Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am part of the entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment, if you've got an interesting sour/lambic/saison/whatever rec, lay it on me. I'm not much into strongly hopped stuff and can't distinguish between different varieties of hops so those types of things are completely lost on me.

Also, today I whip up a new mead must. Perhaps I will name it AEGIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Propagandist posted:

Can someone explain to me why they need to launch ships from a carrier as if they need to pick up speed and create lift?

It's space. Just kick the thing out.

They mocapped (apparently multiple times, including one karate/hilarity version) a guy on the deck doing some kind of flight check. Why.

Why does the ship need to go fast? Why. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Did no one say "hey um it's in space so"

Anyway, happy Friday everyone.

Rule of cool?

You could maybe argue that tossing ships out of the carrier fast helps prevent the fighters from being a sitting duck by an attacking enemy. But the next logical thought is "Why the gently caress do they have fighters in the first place?"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

War of the Worlds posted:

As I wish to defeat detestable fascism and its army quickly, I recommend my invention, KARAR: an armoured light jumping vehicle. The design, tactical, and combat capabilities are as follows.

Design posted:

Design: a steel ball-shaped turret, placed on six legs. The legs are the suspension, put in motion by an engine in the turret. The Karar moves by jumping between 5 and 20 meters. The jump is powered by the engine. Its power is transmitted to the legs by clutch A and rocker B. The rocker, pushing against the top of the leg, throws the body of the Karar in the desired direction. Two rockers push on two neighbouring legs, at the time of the jump the other legs are retracted. Before jumping, the turret is turned with the motor. There are six positions for the turret.

The Karar is piloted by one person who sits in the turret on a rotating chair. The driver is, at the same time, the gunner. The Karar is 3 meters tall, the turret diameter is up to 1.5 meters. The six legs are positioned in a six-pointed star with a diameter of 3.5 meters.

The Karar is made of light alloys, which makes it light overall, making the jumps quick and easy. See the overall view and specific parts in the attached diagram. I did not have the opportunity to provide detailed blueprints, as the idea of the Karar was born in a battlefield situation without the possibility of consultation for technical calculations and drafting of proper blueprints. It would be desirable to work with a real engineer. I could provide blueprints or models of the vehicle within a short time. According to my calculations, producing the Karar would be very cheap. The engine does not need to be powerful, and will use a little more fuel than a motorcycle. A notable feature of the Karar is the ease of replacing any component [you can stop reading now, the author's technical illiteracy can be seen in every word, but the author does not see it and demands an answer]

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
canada so usa.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Everyone seeking a refund should be refunded for the value of everything in their account, with the only exception being evidence of some kind of money laundering or other monetary fraud.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

page 69 :grin:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know what Angelarch is bitching about. This was him a year ago.

He got his money's worth already.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

I don't know what Angelarch is bitching about. This was him a year ago.

He got his money's worth already.

He's been turned. He'll demand a refund and come to our loving embrace soon enough.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Any complications about refund value involving ship gifting is a complication CIG presented onto itself by allowing those transactions to occur. Get the full value of your account, or contact the various government agencies if they refuse.

California Attorney General, the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs, the Federal Trade Commission, and any applicable authorities local to you.

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers
https://iddweb.isd.lacounty.gov/dca_ecomplaint/
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

http://i.imgur.com/Oq6tBwn.mp4

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Why is she doing the I'm giving someone a blow job schtick?
It's just weird a VP of a multi million dollar company in charge of HR and Marketing would do such a thing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lladre posted:

Why is she doing the I'm giving someone a blow job schtick?
It's just weird a VP of a multi million dollar company in charge of HR and Marketing would do such a thing.
Nah, she's been doing it since she was a li... Eww...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

The problem with that is the r/ at the beginning. There is a limit to how much I'm willing to debase myself, and below that limit, there's roughly -∞ and then there's reddit.

I got banned from FDev (it should be up by now) because I called a guy a liar after he repeatedly lied about things I supposedly had said, which he “proved” by presenting quotes of me saying the exact opposite. He and I have about the same amount of infractions, and he reported me first so I got kicked out and he got to stay to lie some more. :D

Join the club. I got banned for basically the same thing. Apparently you can't tell someone they're lying. Or something.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Chris Ihao posted:

What the hell happened to the other thread? Havent been around the last two weeks.

I'm kinda late on this but since nobody else has answered, everyone was excited for page 6666 so the mods locked it at page 6665 to blue ball everyone.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

drat it, there goes ANOTHER hobby!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

canada so usa.

Keep us informed what's happening with the refund, CIG keep tabs on the thread and they really won't like us laughing at their pitiful attempts at avoiding refunding you, which might also help.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:ughh:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Join the club. I got banned for basically the same thing. Apparently you can't tell someone they're lying. Or something.
He probably would have just put you on ignore if you proved him wrong.

:v:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Cheeeeeese ridin' out againnnn OooohOOHH!

Oh, yeah, he'sa ridin' cheesy.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tippis posted:

Quite, and that clip is why I'm not just limiting it to space but extend it to all physics. The problem he's having isn't just one of not grasping zero gravity, but of not understanding the very basics of conservation of momentum. Now, I don't know if the UK educational system was particularly horrible in the '70s, but around here, we learn about that core principle in 7th grade (±confusion over what counts as, and the exact order of, a “grade” in various countries).

