Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

lol

"you clearly aren't talking about CIG"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Why is that every time actual points quoted from articles and referenced to Star Citizen, it instantly becomes "bait."

Is this how these people write off counter-points that contradict their religion that is star citizen?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/807603550889066496

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/9yZCQDy.gifv

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:vince:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Pgabz is going to love that one.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Just a reminder, it's absolutely not normal to spend all day every single day for months on end following people on twitter and reddit, compiling all their personal information to make injokes and callbacks. It is also morally hosed up to doxx or send death threats to people, especially if their heinous crime was liking a videogame. Thank you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I agree

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

i wish your little diamond was a gold star like the one on your dressy holiday av :sigh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Skellybones posted:

An ancient Stimperial proverb goes, He who has the Pain Administrator's balls in a vice need not face more than six hours of the eternator treatment.

Praise be to the Stimperor!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i wish your little diamond was a gold star like the one on your dressy holiday av :sigh:

I like the diamond since it was given to me by an admin (favouritism).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh yeah, critique is invaluable. I've just rarely experienced that level of intense feedback on creative work face-to-face.

As for Roberts, his creative record shows a sharply limited ability to learn from past mistakes, let alone accept and incorporate feedback, because criticism of his work is a personal attack on him instead of a normal & healthy part of the creative process.

I've never been criticized to that level either. I could literally feel their pain as their work was basically called the devil, and then asked what they want to do about it. I would probably be equally shocked. Afterwards they probably deleted everything with tears and crying and a few things thrown around the room.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

oh my god

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ponzi posted:

I ws just reading a story on The Register about 'Magic Leap', a company that puts out impressive (fake) marketting videos to demostrate their revolutionary technology, but have yet to come up with an actual product:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/magic_leap_neither_magic_nor_leaping/

At the end of the story is a list of ways to spot a tech company that's full of poo poo:

For some reason, Star Citizen immediately came to mind...

That's literally CIG. I guess this article is just a disguised FUD campaign paid for by big publishers to round-about make CIG look like a scam company. They are really trying hard to stop CIG now!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

And "CEO has a history of failure or shortcomings with similar projects."

There's a fine print to it though: UNLESS they lie about everything. Then you can trust them 100% and give all your money because it's a sure bet. This is the CIG Clause. Like Santa Clause, only more unbelievable.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

He actually believes this. I've read quite a few interviews where he is (rightfully) upset at the industry, byproducts of otaku culture and all the other... Inaccessible, products created for an over leveraged out of touch community with very specific, tastes.

One of his driving motives is to tell stories that elevate people. His response is not just being an old man. It was directly speaking against that ultra specific niche application of an idea that was grotesque and something that ran against people who are often seen as less than because of their disabilities.

I'm pretty sure he wanted to stick up for people that don't have a typical range of movement, control, etc. The presenter's joy was misplaced. His initial question really cut to the heart of it, but what is it for?

2am care rant ^ nice meltdown

Good rant. :)

I'm not sure what the context of the event was or why that particular item was presented, but it was upsetting and dehumanizing people. It's good that we have people in high areas still who can think about all types of people, and remind his staff that at the core, people are important and we should not make any single subset feel less than any other, especially people with disabilities. They're already targets, so don't make it worse.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So good <3

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I don't know why the old man made the nerds cry, but that AI needs to go into a spore type game asap. Like there is a cool and relevant reason to research that stuff for gaming. If he is saying it's a waste for a zombie game, then yeah, that's a stupid application for that research, if he is saying the research is stupid then it's the old man that's stupid. He's right about anime though.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
So while Roberts and co. struggle to break 24 players per instance, tonight decade old Eve Online hosts 5600+ people* in the same system at one server 'tick' per 10 seconds...

*5600 'people' might be going a bit far, knowing Eve it's probably 56 people multiboxing 100 clients each :P

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Wrecked Angle posted:

So while Roberts and co. struggle to break 24 players per instance, tonight decade old Eve Online hosts 5600+ people* in the same system at one server 'tick' per 10 seconds...

*5600 'people' might be going a bit far, knowing Eve it's probably 56 people multiboxing 100 clients each :P

What is a server 'tick'? Does that mean 1 frame per 10 seconds?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:laffo: I lost it when pgabz went flying at the end

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quavers posted:

It's one round of calculations in the world simulation. It takes 10 seconds for the server to collect, process, and respond to the actions of players, whereas it normally does that process in 1 second. In most cases, this would equate to horrible lag, but in EVE, they've turned it into an anti-lag measure of sorts by actually slowing time down on both the client and the server end.

Everything moves at 10% normal speed, so the server can keep up without (some) of the usual breakage that would be created by that kind of latency.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Quavers posted:

Sort of. It's how often the game calculates what is going on in the game world. Normally Eve runs at 1 'tick' per second, so every second the server decides who is alive, who is dead, who got damaged etc.

For big fights they then have a system of 'time dilation' which is basically slow motion for the game world to prevent the servers being overwhelmed. This can go down to 10% of real time in fights where the numbers are in the thousands.

All through this your control and framerate is relatively unaffected so you can still look around freely and issue commands as normal, it's just any commands will be queued up and may not actually be issued until the next tick in (up to) 10 seconds time.

It's not a bad solution to an otherwise impossible situation. Fights in 'ti-di' aren't exactly great fun but then it is Eve and the whole system works quite well from an overall viewpoint.

e. I think between the 2 responses you get a rough idea

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

This thread has some talent let me tell you

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Cat-a-pults in space!!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Goddamn how did I miss the gun with 'parking sensor' written on the side. That's the dumbest, laziest thing in ages. :allears:

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5hgfq2/cig_youre_awesome/db18m1x/

:yikes:

Star Citizen - it's more along the line of self-genocide of a section of society which no longer cares about "real" life

Koil fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 11, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Time to reintroduce the suicide hotline links in the OP.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

If I'm going to commit suicide I'll burn my wallet first, thank you very much. :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone should remake that suicide noose anime girl gateway pic but with a tism chariot on the other end instead.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Someone should remake that suicide noose anime girl gateway pic but with a tism chariot on the other end instead.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star Citizen: A Well Adjusted Community

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Koil posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5hgfq2/cig_youre_awesome/db18m1x/

Star Citizen - it's more along the line of self-genocide of a section of society which no longer cares about "real" life

I read an article in seed way back. It was a scientist basically saying we will never meet aliens because long before you have the technology to travel vast distances you have the technology to make virtual worlds. Once that's accurate enough probes would be the most a species would probably send because they could live the experience virtually far cheaper.

He also speculated it would ruin many societies long before they used it for real discovery because if you can make your reality anything you want, who cares about our current imperfect one?

Dude was loving right lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm gonna just slowly back away from the weirdo reddit death-by-spacesim man...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

You touched the poop.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Beetgirl Kayak Doloria edit: I know I shouldn't doxx mods but I couldn't help myself. Also I miss MoMA and Marching Powder. :(

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

You touched the poop.

This particular case is too poopy for even me to :shrek: in, I'm afraid.

Raskolnikov posted:

Beetgirl Kayak Doloria edit: I know I shouldn't doxx mods but I couldn't help myself. Also I miss MoMA and Marching Powder. :(

Why must the Star Citizen thread doxx everyone it sees :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

As soon as CIG releases 2.6 (so, December 31th) MoMA will be back, more powerful than ever, to own Derek until Pgabz makes a video mocking 2.6.

Lazrin and MP are too butthurt to come back until at least 3.0 so it'll take a while.