Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

Just witnessed an extremely uncomfortable interaction/harassment in rec room.

A 4 year old was playing, and a guy was talking to her while humping her and joking about it, while a crowd gathered around snickering. Didn't know exactly what to do. Is there a place to report that?

no idea about in-game tools. did you get usernames? this guy seems to be a dev:

https://www.reddit.com/user/gribbly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

Now do Cruise Chaser

gently caress how did I forget about Cruise Chaser, Im on it (after dinner)

Also you guys were right about Rec Room, I just played like 45 minutes of paintball while my pork was puddlin'. Had to mute only one weirdo and everyone else just had a good time being sneaky fuckers in the gully.

VR has potential you guys :unsmith:

(edit) Also, Maximum Funhaver Protip: teleport around behind a sniper, slowly walk up to him, hold your gun up, yell "FREEZE DIRTBAG" or similar and see how they respond. One dude went "Come on man don't do it I have a family" and I let him go :3:

then he sniped me :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh I forgot about Audioshield, I need to pick that up. I love music based games.

Audioshield is seriously brilliant, I keep right on going back to it despite it's crashiness and my interface quibbles :v:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AndrewP posted:

Huh, I could have sworn they told you to point at where you want to teleport to in the tutorial (ie have your finger off the trigger)
I don't remember it telling you to point with your finger specifically, but yeah you don't need to do that.

Bullfrog posted:

Is there a place to report that?
I sure hope so, because that's hosed up.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I did get the username, so I just messaged what should be a dev on the team about it. Seeing that in VR was pretty chilling.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Now do Cruise Chaser

I did it and my lungs, arms, legs and cat (in that order) are filled with regret and sweat

"Forward and back" indeed :cry:

(e) The cat's mostly confused and angry over being punted, not really sweaty, mind you

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Unspoken is loving sick. I just played against one guy for like an hour straight, we're similarly ranked and I guess there aren't that many people on. Ugggh it's so great

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

Kingspray is so much fun.

That's really cool man!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The Climb with touch is awesome, the way you 'pull' the handholds towards you works really well. It uses a lot more resources however, the updated game is giving me the first slowdown/juddering I've seen.

Also, I think I'm in love with the King of VR

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Surprising no one, Magic Leap turns out to be pretty much a fraud

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nalin posted:

Oh wow, I've somehow unconsciously figured out how to crawl with my Touch controller while putting no weight on it. I must be some sort of VR genius.

I know you're just trolling but you can't shoot like that or use most of the controls inputs so its hardly a real solution.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 9, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I met a bunch of really nice folks in Rec Room, and we stood in the locker room chatting for like half an hour before doing anything. I like this game. :shobon:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Falken posted:

I met a bunch of really nice folks in Rec Room, and we stood in the locker room chatting for like half an hour before doing anything. I like this game. :shobon:

Play charades. The people can be really fun and funny. I've lost countless hours playing charades in rec room!

Also this is amazing!

https://vimeo.com/194697431

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Knifegrab posted:

Play charades. The people can be really fun and funny. I've lost countless hours playing charades in rec room!

Also this is amazing!

https://vimeo.com/194697431

Holy poo poo that's mad.

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

I know you're just trolling but you can't shoot like that or use most of the controls inputs so its hardly a real solution.

Normally, when you are crawling, your hands are preoccupied with the task of crawling.
If you are holding a gun and crawling then you would have you lift your hand to move the gun into a position where you could do anything useful with it.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that while I understand that you definitely could pull the trigger of a gun while you are crawling with the gun pressed down on the ground, I really don't get why it matters at all that you kinda can't because I really don't get why you would want to.

Can someone explain to me why crawling is somehow a big deal? I mean... With the Vive wand you basically can do it anyway, but usually when you want to interact with a thing you'd move your hand to that thing in order to interact with it, which you wouldn't be doing if your palm is flat to the ground because you are crawling or genuflecting or whatever.

