Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They did this with Iceman once.

Bobby Drake is too stupid to realize how much water is in everything.

"Freeze that guy Bobby!"

"But he's a man not water?!"

"THIS IS WHY STORM FAILED YOU IN SCIENCE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Hell yeah, that sounds cool. Gotta be creative wit your superpowers, writers!

It's honestly a shame the show isn't better. It's got all the ingredients for an amazing show. Sharlto Copley as a disgruntled ex-Power detective, Eddie Izzard as different bad guy. A fairly well developed universe in which the treat superheroes and villains relatively realistically. Interesting takes on powers in general, as said.

It just all falls flat. The writing is kind of meh, the dialogues are all kind of stilted, the special effects are low budget to the point of feeling dated. Everything is just... mediocre.

If you want interesting takes on superpowers and haven't seen Misfits yet, go watch it. It's goddamn amazing, especially the first couple of seasons, although the last couple of seasons aren't at all bad either.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
That is why I liked the book Steelheart where people with powers have taken control and the stronger your power the higher up in the organization you are.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Bobby Drake is too stupid to realize how much water is in everything.
Elijah Snow from Planetary has cold powers, and he incapacitates a man by waiting until he goes to take a leak, then freezing his urine stream solid all the way up into his bladder.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I hate when there's this amazing technological innovation but because it's not perfected yet they just loving sit on it until they get the kinks out (generally this is 'the tech works safely on humans'). Like in Ant Man where the badguy finally gets his pissjuice particles to shrink organic matter. Who cares, you're transforming the world's logistics by having super container ships shrunk to the size of a toy. Plenty of time to develop Tiny Assassins along the way. See also invisibility, teleportation, etc.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I also like it when a power has a logical secondary effect. Like say you have ice powers. If you're actually cooling the water rather than forcing a state change to happen at a temperature and pressure it normally wouldn't, what's happening to the heat that was in the water? Logically it has to go somewhere. If it doesn't go anywhere, you're straight up removing energy from the universe. Either one is something you can use to write something interesting. Someone with ice powers could cook some monster that wasn't affected by low temperatures by dumping heat from freezing something else into it, or maybe it turns out the heat removed from using cold powers goes to someone who uses heat powers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

The main characters power is that no one can take things that belong to her and at one point she rationalizes that the air is her air and the bad guys are taking it.

That's idiotic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

I hate when there's this amazing technological innovation but because it's not perfected yet they just loving sit on it until they get the kinks out (generally this is 'the tech works safely on humans'). Like in Ant Man where the badguy finally gets his pissjuice particles to shrink organic matter. Who cares, you're transforming the world's logistics by having super container ships shrunk to the size of a toy. Plenty of time to develop Tiny Assassins along the way. See also invisibility, teleportation, etc.

Flash and Arrow are good at this, fuckin Flash team comes up with like world-changing science poo poo every drat week and probably doesn't publish any of it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Slime posted:

I also like it when a power has a logical secondary effect. Like say you have ice powers. If you're actually cooling the water rather than forcing a state change to happen at a temperature and pressure it normally wouldn't, what's happening to the heat that was in the water? Logically it has to go somewhere. If it doesn't go anywhere, you're straight up removing energy from the universe. Either one is something you can use to write something interesting. Someone with ice powers could cook some monster that wasn't affected by low temperatures by dumping heat from freezing something else into it, or maybe it turns out the heat removed from using cold powers goes to someone who uses heat powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJNnYYip_zk

this dude's videos are mostly about storylines (and his voice is kind of annoying) but he goes into a lot of stuff like this in his series on retardedly powerful comic book characters

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The other thing is the anxiety about technology being in the wrong hands because how it will change warfare. Atom bombs are often used as a point of reference but that falls flat when you consider :

-We only used nukes twice in their entire history of existence

-The threat of nuclear weapons has not halted global development and research of nuclear power.

In a way a lot of Sci fi feels kind of anti intellectual and conservative. Anyone that is brilliant or ambitious is doomed to tragedy. Technology is dangerous, unpredictable, and selfish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taeke posted:

It's honestly a shame the show isn't better. It's got all the ingredients for an amazing show. Sharlto Copley as a disgruntled ex-Power detective, Eddie Izzard as different bad guy. A fairly well developed universe in which the treat superheroes and villains relatively realistically. Interesting takes on powers in general, as said.

It just all falls flat. The writing is kind of meh, the dialogues are all kind of stilted, the special effects are low budget to the point of feeling dated. Everything is just... mediocre.

