Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Texibus posted:

Is there a decent vaccum with re-sealable bags

Kenji swears by Oliso.

Texibus posted:

What vaccum sealer is worth getting under 100 bucks? Or is perfectly fine to just use ziplocks

It's perfectly fine to use ziplocs, but a vacuum sealer is worth it. (I just saw that costco has the Oliso at $100, which is new: http://www.costco.com/Oliso%C2%AE-Pro-1000-Vacuum-Food-Sealer-Starter-Kit-.product.100069508.html) I have and use a cousin of https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FM2000-FFP-Vacuum-Sealing-Starter/dp/B01D5TMBE0 but that seems to be a model without a roll-holder and cutter, which can be a bit inconvenient. Costco still sometimes has a sub-100 model with roll storage and a cutter. Basically, any foodsaver is going to be fine for bags (premade and roll), but (a) an accessory port and house is really useful to have and (b) roll storage and a cutter save you space, time, fiddling, etc. (here's a foodsaver with both @90 https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FM2100-000-Vacuum-Sealing-System/dp/B00OPIYH3O)

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Food saver v2222 model is great and cheap for basic sealing. Been using mine for 6 years and it was $24.

That's what I use, bought it refurbished for 20 bucks. I had to buy replacement gaskets for it after about 5-6 years of use, they were like 10 dollars on amazon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Texibus posted:

What vaccum sealer is worth getting under 100 bucks? Or is perfectly fine to just use ziplocks

Ziplocks are no bueno for longer cooks (24+hrs)

I'd rather have the peace of mind that my 48 hr cook wasn't ruined by the bag delaminating at hour 38

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Test Pattern posted:

(a) an accessory port and house is really useful to have

What do you use yours for? I've never done anything with mine.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

I made Chefsteps' lemon curd sous vide, and then used the canning jars / vacuum jars on my foodsaver to suck out the bubbles. It was way more convenient than endlessly tapping the bowl on the counter for hours.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Sucking the air out of mason jars with the adapter is kinda cool, but I don't actually do it very often. :effort:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

taqueso posted:

Sucking the air out of mason jars with the adapter is kinda cool, but I don't actually do it very often. :effort:

I put all my spices into mason jars and vacuum them, I get several years of life out of spices that would normally only be good for 1

I also vacuum all my teas, stuff that would only be good for 6 months keeps its aroma for over a year

2 liter mason jars are good for saving food that would get crushed in a bag, salads stay good for a week instead of a couple days, cut vegetables can stay good for 2-3 weeks.

I should try what happens to cut apples

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have no idea how I would vacuum a jar with my accessory nozzle thing. Hmm!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
It's a "hat" you put over the disc part of the lid: https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well holy cow. Steve Yun: you reseal your spices after every use?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Well holy cow. Steve Yun: you reseal your spices after every use?
Depends. I vacuum when I buy them. Afterwards if I open a spice and I know I'm gonna use it again in the near future, I won't bother re-vacuuming it. If I don't know I'm gonna use it again in the near future, or if it's expensive like saffron, I'll vacuum it again. It only takes 10 seconds.

Sometimes I'll have a spice I forgot I bought, and vacuuming gives me an extra safety period where it'll be good longer in case I forget to use it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 9, 2016

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Subjunctive posted:

Yun and others covered it above: the mason jar vacuum hat is amazing for spices and sous vide custards etc. I recommend the wide-mouth and buying a dozen half-pint wide mouths. I actually have to buy a second dozen because I wanted to make quiches and discovered only 3 are not in current use for spices, teas, or chemicals.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

I actually have to buy a second dozen because I wanted to make quiches and discovered only 3 are not in current use for spices, teas, or chemicals.

That's clever he vacuums spices, teas and.... wait a second... what?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
For dissolving hookers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
seems a waste when you can sous vide and eat them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Probably stuff like transglutaminase and xanthan gum?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Methylcellulose F50!

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Years ago I bought some small ball mason jars and was surprised that the lid came in two pieces and I was afraid to use it, so they've been hanging out in my garage for years. I have since looked them up and found out they're for canning and the lids have little rubbery rings on it for sealing I guess?

Are those the kind of jars you would need to suck the air out of? And are those lids reusable? (I feel like the little seal will wear out eventually)

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

There's a refurbished FoodSaver FM2000 with a hose and a handful of bags for $39 here. Same company as Meh (and also full disclosure I work for them.)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

cyxx posted:

Are those the kind of jars you would need to suck the air out of? And are those lids reusable? (I feel like the little seal will wear out eventually)

The seal becomes unusable after a few cannings, but it's the heat that does most of the damage, so if you're just vacuuming they last a while. They are pretty cheap to replace though (and you can get non-split lids also in plastic or metal).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

It only takes 10 seconds.

Yeah, I store my sealer awkwardly out of the way, but I have enough space that I don't really have to.

Test Pattern posted:

I recommend the wide-mouth and buying a dozen half-pint wide mouths.

