Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Restoration Hardware crushed after holiday guidance disappoints

Time for CIG to open a new office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

What does it pay to be the guy who waves his hands around to direct space ships? What are the button combinations to wave your hands around? How many shitizens are drooling at the opportunity for this job?

The single most impressive part of this episode for me, was the deck crew animations. FFFFUUUU!!! Dat ---- was off the hook! When I could tell exactly what the deck crew were doing and telling me as the pilot, without it being explained to me - that was insanely good. All the animations of the deck crew were obvious, they were informative, they told the pilot everything they needed to know and would likely give us really great immersion.
LOVE IT!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

this well

this is just fantastic

lol

The year is 2970. Space fighters are launched from carrier ships with a team of guys waving their arms around to communicate like they did on aircraft carriers in 1970.

The brilliance of Chris Roberts who's every creative thought can be summed up as "20th century military tech but in space"

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 8, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

nawledgelambo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5h93u5/star_citizen_around_the_verse_316_atx/daydd7p/

If you have to preface "I'm straight, but" then follow up with some homoerotic lust about said person, I have news for you, you're probably not.

It doesn't matter if those people aren't heterosexual

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It's been bugging me for a while, but how does search and rescue work?

Does the lost person just have to log in to their account, and spend all their play time floating helplessly in space, or stranded in desolate nothingness on a planet, for days on end, until one of the search and rescue players manages to find them? Sounds like tons of fun.

Batte tax.
http://i.imgur.com/b9YCAwm.gifv

Somebody tell me how to link gifv, I've forgotten.

Edit: Fixed the gifv, thanks lazorexplosion

XK fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 9, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

Carrier deck operations in a space ship is pretty silly. I'm pretty sure the ships would just be ejected out via some automated contraption. Whether that be torpedo tube style, flinging them out of a wider bay, computer controlled departure, or something even more innovative, invoking modern aircraft carrier launching procedures just shows an absolute and complete lack of imagination.

I'd imagine some kind of overhead gantry crane that just pushes the ship outside the hangar and closes the airlocks (if for some moronic reason you need a pressurised hangar to begin with). Then push off with RCS and be on your merry way.

Maybe someone should show Aliens to Chris — it's even from the same year as Top Gun and it is a far more sensible source to Archer from.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

The end of the year livestream can't go without a bang. SM alone is not going to cut it. I would legit be surprised if CIG does not show some kind of demo/video about SQ42 or similar. After all they were almost there a couple months ago... right?

you're thinking too much like a succesful company. think about what the minimum viable product necessary to fleece a couple more million out of some desperados is and assume they'll land slightly below that

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I.N.R.I posted:

I'll read all of these 10 thousand word long posts later. but in the mean time I'd like to respectfully remind everyone in this thread to call or visit your parents wherever possible, because they love and care about you

Most of the posts are very few words or screenshots of other people's ten thousand words. It won't take as long as you think!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

It doesn't matter if those people aren't heterosexual

I thought you didn't read the posts...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

The year is 2970. Space fighters are launched from carrier ships with a team of guys waving their arms around to communicate like they did on aircraft carriers in 1970.

The brilliance of Chris Roberts who's every creative thought can be summed up as "20th century military tech but in space"
yeah I'd figure the whole computer systems of the year 3,000 could prob handle a simple checklist of "start your poo poo up to fly"

in fact I'm pretty sure in 1,000 years all combat will be completely loving automated and space combat will be 100,000s of missiles and nukes and lasers n poo poo all fired by computer, flying in a billion directions hoping to hit whatever since space is loving huge

but I got to remember this isn't a space sim shooting for realism, this is just a fun arcade shooter

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

What does it pay to be the guy who waves his hands around to direct space ships? What are the button combinations to wave your hands around? How many shitizens are drooling at the opportunity for this job?

Screw the shitizens. Imagine how many goons are drooling at the opportunity.

More specifically, at the opportunity of taking the job of the launch master, who never acknowledges any of the signs and never clears the ship for launch, thus blocking the entire hangar for everyone. :D

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Tippis posted:

I'd imagine some kind of overhead gantry crane that just pushes the ship outside the hangar and closes the airlocks (if for some moronic reason you need a pressurised hangar to begin with). Then push off with RCS and be on your merry way.

