't move until that RFP is concluded.

Also, only the Mariners have been in opposition to Sodo. Seahawks & Sounders have been positive. The port has been the #1 opponent though citing more traffic concerns with an arena in their neighborhood. SODO group has agreed to traffic concessions that they'll pay for, and a scheduling agreement with the other 2 stadiums. SODO also has all transportation options to get to/from it: light rail, heavy rail, busses, ferries, convergence of multiple highways. Key Arena sight has busses only and light rail in 20 years.

• Locked thread