If he was even remotely as interested in the topic as he claims, he would have grasped what Garriott was saying based on that knowledge alone… and yet, he keeps trying to argue against a man who has actual personal experience with the effects.

It was funny watching the vid of them talking about Sataball. Garriott started talking about the interesting ways the physics could work while Chris nodded along and then said they will travel by firing a grappling hook. Garriott explained that firing a grappling hook forward would push you backwards so then Chris explained that it is a LASER GRAPPLING HOOK and Garriott just let it go at that point.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Quite, and that clip is why I'm not just limiting it to space but extend it to all physics. The problem he's having isn't just one of not grasping zero gravity, but of not understanding the very basics of conservation of momentum. Now, I don't know if the UK educational system was particularly horrible in the '70s, but around here, we learn about that core principle in 7th grade (±confusion over what counts as, and the exact order of, a “grade” in various countries).

Nope, but if you were mainly dicking around with computers in the 1980s, you were loving around with 'entertainment' systems. I often taunt my parents with their advice to leave the computers alone, as it's now paid for multiple houses.

Conservation of momentum and Newton's laws are touched on in Primary school, and expanded out by the time you hit high school. My physics teacher of the time demonstrated such things by using bricks on strings. Roberts is a thicky that managed to get in the ground floor in games when physics simulation was reserved for the BBC B educational physics package.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am part of the entertainment.

Like a calm Brian Blessed.

^^^ edit: "But photons have momentum, Chris"

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

You realize launching SQ42 alone will make as much as all ship sales thus far, right?
And then launching SQ42 2
And SQ42 3
Assuming 2 million sales each. And if it's not good enough to warrant 2 million sales, then it's not worth $150 million and six years.

There will be no issues maintaining development and servers if SQ42 and SC are good.
They need endlessly more money because CR let the budget run away. CR expects just the single player games they're releasing before the MMO (SQ42 1-3) to cost $150 million.
And who know how much more the much larger MMO will add to that.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I don't recall ever needing to show my ID to anyone to buy this lovely game or any other one in existence for that matter.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/2kykGUa.gifv

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect she will never e-mail me again.

Sorry, old man, I know you would repledge just to hear her dulcet tones pronouncing your name once more, but hang tough, buddy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A long time ago I used to moderate the science section of the UFO Forum on Compuserve. I also moderated the Skeptic section before anyone gets to wild. We'd have people coming in all the time with flying machines and over-unity devices ~ as an aside I got to knock around with some of the guys loving with cold fusion, which was interesting.

They'd usually forget something really fundamental, like the effect of acceleration on something squishy with internal organs, or the power density required to do what they wanted to do with local space. I mean, like _really obvious stuff_ after fifteen pages of the most elegant and often wrong math you'd ever seen.

Start with Newton and work up to your fusion reactor designs, guys.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

In my most recent post, that I posted in December of 2016, you will find something that I have been saying all along: PAARP

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

:perfect:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Strawman posted:

There will be no issues maintaining development and servers if SQ42 and SC are good.
Looks like everything will be fine then.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

Sorry, old man, I know you would repledge just to hear her dulcet tones pronouncing your name once more, but hang tough, buddy.

I will try to endure.

Refund spergs, how long did CIG take to initially respond?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:gary::gary::gary::gary::gary:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
newsletter just went out with some Holiday Livestream deets

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=32d8ef31243db6075c45571bd&id=66189ffeb5&e=cbe9e3fa1d

quote:

Join us on our Twitch and YouTube channels for our Holiday Live Stream next Friday, December 16th at 11 AM PST / 7 PM GMT. Expect to see 2.6 gameplay and features, a friendly international competition, more details about an alien race, a new concept ship and details on our upcoming Holiday Promotions.

Sounds like the QA they've been doing is for a non-LAN Star Marine demonstration. No mention of Squadron 42.

Also they updated their schedule report

PTU window is now set to somewhere between today and next Wednesday. Live release is still scheduled for next Friday.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Refund spergs, how long did CIG take to initially respond?
Haha, you think they'll respond.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Holy poo poo, u worth more dan diamond, more dan gold.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

newsletter just went out with some Holiday Livestream deets

Oh wow, a new concept ship????? My interest is certainly piqued!

e: loving el o el at the bar simply named "CONTENT" in their "road map". CONTENT.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Erenthal posted:

e: loving el o el at the bar simply named "CONTENT" in their "road map". CONTENT.

There's one called "Code" too :shobon:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Erenthal posted:

I am intriguided. They are running out of regular sci-fi "concepts" and they cant easily sell another ship with the same role without having a part of the community screaming "power creep" before its even released. What will it be ? Another single seater for quick cash or a new "ship as a job/class" big multicrew for the dreamers ? Hospital ship ? Taco truck ? Garbage scow ? Tugboat ? Coast Guard ?

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 9, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thatguy posted:

Haha, you think they'll respond.

I don't, I just wanted to know how long I should wait before contacting the various agencies that likely already have significant cases against CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

angelarch

Ban this sick leaver filth goonie. The BDSSM has no need for them! Uhm, Sandi? You better handle this one personally.