Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

nawledgelambo posted:

I'm Ben's body telling him he is one krispy kreme away from a devastating sepsis binge and impending heart failure

please stop stalking ben online jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

He's well known to be a complete grump. "Anime is trash" - H. Miyazaki

I think it's a Japan thing where when you're old and respectable you're suddenly allowed to be super insulting to people and they have to just take it.

Curmudgeonliness is an age-old tradition among the elderly, I guess.

quote:

Crytek has been having money trouble since like 2014. That's why Crobbler was able to pick up some decent devs for a while, before they peaced out to work for non-insane places.

Star Citizen is probably the only thing that's kept Crytek afloat the last couple years.

Yeah, I mentioned that in a previous post -- MY JULY BLOG :byodame: -- as evidence that the posting on reddit is probably not some sort of weird anonymous campaign to trash Crytek, but is rather a genuine plea for advice to deal with this latest bit of financial fuckery from the company.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

For real now, those things i mentioned in the post before that are real weird. I hope none of you do that.

I mean, if we did, you'd have our names in those threatening PMs. I'm new to SA so I'll ask: At what point does trying to pull poo poo like this become unacceptable?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pilz posted:

I mean, if we did, you'd have our names in those threatening PMs. I'm new to SA so I'll ask: At what point does trying to pull poo poo like this become unacceptable?

An ancient Stimperial proverb goes, He who has the Pain Administrator's balls in a vice need not face more than six hours of the eternator treatment.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Do you feel that this style of, uh, mutual polishing has made you a better designer? I'd expect it would lead people to be more conservative about their projects/proposals, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm saying mutual polishing because I'm assuming some sort of peer review here rather than top down or client contractor unidirectional feedback.

I haven't experienced it that often, but I don't do design, and the occasional screaming fits in my last career were mostly internal clients who didn't understand wage garnishments or employment taxes. It's hard to take that kind of feedback personally! :sun:

It can make you a better designer, and I feel like in my case it did. Sometimes you gently caress up. Sometimes you do it publicly. In my case, it was usually an outside professor who noticed a major oversight and raked me over the coals for it during a presentation.

I think that as long as the criticism is actually valid, like it was in this case, and the person doing the criticism sticks to criticising only the work, then it can still help you. It doesn't help if the guy calls you a motherfucker or insults you, but if you had a bad idea or overlooked a major problem, then you need to be told, and I guarantee that after this happens you will do some self reflection and figure out what happened so that you can never do it again.

I think it can actually work to make you less conservative in a way. Usually that kind of poo poo kicking happens not because you took a risk and failed, but because you overlooked something or were too focused on process or a single idea to the detriment of everything else.

Good designers learn to criticize not only others, but themselves, and they are good at taking criticism. Those guys in the video are heartbroken, but they took it quite well and will learn from this dressing down. Chris Roberts has no one to criticize or edit his ideas, and is incapable of doing it himself, and that's why he's a poo poo designer.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

http://imgur.com/gallery/5S2ZX

One of the comments:

quote:

Which studio? Sofia? At Frankfurt we have "only" 2,5 half months late... #ifeelyabrah

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Booourns posted:

Please stop stalking this thread.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Booourns posted:

Looking at social media for more than 30 seconds causes me cluster headaches from the sheer concentrated narcissism, but even I'm pretty sure the whole point of twitter is following people.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Natron posted:

It can make you a better designer, and I feel like in my case it did. Sometimes you gently caress up. Sometimes you do it publicly. In my case, it was usually an outside professor who noticed a major oversight and raked me over the coals for it during a presentation.

I think that as long as the criticism is actually valid, like it was in this case, and the person doing the criticism sticks to criticising only the work, then it can still help you. It doesn't help if the guy calls you a motherfucker or insults you, but if you had a bad idea or overlooked a major problem, then you need to be told, and I guarantee that after this happens you will do some self reflection and figure out what happened so that you can never do it again.

I think it can actually work to make you less conservative in a way. Usually that kind of poo poo kicking happens not because you took a risk and failed, but because you overlooked something or were too focused on process or a single idea to the detriment of everything else.

