Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Bodegacats_/status/807416311634595841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Man the new Pokémon game looks great

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ahhh! Tribble attack!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

I've been trying to figure out this fancy walk:
https://twitter.com/CGdrawing/status/804312499864539136

Tape stuck to the side you can't see.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ride_of_the_valkyries.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/lAIzHE7.mp4

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

So that's how they get that floor so shiny.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Swoofer.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Reporting live from the annual Christmas candy making party. There is a doggo here and it's the cutest, softest and nicest dog there is.

I really miss my dog.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dienes posted:

I've worked with pigeons in a behavior lab. They have ridiculously good vision and are fast learners. They may not talk like parrots but there's fun stuff you can teach them, like ping pong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGazyH6fQQ4

Pigeons (Columba livia) as Trainable Observers of Pathology and Radiology Breast Cancer Images
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141357

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

"...cousin?"

http://i.imgur.com/NukrX19.gifv

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Every year Finnish Kennel Club gives a Hero Dog title for dogs who have saved a human life. Considering that this year there was 18 life-saving doggies in Finland alone, you can just imagine how many lives dogs save world wide.

Good dogs:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait, axolotl actually look like that? I thought that was just like a pokemon thing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Let's all appreciate axolotls

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They are popular aquarium pets and used in research and stuff.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
http://i.imgur.com/cFSYNTn.gifv

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:parrot:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Axolotls are loving astounding from a scientific point of view. The weirdest thing about them is that they are the closest thing to irl Pokemon with regards to their metamorphosis. They are a neotenic amphibian meaning that they don't normally undergo metamorphosis in the wild. Sexually mature individuals don't ever fully transform into obligate air breathers. They maintain their external gills throughout their normal lifespans.

But here's the crazy part: you can induce metamorphosis of an axolotl into a relatively normal adult salamander by exposing it to a highly iodine rich environment. Even more incredible, normally axolotls can regenerate most body parts and organs (including brain) when they are in their iodine deprived state. But when you "evolve" them by introducing iodine, they lose this ability. Thus their regeneration ability has something to do with their psuedojuvenile state.

Axolotls loving rule.

E: here's what a post metamorphosis axolotl looks like

Also I just noticed there's actually an axolotl Pokemon and it's evolution is perfect:

Rexicon1 has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Dec 11, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:wooper::wooper::wooper::wooper:

I didn't know that their regeneration went away if they got shoved into the "adult" state, neat!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

But here's the crazy part: you can induce metamorphosis of an axolotl into a relatively normal adult salamander by exposing it to a highly iodine rich environment. Even more incredible, normally axolotls can regenerate most body parts and organs (including brain) when they are in their iodine deprived state. But when you "evolve" them by introducing iodine, they lose this ability. Thus their regeneration ability has something to do with their psuedojuvenile state.

:wooper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxA0QVGVEJw

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/f5wDVf9.gifv

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rexicon1 posted:

Axolotls are loving astounding from a scientific point of view. The weirdest thing about them is that they are the closest thing to irl Pokemon with regards to their metamorphosis. They are a neotenic amphibian meaning that they don't normally undergo metamorphosis in the wild. Sexually mature individuals don't ever fully transform into obligate air breathers. They maintain their external gills throughout their normal lifespans.

Axolotls loving rule.

E: here's what a post metamorphosis axolotl looks like

Also I just noticed there's actually an axolotl Pokemon and it's evolution is perfect:

Of course it's worth mentioning that a Axolotl that goes through that change also has a vastly reduced lifespan compared to normal ones(at least from what I remember from last time I looked it up), so you should avoid doing it to yours unless you are doing valid research of that nature

Also worth mentioning while we're talking about Axolotls are the other two major types of Salamander that express neoteny; the Olm, and the Mudpuppies

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

drrockso20 posted:

Of course it's worth mentioning that a Axolotl that goes through that change also has a vastly reduced lifespan compared to normal ones(at least from what I remember from last time I looked it up), so you should avoid doing it to yours unless you are doing valid research of that nature

Also worth mentioning while we're talking about Axolotls are the other two major types of Salamander that express neoteny; the Olm, and the Mudpuppies

Yea one of the things the neotenic-regenerative state provides the axolotl is that it prevents senescence to a degree, Axolotls that are forced into post-neotenic states often suffer from symptoms similar to hyperthyroidism in other animals and they quickly develop circulatory, salt-balance and neurodegenerative states.

