Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rick posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC come hard after UFC, not only for their sports channel but also to maybe position at least one program with wrestling. MMA and wrestling generally both do better ratings when paired together, much to the chagrin of some fans.

if i'm not mistaken ufc's popularity growth started with the the first season of the ultimate fighter airing after raw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vertical Lime posted:

if i'm not mistaken ufc's popularity growth started with the the first season of the ultimate fighter airing after raw

Yeah exactly. I could see them pairing it with Smackdown in the future or maybe even bringing Raw back down to two hours (pipedream).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Yeah exactly. I could see them pairing it with Smackdown in the future or maybe even bringing Raw back down to two hours (pipedream).
MMA Smackdown

With Conor McGregor cutting promos every week

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had an article saved from the New York Times, super long about how the Golden State Warriors, after they got bought by hedge fund guys who were super into analytics, that they were unstoppable. It was published on March 30, a couple weeks before the playoffs started, and I just now read it. Obviously it sucks the dick of anything and everything associated with the Warriors, but it finishes by saying how Steph Curry alone wasn't enough to turn around the franchise because look at LeBron, he hasn't even won a title in Cleveland.

This is why sports "journalism" is garbage.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The infamous light years ahead article

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/magazine/what-happened-when-venture-capitalists-took-over-the-golden-state-warriors.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ that first paragraph

quote:

On another morning, they all might have met at a charity event or a TED Talk. But it was a Tuesday, and that meant basketball.

can someone help find my eyes? they have rolled off somewhere

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

So much wonderful schadenfreude has come from that article and the subsequent 3-1 blown lead. :allears:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

So much wonderful schadenfreude has come from that article and the subsequent 3-1 blown lead. :allears:

That one quote - we all know what it is - sustained me for about three months.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ESPN has a good chance to catch up with Inside the NBA, which has grown kinda stale in recent years ... and they go with the same idiots that made people stop watching NBA Countdown.

Okay.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They never let anything breathe at all, they make fundamental changes to the show roughly every four weeks. Wilbon/Jalen/Magic/Simmons was probably their most successful configuration, but primarily because because they let it breathe. I refuse to believe that a better lineup than that can't be put on but drat it needs time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think Wilbon and Magic left the show because they couldn't stand Simmons though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

I think Wilbon and Magic left the show because they couldn't stand Simmons though

Magic pretty vehemently denies that he disliked Simmons but who knows. At least one thought is that the ESPN just wanted to get younger and less dude and let Magic quit to save face rather than being fired.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I thought the story was that Simmons pushed them out (which would be further evidence that he is a very good producer because Magic is way up their for worst person on television to get this many high profile chances) but idk

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i hope hbo's getting their money's worth

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm very bearish on UFC right now. I really feel like it's always on the precipice of popularity because the sport just like boxing before it requires strong personalities and interesting fights and those can quickly fade. I'm not saying its in trouble or near death but that 4 billion dollar transaction could be pretty loving insane looking back a couple years from now.

Also, god I'm still so loving bummed out by the Fox Sports lineup right now. It's just loving sad.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem is is that it was sold on the back of Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor. Rousey has 2 fights left on her deal, and the division looks like it's starting to catch up to the 1st Generation Stars. And Conor is just Conor. You're right, they could bank of McGregor and Rousey and be fine, but if one of them loses their lustre it could go bad if they can't get the next big name over. Remember, MMA, unlike boxing, has shown to be slightly more volatile at the top, and people only stay there if the division is trash, or if the division is young and doesn't have much depth.

And beacuse it was sold based on the forward projection of those two names, if one of them goes down and they can't bank on them like projected god knows how they're going to keep servicing the debt.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The fact that they are making record profits and still having to drastically cut costs is definitely not a great sign. As a non-business dude I really wonder what happens if they can't pay that money back.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

algebra testes posted:

The problem is is that it was sold on the back of Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor. Rousey has 2 fights left on her deal, and the division looks like it's starting to catch up to the 1st Generation Stars. And Conor is just Conor. You're right, they could bank of McGregor and Rousey and be fine, but if one of them loses their lustre it could go bad if they can't get the next big name over. Remember, MMA, unlike boxing, has shown to be slightly more volatile at the top, and people only stay there if the division is trash, or if the division is young and doesn't have much depth.