Good designers learn to criticize not only others, but themselves, and they are good at taking criticism. Those guys in the video are heartbroken, but they took it quite well and will learn from this dressing down. Chris Roberts has no one to criticize or edit his ideas, and is incapable of doing it himself, and that's why he's a poo poo designer.

Oh yeah, critique is invaluable. I've just rarely experienced that level of intense feedback on creative work face-to-face.

As for Roberts, his creative record shows a sharply limited ability to learn from past mistakes, let alone accept and incorporate feedback, because criticism of his work is a personal attack on him instead of a normal & healthy part of the creative process.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samizdata posted:

He's a hypocritical elitist SC reality bubble moron that can't sleep unless he is touting how awesome he is and how everyone else is stupid. Not quite an E*_Dova, but well on the way.

Speaking of Er_Dova I posted a "keep not getting it" response to one of his posts then like a day later he deleted his account :laugh:

Obviously I don't take credit for it, but the timing was funny.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Take a screenshot and post here, I'd love to see that

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Also lol that the new GBS edgelord thing is to concern troll about doxxing without a hint of self-awareness, I long for another boardnuking

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

nawledgelambo posted:

Take a screenshot and post here, I'd love to see that

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TheLightPurges posted:

So if 2.6 doesn't go to PTU today I think we can officially call it cancelled for Live release before next Friday.
Hardy harhar--CIG never, ever planned a live release before Christmas. I'll bet you the 2.6 patch goes to the PTU--where anyone with a subscription can play. Where I'm sure it will sit for a month or so before the free, live release. Gotta get that $10 out everyone.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilz posted:

I'm new to SA so I'll ask: At what point does trying to pull poo poo like this become unacceptable?

The unofficial custom is, the harder people bite on your dumb trolling the more justified you are to troll them.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

The ATV animation is making my brain hurt. CIG is trolling their backers, right? They had to release that clip just to see the crazy backers say how awesome it would be? Right?

But on the other hand, if CIG is being legit--the mods need to go back and edit everyone's posts. "Wow, is this smooth!" "This is amazing--I'd buy this game!" This crap is just way, way too good to not make a final game. I am starting to get excited for Squadron 42. Please, please CIG--push something out the door. Between the space mop and catapult yoga moves SQ42 is looking better and better than the Wing Commander Movie.

Going to be pretty funny if the SQ42 plot twist is a bunch of future spaceships get sucked into a timewarp and wind up stuck on a carrier during WW2...

ArcaneLayne
Aug 12, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Refund spergs, how long did CIG take to initially respond?

They took about a week to first respond to me. After that initial response, the turn-around time was basically next day, pretty standard retention malarkey. They've only so far refunded $50 of my $95 total thus far though, so I've just now prodded at them again.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

if that isn't indisputable proof of a dying company, I don't know what is.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

gwarlaugh.gifv]

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raskolnikov posted:

gwarlaugh.gifv]

Yeah let's leave the failing company for the one that can't deliver a product and relies entirely on the good will of a slowly angering community.

Man, gently caress the games industry.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh poo poo, I feel what the old man is saying but I also feel sorry for the young guy, he looks heartbroken.

Miyazaki is probably his hero. Sad, because Miyazaki has become a bitter old man, infuriated that the modern Japanese youth don't feel connected to the horrors of WWII or the struggles of times 20 years before they were born.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

lol "just form a union"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Gamasutra: The Game Outcomes Project, Part 4: Crunch Makes Games Worse

quote:

Part 4 in a 5-part series analyzing the results of the Game Outcomes Project survey, which polled hundreds of game developers to determine how teamwork, culture, leadership, production, and project management contribute to game project success or failure.

quote:

Our results clearly demonstrate that crunch doesn't lead to extraordinary results. In fact, on the whole, crunch makes games LESS successful wherever it is used, and when projects try to dig themselves out of a hole by crunching, it only digs the hole deeper.

Perhaps the notion that “extraordinary results require extraordinary effort” is misguided.