Also I got Revive set up and bought superhot vr and holy cow it is amazing. One of my favorite things in the original game is that you could throw objects into bullets to stop them, such as throwing an empty gun into an incoming bullet to give you some room to pick up a new gun or item to throw or whatever. In Superhot VR... You can hit incoming bullets with your gun and then still use the gun. Or you can dual-wield and alternate between shooting with a gun and hitting bullets out of the way with it, occasionally doing awesome slow-mo dodges to avoid getting shot in the face (also the feeling of a bullet that you didn't keep good enough track of hitting you in the face is surprisingly... cool I guess I would say?) and oh my god it's so awesome.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Crayonskies posted:

Normally, when you are crawling, your hands are preoccupied with the task of crawling.
If you are holding a gun and crawling then you would have you lift your hand to move the gun into a position where you could do anything useful with it.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that while I understand that you definitely could pull the trigger of a gun while you are crawling with the gun pressed down on the ground, I really don't get why it matters at all that you kinda can't because I really don't get why you would want to.

Can someone explain to me why crawling is somehow a big deal? I mean... With the Vive wand you basically can do it anyway, but usually when you want to interact with a thing you'd move your hand to that thing in order to interact with it, which you wouldn't be doing if your palm is flat to the ground because you are crawling or genuflecting or whatever.

Also I got Revive set up and bought superhot vr and holy cow it is amazing. One of my favorite things in the original game is that you could throw objects into bullets to stop them, such as throwing an empty gun into an incoming bullet to give you some room to pick up a new gun or item to throw or whatever. In Superhot VR... You can hit incoming bullets with your gun and then still use the gun. Or you can dual-wield and alternate between shooting with a gun and hitting bullets out of the way with it, occasionally doing awesome slow-mo dodges to avoid getting shot in the face (also the feeling of a bullet that you didn't keep good enough track of hitting you in the face is surprisingly... cool I guess I would say?) and oh my god it's so awesome.

How about throwing your gun to yourself?
https://gfycat.com/PowerfulShadowyFowl

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

How about throwing your gun to yourself?
https://gfycat.com/PowerfulShadowyFowl

I have tried throwing objects from one spot to the next one before but not really figured any of them out well enough, and I progressed smoothly enough through it that I didn't really get or make the time to do that. But I did notice it can be done.

Something I've done a lot though is just... picking up a pistol with my off-hand and tossing it over to my correct hand.
In one spot I had a uzi in the off hand and pistol in the primary and wanted to switch (more enemies on the right side, so more useful to have the uzi shooting there)... so I tossed them both towards the other hand and caught them and man there is just way too much fun cool posing you can do in this game basically.
Tossing objects between hands is great fun and I just can't help but end up doing really cheesy and dumb poses like I'm some dumb tryhard who wishes I was the protagonist of Equilibrium or something.

It's way too fun but I'm also glad nobody sees me while I'm playing it because there's no way it looks anything other than really silly even though it feels really cool.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Crayonskies posted:

I have tried throwing objects from one spot to the next one before but not really figured any of them out well enough, and I progressed smoothly enough through it that I didn't really get or make the time to do that. But I did notice it can be done.

Something I've done a lot though is just... picking up a pistol with my off-hand and tossing it over to my correct hand.
In one spot I had a uzi in the off hand and pistol in the primary and wanted to switch (more enemies on the right side, so more useful to have the uzi shooting there)... so I tossed them both towards the other hand and caught them and man there is just way too much fun cool posing you can do in this game basically.
Tossing objects between hands is great fun and I just can't help but end up doing really cheesy and dumb poses like I'm some dumb tryhard who wishes I was the protagonist of Equilibrium or something.

It's way too fun but I'm also glad nobody sees me while I'm playing it because there's no way it looks anything other than really silly even though it feels really cool.

