Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

maybe arfjason was right on some things, but not about his anti-semitism and racist hatred of jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Fat Shat Sings posted:

maybe arfjason was right on some things, but not about his anti-semitism and racist hatred of jews.

He should just call his parents more often.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tain(t)

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

It's great because the :reddit: thread with this is massively upvoted and full of shitizens laughing at it.

'Haha, look at our $140m lovely tech demo which is peppered with game-breaking bugs... hahaha alpha is soo funny isn't it guys? This is amazing. Hahaha I've spent $6000 on this game and when you change a weapon on the ship it sends it flying off into space. haha ha....ha *tears*'

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

How much for the new Sanitary Variant?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

How much for the new Sanitary Variant?

I bet it's a bloody fortune :v:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Ugh I hate the fact that every time I open a book, no matter what's on the cover, inside it's Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wrecked Angle posted:

It's great because the :reddit: thread with this is massively upvoted and full of shitizens laughing at it.

'Haha, look at our $140m lovely tech demo which is peppered with game-breaking bugs... hahaha alpha is soo funny isn't it guys? This is amazing. Hahaha I've spent $6000 on this game and when you change a weapon on the ship it sends it flying off into space. haha ha....ha *tears*'

140m is only the equivalent of 600m evil publisher dollars which is still not enough to make a game obv.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not reading any of those terrible things.
I did read and collect the Animorphs books as a kid... Got up to 40 something before I found out about the stupid, stupid ending and ditched it all. :negative: I could've been reading other poo poo instead.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Can we please spend another 400 pages posting and deconstructing more terrible sperg fiction? gently caress this guy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DapperDon posted:

All kidding aside, that was one of the best Twilight Zone's of all time.

True, but

XK posted:

A man is being executed by hanging from a bridge. When he is dropped, the rope breaks, he plunges into the raging currents below. He rides the river for several miles to escape. He finally crawls on shore, and he's in luck, there's his Aquilla Constellation. He hops aboard to begin an endless series of amazing adventures, and begin his path of becoming a space hero.

The Constellation starts spinning wildly, clips through the ground, and the man finds himself in a black void.

He feels the rope jerk violently upon his neck.

...this was the best Twilight Zone

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheAgent posted:

also my fav from the new moving goalpost thing

star marine is basically the cryengine multiplayer testbed with new skins

I love you roberts

fyi they are still scared of just how much this is going to cost them in infrastructure lol

Its an interesting situation. Spend on infrastructure, go full subscription+microT and renege on your "no subscription, no P2W" promise, losing you precious whale oil or deliver a FPS and dogfighting game where your average ping is above 400ms.

Decision, decision...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheAgent posted:

also my fav from the new moving goalpost thing

star marine is basically the cryengine multiplayer testbed with new skins

I love you roberts

fyi they are still scared of just how much this is going to cost them in infrastructure lol

Wait... I'm a network engineer, and that's not what we do. We do things like passing a trunk through a bridged interface then back to the same switch to see CDP poo poo itself, and wouldn't have anything to do with systems-stuff.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

...of Star Citizen? That'd be worth no more than a short cautionary story, if at all. Most likely a metaphorical one too, so as I don't feel too dirty. TBH I don't know why more self-described writers don't like writing short stories more. Every wannabe nerd just aspiring to bloviate their autism like GRRM or Tolkien I guess.
for sale: space suit, never used

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

True, but

poo poo, there really is a radio episode adapted from an occurrence at owl creek bridge

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Crytek employees say they’re not being paid, again

quote:

In 2014, Crytek tottered at the edge of insolvency, requiring a dramatic reorganization, the sale of assets and studios, and the delay of paychecks to workers. Cevat Yerli, the Crytek CEO, acknowledged that the company missed making its payroll; Crytek had done so to keep itself out of bankruptcy, he said.

Yet Crytek still lopped off about 200 jobs from its workforce of 700 and unloaded both Homefront: The Revolution and the U.K. studio making it to Deep Silver. The studio renamed itself Dambuster Studios, an oblique reference to British air strikes on Germany during World War II.

The current complaints come from Crytek's main studio in Frankfurt. "Salaries not arriving on time since last 6 months with no heads-up from the management nor the owners," reads one at Glassdoor, a portal for people seeking work and employers looking to hire. "Every time is the 'last time.' No apologies or explanations were offered."