Perhaps “effort” – as defined by working extra hours in an attempt to accomplish more – is actually counterproductive.

Our study seems to reveal that what actually generates “extraordinary results” – the factors that actually make great games great – have nothing to do with mere “effort” and everything to do with focus, team cohesion, a compelling direction, psychological safety, risk management, and a large number of other cultural factors that enhance team effectiveness.

And we suggest that abuse of overtime makes that level of focus and team cohesion increasingly more difficult to achieve, eliminating any possible positive effects from overtime.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Did you successfully collect on the unpaid wages plus any statutory interest owed?

Gotta be able to find the guy first. Worst part is, since we ended up having the same last name, I found out he listed me as family on some signature loans he floated without telling me. That was an awkward moment.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh poo poo, I feel what the old man is saying but I also feel sorry for the young guy, he looks heartbroken.

Dude, Hayao "You have to observer real people" Miyazaki is the grumpiest grandpa in the planet and that dude should have known what was coming. That was the equivalent of meeting the pope and trying to get him into Ayn Rand.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
has derek sued the bad men yet?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
I ws just reading a story on The Register about 'Magic Leap', a company that puts out impressive (fake) marketting videos to demostrate their revolutionary technology, but have yet to come up with an actual product:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/magic_leap_neither_magic_nor_leaping/

At the end of the story is a list of ways to spot a tech company that's full of poo poo:

For some reason, Star Citizen immediately came to mind...

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

The unofficial custom is, the harder people bite on your dumb trolling the more justified you are to troll them.

Seems fair.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

has derek sued the bad men yet?

In two weeks the pre-pre-legal talks are starting. It's shaping up to be a real litigious adventure, with at least three main sessions presided over by a judge followed up by the persistent class action lawsuit. I am mostly interested in the lawsuit because it means I can form meaningful bonds with ex backers and help influence the outcome of a legal matter in a very real way.

I hope this helps.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ponzi posted:

I ws just reading a story on The Register about 'Magic Leap', a company that puts out impressive (fake) marketting videos to demostrate their revolutionary technology, but have yet to come up with an actual product:

At the end of the story is a list of ways to spot a tech company that's full of poo poo:

it's uncanny

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if its glitches you want rest assured there'll be plenty to explore and discover in star citizen

edit god drat wrong imgur link

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CIG: we're in permanent crunch, with no end in sight!

CIG: We've got so many bugs well never be able to release a product! What's going wrong?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Also they updated their schedule report

PTU window is now set to somewhere between today and next Wednesday. Live release is still scheduled for next Friday.

You can't patch something a week before Christmas. That's when you have the fewest available employees. And you don't get back up to full speed till mid way through January. That release date is so unrealistic I can only assume since it is CIG it is accurate.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Ponzi posted:

holy poo poo, every single one of them

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

kilus aof posted:

You can't patch something a week before Christmas. That's when you have the fewest available employees. And you don't get back up to full speed till mid way through January. That release date is so unrealistic I can only assume since it is CIG it is accurate.

Especially since 2/3 or more of their workforce is in Europe, where they take vacation time seriously.

Like, F1 racing shuts down for a month in the middle of the summer to give everyone a vacation.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mikojan posted:

They missed out "CEO having massive public meltdown when called out on his bullshit"

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

They missed out "CEO having massive public meltdown when called out on his bullshit"

And "CEO has a history of failure or shortcomings with similar projects."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mikojan posted:

It's very on the nose

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

Especially since 2/3 or more of their workforce is in Europe, where they take vacation time seriously.

Like, F1 racing shuts down for a month in the middle of the summer to give everyone a vacation.

Unirocinally: two weeks.

E: but it's totally correct. Those crazy F1 teams even usually decided to time those mandatory two weeks in a way that their staff has the best possible way of relaxing and recharging the batteries instead of putting them through the grinder even more.

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Klyith posted:

He's well known to be a complete grump. "Anime is trash" - H. Miyazaki
While that's not the real quote I'm not sure I understand how being right makes you a grump??