Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

why the gently caress do they ever split up the prime time players? and why the gently caress do they always make it worse by having them feud eachother when nobody wants to see that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vince loves to break up tag teams and have the bigger guy go over. The problem is that he never really knows what to do with the after that. It doesn't help that the bigger guy is usually the less talented one who can't hide his weaknesses on their own.

Remember when Cryme Tyme broke up? Shad went over in the feud, and then was fired almost immediately while JTG managed to stay employed for years without being on TV. Or how about when Brodus Clay turned on Albert? Brodus beat him up while yelling about how he was a main event player. He then when on to wrestle on Superstars for a while before quietly being let go.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I blame Shawn Michaels' success for every tag team that gets broken up.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

why the gently caress do they ever split up the prime time players? and why the gently caress do they always make it worse by having them feud eachother when nobody wants to see that poo poo

To be fair, the reformed PTP was a dull shadow of its former self that the crowd barely reacted to and had less than a third their original fire, personality and fun.

On the other hand, the reason for all that was the original dumb breakup that made the crowd not want to see either guy ever again. That and booking and writing being 50 times worse than when PTP were originally awesome.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I usually hate rovert chat but rovert is love and love is rovert.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

pretty much

The WWE historically doesn't believe in the ability of tag teams to draw fans and money, and it shows in New Day and the Shield talking about how many times they had to dodge or stonewall attempts to break them up despite everyone being rabid for them

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Just never forget that Primetime Players was one of the all-time great tag teams

What

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Shima Honnou posted:

I blame Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart's success for every tag team that gets broken up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CarlCX posted:

pretty much

The WWE historically doesn't believe in the ability of tag teams to draw fans and money, and it shows in New Day and the Shield talking about how many times they had to dodge or stonewall attempts to break them up despite everyone being rabid for them

Plus, why pay two people the same if you can get one of them over at the expense of the other?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Daniel Bryan and The Bellas are cool.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Ziggler was good for about a week after cashing in MITB

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DoctorGonzo posted:

Daniel Bryan and The Bellas are cool.

Something we can all agree on

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sanguinia posted:

Just never forget that Primetime Players was one of the all-time great tag teams

Lmao what

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Vince loves to break up tag teams and have the bigger guy go over. The problem is that he never really knows what to do with the after that. It doesn't help that the bigger guy is usually the less talented one who can't hide his weaknesses on their own.

Step one: set up small guy big guy team for hot-tag spots.

Step two: small guy gets all the ring experience and big guy always gets the pin.

Step three: break up tag team

Step four: why doesn't this guy have any ring experience god drat it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

IIRC there was something about wanting to give Titus a big singles push because he was friends with Batista and they wanted to appease him at the time

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Then he dared to grab the arm of an old rich crazy white man

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

reignofevil posted:

Step one: set up small guy big guy team for hot-tag spots.

Step two: small guy gets all the ring experience and big guy always gets the pin.

Step three: break up tag team

Step four: why doesn't this guy have any ring experience god drat it.

The Roman Reigns experience

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rovert posted:

Counselled and befriended younger gay fans. Other fans too. Tom is genuinely one of the nicest guys in Pro Wrestling.
:(

rovert posted:

Opening myself to trolling and accusations here maybe. But a few of Tom's fan friends messaged me with thanks as they don't want to stir up poo poo for Tom personally or be seen speaking for him. I always post truthfully however a lot is out of "trolling", mischief etc at times but I do believe I am on the right track on this one.

I know many of us take the piss here and there but I think most of PSP appreciates your scoops. We are one big wrasslin family so there is ribbing a plenty. Thank you for the sad but unsurprising news. Most companies are going to reflect the shifting political climate of the world around them. Also thank you for helping us see the reality of Sasha Banks.

Furthermore: I love mischief so keep that up.

Benne posted:

Darren Young was always doomed because, as much as I support him in coming out and being a proud gay man in a notoriously bigoted industry, he's kind of a lovely wrestler and has the personality of a doorknob.

They gave him Bob Backlund as a mouthpiece and he couldn't do anything with that, and you can't just fire him because it'd make bad PR, so I don't know what you do with him now. :shrug:

A modern angle for a new America:
"Make Darren Young STRAIGHT again!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Benne posted:

Darren Young was always doomed because, as much as I support him in coming out and being a proud gay man in a notoriously bigoted industry, he's kind of a lovely wrestler and has the personality of a doorknob.

They gave him Bob Backlund as a mouthpiece and he couldn't do anything with that, and you can't just fire him because it'd make bad PR, so I don't know what you do with him now. :shrug:

Is WWE really that anti-gay?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't see how. Pro wrestling is pretty much the gayest thing there is

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

They did yell at him for not wanting to go to their tour of Abu Dhabi, including Saudi Arabia, a country where he could be legally executed for being gay

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

They did yell at him for not wanting to go to their tour of Abu Dhabi, including Saudi Arabia, a country where he could be legally executed for being gay

that's more of a sign of not being progressive enough than flat out anti-gay

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Who better than Kanyon to answer this obvious question

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Sanguinia posted:

To be fair, the reformed PTP was a dull shadow of its former self that the crowd barely reacted to and had less than a third their original fire, personality and fun.

On the other hand, the reason for all that was the original dumb breakup that made the crowd not want to see either guy ever again. That and booking and writing being 50 times worse than when PTP were originally awesome.

At least we'll always have

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

PTPs number 1 feud was with Tons of Funk

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Von_Doom posted:

A modern angle for a new America:
"Make Darren Young STRAIGHT again!"

Mike Pence as special guest referee for an Electroshock Therapy On A Pole match

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Darren Young's biggest problem is that he's a loving terrible talker. If he was even average they would have done at least something with him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

that's more of a sign of not being progressive enough than flat out anti-gay

They are a company that can be incredibly homophobic at times and very progressive at others. Pat Patterson was one of the most trusted guys in the company for years and years despite being out. Vince even stood by him at times it could cause tremendous harm to the company. They've also had gimmicks like Goldust that were unbelievably homophobic. You also have Kanyon's accusations. I used to think Vince didn't care one way or another and was just out to make money, but my mind is changing. Seems pretty clear Patterson was a special case.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Pretty excited for Big Match John to show off his comedy chops on SNL tonight

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I posted in the wrong thread again I love big dog bow wow

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 10, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I usually hate rovert chat but rovert is love and love is rovert.

lovert

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Darren wasn't allowed on that tour. I don't think the divas were, either. Darren tweeted about his annoyance with WWE for touring at a place that lovely and backwards, and was punished for it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/tommiecas/status/807696596083281921 https://twitter.com/tommiecas/status/807701877349646337

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Benne posted:

Reminds me of that time when Flair let Miz inherit the Figure Four, but it turns out he was really lovely at doing the move and his babyface run in general was a huge flop, so they quietly dropped that angle.

He got better at it, thank God.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A contest in which whomever emotes first, loses?

You've got this in the bag, Roman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tFID4TQwU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gonz posted:

what happened to sheamus' head

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Gonz posted:

Once again, it's obvious who the GOAT is

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I got Chris Jericho's autograph for a coworker I've been temporary replacing while she's getting chemo treatments.

Took 2 hours because Jericho came in late, then just as I was going to get his autograph he pretended to take a call and left through the back entrance to take an hour lunch while the convention people tried to find where the gently caress he went. But I got it and don't begrudge him too much since I try to find ways to avoid doing work all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn58zvm-D0U

The 46th President of the United States Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

• Locked thread