Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

(source)
Lady Florence Prae, Duchess of Nesque and Managing Partner of "Prae & Assoc's. Trading Co." has died suddenly and without issue. Her family attends her funeral not out of sympathy and mourning, but to discover who gets to inherit the land, titles, and fortune from the late duchess's very profitable soap venture. However, that evening, as they gathered into the great hall to have her will read out loud, they discovered a most horrible sight: the lawyer had been killed and the will torn to pieces and burned! Someone (or someones) in the funeral party must want the estate for themselves, and they are willing to kill for it. Now the party must bring these villains to justice.

(source)

Welcome to this game of kingmaker!

Kingmaker is a mafia variant, read the rules for it here.

In brief: there are only four roles: VILLAGER, a normal vanilla townie; ASSASSIN, a mafia goon; the HERO, who is confirmed town and cannot be executed; and the KINGMAKER, another confirmed town and the name of the game. Each night the Kingmaker selects a player in the game to act the next day as the KING; this player is publicly announced and has the job of deciding, solely, who shall be the day's execution. Anyone except the Kingmaker can be selected to be the King, town and scum alike. Once the King has made their decision, the day ends; the Kingmaker may then select another King, if they so wish. However the mafia also get to perform their nightkill, meaning good kings rarely last long.

This game will have a variable number of players. There must be at least 7 (Kingmaker, Hero, and three villagers vs. two assassins). As more players sign up the number of assassins will go up as well such that there will always be about a quarter to a third of the game as scum. I will accept signups for a handful of days, or until I get impatient.

This game will have tight deadlines: 24 hours for each game day, 6 hours for each game night. Plan accordingly.

This game will have a hard deadline of Friday, December 16th. If the game is not over by then, it will be considered a wash!

Aside from the rule modifications above, the standard mafia rules still apply. And since this is an Ecco game, remember to ##unvote. While your votes will not have any direct effect, it is a helpful way to guide a King.

Enjoy!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c:
(to be used as a guide for the current king)

Current Phase: Night 0
:h: Long Live the King and/or Queen Depending
:d: 24 hour deadlines.

Player List:
1) BottleKnight
2) chaoslord
3) Flying Leatherman
4) got some chores tonight
5) Kashuno
6) Max
7) Moatillata
8) Quidthulhu
9) Tobbs Gnawed

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 10, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

In.

To clarify, per regular Kingmaker rules, no one may claim to be the Kingmaker, yes?

Edit: I may be misreading things. Anyway, will be fun.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Max posted:

To clarify, per regular Kingmaker rules, no one may claim to be the Kingmaker, yes?

I suppose not, no, if that's the rule. I am sure the rule is there for a reason. Let me add it to the OP.

e: nah I'll just include it in the role PM. But also these posts give enough warning to players.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EccoRaven posted:

I suppose not, no, if that's the rule. I am sure the rule is there for a reason. Let me add it to the OP.

Generally yeah, since it cannot be counterclaimed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That may have just been a friendly house rule back in IRC, now that I think about it. I dunno, it's up to you. The idea though was to avoid lylo situations where the King had to choose between the kingmaker and the scum. It sucked for scum in those instances if the kingmaker could just claim, though at that point it's moot. There are plenty of Kingmaker strats that people are welcome to figure out on their own.

Max fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 8, 2016

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I will play the kingmaker game, it's all I've wanted to play since Max first told me about it like, what, two weeks ago?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

chaoslord posted:

I will play the kingmaker game, it's all I've wanted to play since Max first told me about it like, what, two weeks ago?

Oh right, that was with you.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
i'm in

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
This hard deadline is absolutely perfect for me. I know very little about Kingmaker. Sounds fun.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Flying Leatherman posted:

This hard deadline is absolutely perfect for me. I know very little about Kingmaker. Sounds fun.

It's essentially big brother mafia instead of survivor mafia.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I will play this

ANARCHY

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Mafia edit: "play"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
kingmaker owns and i'm super excited for this game

like maximum hype

like maximum maximum hype

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
What happens if the kingmaker is assassinated? That's not clarified in the rules wiki. Assassins auto win? Another villager gets it? No more king changes?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

What happens if the kingmaker is assassinated? That's not clarified in the rules wiki. Assassins auto win? Another villager gets it? No more king changes?

New rando town that wasn't named as king during the night is made the new kingmaker. Scum can never be kingmaker.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Basically, if kingmaker is night killed, their choice for king is carried through.

If the kingmaker is lunched, a new town is made kingmaker and they then make the choice for new king. Sometimes the kingmaker has to make two choices in the even that their first choice is killed.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Coolness Averted posted:

is this a signup? also yeah a new kingmaker would be randomly selected, though I'm considering for the future running variants to kingmaker where perhaps if the kingmaker dies Democracy reigns for a time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

EccoRaven posted:

is this a signup? also yeah a new kingmaker would be randomly selected, though I'm considering for the future running variants to kingmaker where perhaps if the kingmaker dies Democracy reigns for a time.