Last time this happened CIG picked up a lot of staff.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

AP posted:

you're behind :smuggo:

e. haha oh poo poo the article uses the term "irregularities"

do you think the writer knows that means fraud in this context?

double e. too bad none of the sources this guy cited are different from what goons found, hot drat. would've liked an actual interview or something.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 11, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

you're behind :smuggo:

No I read the thread, I just think it's worth discussing more rather, than responding to the guy that loves his Aryan parents or the other fyad guy that seems really mad at us for some reason.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

AP posted:

No I read the thread, I just think it's worth discussingmore rather than responding to the guy that hates jews and loves his parents or the other fyad guy that seems really mad at us for some reason.

this is fair, poorly treated employees merit way more discussion than fyad

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wait wait wait

Beer got emails from sandi that he posted on imgur, knew about the special snowflake customer id types, but only at the end of 2016 after they banned him for life years ago did he ask for a refund?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Holy poo poo space game fever

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AP posted:

Yeah, because making money of the misfortune of others is in the CIG/RSI mission statement, right?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Foo Diddley posted:

True, but

Stop at WilloughbyStar Citizen?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

yeah chris basically did :eyepop: when he was told the costs

They're already leasing tons of infrastructure from Amazon, what with their poo poo patcher and the already existing online component of their poo poo universe.

Are you telling me that Star Marine is going to blow up those costs that much more?

It's not like anyone is going to be playing babby's first FPS CryEngine SDK demonstartion after a month.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quoting this for later

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Madcosby posted:

Wait wait wait

Beer got emails from sandi that he posted on imgur, knew about the special snowflake customer id types, but only at the end of 2016 after they banned him for life years ago did he ask for a refund?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Holy poo poo space game fever
I believe most of his money has been out of the game for a long time.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Are you telling me that Star Marine is going to blow up those costs that much more?
yeah, it is

lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't understand how a CryEngine SDK FPS will have a dramatic impact on their hosting costs beyond what they are already paying for patch distribution and their current online garbage. Please explain.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I don't understand how a CryEngine SDK FPS will have a dramatic impact on their hosting costs beyond what they are already paying for patch distribution and their current online garbage. Please explain.
bandwidth is cheap

dedicated cpus ain't so cheap, which is why the pu framerate tanks when you get more than 6 people online in a server instance because crobbs don't wanna pay for the good stuffs

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean they can release it with bare minimums (which I think they'll do) but that means a wonderful fps with like 12 frames a second or horrible 800ms pings

XK
Jul 9, 2001

So, they're already skimping on CPU time. I can easily accept that.

Does babby's first FPS take that much more CPU time than the universe they've already put out? I guess lack of CPU time would be much more noticeable in a fast paced FPS than the awful space ship combat they currently have. I'm just surprised the cost difference would be that big.

I'm going to continue to completely ignore the fact that hosting a fast paced FPS on cloud server infrastructure is just embarrassing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/807819064164937728
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/807821359288033280
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/807824138618466304

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 11, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

I'm going to continue to completely ignore the fact that hosting a fast paced FPS on cloud server infrastructure is just embarrassing.

Titanfall 2 would like a word with you

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

I believe most of his money has been out of the game for a long time.

Yeah, but now he cannot enter a reddit discussion that is making GBS threads on him with "I'm still a backer..."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/807981797875269633

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Daztek posted:

Titanfall 2 would like a word with you

They did cloud based fast action FPS well? Good on them. Is it a game oriented cloud service, or are they using a general service like AWS.

It's always been my experience that cloud stuff will have more lag than dedicated infrastructure. It doesn't absolutely need to be that way, but it commonly does seem to be that cloud emphasizes storage and bandwidth over ping times. I know cloud stuff has been getting better and better all the time, but I'd still be surprised if a general purpose cloud service approaches the performance of dedicated servers.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm the guy that will go out of my way to make fun of a Derek Smart game in the year of our lord 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm the guy that will go out of my way to make fun of a Derek Smart game in the year of our lord 2016

Seriously, dude, we need to have a talk...

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Guy just needs a hobby and it's not like he can play star citizen.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheAgent posted:

bandwidth is cheap

dedicated cpus ain't so cheap, which is why the pu framerate tanks when you get more than 6 people online in a server instance because crobbs don't wanna pay for the good stuffs

Would you think possible that due to poor planing they are caught in a kind of "engineering ponzi scheme" where new sales of ships are actually paying for infrastructure and maintenance instead of progress on the game and that the only way out is to "sell more ships that wont exist for a long time" so they can hope to finish the game someday ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Whoa. This guy needs actual help. :(

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 11, 2016