Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I [M21] want to have sex with other women, even though I love my girlfriend [F20]

quote:

[deleted]

lol. Couldn't find the cached copy anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That dude needs some loving therapy

e: the first one anyway, the second one just needs to keep it in his loving pants

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What is the deal with people whose partners suddenly do some kind of 180? Like for instance the ones that suddenly become religious, join a cult, become vegan, become obsessed with something to the detriment of their relationship, etc?

It makes more sense to me that a person starts out into something and ropes their partner into it. Having one partner suddenly change without any warning sounds more unusual than it seems to be. The person has a partner who isn't enmeshed in whatever subculture they're getting immersed, which I would assume would give some kind of passive pushback. All I can figure is that the person had warning signs they were prone to it but their partner ignored them the whole time. A lot of testimonials born again Christians give, for example talk about their life hitting rock bottom in some kind of way. Wouldn't the other partner know about that?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
People communicate/listen poorly and are oblivious.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Lockback posted:

quote:

I also suggested an open relationship, and she was disgusted by that. Her exact words were "Why even bother be dating then? I might as well just call you my fuckbuddy instead of my boyfriend." Irony, right?
the balls on that lady goddamn

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I think I'm sensible in my appeals to the divine by saying I'm perfectly fine even with winning just 10 grand. Hoping my modesty will grant me good things

I hope you get your no strings attached 10k. :3:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Panfilo posted:

What is the deal with people whose partners suddenly do some kind of 180? Like for instance the ones that suddenly become religious, join a cult, become vegan, become obsessed with something to the detriment of their relationship, etc?

It makes more sense to me that a person starts out into something and ropes their partner into it. Having one partner suddenly change without any warning sounds more unusual than it seems to be. The person has a partner who isn't enmeshed in whatever subculture they're getting immersed, which I would assume would give some kind of passive pushback. All I can figure is that the person had warning signs they were prone to it but their partner ignored them the whole time. A lot of testimonials born again Christians give, for example talk about their life hitting rock bottom in some kind of way. Wouldn't the other partner know about that?

A lot of those changes happen when people have kids. You'll notice that trend when you read those posts. All of a sudden things like religion, diet, and media consumption become big "holy poo poo" decisions because you're in charge of a child and want to do the right thing. People then go overboard trying to do the best thing. It also seems that a big push is one partner staying at home all the time who then becomes obsessed with these ideas.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Her boyfriend is a doormat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

1st AD posted:

People communicate/listen poorly and are oblivious.

So you think the changes in the other partner were more gradual than the poster lets on?

My own parents got divorced when I was young and my mom always emphasized what a shock it was for her to discover that my dad had cheated on her. As I got older and more cynical I started to press her about that fact because my dad is a very quiet guy and I had wondered if maybe he had been checked out of the marriage for a long time. He never gave me a straight answer either, his reasoning for cheating on my mom with his best friends pregnant wife was "I don't know."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know earlier I said "Don't cheat", but there's an important complementary rule, "Dump cheaters."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Her boyfriend is a doormat.

Here's where I'd say "she could exploit that and agree to the open relationship so she can keep loving around on him without having to hide it from him" but hiding it from him doesn't seem to be terribly high on her list of priorities anyway so in that context it does seem entirely unnecessary

Pick posted:

I know earlier I said "Don't cheat", but there's an important complementary rule, "Dump cheaters."

Really hoping the comments are saying "get her out of your life and some regular therapy into it" because holy drat does that dude have problems that this is exacerbating

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you're girl is exacerbating...

... switch to masturbating!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Panfilo posted:

So you think the changes in the other partner were more gradual than the poster lets on?

My own parents got divorced when I was young and my mom always emphasized what a shock it was for her to discover that my dad had cheated on her. As I got older and more cynical I started to press her about that fact because my dad is a very quiet guy and I had wondered if maybe he had been checked out of the marriage for a long time. He never gave me a straight answer either, his reasoning for cheating on my mom with his best friends pregnant wife was "I don't know."

Yeah there's something there that wasn't communicated - people don't suddenly decide to blow up a good relationship, but as a relationship starts to fall apart blowing it up seems like an increasingly good option.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So I don't read Reddit (I hate the way it's formatted), but am totally engrossed in this thread (thanks, ladychat :argh:).

