Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So after it was made clear to me that I was becoming too insufferable to hang out here, or anywhere else for that matter, I disappeared for awhile and made a show where I could throw all that poo poo without ruining everybody else's good time:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800952

So, after making my latest episode, in particular...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-YjnwShtw

I thought to myslef: "Self, your sound device went bad and you had to rely on lovely camera audio, and your poo poo still looks and sounds way better than most wrestling shoot interviews.

I have a web developer. I know how to shoot and edit some poo poo. I'm very seriously considering booking some pro-graps guests to come to the lovely green-screen studio I made in my garage to talk wrestling, and then selling the results.

So my questions, goons, are as follows:

How in the poo poo do you book people? Is there a spreadsheet of agents anywhere? Do talent put that information out there? How deep would I have to dig?

Secondly, once I booked a guest, what should I ask them? Though he'd likely be my first pick for a guest, Kevin Nash has talked ad infinitum about how stupid WCW was. I'd want to at least keep the guest interested by not treading ground they're bored with.

Any input would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
put up posters

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Start with local indy talent? Most of them usually manage bookings themselves so it'd be a bit easier to reach out (they usually have their email address on their twitter/facebook) and start building a portfolio so that when you do start going to the bigger named guys, you can show them you're familiar with interviewing guys in the business.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

who are your drug dealers and are they reliable enough to get what your interview needs on time, and enough of it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ask Kevin Nash about sport loving

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If you don't know how to do even the literal first part of what you're trying to do, why not do something else? What can you, specifically add to the lucrative and popular shoot interview landscape that no one else can?

"I'm thinking of opening a cotton candy stand but I have never had, much less made, cotton candy. Help!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you don't know how to do even the literal first part of what you're trying to do, why not do something else? What can you, specifically add to the lucrative and popular shoot interview landscape that no one else can?

"I'm thinking of opening a cotton candy stand but I have never had, much less made, cotton candy. Help!"

He will be the first person to interview Zach Monstarr who recently wrestled Jake the Snake in a parking lot

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

put up posters

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

flashy_mcflash posted:

really?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
interview me

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

How in the poo poo do you book people? Is there a spreadsheet of agents anywhere? Do talent put that information out there? How deep would I have to dig?

Well let me first disabuse you of the idea that you could score Kevin Nash as your first guest. While I don't want to discourage you, your best bet would probably be to find wrestlers with "for booking info contact..." in their Twitter bios. Anyone without that probably isn't gonna need your money.

Also I feel like if you need to ask "what kind of questions should I ask?" maybe a career/pet project in interviewing people isn't the best move?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Pivot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sarcasm

Karmine posted:

Also I feel like if you need to ask "what kind of questions should I ask?" maybe a career/pet project in interviewing people isn't the best move?

Exactly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

flashy_mcflash posted:

What can you, specifically add to the lucrative and popular shoot interview landscape that no one else can?

probably this:

LividLiquid posted:

I thought to myslef: "Self, your sound device went bad and you had to rely on lovely camera audio, and your poo poo still looks and sounds way better than most wrestling shoot interviews.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

How big is Batista's dick

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
In regards to Nash doing shoot interviews, I thought it was a given he'll do anything as long as someone puts a camera in front of him. No matter how seedy or amateurish, as long as there is a camera there, he'll show up.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR8lcHWI2VI

Also, There really isn't any topping of the ravoli shoot interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywapu37npWk

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chromatic posted:

In regards to Nash doing shoot interviews, I thought it was a given he'll do anything as long as someone puts a camera in front of him. No matter how seedy or amateurish, as long as there is a camera there, he'll show up.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR8lcHWI2VI

Also, There really isn't any topping of the ravoli shoot interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywapu37npWk

If you pay him enough, sure.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

RealFoxy posted:

put up posters

flawless

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

The actual act of being professionally interesting is how I've made my living for years. I'm flattering myself a bit, but that's not the hard part for me.

I just have no experience in the wrestling business, and as we all know, it's a weird version of reality where nothing really makes sense, hence asking for advice.

So if I were to continue your metaphor, it'd be more like "I've been making and selling cotton candy since my early twenties, and I'd like to expand into a new state. We're all on a forum about that state, and the selling of cotton candy therein. Anybody know anything that could help me?"

In any case, my biggest handicap may be that I live in Seattle. There isn't really an indy scene here, so I can't exactly start small. Nobody's going to buy a video of indy guy in trashbag pants talking about wrestling on the Tulalip Reservation in front of the 76 Station for fifteen people.

I guess the only real question I need answered is how do you book wrestlers?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alot of non-WWE wrestlers have a booking email where you can contact them. You can normally find that on their Twitter. It seems like Kevin Nash can get booked through SBIBookings. Their email is showbis [at] aol [dot] com

Getting into shoot interviews is kinda dumb since you have to pay a flat fee + travel + lodging up front and hope that there's an audience for it afterwards. In the age of piracy and podcasts, would enough people pay you :10bux: to hear Kevin Nash talk for another 2 hours?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 10, 2016

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Are you prepared financially to fly people out to Seattle and pay for their accommodation because I don't think anyone is going to buy their own flight to be on some geeks shoot interview series.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
On top of that nobody is going to do a shoot tell-all for people they don't know. The big names are RF, Smart Mark, Chuck Taylor, and Colt Cabana as far as independents go, they've all been in the business for a really time so people are more comfortable opening up for them. A lot of older guys are just going to come in and take your money and treat you like a mark, the younger guys are just going to be reluctant to tell you anything new/interesting because they're not going to potentially blackball themselves for a nobody.