Hahah, yeah same here I know I look like a fool but I don't even care. It really is an amazingly fun game.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Huh, I could have sworn they told you to point at where you want to teleport to in the tutorial (ie have your finger off the trigger)
The one beef I have with the game after checking it out briefly last night is that the hand positions when casting don't always match with the controller actions you need to do said casting. i.e. your in-game hands can often not be aligned with your real hands. There's actually a pretty good post on how Oculus has also hosed this up a bit with their default hands in Home and elsewhere here: https://reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5h5a2p/the_oculus_avatars_sdk_hands_are_a_terrible_use/

mad.radhu posted:

Kingspray is so much fun.

This is great, but :(

Crayonskies posted:

I just can't help but end up doing really cheesy and dumb poses like I'm some dumb tryhard who wishes I was the protagonist of Equilibrium or something.

It's way too fun but I'm also glad nobody sees me while I'm playing it because there's no way it looks anything other than really silly even though it feels really cool
I do this in everything. In the Unspoken I'm doing all sorts of dumb poses. I don't know why, except I have one of convinced myself I do better when I 'get into it' like that. Same in SPT.

And in Dead and Buried I just dance a lot. Speaking of which, there's a dev for the game responding to feedback/issues in this thread: https://reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5h9228/dead_and_buried_suggestions_for_improvement/

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Republicans posted:

But you see some amazing stuff in that game. One time while playing dodgeball one of the players audibly banged their face on a wall or something and their model fell to the ground. Then you could hear a little kid cry before that player left the room. The consensus reaction from everyone in the room was "HAHAHAHA-awwwww."
http://imgur.com/gallery/hjVYf
It seems to be spreading!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm borrowing my friend's Vive for a week or so and just got to play with it last night for the first time. I prepared by downloading a bunch of free stuff to try out but really only got to play some of The Lab and Google Earth VR before going to bed. After spending some time with a Rift (seated), it's clear to me that this is the "true" VR experience. Having the roomscale stuff not only makes this seem so much cooler, but for me cuts down significantly on the nausea I felt in the Rift just because I'm not in a completely fixed position. I was pretty much done with the Rift the day I brought it home because nothing felt particularly amazing to me and didn't convince me at all that I needed something like that but I'm already dreading returning this device to it's rightful owner.

Also, the biggest takeaway of the night for me is that the front facing camera on the Vive should be a selling point. It's great being able to double click the menu button and just see, especially when I'm playing in a relatively small play area with TV's around, and things to stub my toes on, and a psycho cat running around trying to bite my cord.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I'm borrowing my friend's Vive for a week or so and just got to play with it last night for the first time. I prepared by downloading a bunch of free stuff to try out but really only got to play some of The Lab and Google Earth VR before going to bed. After spending some time with a Rift (seated), it's clear to me that this is the "true" VR experience. Having the roomscale stuff not only makes this seem so much cooler, but for me cuts down significantly on the nausea I felt in the Rift just because I'm not in a completely fixed position. I was pretty much done with the Rift the day I brought it home because nothing felt particularly amazing to me and didn't convince me at all that I needed something like that but I'm already dreading returning this device to it's rightful owner.

Also, the biggest takeaway of the night for me is that the front facing camera on the Vive should be a selling point. It's great being able to double click the menu button and just see, especially when I'm playing in a relatively small play area with TV's around, and things to stub my toes on, and a psycho cat running around trying to bite my cord.

I highly highly recommend shutting cats out of the playspace. If you get really involved and forget they're there you might take a quick step and kill them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mad.radhu posted:

I highly highly recommend shutting cats out of the playspace. If you get really involved and forget they're there you might take a quick step and kill them

Yeah I quickly realized this- she's not allowed in anymore. She also kept trying to knock down the base stations and that would be no good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ask me about trying to play rec room and the cat is laying directly between my feet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Put the cat in VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

Put the cat in VR.

Seriously, how easy would it be to make a dog/cat LED collar for Rift and make it show via Guardian?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone have some thoughts on Fantastic Contraption? It's a few bucks off on in the store and it always looked like a cool game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

Seriously, how easy would it be to make a dog/cat LED collar for Rift and make it show via Guardian?