Half of these start with "throwaway because my SO is a redditor", and then they launch into the most bizarre stories that give specifics on age and gender and situations right in the title. Like, if my husband was a goon and I was posting over in e/n "my [42F] husband [46M] digs his own poop out with a pencil", he wouldn't come across that and think, "hmm, I'M 46, and my wife is 42, and I dig my own poop out with a pencil. But, gosh, that's not her username. Surely this can't be about us."

If you're both hardcore redditors, what's the point of a parachute? Do they just stupidly assume that even though they're having relationship problems, the other person isn't entertaining the idea of reading and/or posting in r/relationships? Do these ever blow up when the other party stumbles upon them? I've seen it happen on SA, just wondering if any of these have had spectacular trainwrecks like the Bill Maher Bang Bus saga here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So I don't read Reddit (I hate the way it's formatted), but am totally engrossed in this thread (thanks, ladychat :argh:).

Half of these start with "throwaway because my SO is a redditor", and then they launch into the most bizarre stories that give specifics on age and gender and situations right in the title. Like, if my husband was a goon and I was posting over in e/n "my [42F] husband [46M] digs his own poop out with a pencil", he wouldn't come across that and think, "hmm, I'M 46, and my wife is 42, and I dig my own poop out with a pencil. But, gosh, that's not her username. Surely this can't be about us."

If you're both hardcore redditors, what's the point of a parachute? Do they just stupidly assume that even though they're having relationship problems, the other person isn't entertaining the idea of reading and/or posting in r/relationships? Do these ever blow up when the other party stumbles upon them? I've seen it happen on SA, just wondering if any of these have had spectacular trainwrecks like the Bill Maher Bang Bus saga here.

Reddit's userbase is so, so, so much bigger than SAs. Millions of people use Reddit. The odds are almost impossible unless both people actively follow that subreddit.

If anything, I bet people reading r/relationships get false positives all the time.

"Holy poo poo, that sounds like my partner!"
*accuses partner*
Partner - "What the gently caress is Reddit?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If your S/O knows your reddit username, they can easily see your post history by clicking your username. If you use a throwaway to complain about them, they can possibly see it and guess it's about them if they happen to be browsing the specific subreddit you posted in, but they can't stumble across it accidentally while looking at all the Awkward Penguin memes you posted this week.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Also there are definitely people who would scrub through the OP's posting history, figure out who their SO is and message said SO saying "look what your boy/girlfriend is posting about you"

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

HardDiskD posted:

I hope you get your no strings attached 10k. :3:

And I hope some no strings attached lottery winnings come your way as well!

I wonder what the point of even saying "throwaway because they know I'm a Redditor" and "names changed" even is. Just do it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hello my username is throwaway12345 and this is a throwaway account, furthermore,

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

54 40 or gently caress posted:

And I hope some no strings attached lottery winnings come your way as well!

I wonder what the point of even saying "throwaway because they know I'm a Redditor" and "names changed" even is. Just do it.

Or even don't say its a throwaway, then if the SO stumbles upon it they will think its someone else's account

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If it's a throwaway acct then I'm assuming they changed the ages also.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
E/N here outlawed the phrase "names changed" or explanations of it and it was a really good decision because it literally doesn't matter to the post or context if a person is Pam or Kim.

Lockback posted:

A literal doormat gained sentience, found a terrible girlfriend, and posted on reddit.

Trigger Warning: Slightly sad? They guy realizes the situation sucks but has super low self esteem, but he says he is ugly and boring so maybe he just knows whats up.

I [23M] know that logically I should break up with my girlfriend [19F] of six months but I don't see "better" coming out of it

I mean, I could have bolded the entire thing really.

This dude is way too young to be pulling the "I'm a sack of poo poo with no redeeming value" card and it's kind of sad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Charles Get-Out posted:

This dude is way too young to be pulling the "I'm a sack of poo poo with no redeeming value" card and it's kind of sad.

I never knew that card had an expiry date.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've known some really ugly and boring people in their early 20s who were total sad sacks of poo poo, but I give this guy props for being self-aware about it.

Also, people rarely "suddenly change". Most of the time their SOs go into the relationship with spectacular blinders on and only see the crazy when the luster on their perfect relationship starts to fade. Also, most of the descriptions are probably exaggerated too to make the poster seem like the innocent party because people are terrible.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I have no idea if Coffee is a Euphemism here or what. Are these real people or is some AI learning relationship posts and awkwardly trying to make its own.

