Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would really like an Android Wear watch that has at least 1 day battery life (ie. 24 hours, not 1 work day, I don't want to have to charge it until bedtime) and is reasonably priced. Does such a thing exist?

The Android Wear thread might know better than this one.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

azurite posted:

The Android Wear thread might know better than this one.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

poo poo, my bad sorry, I missed that thread in the index. Thanks!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I was quite tempted by the Gear S3 but this pic on XDA has put me off.

I guess Samsung only care about their PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS when they can be photographed for adverts.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Spermanent Record posted:

I guess Samsung only care about their PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS when they can be photographed for adverts.

Dang. Hopefully that's just an exception and not a major flaw in design.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yikes. I just upgraded from Gear S2 Classic 3G to the S3 Frontier LTE. So far, it's quite an improvement. It's faster, the battery life is better with the screen always on than it was on the S2 with the screen always off, the more robust Samsung Pay, and the option for any 22mm watch band make it a nice upgrade.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Spermanent Record posted:

Well, i mean...every product has instances of breakage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Well, i mean...every product has instances of breakage.

100% guaranteed this XDA nerd pried the bezel up with their fingernail, then expressed utter shock when it popped off.

Guess what happens when you do that?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

hotsauce posted:

100% guaranteed this XDA nerd pried the bezel up with their fingernail, then expressed utter shock when it popped off.

Guess what happens when you do that?

I'd be sorta shocked too. Fingernails don't grow back do they :barf:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dali Parton posted:

I'd be sorta shocked too. Fingernails don't grow back do they :barf:

:golfclap:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How's the Fitbit Charge 2? I have a Zip but I wasn't impressed with the quality. The battery doesn't make contact with the device readily and I had to put wax paper behind it to push it in and it's fallen out of the holster before, which to their credit they gave me a new one for that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

skooma512 posted:

How's the Fitbit Charge 2? I have a Zip but I wasn't impressed with the quality. The battery doesn't make contact with the device readily and I had to put wax paper behind it to push it in and it's fallen out of the holster before, which to their credit they gave me a new one for that.

It's great. I've gone zip -> Charge HR -> Charge 2. The Charge 2 fixed my complaints about the Charge HR and is a great device overall.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a specific thread for the Samsung Gear S3? Or is this it?

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

This is it! Ive had my gear s3 for a few days now. It's my first smart watch and I'm super pleased with it so far. It was extremely hard to get a gear s3 classic in Canada but this watch is the poo poo

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, getting back into swimming. Ideally, I'd love a gearfit2 that has a higher IP rating. Is the vivoactive going to be my best bet? Really, I want an android wear watch, but I have dainty little girl wrists and the Mission and Casio ones are huge and take up half my forearm.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, getting back into swimming. Ideally, I'd love a gearfit2 that has a higher IP rating. Is the vivoactive going to be my best bet? Really, I want an android wear watch, but I have dainty little girl wrists and the Mission and Casio ones are huge and take up half my forearm.

Fwiw I have a gear fit 2, and despite really liking the functionality, I managed to crack the screen on mine within 2 weeks thanks to some kettle bell swings. I get that you shouldn't smack a glass screen with a 44lb chunk of iron, but I never had a problem like that with my moto 360 or vivosmart. I suspect that the glass is pretty easily broken, based on my experience and a lot of similar stories I've read.

If you just want it for swimming, though, it's a killer little band.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Update #2 confirming that my gear s3 classic rules and is good and cool. If anyone has specific questions lemme know.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

eyebeem posted:

Fwiw I have a gear fit 2, and despite really liking the functionality, I managed to crack the screen on mine within 2 weeks thanks to some kettle bell swings. I get that you shouldn't smack a glass screen with a 44lb chunk of iron, but I never had a problem like that with my moto 360 or vivosmart. I suspect that the glass is pretty easily broken, based on my experience and a lot of similar stories I've read.

If you just want it for swimming, though, it's a killer little band.

I work at best buy, so a replacement plan is dirt cheap. My biggest issue is that it's only ip67, and there's no swim tracking like with the vivoactive.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The Vivoactive HR is really good for everything exercise related and pretty bad for everything else.

The Garmin software is so far ahead of S Health though, that you might as well be comparing a real tracker with a child's toy.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I really like the Vivoactive HR. Wears nice, has a good deal of functionality (it's p useful to have a 3-day forecast on my wrist), but the Garmin Connect app is what really elevates it. Everything's easy to read, it syncs with a other apps (like nutrition apps), and is just super easy to use.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Vivoactive HR has great functionality ruined by the fact that it ugly, ugly, ugly, and huge.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Still, if you like exercise then just get it because there's nothing even close for the price. My problem is that buying it made me wish I'd got a Fenix 3 HR, a month later.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

Thermopyle posted:

The Vivoactive HR has great functionality ruined by the fact that it ugly, ugly, ugly, and huge.

I own a vivoactive HR and had a vivosmart HR before, love them both, but the lack of eye appeal and bulkiness definitely seems like a common theme throughout their product line.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Aesirstorm posted:

I own a vivoactive HR and had a vivosmart HR before, love them both, but the lack of eye appeal and bulkiness definitely seems like a common theme throughout their product line.