Maybe someone should show Aliens to Chris — it's even from the same year as Top Gun and it is a far more sensible source to Archer from.

lets not forget that ships already take off and land in the PU without the need for a deck crew or a special apparatus. so i really dont get the point of this

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Daztek posted:

The single most impressive part of this episode for me, was the deck crew animations. FFFFUUUU!!! Dat ---- was off the hook! When I could tell exactly what the deck crew were doing and telling me as the pilot, without it being explained to me - that was insanely good. All the animations of the deck crew were obvious, they were informative, they told the pilot everything they needed to know and would likely give us really great immersion.
LOVE IT!

The deck crew has me pumped out of my mind right now. The shooter was crushin it. I was able to visit my sister on her aircraft carrier this summer and watching those guys was just insane. Great job CIG!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nicholas posted:

lets not forget that ships already take off and land in the PU without the need for a deck crew or a special apparatus. so i really dont get the point of this

That's just a pre-alpha shortcut until they refactor the tedium-pass.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

You can make your own pizza at home with cheaper ingredients.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
how?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ha6x0/suggestion_possible_to_have_a_job_in_sc_as_one_of/

hahaha, holy gently caress, who was this

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So in that atv video the one guy was talking about 'we just recently shot more animations' just how long has Crobberts been camped out at the mocap studio for ? Wasn't that the place that was like hundreds of dollars a second to shoot anything ?

It seems like they've been shooting mocap for literally a year or more straight

If sq42 ever comes out its going to be like a FMV game from the 90s isn't it ? Click on an npc and watch as it switches from in game to movie of the actor going through the lines

God drat I am angry at this specific video game

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 9, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol Good poo poo. You know one of them really does want that job, until they actually have to do it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sappo569 posted:

So in that atv video the one guy was talking about 'we just recently shot more animations' just how long has Crobberts been camped out at the mocap studio for ? Wasn't that the place that was like hundreds of dollars a second to shoot anything ?

It seems like they've been shooting mocap for literally a year or more straight

If sq42 ever comes out its going to be like a FMV game from the 90s isn't it ? Click on an npc and watch as it switches from in game to movie of the actor going through the lines

God drat I am angry at this specific video game

That's literally every Crobbers-produced game, I think in Freelancer there's like 15 minutes of cutscenes before you get to fly anything

Star Citizen Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrnvWeeBc4

Star Citizen Zero: Origins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Rz2_5jRgs

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

If sq42 ever comes out its going to be like a FMV game from the 90s isn't it ?

This is what I've been predicting. There's no way you could use that much specific scene oriented mocap without locking the scene into a prescripted play of actions. The guy mocapped mopping could be background poo poo, but the mocap of multiple people moving around, talking, and interacting with each other could only feasibly be some kind of cutscene. There's also stuff like the mocap of soldiers carefully stacking up at a doorway to prepare for entry. What if the player just runs right through? Has to be a fully controlled scene.

If it's like Half Life 2, where you could hop around the room like a lunatic ignoring everyone else while they carry out their bullshit dialog, that's one thing, and immersion breaking. If you're locked in and have to watch that poo poo as a captive audience, woo boy. I suspect Roberts is going for the latter.

I still want to know if you can skip cutscenes.

The mocap prices quoted in this thread have been $100,000 per minute, that includes all post processing work required to clean everything up and all artist and technician work required to make it look good for the final project. I have no doubt that work is being skimped on, resulting in stuff like their Top Gear knock off guy still having artifacts of the painted on face lines being visible.

The pure raw capture price was several grand per minute, not sure we ever got a solid number on that. The Imaginarium does have a minimum fee that was quoted in these threads somewhere.

XK fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 9, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

lol god damnit

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

XK posted:

This is what I've been predicting. There's no way you could use that much specific scene oriented mocap without locking the scene into a prescripted play of actions. The guy mocapped mopping could be background poo poo, but the mocap of multiple people moving around, talking, and interacting with each other could only feasibly be some kind of cutscene. There's also stuff like the mocap of soldiers carefully stacking up at a doorway to prepare for entry. What if the player just runs right through? Has to be a fully controlled scene.