Please don't harmm ur pet weirdo.

As far as other neotenic amphibians are concerned, I'm not sure olms or mudpuppies have the kind of forced neoteny that axolotls have, and I don't think they share the same degree of regeneration that they have.

Axolotls are special friends.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

That dog loving LOVES cocaine.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Somebody has Bloom set way too high.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

sweet dreams.

http://i.imgur.com/azyPncm.gifv

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

God help you if you need to get up for a piss in the middle of the night :stare:.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/808174316353298433

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm (probably) saying goodbye to my elderly cat today, so please keep bringing the cute of all kinds, specifically happy cats. My old girl has brought me joy for the better part of 2 decades, and up until last week she was a very happy cat herself.

Thanks in advance. :3:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Pigeons are actually quite lovely and sociable birbs and if you spend any time watching them you might notice that a lot of them have really cool patterns in their feathers. Also in Boston and probably other cities too they will land on you if you have food and eat right out of your hands.

They're also much cleaner than people think. And really soft. :kimchi:
Counterpoint: the goddamn pigeons at my office building.

Our building is 14 stories high and starting on the 3rd floor up, we have these nice balconies. That nobody uses. Because they are filled with pigeons/pigeon poo poo. Every few months we go through the same ritual: balconies are crusted several inches deep in the corners with pigeon poo poo. Building maintenance comes in and pressure washes the poo poo out, then apply "bird repellent" which is basically glue. That the pigeons then stand in. So they end up with disgusting booties of feathers and poop, but continue standing in it anyway. Rinse and repeat. I have worked there for 11 years now, and while the repellent is a recent thing poo poo-crusted balconies are not. There are plastic patio chairs out there that have been turned upside-down so the pigeons don't drop 6" of poo poo in the seats. They're basically pigeon jungle gyms. Now I don't know why they don't just put up some loving netting or something to keep them out in the first place, but here we are.

Also we're repeatedly exposed to the miracle of the pigeon circle of life. For not only do the pigeons poo poo out there, they nest out there too. In the poo poo. This past year I documented the idiocy of a particular pair who made our 11th floor balcony their home. Soft breezes of spring blow, and the balcony has been sublet. Our pair - we'll call them Bertie and Bob - decide it's time to raise a family. So Bertie lays a solitary egg on the floor in the corner. Right in a gigantic mound of poo poo. Bob tries to be responsible and build a nest. So he brings back nesting materials. Which consists of a single 3.5" stick. That's it, that's the whole nest. Bertie sits on her stick n' egg and the poo poo too. Sometimes. Mostly it just sits there with the stick. I decide I can't watch this anymore, and fetch a lid from a box of envelopes. I take material from the shredder and put it in the lid, then place the egg and the stick inside. Bertie and Bob are confounded and stare at their most-likely-dead egg (since Bertie probably spent a grand total of 2 hours over 2 days sitting on it) in something that actually approximates a nest. The egg is not viable.

Well, it was a tragedy but one they quickly recovered from. Bertie lays another egg in the box next to the first, so they at least figured out what it was for and hopefully the new egg would stand a better chance at surviving. Alas no, Bertie and Bob also ignore the new egg so it also perishes. A couple of days after that Bertie lays a third egg in another corner of the balcony. In a puddle of bird repellent aka glue. Sitting in glue is uncomfortable so attempt #3 also dies. The next week Bertie lays a fourth egg next to the box containing two of her three dead children. And promptly ignores it. You could now make a fairly decent-sized omelette with all these eggs.

Later that same week Bob steps up his game and makes a real nest this time, Bertie lays a pair of eggs and they manage to hatch them and raise them to adulthood. This is in a completely protected area, devoid of predators. How pigeons manage to survive is a goddamn mystery to me.