The forerunner series has some attractive looking watches, the vivofit has replaceable bands, the vivomove is classy looking as gently caress, so it's not that Garmin can't make an attractive tracker. It's just like they haven't figured out that their prime competition isn't TomTom (who win the "ugliest tracker ever" award hands down) but fitbit. Fit bit is over priced plastic crap, but it's attractive on your wrist

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ive had my Fitbit Charge 2 for about 3 months now. Its nice, certainly doesn't feel cheap, but the non flush HR monitor makes it certainly less comfortable than my Pebble classic. Everything else about it is good, but I'm seriously considering stepping down to an Alta. Part of the justification is that I have a minor heart condition so the HR tracker doesnt really report an accurate story. But I guess the Alta would be less uncomfortable since its seemingly flush.

:sigh:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

How does the Vivoactive compare to its HR counterpart? Does it have the same smart-ish features like notifications and weather (99% of my use case) with reasonable battery life? Is there anything important it lacks? Been keeping an eye out for a Pebble replacement.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Is it possible to get a non-poo poo smartwatch under $200? I'm eyeing the Fitbit Blaze but the lack of water resistance is bumming me out, plus no one seems to love it in general. I'd like to stick to the watch form factor and I need iOS compatibility. Am i out of luck?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Find a deal on an Apple Watch. There is nothing better for iOS. Former pebble user here.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They're on sale at Target right now. S1 is $200/$230 for 38/42 mm sizes.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Is it possible to get a non-poo poo smartwatch under $200? I'm eyeing the Fitbit Blaze but the lack of water resistance is bumming me out, plus no one seems to love it in general. I'd like to stick to the watch form factor and I need iOS compatibility. Am i out of luck?

Same except I'm coming from a defective Pebble Time and using an Android phone. What are my options?

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
I'm a bit torn on which fitness tracker I should be buying, and after two hours of looking at reviews on the Internet, I am still no wiser.

Essentially, I need to track heart-rate & steps (at a minimum) to maximize my medical aid benefits, and managed to narrow it down to the following:

Fitbit Charge 2
Polar A360
Garmin Vivosmart HR or HR+

My exercise routine is split between HIIT & Crossfit, with quite a big focus on lifting & rowing, as well as some light running for some variety.

Is any of the above trackers better for this type of exercise, keeping in mind what I need to track?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Well looks like fibit has a new tracker out, https://www.fitbit.com/altahr, that is just the Alta with the heatrate monitor. It is also touting a 7 day battery life.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It seems like the only reason to buy it is if you think its so much more fashionable than the Charge HR. It's the same price with less features (depending on how much you weigh its fashionability as a feature). And by "less features" I mean it looks like the HR has every single feature the Alta HR has plus some.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

It seems like the only reason to buy it is if you think its so much more fashionable than the Charge HR. It's the same price with less features (depending on how much you weigh its fashionability as a feature). And by "less features" I mean it looks like the HR has every single feature the Alta HR has plus some.

Bingo, my wife went with the Alta specifically based on appearance.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I'm really glad they are improving the sleep tracking, I have found that is one of the most underrated features of Fitbit. Whenever I am feeling lovely I check my sleep history and if I see I'm not getting enough sleep or sleeping poorly it is actionable.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Bingo, my wife went with the Alta specifically based on appearance.

I am interested in it as it has the highest battery life rating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

god this blows posted:

I am interested in it as it has the highest battery life rating.

Oh yeah, thats a good point.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Oh yeah, thats a good point.

Well I ordered the new Alta HR. I know there will be a deal in a week or two but I'm all about new gadgets.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Greets. In case anyone here still has a PEBBLE, like me, I have a bug report/fix that might help someone. (lol) Anyways, my Pebble Time started disconnecting from bluetooth like all the time nonstop and forever, and then the app couldn't rejoin it and I'd have to reinstall everything and then it'd pair for like 5 hours and die. I couldn't figure it out, I thought it was a patch or something because it used to work fine. Then, after searching online I found a post way deep in a Pebble Forum thread that wasn't showing up on google about a dude with a Tile, aha, eureka! Turns out the Tile has a "repair bluetooth connection" slider that epically fucks up the Pebble's connection. Turned that fucker off and it's been back to its old self again. No disconnects. Praise Jesus.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is the Charge HR still cool and good? Been thinking on and off about getting one for the last year or so and I found a nearby deal on what I guess is last year's model. I exercise pretty much daily (running and/or lifting) but currently have a Forerunner 110 I use for the running part, which is barebones feature-wise but still chugging along after five years or so of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

C-Euro posted:

Is the Charge HR still cool and good? Been thinking on and off about getting one for the last year or so and I found a nearby deal on what I guess is last year's model. I exercise pretty much daily (running and/or lifting) but currently have a Forerunner 110 I use for the running part, which is barebones feature-wise but still chugging along after five years or so of use.

I wouldn't, it had quality control issues and honestly the Charge HR 2 is a huge upgrade.