I [26F] cried because my boyfriend [26M] didn't want to drink coffee.

quote:

So, I love coffee. I drink it every morning and like trying out new cafes. When my boyfriend and I were long-distance he agreed he'd try it with me. It excited me because it's something I really enjoy. When we finally met IRL a couple years ago, things changed. Not only did the pet names and verbal affection decline, but he decided he'd rather not try coffee because it didn't appeal to him.

I accepted it. It didn't matter much compared to the fact that he was now calling me LDRCoffeeAddict instead of sweetheart, honey, baby, etc. which was a bit of a shock. When we discussed the issue he said he felt awkward saying those things in person. "Over the phone there was a buffer," he'd say. I always knew he had intimacy issues (e.g. refuses to hug his mom) but I didn't realize it would change our relationship so much.

He now says sweet things but in a less romantic way. He'll say "You're my girl" once in a blue moon or tell me "I like hanging out with you," etc. No more pet names or compliments.

Earlier we discussed us sharing a cup of coffee. He responded with "We'll see" and then stated "I just don't want to try coffee." It upset me. I explained it was about more than just the coffee; it was about his willingness to try things with me that I enjoy. His response was that he did plenty of things I wanted to do (i.e. watch movies I like, try cuisines I enjoy, etc.) and that he didn't see drinking coffee as a big deal but ultimately agreed he'd try it if it meant that much to me.

The agreement to drink coffee was something I held onto. He let go of the pet names and stopped referring to me as "Beautiful". The willingness to sip a mug of coffee with me was all I had left from that time and he tried to get rid of that too.

Can anyone offer a different perspective? It's incredibly hurtful I practically had to start crying for it to register how important it is to me. I'd like to hear that perhaps I'm overreacting but any response would be appreciated.

TLDR: LDR boyfriend was resistant to trying coffee with me despite previously agreeing to it before meeting in person.

lol at her BF making up a screen-name-sounding pet name when they finally met.

Ok, so I think Coffee is Heroin. It's really the only way this starts to kind of make sense.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
[/quote]

She's getting touched with more than the balls.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, in AA/12 Step stuff, the Making Amends parts warns you to not actually expect forgiveness. For my part, I apologized for my actions, was specific, detailed what I was currently doing to change my behaviors and asked if there were any actions I might take to right my wrongs. I also made it clear that I was not asking for forgiveness, and if I was sending a letter or email, etc. stated that I was not even expecting a response. I got a few responses back, my face-to-face stuff was reasonably positive and I at least made peace with a few people. It was cathartic, but still pretty intimidating and uncomfortable overall. I meant what I said, though. I can't even imagine just rolling up and going "oh man, I'm in AA and I'm apologizing for stuff. I secretly ruined your life. Oops! Gotta jet!"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me a shy [28 M] started dating a [18 F] Is the age difference too weird?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I wonder how many /atheism posters also post to /childfree because they have the same tone (Debate me :smug:) to their rants.

My 12 reasons I'm personally never having kids

quote:

Pregnancy/childbirth. Because gently caress that, that's why!

I may be bipolar like my dad and bipolar disorder is sometimes hereditary. Not gonna take the chance.

I love holding newborn babies (so tiny and fragile...), but I have no patience for any child between the ages of 3 months to 8 years, depending on how bratty the kid is.
Overpopulation. Look at New York, China, India, all the big cities. The filth. Need I say more?

Bullying. I may have been home-schooled, but that doesn't mean I didn't face with some mean kids. In this day and age, with girls as young as 8 to 10 years old becoming anorexic because of fat-shaming from bullies, haha yeah, I'm not giving bully brats more bait to push around. -.-

Look at how many kids are in foster care and orphanages. If I ever, at any point in my life, end up getting a kid, I'm adopting.

My mom having a new baby when I was 13 (kid's now 4 years old) just solidified my reasons to be CF. I can't take diapers, potty training, baby slobber, etc. And I am NOT wiping another human's rear end, thank you.