You're probably better off brining in homeless people and asking them for their stories.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

The actual act of being professionally interesting is how I've made my living for years. I'm flattering myself a bit, but that's not the hard part for me.

I just have no experience in the wrestling business, and as we all know, it's a weird version of reality where nothing really makes sense, hence asking for advice.

So if I were to continue your metaphor, it'd be more like "I've been making and selling cotton candy since my early twenties, and I'd like to expand into a new state. We're all on a forum about that state, and the selling of cotton candy therein. Anybody know anything that could help me?"

In any case, my biggest handicap may be that I live in Seattle. There isn't really an indy scene here, so I can't exactly start small. Nobody's going to buy a video of indy guy in trashbag pants talking about wrestling on the Tulalip Reservation in front of the 76 Station for fifteen people.

I guess the only real question I need answered is how do you book wrestlers?

It's more like "I've been making lemonade for years, I can start brewing beer." For as successful as you are being professionally interesting you started this thread by saying how you were making videos using camera audio. You don't know how to book talent and you don't know what to ask people. In this case the best help people can provide is to say "Dude, what the gently caress are you thinking?" The major shoot producers have used talent multiple times and gone over topics multiple times. If you've got thousands of dollars start contacting booking agents and flying guys in. Expect to have to pay up front since you have no track record.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

put up posters

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I will do a shot interview with you and tell you about Kevin Nash.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
If you live in Seattle I bet you could book Brent Kremen pretty easily, but that's probably your ceiling unless you have lots and lots of money.

I hate to crush your dreams or whatever but if you're trying to start a business you need to think it through really thoroughly, do some independent research, and maybe not rely so much on strangers from the Internet for advice. We should be who you come to once you have an actual product to present, not the people seeing the sausage get made. I have no idea what you have for financial resources, and you've freely admitted that your a/v resources are meager. You are not putting your best foot forward.

To put a finer point on it, the Wrestlehut Pisscast is amateurish, unfocused garbage thrown together by people who barely know what they're doing. The difference is that we never asked people to pay to listen to it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I will do a shot interview with you and tell you about Kevin Nash.

"He's extremely cool and good. Interview over"

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Do something to stand out from other shoot interviews. Have sex with the wrestlers while you interview them

The only other shoot interview I know of that did this was Hulk Hogan

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

LividLiquid posted:

The actual act of being professionally interesting is how I've made my living for years.

normally id say dont quit your day job BUT,

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My card says "Professional Interester".

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Ask The Brian Kendrick how he feels about pizza.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Stick to bachelorette party karaoke

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

My card says "Professional Interester".

Mods change my name to Professional Interester tia

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

have posters been put up yet? I know a guy that books an Oregon based promotion that says that's the way to go

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Dangerous Person posted:

Do something to stand out from other shoot interviews. Have sex with the wrestlers while you interview them

The only other shoot interview I know of that did this was Hulk Hogan

This would work.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Honestly? Get involved with your local feds, do some video work for them or help them out with filming if they need it and get in their good graces. Then when they pay to fly people out, offer to pitch in more money to get the guys they are already flying out to come do a interview with them. If you want to stand out I think the best thing would be to ask questions that are more history and talent focused than drama focused. Everyone has heard all the stories, and half of them are bullshit anyway. I'd much rather here someone like Nash talk about stuff like who they think is a seriously under appreciated wrestler or other poo poo like that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if you pay for my flight, give me a place to stay, and pay me in weed and fireworks, i will let you interview me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if you pay for my flight, give me a place to stay, and pay me in weed and fireworks, i will let you interview me

You could book like half the indie wrestlers in the PNW for that

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mulaney Power Move posted:

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Honestly? Get involved with your local feds, do some video work for them or help them out with filming if they need it and get in their good graces. Then when they pay to fly people out, offer to pitch in more money to get the guys they are already flying out to come do a interview with them. If you want to stand out I think the best thing would be to ask questions that are more history and talent focused than drama focused. Everyone has heard all the stories, and half of them are bullshit anyway. I'd much rather here someone like Nash talk about stuff like who they think is a seriously under appreciated wrestler or other poo poo like that.

The big problem with this is that OP lives in Seattle, and there's basically no indie scene around here due to Washington's antiquated laws that still treat pro wrestling as a real sport instead of an entertainment venture. It's not illegal to run shows, but you have to clear it with the athletic commission (who takes a healthy chunk of the gate) and pay for a bunch of extra fees, including your own paramedics on site and whatnot, so you have no chance of breaking even. There's a reason WWE only comes to Washington 1-2 times a year.

The closest thing to an indie scene in the Pacific Northwest is Portland, and even that is touch-and-go.

• Locked thread