The comic it's based on is really good though. Also called Powers.

Panfilo posted:

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Dec 9, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For some reason the wrong hands thing reminded me of my favourite dumb-as-hell Dr Who line from a deranged old woman with a space rocket and a dream:

"But tech like this could be devastating in the wrong hands!"
"Do you know what these are Doctor? *Brandishes hands* The wrong hands :smug:"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Someone needs to make a film based on the caveman Sci fi parody.

An ambitious caveman is close to developing the wheel, but the heroes need to stop him before it falls into the wrong hands.

"Urf not ready for wheel, Ugg. Can't risk bad neanderthal use wheel for bad! "

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh, sure make the Neanderthals the villains. Cro Magnon can be bad too you know you racist, how come the Neanderthals have to always get poo poo on? The Neander is a beautiful valley with a rich culture.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Panfilo posted:

Someone needs to make a film based on the caveman Sci fi parody.

An ambitious caveman is close to developing the wheel, but the heroes need to stop him before it falls into the wrong hands.

"Urf not ready for wheel, Ugg. Can't risk bad neanderthal use wheel for bad! "

Are you sure you didn't make this, and then forgot about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEChG1DKGvY

Or the original http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/caveman-science-fiction/

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Panfilo posted:

The other thing is the anxiety about technology being in the wrong hands because how it will change warfare. Atom bombs are often used as a point of reference but that falls flat when you consider :

-We only used nukes twice in their entire history of existence

-The threat of nuclear weapons has not halted global development and research of nuclear power.

In a way a lot of Sci fi feels kind of anti intellectual and conservative. Anyone that is brilliant or ambitious is doomed to tragedy. Technology is dangerous, unpredictable, and selfish.

I'm replaying the Mass Effect games and the story mentions more than once that Hiroshima got nuked. I understand it's used as a framing device, saying this nuke is 30 times more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima, but it's odd in the hundreds of years in the future that have passed by that they still just reference Hiroshima for context rather than something that happened more recently.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

the whole Inception buildings thing was cool, if one magician used it once instead of it being a standard form of combat for really no reason.

In somewhat fairness nobody was able to do it in the real world. It was just that you could do crazy poo poo in the mirror realm. The villain in the film being able to do it to real buildings was a big deal.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm replaying the Mass Effect games and the story mentions more than once that Hiroshima got nuked. I understand it's used as a framing device, saying this nuke is 30 times more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima, but it's odd in the hundreds of years in the future that have passed by that they still just reference Hiroshima for context rather than something that happened more recently.

Maybe Hiroshima gets bombed more in the future.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think that point of reference is for our benefit. "More powerful than the bomb dropped on Neo New York on planet Zebulon 5" wouldn't give the player a frame of reference.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Morpheus posted:

When it comes to Jedi fighting Jedi, it's probably because as a Jedi you're resisting their attacks. Same reason you don't just use jedi powers to turn off the opponent's lightsaber.

I really wish that'd have been Yoda's shtick in the prequels, something weird and crazy that we've never seen before. Like, Dooku draws his sabre, Yoda just stands there. Dooku taunts saying something like "You don't even have a sabre!" and Yoda's like "Yours, my sabre will be!" reaches out and dooku's sabre starts curving backwards towards him.

You know, really emphasizing the underlying theme that the Force is the most powerful thing in the Universe, not lightsabres.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

My Lovely Horse posted:

Elijah Snow from Planetary has cold powers, and he incapacitates a man by waiting until he goes to take a leak, then freezing his urine stream solid all the way up into his bladder.

Well yeah, that's written by Warren Ellis, and he's one of the most creatively sadistic comic writers around.

Speaking of, the very end of Transmetropolitan bugged me. Spider Jerusalem should have been hosed up forever by the i-pollen, burning himself out to take down his opponent is an excellent ending, but then having no real consequences for him makes it kind of hollow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really wish that'd have been Yoda's shtick in the prequels, something weird and crazy that we've never seen before. Like, Dooku draws his sabre, Yoda just stands there. Dooku taunts saying something like "You don't even have a sabre!" and Yoda's like "Yours, my sabre will be!" reaches out and dooku's sabre starts curving backwards towards him.

You know, really emphasizing the underlying theme that the Force is the most powerful thing in the Universe, not lightsabres.