If it's like Half Life 2, where you could hop around the room like a lunatic ignoring everyone else while they carry out their bullshit dialog, that's one thing, and immersion breaking. If you're locked in and have to watch that poo poo as a captive audience, woo boy. I suspect Roberts is going for the latter.

The mocap prices quoted in this thread have been $100,000 per minute, that includes all post processing work required to clean everything up and all artist and technician work required to make it look good for the final project. I have no doubt that work is being skimped on, resulting in stuff like their Top Gear knock off guy still having artifacts of the painted on face lines being visible.

Even If the game locks you into a cutscene it would take someone all of 2 minutes to figure out a way around it , console tricks and what not

Remember back in the day when you could go online and download no-cd cracks and patches to disable all the start up videos for a game ?

And it will make Crobbers absolutely furious that someone would alter his magnum opus vision, I hope the cameras are rolling when the first cut scenes skipper is shown to him

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

Even If the game locks you into a cutscene it would take someone all of 2 minutes to figure out a way around it , console tricks and what not

Remember back in the day when you could go online and download no-cd cracks and patches to disable all the start up videos for a game ?

And it will make Crobbers absolutely furious that someone would alter his magnum opus vision, I hope the cameras are rolling when the first cut scenes skipper is shown to him

You could usually skip those start up videos by just deleting the video file. Skipping in engine cutscenes is another thing entirely.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

XK posted:

You could usually skip those start up videos by just deleting the video file. Skipping in engine cutscenes is another thing entirely.

Yeah usually the patch just changed the .mov file name to something else so the game wouldn't load it

But no sense is debating this small point , as we don't have to worry about any of that for another 1-2 years at least

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CR will probably have SQ42 engineered so that trying to avoid his cutscenes will brick your computer

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Jason Sextro posted:

CR will probably have SQ42 engineered so that trying to avoid his cutscenes will brick your computer

Anyone who posts a way to skip the cutscenes will get death threats.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

Did they ever fix the launcher from taking over your entire ISP'S connection ?

I'm going to assume no

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Don't doxx Ben Lesnick's future, TIA

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

How can you avoid a poster if they post in every thread?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

It will also be the only loving thing in it that actually works

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

XK posted:

The pure raw capture price was several grand per minute, not sure we ever got a solid number on that. The Imaginarium does have a minimum fee that was quoted in these threads somewhere.

Imagine how much work has to be done to get it to the point Chris says "gently caress it we are going to version 2 this later". That $100,000 industry average isn't something they could possibly keep to. I think you could safely double that cost estimate.

I mean we joke but I never gave much weight to the fraud accusation. But seriously where the gently caress is the money coming from? The traffic this project generates just doesn't add up to 130 million or whatever, and I also don't see any way they could keep their cost under 130 million. I also don't know how anyone with concrete information could say "I reasonably could not see the disaster coming".

Unless there is a secret war chest from private investors there is no way that this project isn't fraud at this point. It just doesn't add up. But even if that's true they have substantially misrepresented the project to backers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wuxi posted:

It will also be the only loving thing in it that actually works

Day 1 patch

'I load the game and it's a black screen'

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
"The best thing about it is the animations aren't canned at all" says the man, as the canned animations play twice...

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
http://www.pcgamer.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-is-fast-approaching-completion-heres-an-update-video/#article-comments

Wasn't sc partnered with these guys for clothing or something? I like that the guy with a table full of half drunk liquor bottles in his office still has his poo poo together compared to Chris roberts.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Rabelais D posted:

"The best thing about it is the animations aren't canned at all" says the man, as the canned animations play twice...

He thinks they aren't canned because you can shoot the guy and interrupt it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

But remember! Animation blending of skeletal animations is a completely revolutionary technique that hasn't been done before so we can finally get out from under the yoke of having completely stiff models rattle around the hangar in response to forces that won't affect the player.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Er_Dova posted:

This user has deleted their account.
https://www.reddit.com/user/Er_Dova

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

DeathStar.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

But remember! Animation blending of skeletal animations is a completely revolutionary technique that hasn't been done before so we can finally get out from under the yoke of having completely stiff models rattle around the hangar in response to forces that won't affect the player.

*random npc walks past the player and straight into the wall, his arm gets stuck and he jitters off into space at 5,000mph*