Just gonna watch. I'll be too busy in the next week, but the game format looks interesting so I was asking for future games and it looked like something folks should know ahead of time.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
what is

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

is game read op

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
is sign up

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ok I can do 7 successfully I think! Ecco gameeeem put me innn

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I'm gonna try and turn my snark and condescension up to 11 for this game wish me luck guys

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Moatillata posted:

I'm gonna try and turn my snark and condescension up to 11 for this game wish me luck guys

Feh. Petty requests for luck from other plebians will get you nowhere, you neanderthal. *scoffs and steps into carriage*

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I'm traveling this weekend (as I do every weekend) but ok.

ok, ok?

ok

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Kashuno posted:

Feh. Petty requests for luck from other plebians will get you nowhere, you neanderthal. *scoffs and steps into carriage*

*Sniffs delicately*

Kindly use a breath mint next time you make a paltry attempt at an insult.

*Adjusts monocle*

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

*Sniffs delicately*

*Adjusts monocle*

You wouldn't need to adjust your monocle every time you sniffed if you wore it properly.

Those don't go inside your nose, you know. Or rather, you might if you were actually part of the born aristocracy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Moatillata posted:

*Sniffs delicately*

*Adjusts monocle*

Mmm yes, the scent of my breath having recently consumed sustenance must be quite distasteful to the starving plebians. Perhaps, you would find a better use for that monocle in a shop instead of pretending?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You wouldn't need to adjust your monocle every time you sniffed if you wore it properly.

Those don't go inside your nose, you know. Or rather, you might if you were actually part of the born aristocracy.

Tobbs play in this game please. Oh wait you are now that I read up. Cool.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Ah, my dear sweet tobbs you remind me of a 2 year old me

There's no doubt of my blood's purity. I'll even show you a portrait painted of me just the other day.

I don't normally stoop to such lows but I am feeling quite generous today.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Kashuno posted:

Mmm yes, the scent of my breath having recently consumed sustenance must be quite distasteful to the starving plebians. Perhaps, you would find a better use for that monocle in a shop instead of pretending?

My friend you read like a 9th grade honors english student. Please try harder.

I would pat you on the head my poor misguided fellow but I would rather not sully my stark white gloves with the filth of the unwashed masses

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Ah, my dear sweet tobbs you remind me of a 2 year old me

There's no doubt of my blood's purity. I'll even show you a portrait painted of me just the other day.

I don't normally stoop to such lows but I am feeling quite generous today.

You poor dear, you poor, giant-nosed dear.

Not only must you certainly be penniless after having been swindled so thoroughly, but also half-blind to think that portrait looks anything like you.

*tosses you a coin*

Here lad, have a copper and get yourself some supper. My conscience won't allow me to sleep tonight if I don't aid you, and neither can my ears bear the grumbling of your empty stomach.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FYI this was from TNL's versions of Kingmaker that were played on the forums:

TNL posted:

The Kingmaker may never reveal his role! If he does it is an automatic modkill. There are no restrictions for other roles but I can't imagine anyone really claim Assassin, and claiming Hero hurts your role more than it helps.

The flavor reason being that scum will take any opportunity to kill the kingmaker the moment they are revealed because they are a perfect target.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lots of white people itt

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You poor dear, you poor, giant-nosed dear.

Not only must you certainly be penniless after having been swindled so thoroughly, but also half-blind to think that portrait looks anything like you.

*tosses you a coin*

Here lad, have a copper and get yourself some supper. My conscience won't allow me to sleep tonight if I don't aid you, and neither can my ears bear the grumbling of your empty stomach.

*Watches with disdain as coin drops to the ground*

Yes.. quite... I don't usually touch.. those ... things...

*Gestures towards coin on ground*

They are quite filthy you see and carry a bad humour which tends to make the body infirm. My needs are catered to by my guard

*Gestures to the large burly uniformed men following him*

They take care of the more unpleasant functions required by modern life.

*Whispers as an aside*

Though I do wish they were a bit brighter.

At any rate, I'll leave you to throwing around currency, your accordian and your tiny beast. Good day.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Kashuno posted:

lots of white people itt

new challenger approaching

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Kashuno posted:

lots of white people itt

:ssh:I'm a coconut:ssh:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

*Watches with disdain as coin drops to the ground*

Yes.. quite... I don't usually touch.. those ... things...

*Gestures towards coin on ground*

They are quite filthy you see and carry a bad humour which tends to make the body infirm. My needs are catered to by my guard

*Gestures to the large burly uniformed men following him*

They take care of the more unpleasant functions required by modern life.

*Whispers as an aside*

Though I do wish they were a bit brighter.

At any rate, I'll leave you to throwing around currency, your accordian and your tiny beast. Good day.

*shrugs*

Suit yourself.

As Tobbs walks off, Moatilatta waits for him to round a corner. The men to whom Moat had gestured, bearing no relation or interest in him, watch as he sinks to his knees in the mud, desperately scrabbling around to find the copper. A cloud of dust is kicked up from a passing carriage, and Moat sniffs lightly, feeling a sneeze coming on. Fortunately, his generous nostril provides a massive amount of suction, and the copper piece flies right into it! Overjoyed, Moat scampers into a nearby bakery to purchase a loaf of bread.

Tobbs watches the spectacle from the carriage. He remembers when Moat was more fortunate, but lowly Merchants are often reduced to peasantry when their fortunes fail. No matter. As a true and benevolent Lord of this land, Tobbs had a Kingdom to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
*appears behind tobbs with my 1000x folded hanzo steel katana, and cuts him in twain*

pssshhh...nothin personal......kid.....

• Locked thread