The novelisation of Revenge of the Sith says this is why the Jedi lost - they spent a thousand years preparing to beat the Sith in a straight fight and became stagnant while the Sith spent a thousand years evolving and scheming to undermine the Republic from within.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Marvel has a guy called Molecule Man who started out being kind of a chump but through the years they realized a guy with the power to control molecules is basically God so now even Galactus is scared of that little nerd. And Sue Storm has threatened to create force bubbles in people's heads before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When people on TV say "screw you" instead of "gently caress you" due to censorship rules. I'd rather they just say the word and have it muted like Breaking Bad did a couple of times.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Henchman of Santa posted:

When people on TV say "screw you" instead of "gently caress you" due to censorship rules. I'd rather they just say the word and have it muted like Breaking Bad did a couple of times.

Yeah but then we wouldn't have amazing dubbed in lines like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's why I never got why everyone shits on Aquaman. He has complete control of over 73% of the Earth.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That's why I never got why everyone shits on Aquaman. He has complete control of over 73% of the Earth.

We send all our poop to his domain. We literally poo poo on Aquaman.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh, sure make the Neanderthals the villains. Cro Magnon can be bad too you know you racist, how come the Neanderthals have to always get poo poo on? The Neander is a beautiful valley with a rich culture.
You sure that's what you want?

Sliders

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also, why do the Russian-speaking characters call each other by their full names all the time? Is that a thing Russians do?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The stuff he controls in that 73% mostly can't enter the other 27%, which is where almost everyone else hangs out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Memento posted:

Well yeah, that's written by Warren Ellis, and he's one of the most creatively sadistic comic writers around.

Speaking of, the very end of Transmetropolitan bugged me. Spider Jerusalem should have been hosed up forever by the i-pollen, burning himself out to take down his opponent is an excellent ending, but then having no real consequences for him makes it kind of hollow.

Part of me feels like that was decreed by editorial just in case they wanted to do something else with the character but maybe that was always intended? Man I should reread that series especially now that we've basically put The Beast in power.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aphrodite posted:

The stuff he controls in that 73% mostly can't enter the other 27%, which is where almost everyone else hangs out.

But it does provide a whole shitload of our food.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His universe has magicians. They don't need him.

Kcuf Namauqa, etinifni sregrub!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Slime posted:

I think that point of reference is for our benefit. "More powerful than the bomb dropped on Neo New York on planet Zebulon 5" wouldn't give the player a frame of reference.

Surely if you say "it's more powerful than the bomb that levelled Neo New York" everyone should have an idea that it's big? I suspect very few people watching any of these shows have a real idea of how big the blast was on Hiroshima.
You could probably do it better anyway with an exchange like "What's the damage at that yield? It will vaporise 10 square miles, killing upwards of 12 million. *military leaders all look at each other in shock as lead science guy looks suitably smug yet horrified*"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jaramin posted:

You sure that's what you want?

Sliders

I never knew David Boreanaz was on that show.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I never knew David Boreanaz was on that show.

Such an unfortunate face.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Tunicate posted:

If a wizard pulls a random new spell out of his rear end to solve a crisis it's really hard to make the audience feel like there are high stakes afterwards (since any crisis now has a 'do bullshit' exit), and explaining a new power mid-fight is hard to follow in movie form anyway.

Fortunately everyone who can do inception poo poo is now dead so they'll have to focus on a different cool sfx for movie 2

I'm not talking about high level instant win spells though. I'm talking about like the two guys are facing off, so one uses a levitation spell to pull a decorative sword from the wall behind him, other guy turns around and sees a sword flying at him so he uses a small teleportation spell to make the sword go through him and come out the other side and hit the first guy who's legs are now stuck to the floor with like a freezing spell. I'd prefer fast paced, minor spell fights that rely on variety and being clever instead of "Hey let's try to hit each other with spark whips!"

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

CubanMissile posted:

I'm not talking about high level instant win spells though. I'm talking about like the two guys are facing off, so one uses a levitation spell to pull a decorative sword from the wall behind him, other guy turns around and sees a sword flying at him so he uses a small teleportation spell to make the sword go through him and come out the other side and hit the first guy who's legs are now stuck to the floor with like a freezing spell. I'd prefer fast paced, minor spell fights that rely on variety and being clever instead of "Hey let's try to hit each other with spark whips!"

They should bring in Brandon Sanderson to consult on fight scenes in the sequel, he can come up with some impressive, clever magic fights.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Most spell fights in the Harry Potter movies were mostly a matter of picking a random jinx (doesn't matter which) and being quicker on the draw and more accurate than the other guy. But I really, really enjoyed that minute and a half of Dumbledore vs. Voldemort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, same. They never did manage to top that fight.