I don't need someone to take care of me when I'm older. Doubt they'd care anyway. Don't believe me? Look at the homes for the elderly. My hometown is a tiny little place, and there are 3 homes for elderly people. Used to go caroling around the holidays, and the places would be empty, save for the employees and residents. Now tell me that people really do care for their elderly family members, because it looks more like they're just waiting for the old to die. :/

I'm planning on fostering/adopting animals from shelters, and there's no telling which ones will be child friendly or not. There is no animal discrimination on my watch, so I don't care if the animal's an ex-fighting pitbull, I'm welcoming the pooch with open arms. Kids will just have to stay out. :)

I just don't like certain sounds (baby/child crying, chewing, those loving kiddy songs in cartoons....HELL NO) and I get pissed easy...
If I didn't live with my Christian family (including the 4 year old sibling I mentioned before), I'd be swearing up and down like a sailor. Regardless of how mature you think your kid is, I don't think a kid should have to hear R rated language at such a young age. Just sayin'.

Money. Kids cost a poo poo-ton of cash just to care for. That money could be used to keep myself out of debt and to care for future furbabies.

People definitely will bingo me. Tell me I'll change my mind, etc.

I'll just become more determined to prove them wrong. :)

EDIT: I swear I didn't look at post history before I saw this. https://www.reddit.com/r/exchristian/comments/5heueb/my_5_reasons_i_am_personally_no_longer_christian/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It figures, she's only seventeen.

It's funny how much childfree people describe children as 'bratty'. I'm sure she's going to be a pretty insufferable older sibling.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like how there's an implicit admission in there that any kids she had would be fat

Better for any of the porkers that would shoot forth from my loins to never have to live at all than suffer under all that blubber amirite

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think this is pretty funny

quote:

How can I [39F] prevent a local elected official [60sM] from barging in on my piano gig?

I work for a small municipality and I also happen to play piano. My first year here, I randomly started playing Christmas songs on the piano where we held our employee Christmas luncheon, so for the past 11 years, I've been asked to provide mood music for that event.

My set is basically all David Lanz, who is a New Age solo pianist. Imagine floaty, relaxing piano music.. beautiful stuff!

Last year, one of our council members brought his tenor sax. I learned of this only when he started playing while I was in the middle of playing! It was loud and terrible! He tried to play along with me, but New Age piano solo music is not exactly conducive to accompaniment because it's not straightforward melodies. Also, the sax is tuned to a different pitch than piano, so to play piano music you have to transpose (play a different note than what's written), which is a skill that not everyone has!

In other words, you would have to be one drat fine musician to pull off what he did - and he isn't! Not to mention how RUDE it is to step into another musician's performance without consulting with them first!!

Afterwards, I got all kinds of comments saying how weird and awful it was. I told Councilman that we should get together next year so we can put together something nice. That hasn't happened (and frankly, I'm not interested, though I would have done if he had initiated contact about it).

Our luncheon is next week and I have no idea if he plans to bring his sax or not. I don't know how to relay the message that I do not want him to! I feel way, way too awkward to contact him directly. Would it be appropriate to confide in our City Manager (with whom I'm more comfortable, but it would still be awkward) and let him be gatekeeper?

How should I phrase this request and not come off like a prima donna?

TL;DR - A higher up barged in on my piano performance last year. How can I make sure it doesn't happen this year?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I wonder how many Childfree people are literally children themselves. That poster was 17, which seems about the right age to be absolutely certain that you know everything and have it all figured out. It's a little less obnoxious when it's coming from teenagers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trump needs more to do.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bonster posted:

I wonder how many Childfree people are literally children themselves. That poster was 17, which seems about the right age to be absolutely certain that you know everything and have it all figured out. It's a little less obnoxious when it's coming from teenagers.

When I was 17, I was dead certain I was going to have lots of children. Now I'm thinking closer to none. Same stupidity, just in reverse.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Gaunab posted:

I think this is pretty funny
I just listened to some David Lanz and some old dude busting in with a sax solo would make that music a billion times better

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bonster posted:

Agreed. At that age she might be jealous her little brother is getting all the attention.

I see a lot of childfree posters obsessed with animals and often they act like it's an either /or thing. I think some of them obsess and dote on animals because they try ti justify being 'responsible' for another living being, just not kids.

I think the other reason they prefer animals over people is that animals can't say no.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Coffee has to be heroin. Wtf else

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Coffee has to be heroin. Wtf else

Do people try out different blends of heroin? She might be talking weed, but why use euphemisms for weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I choose to believe that she's just really into anal.