I have many more spices than that, but I *think* a half-pint will fit in my drawer so that's OK. Where did you get yours? Amazon and walmart aren't giving me online shopping love in this area.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I store my sealer awkwardly out of the way, but I have enough space that I don't really have to.

I have many more spices than that, but I *think* a half-pint will fit in my drawer so that's OK. Where did you get yours? Amazon and walmart aren't giving me online shopping love in this area.

I grab mine where is most convenient. Sometimes the hardware store (like True Value or whatever), other times Target and the like.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What is a good meal to sous vide for some vegetarians?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't think of any vegetable that's difficult to cook well so I don't know why I would bother SV'ing veggies.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm imagining tofu curry or something indian would work pretty well. I am basically just trying to show off the thing tbh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Carrots and asparagus are the only veggies I've done. It's neat but not worth the effort or the bag.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

If they're vegetarians and not vegans, maybe crème brulé?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have a porchetta recipe that isn't Kenji's pork belly version? I told my mom about the turchetta I did for Christmas and she asked if I'd be willing to bring my circulator up with my for Christmas and make a porchetta version. I'm not sure I want to go all pork belly though. I've seen people do pork belly wrapped around a pork loin which sounds like it could be a good option. Has anyone done something like that?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm doing a vizzled lamb joint for one of the Christmas day meats. There'll be 8 people and a Turkey, and Ham. but we'll need leftovers for Boxing Day too, so I want to get the biggest cut I can cook.

Is there any size where I can no longer safely cook, requiring me to cut the joint in half and do two smaller joints? I'm a bit worried about either not cooking the thing fully, or having to cook it so long the outside is mush.

And while I'm asking, which joint is going to cook the best? I can get[]url] a breast, leg, saddle or shoulder (all either rolled or not).

[url=http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/sous-vide-leg-of-lamb-mint-cumin-black-mustard-recipe.html]Kenji's rolled leg recipe
only mentions times, not sizes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Not so much a size as a thickness. Generally they say to not let any part of it be more than 4 inches in diameter (or to put it another way, heat should never have to travel more than 2 inches to get to any inner part of the meat). A cylinder of meat that's 9 inches long is okay as long as no section of it has a girth thicker than 4 inches. A sphere of meat that's 5 inches thick by comparison would not be safe because its core would be farther than 2 inches away from hot water (it might be safe but that's the rule of thumb I've read and generally stuck by)

Edit: if you have a smartphone, I suggest you download the Sous Vide Dash app. Douglas Baldwin was one of the early pioneers of sous vide cooking and he did a butt-ton of tests and measurements so that you can input the type of meat, the cut, the thickness and the doneness you want and it'll calculate how long you need to cook it and how long it'll take to pasteurize the core.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 12, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I did sous vide italian sausage for the first time this weekend, a couple hours from frozen at 155, then seared. The texture was quite visually different from sausages that have been poached and seared or boiled or whatever, but the flavor and juiciness were magnificent. 10/10 will puddle again.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Anne Whateley posted:

Probably stuff like transglutaminase and xanthan gum?

ding ding ding

Subjunctive posted:

Amazon if I need a dozen (https://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Home-Brands-Mouth-Canning/dp/B0000BYD0F), but my local home/kitchen store usually has them for about $1.89 a piece. I actually just bought four because I'm bringing mini creme brulees to a NYE party.

I find the lids last a dozen vacuum cycles at least -- I've lost more to bending when I open them, but even a sub-boiling bath shortens that. Luckily, packs of lids are dirt cheap.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 12, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sadly, amazon.ca doesn't carry those, and getting them shipped from the US is silly. Happily, I found some at my hardware store.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I tried to make a chuck roast and failed horribly. I put it in at 135 degrees and took it out after a day, at which point I realized it got some significant lactobacillus activity (i.e. was green). I think it affected the flavor as well for sure, and I also realized that a day was not long enough at that temperature. I put it in for another day. It tastes like rear end.

Takeaway question: do you guys do something to sanitize the surface of your meat before a very look SV session? Briefly boil it? Sear?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Glottis posted:

I tried to make a chuck roast and failed horribly. I put it in at 135 degrees and took it out after a day, at which point I realized it got some significant lactobacillus activity (i.e. was green). I think it affected the flavor as well for sure, and I also realized that a day was not long enough at that temperature. I put it in for another day. It tastes like rear end.

Takeaway question: do you guys do something to sanitize the surface of your meat before a very look SV session? Briefly boil it? Sear?

The surface is the first thing to get cooked and made safe, so it was probably something else (maybe it was contaminated inside, maybe it took too long for the core to get up to temp, etc)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glottis posted:

significant lactobacillus activity (i.e. was green). I think it affected the flavor as well for sure

Am I understanding that your reaction to green meat was to taste it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm curious about this. Did you take any photos?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Look buddy just because you don't like green eggs and ham

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Stop right there with your placebo flavor talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Glottis posted:

You should search the sous vide subreddit because you aren't the first to have that issue. But yeah apparently at that low temperature with a long cook time you should have s
Dtopped it in boiling water pre circulating it