They have also on at least 2 occasions flown into the patio door when nobody was around. We know this because the person who sits right next to the patio door has never seen them fly into it, and yet there were 2 very clear bird-dust silhouettes (like literal bird prints right down to individual feathers) splashed on the glass. I have pictures of all these things, but I am at work and can't post them.

If :downs: is a bird, thy name is pigeon.

SubponticatePoster has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Dec 12, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SubponticatePoster posted:

Counterpoint: the goddamn pigeons at my office building.

Our building is 14 stories high and starting on the 3rd floor up, we have these nice balconies. That nobody uses. Because they are filled with pigeons/pigeon poo poo. Every few months we go through the same ritual: balconies are crusted several inches deep in the corners with pigeon poo poo. Building maintenance comes in and pressure washes the poo poo out, then apply "bird repellent" which is basically glue. That the pigeons then stand in. So they end up with disgusting booties of feathers and poop, but continue standing in it anyway. Rinse and repeat. I have worked there for 11 years now, and while the repellent is a recent thing poo poo-crusted balconies are not. There are plastic patio chairs out there that have been turned upside-down so the pigeons don't drop 6" of poo poo in the seats. They're basically pigeon jungle gyms. Now I don't know why they don't just put up some loving netting or something to keep them out in the first place, but here we are.

Also we're repeatedly exposed to the miracle of the pigeon circle of life. For not only do the pigeons poo poo out there, they nest out there too. In the poo poo. This past year I documented the idiocy of a particular pair who made our 11th floor balcony their home. Soft breezes of spring blow, and the balcony has been sublet. Our pair - we'll call them Bertie and Bob - decide it's time to raise a family. So Bertie lays a solitary egg on the floor in the corner. Right in a gigantic mound of poo poo. Bob tries to be responsible and build a nest. So he brings back nesting materials. Which consists of a single 3.5" stick. That's it, that's the whole nest. Bertie sits on her stick n' egg and the poo poo too. Sometimes. Mostly it just sits there with the stick. I decide I can't watch this anymore, and fetch a lid from a box of envelopes. I take material from the shredder and put it in the lid, then place the egg and the stick inside. Bertie and Bob are confounded and stare at their most-likely-dead egg (since Bertie probably spent a grand total of 2 hours over 2 days sitting on it) in something that actually approximates a nest. The egg is not viable.

Well, it was a tragedy but one they quickly recovered from. Bertie lays another egg in the box next to the first, so they at least figured out what it was for and hopefully the new egg would stand a better chance at surviving. Alas no, Bertie and Bob also ignore the new egg so it also perishes. A couple of days after that Bertie lays a third egg in another corner of the balcony. In a puddle of bird repellent aka glue. Sitting in glue is uncomfortable so attempt #3 also dies. The next week Bertie lays a fourth egg next to the box containing two of her three dead children. And promptly ignores it. You could now make a fairly decent-sized omelette with all these eggs.

Later that same week Bob steps up his game and makes a real nest this time, Bertie lays a pair of eggs and they manage to hatch them and raise them to adulthood. This is in a completely protected area, devoid of predators. How pigeons manage to survive is a goddamn mystery to me.

They have also on at least 2 occasions flown into the patio door when nobody was around. We know this because the person who sits right next to the patio door has never seen them fly into it, and yet there were 2 very clear bird-dust silhouettes (like literal bird prints right down to individual feathers) splashed on the glass. I have pictures of all these things, but I am at work and can't post them.

If :downs: is a bird, thy name is pigeon.

Thanks for posting this story in the cute thread.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Boo! I hope I didn't give you too big of a spook!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm (probably) saying goodbye to my elderly cat today, so please keep bringing the cute of all kinds, specifically happy cats. My old girl has brought me joy for the better part of 2 decades, and up until last week she was a very happy cat herself.

Thanks in advance. :3:
https://i.imgur.com/H3whRGI.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/356KCZJ.gifv

Sininu has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Dec 13, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Thanks for posting this story in the cute thread.
It was cute watching them, albeit tinged with a bit of tragedy. I'm not sure if Bob and Bertie return to the same balcony every year or if we'll get a new set of parents come spring. There are pigeons out there year 'round, happily lazing about in their own dung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless