Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay so I know it's already been said, but what the hell? Why are they doing catapult procedures for a hovering ship? There's no gravity, you idiots. There's no ocean. You do not need to reach minimum airspeed in order to avoid crashing- you can just float out of the bay. Also I like the part where they order the ship to throttle up while in a hover and somehow the magic air brakes keep it still on the deck.

There's atmosphere and gravity or those Poser models scurrying about in the nude wouldn't make sense

I just love that this is the loving footage they make for their backers, they must truly hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

You must also really hate Star Wars.

I do

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Nicholas posted:

If this is what they are showing off there is no way we'll see a sq42 release in the next 6 months years.

FIFY

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Since you're reading this, Hi-ban, you know why. It's because I called you a liar after you lied, and you were afraid that this reflect poorly on your future lies. Now you're doing it again, you silly git. :D

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Is it just me or does the plane dip a little once it leaves the launching zone.

Oh god it's just the wing commander movie.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

You monster, I get you would hate the old ones, but how can you be hatin the prequels.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

stingtwo posted:

Is it just me or does the plane dip a little once it leaves the launching zone.

Oh god it's just the wing commander movie.

CRobber. CRobber never changes.

Or at least his understanding of physics and of space never does. Kind of impressive for someone who claims to have “taken physics classes” at Manchester. Maybe he meant some grade school, rather than the university, because that's about the level of his grasp of the topic…

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Hey FatKraken, congrats, you made MVP this week (Also lol that now it is blatantly obvious the big wigs at CIG follow this thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wTqdDXplc&t=634s

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 8, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tippis posted:

Or at least his understanding of physics and of space never does. Kind of impressive for someone who claims to have “taken physics classes” at Manchester. Maybe he meant some grade school, rather than the university, because that's about the level of his grasp of the topic…

Speaking of physics, did you like the death ray tank I posted? The physics made me think of you when I found it :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Speaking of physics, did you like the death ray tank I posted? The physics made me think of you when I found it :)

I think my brain rejected it out of hand and I scrolled right past it. :D

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

nawledgelambo posted:

Hey Xeareal, congrats, you made MVP this week (Also lol that now it is blatantly obvious the big wigs at CIG follow this thread):

Looks like Choc Chipizen is back on the menu, boys.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I haven't. What kind of beer is it?

It's the result of the 3/11/2011 earthquake in Japan also striking Hitachino's brewery. They had a new mash just before the quake struck. The damage led to a 3-day power outage, and the casks of mash were all tilted at an angle, so the mash entered spontaneous fermentation. I think the original intention was a witbier, but what they wound up with has the look and feel of a sour Flemish red ale. The brewery was able to make 8,000 bottles of this disaster beer -- it's pretty interesting if you like the sour style. Spicy, sweet n sour, with some red fruit tang. It's pretty cool that the brewery was able to claw something worthwhile out of their misfortune.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

when this game finally releases, will the war between humans and the vanduuls in sq42 be the grand space opera that redefines both gameplay and story telling for generations to come?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean I'm irrationally irritated at how loving stupid that is. 900 years in the future and they need five guys running around doing some bullshit choreography from when giant airplanes were launched with steam off of ships.

Gee, I wonder how other space sims do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zbowAlZPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SI1CB4rcf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvVqRPVSWI

Yeah it definitely makes more sense to have five guys sit around getting ready to take a face full of plasma exhaust.

I still stand by my opinion that the most convincing spaceship launching from a spaceship sequence is Vipers launching from a Battlestar (remake series, original was goofy since they "turbo boosted out"). Fighter gets put into tube, Airlock is closed behind it, then a catapult hurls it into space to provide it with it's initial momentum.

A bunch of rando dudes prancing around and doing stupid dances is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It's Spaceballs level of silly, but trying to be serious.

The only good thing about it is it reminded me of the greatest Goon spacegame video ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdJqBBb4yO4&t=150s

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beer tastes like farts IMHO

Have I just not drank enough in my lifetime to learn to enjoy the farty taste?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

History Comes Inside! posted:

if you don't like sniffin your own farts, well, i just don't know what to tell you

didn't you have a cute black cat avatar a while ago

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2016

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It's the result of the 3/11/2011 earthquake in Japan also striking Hitachino's brewery. They had a new mash just before the quake struck. The damage led to a 3-day power outage, and the casks of mash were all tilted at an angle, so the mash entered spontaneous fermentation. I think the original intention was a witbier, but what they wound up with has the look and feel of a sour Flemish red ale. The brewery was able to make 8,000 bottles of this disaster beer -- it's pretty interesting if you like the sour style. Spicy, sweet n sour, with some red fruit tang. It's pretty cool that the brewery was able to claw something worthwhile out of their misfortune.

I always find ideas like this pretty interesting. Reminds me of Lambics, since I'm assuming it was wild yeast and other bacteria that did the fermentation, right?

It might taste like poo poo, but its kinda neat that "raising" some native yeast and making beer with it could have wildly varying results, which could include vinegar, I guess.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
like why are you even following this clusterfuck if you don't like taking a big snort of flatulence

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

are you sure it was beer you were drinking and not someones liquid diarrhea squirts?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Polish Avenger posted:

I always find ideas like this pretty interesting. Reminds me of Lambics, since I'm assuming it was wild yeast and other bacteria that did the fermentation, right?

It might taste like poo poo, but its kinda neat that "raising" some native yeast and making beer with it could have wildly varying results, which could include vinegar, I guess.

Yes, the mash was 'infected' by wild strains of yeast and bacteria. It doesn't taste like poo poo, fortunately! The brewery is almost certainly full of airborne fermenting bugs thanks to all the beers they make, so their colonizing microbes were well-suited to the task of making something drinkable.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Zzr posted:

What ? Greeks, romans, egyptians and all pre-monotheism cultures wouldn't aggree. It's only with the coming of the only one that sexuality went to man + woman and nothing else. Polytehism's folks lived a happy sexual life with everyone. These last 2k years of dark age are a parenthesis.

Weeeell this is sort of true, but lest we forget that homophobic slandering was very common in roman politics, so clearly there were some notions that homosexuality wasn't the most honourable thing a good citizen should dabble with.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Percelus posted:

when this game finally releases, will the war between humans and the vanduuls in sq42 be the grand space opera that redefines both gameplay and story telling for generations to come?

From various leaks Sq42lude has only human involved. Apparently the Vandull characters where made to the wrong scale compared to the levels, so they have to redo/adjust all of the mocap where they appear.

If they maintain the current funding/produced material ratio you will have to wait another 4 year for the next chapter of Crobberts 60M$ mocap magnus opus.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Stop drinking Heineken and the problem solves itself.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

did you notice the loving watch? Isn't that the same croberts has?

Nvm the guy who actually had to spend time on it.

Space Popeye!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

nawledgelambo posted:

Hey FatKraken, congrats, you made MVP this week (Also lol that now it is blatantly obvious the big wigs at CIG follow this thread):

:aaaaa:

they Archered my procedural cookie planets! Which were already Archered...

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lol yes everything is coming along nicely keep doing what you're doing

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Fatkraken posted:

:aaaaa:

they Archered my procedural cookie planets! Which were already Archered...

You're famous!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Today I learn that every company is crowdfunded because they get money from customers.

Tippis posted:

I think we all know why he dropped out of college.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ShredsYouSay posted:

Wait saying the Holocaust was bad is sjw now?

Like yeah you get some bell ends who are insufferable, but generally those attacked as sjws are good and chill folk.

Also why do games bring out the worst in people?

People who self-identify as 'gamers' are the types of people who define themselves by virtue of the types of media they consume i.e. awful people, and people who can afford to spend 10 hours a day gaming are either sheltered NEETs who don't need to conceive of a world outside of their mother's basements or else literal children, neither of which are groups that spend much time attending to understanding the struggles of others because self-absorbed navel-gazing is their limit of understanding of the human condition.

When the boundaries of your worldview are constrained to the point where your primary motivations are getting enough chicken tendies and mountain dew to fuel your next gamer sesh; a Brobdingnagian struggle that few others appreciate, then women who complain about equal rights are just whining oval office slut whores who wouldn't gently caress you in High School anyway, and those uppity browns and fags blocking the freeway made you late getting home from work at Best Buy so you missed your raid, the pricks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

unit lost

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

For the difficult times ahead.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

Today I learn that every company is crowdfunded because they get money from customers.
We all know that economics and business is not a citizen forte, no need to belabour the point. Well, unless it's fun. Which is always.

quote:

I think we all know why he dropped out of college.
My question is more how the hell he even got in.

…come to think of it, if it weren't for the alledged 12-year difference in age between them, I would almost expect he and Sandi went to the same forge-your-credentials seminar. But that would be mean. And too likely to really be comfortable.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 8, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5h93u5/star_citizen_around_the_verse_316_atx/daydd7p/

If you have to preface "I'm straight, but" then follow up with some homoerotic lust about said person, I have news for you, you're probably not.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this well

this is just fantastic

lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

this well

this is just fantastic

lol

Star Citizen Progress for 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

Wait saying the Holocaust was bad is sjw now?

Like yeah you get some bell ends who are insufferable, but generally those attacked as sjws are good and chill folk.

Also why do games bring out the worst in people?

Its not that games bring out the worst in people; the internet brings out the worst in people. Its easy to be a keyboard warrior flinging poo poo you'd never say to a person's face.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

this was hands down one of the worst AtV's they've put out in a long time. Under 20 minutes, almost entirely recycled content, that dreadful SQ42 footage (also recycled), Steve Bender looking like he just wants to end himself, and almost no information about the live-stream next week. And this was the "season finale". lol.

Hopefully they have some big showstoppers for the livestream next week, but it's not really characteristic of CIG to be so tight-lipped if they had something cool to show. They're treating it like it's an extended RtV or something similarly low-profile.

Unsurprisingly the episode is leading to some reflection on the year at large.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5h9caq/is_that_all_this_week/

The end of the year livestream can't go without a bang. SM alone is not going to cut it. I would legit be surprised if CIG does not show some kind of demo/video about SQ42 or similar. After all they were almost there a couple months ago... right?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

this well

this is just fantastic

lol

Carrier deck operations in a space ship is pretty silly. I'm pretty sure the ships would just be ejected out via some automated contraption. Whether that be torpedo tube style, flinging them out of a wider bay, computer controlled departure, or something even more innovative, invoking modern aircraft carrier launching procedures just shows an absolute and complete lack of imagination.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5h93u5/star_citizen_around_the_verse_316_atx/daydd7p/

If you have to preface "I'm straight, but" then follow up with some homoerotic lust about said person, I have news for you, you're probably not.

I think this says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgjEM0RACOs&t=14s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

What does it pay to be the guy who waves his hands around to direct space ships? What are the button combinations to wave your hands around? How many shitizens are drooling at the opportunity for this job?