I'd think occlusion would be a major issue, not just because of their body shape but also fur. Maybe a whole doggy sweater covered in Lighthouse sensors?

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Kingspray is the best game

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Anyone have some thoughts on Fantastic Contraption? It's a few bucks off on in the store and it always looked like a cool game.

it's good and polished and makes for a weirdly good social game with people watching you build crazy poo poo and shouting suggestions. I'm not sure how well it would work without roomscale. Make sure your cameras can track to the floor.

The devs also took very direct advantage of VR to make a fun UI - the Menu is less "Press button to bring up buttons rendered on this 2D plane" and more "Put on the panda helmet then grab the tiny model of the level you want and throw it into the mouth of the burning frog"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

Sort of a long shot, but do any of you guys know of a computer desk on wheels that is ~60 inches long and has a shelf on the bottom to put a computer on? I've been looking all over the internet and haven't found anything that fits those needs, most desks with wheels are about 30-40". I'll probably have to make do with a smaller sized one and a separate computer tray with wheels on it so I can wheel this poo poo out of the way when I want to clear up some space, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone here has seen something like I need and just can't find it online.

You need a school or office desk with 2 or 3" casters. Preferably Check out Worthingtondirect.com and see what they have from Balt or Bretford. You can order a totally bespoke commercial grade desk for under $300. Talk to Crimson or Kevin M (phone or online chat), give them your budget and they'll be able to work with you. If you get some garbage from OfficeMax it's going to be some cheap Chinese garbage. For a few dollars more you can get a real computer desk.

Disclaimer: I used to work in that industry years ago

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Hadlock posted:

You need a school or office desk with 2 or 3" casters. Preferably Check out Worthingtondirect.com and see what they have from Balt or Bretford. You can order a totally bespoke commercial grade desk for under $300. Talk to Crimson or Kevin M (phone or online chat), give them your budget and they'll be able to work with you. If you get some garbage from OfficeMax it's going to be some cheap Chinese garbage. For a few dollars more you can get a real computer desk.

Disclaimer: I used to work in that industry years ago

drat, I did ended up going with something from OfficeMax (it's a Workpro Flex collection) :( . I spent so much time looking that when I found one I just bought it because I was getting frustrated. I certainly appreciate this advice though and am going to save this post for when this one inevitably falls apart. Thanks!

Context
Sep 11, 2006

mad.radhu posted:

it's good and polished and makes for a weirdly good social game with people watching you build crazy poo poo and shouting suggestions. I'm not sure how well it would work without roomscale. Make sure your cameras can track to the floor.

The devs also took very direct advantage of VR to make a fun UI - the Menu is less "Press button to bring up buttons rendered on this 2D plane" and more "Put on the panda helmet then grab the tiny model of the level you want and throw it into the mouth of the burning frog"

How much content is in it? I watched quite a few videos of it while I was waiting for Touch to come out, so I'm wondering if I've seen most of what it has to offer.

Also wondering how robust Kingspray is. I'd like to mess around with it, but a big blank wall would probably be too directionless for me. Are there stencils to color in or something?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I got the Vive on a black friday sale and I've been very happy with it. I can't wait to play a game that doesn't feel like an inflated tech demo. (other than Water Bears. That game is rad.) People who like Rec Room might also like VRChat. It's got a similar feature set, with interesting locales. I like how it combines the vive teleport controls with an avatar for multiplayer functionality.

I have a few questions for those that have gone before me though.

Firstly, Is there any way to make Whirligig stop stuttering? When I try to research it people say "Download the Codec tweak tool!" but then don't actually say what to do with it. I have the LAV codec enabled, and my videos still are choppy. I know it's not the video because I can play it in mplayer outside of VR and it's not choppy there. Is there a different player that people use instead?