And beacuse it was sold based on the forward projection of those two names, if one of them goes down and they can't bank on them like projected god knows how they're going to keep servicing the debt.

Devil's advocate here. Ronda is about to get dismantled by Amanda Nunes in three weeks and if UFC is smart, and they are, they will turn her into a mega star as a result. I don't think they wanted to do it with Holm. If they did they wouldn't have thrown her against Miesha Tate. It's gonna be tricky for UFC because the bantamweight division is really even. There's like, six or seven fighters in the top 10 who are just terrible matchups for someone above them. The winner of Rousey/Nunes wins fights the winner of Shevchenko/Pena so who the hell knows what goes on there. Pena is a solid fighter who's never lost in the UFC, but she also hasn't fought anyone outside of an rapidly aging Cat Zingano. I've realized in this last paragraph I've pretty much talked myself out of banking on Ronda or Nunes so I guess I just, in a roundabout way, made your point for you haha!

Conor is Conor. He's gonna talk poo poo, fight, and draw money. He doesn't take a ton of huge hits and regardless on whether or not you like him, he's an incredible fighter. He'll keep making money until he loses 2 fights in a row. People who like him tune in to see him fight and those that don't tune in to see him get beat and beat convincingly. Until that happens with regularity, people won't get bored of him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

algebra testes posted:

The initial Spike deal was sold off the back of the Griffin/Bonner fight, and the initial Fox deal was on the back of Anderson/Rampage/Jones/etc... They've gone the opposite way of boxing where it was all personality/promoter driven with the various alphabet soup of belts and federations and put the brand above the fighter, a la the NFL. Someone else will always come along and be ahead of the pack, either by a nose or a mile, and they'll be hyped as the greatest thing ever until they lose and then it's on to the next one. Losing Johnny Unitas didn't kill the NFL, losing one fighter won't kill the UFC.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I tried watching sportcenter at the gym because of forgot my headphones .

My god what happened to sports center ? There were no highlights of games at all. It was all talking heads promoting ESPN future shows. It was unwatchable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kevin Garnett doesn't give a single gently caress about your censor button

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

euphronius posted:

My god what happened to sports center ? There were no highlights of games at all. It was all talking heads promoting ESPN future shows. It was unwatchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvzM-DPFzk

I always think of this video compared to what we see now. It's really bizarre to see F1 for example, not only covered, but their QUALIFICATIONS covered. I hope to god I'm not trying to cheerlead my favorite form of the sport, but they really struggle to cover a lot of events that are fairly big deals globally or nationally.

I just don't bother with it any more. I mean after a big game like the Indians winning a World Series game or something? I'll tune in, but aside from that it can be a frustrating watch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIvzM-DPFzk

I always think of this video compared to what we see now. It's really bizarre to see F1 for example, not only covered, but their QUALIFICATIONS covered. I hope to god I'm not trying to cheerlead my favorite form of the sport, but they really struggle to cover a lot of events that are fairly big deals globally or nationally.

I just don't bother with it any more. I mean after a big game like the Indians winning a World Series game or something? I'll tune in, but aside from that it can be a frustrating watch.

Between the NCAA and NBA there was ~4,000 basketball games played yesterday. I didn't see one dunk in 30 minutes. Not one dunk highlight!!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

My god what happened to sports center ?

streaming video

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I don't know who the gently caress actually watches sportscenter these days but I do see the bind they are in.

If you're favorite team isn't the Golden State Warriors or the Boston Red Sox, why wait 45 minutes just to see a 2 play 30 second highlight of your team. All the official websites for the NHL, NBA, and NFL do a good job of putting up a couple hours after the game a 2 minute highlight and usually isolated highlights of say, the biggest dunk or a great diving catch. MLB sucks still because their search functions on the site are god awful and the media player sucks rear end.

It just doesn't make sense to do a raw highlights show but of course Sportscenter has gone hard the other way doing almost no sports highlights and lots of dumb segments.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's really zero reason for Sportscenter to exist as a highlight show now. A 50-60 second clip of every goal of the Flyers/Oilers scorefest last night was on the NHL's website within 2 minutes of them happening. Gifs are everywhere on twitter. You can basically build your own "Sportscenter" show with a Youtube playlist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wha about people who don't have a particular game in mind and just want to catch up with sports in general? That's the appeal of Sportscenter to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Wha about people who don't have a particular game in mind and just want to catch up with sports in general? That's the appeal of Sportscenter to me.

I get the feeling there are starting to be fewer and fewer of those types, or they're just going up on ESPN's website.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DJExile posted:

Yeah there's really zero reason for Sportscenter to exist as a highlight show now. A 50-60 second clip of every goal of the Flyers/Oilers scorefest last night was on the NHL's website within 2 minutes of them happening. Gifs are everywhere on twitter. You can basically build your own "Sportscenter" show with a Youtube playlist.

I can't on a treadmill

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Longhorn Extra is back on LHN as a weekly hour-long program, if anyone was wondering.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

They don't have to be THE HIGHLIGHTS SHOW they could be a sports review. Actually go in depth about the games and what it means for the season and for the teams instead of 40 seconds of a guy mispronouncing mid-major small forwards and then back to talking about LeBron.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LeBron is cool they should actually talk about him more

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

Devil's advocate here. Ronda is about to get dismantled by Amanda Nunes in three weeks and if UFC is smart, and they are, they will turn her into a mega star as a result. I don't think they wanted to do it with Holm. If they did they wouldn't have thrown her against Miesha Tate. It's gonna be tricky for UFC because the bantamweight division is really even. There's like, six or seven fighters in the top 10 who are just terrible matchups for someone above them. The winner of Rousey/Nunes wins fights the winner of Shevchenko/Pena so who the hell knows what goes on there. Pena is a solid fighter who's never lost in the UFC, but she also hasn't fought anyone outside of an rapidly aging Cat Zingano. I've realized in this last paragraph I've pretty much talked myself out of banking on Ronda or Nunes so I guess I just, in a roundabout way, made your point for you haha!

Conor is Conor. He's gonna talk poo poo, fight, and draw money. He doesn't take a ton of huge hits and regardless on whether or not you like him, he's an incredible fighter. He'll keep making money until he loses 2 fights in a row. People who like him tune in to see him fight and those that don't tune in to see him get beat and beat convincingly. Until that happens with regularity, people won't get bored of him.

This is a very un-PC post but Nunes is not conventionally attractive and is a lesbian who speaks poor English. She could wreck everyone and she will never exist in the same universe as Ronda Rousey no matter what the UFC tries to do.

Tate could have gotten relatively big had she not blown it after winning the belt, but Nunes, regardless of skill, probably won't ever reach peak Tate in terms of notoriety. If anything, they'd try to build on the back of Pena once Rousey is done.

There's a reason they love Paige Van Zant despite her being green as hell.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
UFC desperately wants Paige Van Zant and Sage Northcutt to become huge stars...and hell probably marry and create super fighter aryan babies.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sage Northcutt is trash and I hope Mickey Gall punches his dumb face a lot

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mickey Gall has tremendous potential to be huge if he can win fights.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is Verne calling basketball this year or is he officially retired after this Army-Navy game?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Verne calling basketball this year or is he officially retired after this Army-Navy game?
I came here to ask this very same question but just as the Army/Navy game came back from break Verne's color guy mentioned how this will be their last time in the booth which almost brought Uncle Verne to tears.

I think this is Uncle Verne's last rodeo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

I came here to ask this very same question but just as the Army/Navy game came back from break Verne's color guy mentioned how this will be their last time in the booth which almost brought Uncle Verne to tears.

I think this is Uncle Verne's last rodeo.

Well Gary Danielson is only a football commentator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mickey Gall has tremendous potential to be huge if he can win fights.
Hey magic Johnson who else do you think can be huge if they win fights