Secondly, Has anybody tried using VorpX on the Vive? Their vive support is still listed as beta, but I'm not finding any reviews on it that aren't months old. I don't want to drop the money on a product that doesn't work right. On the other hand, I can think of no better use of VR than running around Skyrim, it seems like the best way to play actual AAA immersive-world games. I've been pretty immune to VR vertigo (VRtigo?) so far.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Deo vr player is lightweight and simple to use. Should help with the stuttering.

https://deovr.com/

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Steam Tutorial was updated with full Oculus Touch Support and new dialog to support it.
Destinations has Oculus Touch controls and in-game tutorials but shows the wrong controllers in your hands.

Haven't tried Lab yet.

One comment I wanted to make regarding "Developers should just be open an honest about all deals!" is that they can't. Usually you have to sign a contract and an NDA before you get any money so its not like they can work out a deal and be open about it.
It's also why the only ones opening up about it are the ones who didn't receive money or sign any deals.

I wonder if the Arizona Sunshine Devs locked that feature behind a paywall instead of Hardware Check if it would've had as much fallout as it did. Instead of just having it as a timed exclusive to HW (that they back peddled on) they could've have easily made it a DLC thing that only I7 owners could buy. Or even worse they could've charged money for non i7 owners and have Intel give coupons for i7 owners.

Like that "works best on AMD, here it is as a packin sort of thing"

It's funny how you don't see people bitching about games adding ANSEL support even though that's vendor lockin and would work on AMD GPUs (of course the software / driver stuff was NVidia developed)

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 9, 2016

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Context posted:

How much content is in it? I watched quite a few videos of it while I was waiting for Touch to come out, so I'm wondering if I've seen most of what it has to offer.

Also wondering how robust Kingspray is. I'd like to mess around with it, but a big blank wall would probably be too directionless for me. Are there stencils to color in or something?

Fantastic Contraption has lots and lots of levels, I haven't gotten anywhere near completing them all. You'll walk away from the game scratching your head over a level you can't figure out.

Kingspray has a %Documents%\Kingspray\Media\ folder that you can dump jpegs into, that can then be accessed by an in-game projector to let you trace them.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

w00tazn posted:

I wonder if the Arizona Sunshine Devs locked that feature behind a paywall instead of Hardware Check if it would've had as much fallout as it did. Instead of just having it as a timed exclusive to HW (that they back peddled on) they could've have easily made it a DLC thing that only I7 owners could buy. Or even worse they could've charged money for non i7 owners and have Intel give coupons for i7 owners.

Like that "works best on AMD, here it is as a packin sort of thing"

It's funny how you don't see people bitching about games adding ANSEL support even though that's vendor lockin and would work on AMD GPUs (of course the software / driver stuff was NVidia developed)

I think any time that you restrict people from using meaningful parts of software based on arbitrary hardware restrictions then you're going to get backlash, whether it is built into the game or part of some kind of restricted DLC. Making Geralt's hair extra fancy in The Witcher or fancy smoke effects on your batmobile in Arkham Knight aren't meaningful, so they receive less backlash. Entire game modes are meaningful, thus the backlash. A free DLC for i7 owners (that non i7 owners have to pay for) seems reasonable, and similarly I would have less animosity towards Oculus if they charged me a surcharge to access content on their store with my Vive without using hacks.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I don't think the APIs existed yet until VivePort came out but based on what Valve has put out there at Dev Days it sounds like Oculus may have the ability now to integrate OpenVR into the Oculus Store and bypass the SteamVR shim/chaperone system all together. (you'd have to redo the setup/integration within your own storefront)

Unless I misheard, they basically said that you could develop your own storefronts and content delivery and ecosystem outside of Steam if you wanted to, and that there were already a few (VivePort) in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhzUn0gmkEU&t=2071s

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish they would just do that. I can see there being a problem where the Vive is missing a button compared to Touch, but surely they can find a way around that. The Vive's grip buttons being digital instead of analog would be an issue for some things but mostly everything I've seen use them so far has treated them as buttons.