Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

a better joke would be mt lady

tall might

joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if they'll ever bring up the fact that One for All can seemingly make you more durable (based upon the fact that All Might was able to tank Bakugou's really strong explosion and handle a bunch of punches from that really strong Noumu). I'm guessing that they'll just ignore that aspect with Deku (for the same reason All Might using OfA doesn't get the electric visual effect, etc).

i feel like deku still isn't using the power exactly the way allmight does. he seems to wear it like a cloak instead of allmight who pushes it more internally and can use it to beef up. but if it can help repel mind controll i'm sure durability isn't out of the question

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Deku starts to incorporate some non-kicks into his fighting. Kicking as his most common attack is fine, but I don't think he threw a single punch during his fight with Bakugou? I can't imagine that's an effective way to fight.

him fighting like eddy gordo from tekken would be best

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jose posted:

him fighting like eddy gordo from tekken would be best
I read that as "him fighting Eddy Gordo" and then all I could think of was One Piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblufvTIKug

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if they'll ever bring up the fact that One for All can seemingly make you more durable (based upon the fact that All Might was able to tank Bakugou's really strong explosion and handle a bunch of punches from that really strong Noumu). I'm guessing that they'll just ignore that aspect with Deku (for the same reason All Might using OfA doesn't get the electric visual effect, etc).

I always figured that the training to sustain/contain OfA was what made him so durable. So Deku will get more durable as his body learns to handle more and more of OfA.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rouncer posted:

I always figured that the training to sustain/contain OfA was what made him so durable. So Deku will get more durable as his body learns to handle more and more of OfA.

I think this is the case. For cooking you want the right amount of heat, too much and you'll ruin the food and destroy your equipment. Right now Deku is a cheap, thin teflon frying pan. At his peak All Might was a nice thick based cast iron pan that was properly seasoned.

i'm loving hungry

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

I wanna see All Might with the ridiculous SSJ3 golden mane of hair.

I hope Deku starts to incorporate some non-kicks into his fighting. Kicking as his most common attack is fine, but I don't think he threw a single punch during his fight with Bakugou? I can't imagine that's an effective way to fight.

When he does 50 more fights All Might calls him and asks if he wants to move to BakuStyle.
50 more and he asks again for UraStyle.

MightStyle is broken imo.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

RatHat posted:

It's different when they're in costumes since those are specially made.

Dude, it's an entire civilization of people with weird quirks. They probably have like a 'Big and Tall' style store for all of the people who shoot fire out of their own butts.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think One For All has to have some element where it makes you tougher.

All Might's current body was completely loving wrecked and he could still no-sell pretty ridiculous attacks. I think that Midoriya is just using the power wrong and will have some sort of epiphany about it later.

The best way I can describe it is to look at it how Ki is looked at in Korean martial art fantasies- Ki isn't just energy that lets you shoot energy blasts or punch over buildings; you have to properly circulate it in your body for long periods of time to toughen it up and you have to use it properly when you strike or you blow your limbs off.

Midoriya really reminds me of Shioon from The Breaker in a lot of ways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rip in peace the breaker

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Fabricated posted:

This is actually explained in an omake. His dad's sweat is some very mildly explosive/sparking acidic compound that he can't trigger at all- only through other forms of ignition.

His mom's quirk was that her skin very slightly excretes glycerine which apparently makes her skin really nice all the time.

Combined, you get exploding sweat. How Bakugou magically triggers it with his brain, I dunno.

Why didnt they kill each other during sex

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fabricated posted:

All Might's current body was completely loving wrecked and he could still no-sell pretty ridiculous attacks. I think that Midoriya is just using the power wrong and will have some sort of epiphany about it later.

The best way I can describe it is to look at it how Ki is looked at in Korean martial art fantasies- Ki isn't just energy that lets you shoot energy blasts or punch over buildings; you have to properly circulate it in your body for long periods of time to toughen it up and you have to use it properly when you strike or you blow your limbs off.

Which all goes back to All Might's main character flaw as a mentor character being that he is actually terrible at teaching. Which I think is really interesting, it makes sense that someone with such a unique power wouldn't necessarily be good at telling other people how it works. We also still don't know exactly what the circumstances were that All Might was in when he first got the OfA, or how long it took him to really get the hang of it. It could work differently for every inheritor because it has more power every time!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Work Friend Keven posted:

Why didnt they kill each other during sex

They practiced safe sex like responsible people do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the explosive stuff on his dad only appeared on his palms (Which carried over to Bakugo.) and would only explode when he rubbed them together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or, presumably, when he rubs his palm all over something el

:stonklol:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

manga author posted:

I don't think about these things when writing and neither should you

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

Which all goes back to All Might's main character flaw as a mentor character being that he is actually terrible at teaching. Which I think is really interesting, it makes sense that someone with such a unique power wouldn't necessarily be good at telling other people how it works. We also still don't know exactly what the circumstances were that All Might was in when he first got the OfA, or how long it took him to really get the hang of it. It could work differently for every inheritor because it has more power every time!

Didn't the old man hero guy say he was just natural at it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kild posted:

Didn't the old man hero guy say he was just natural at it.

Yeah, All Might was a natural, which is one reason why he was so bad at teaching his successor to use it. He never had to think about it before.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Midoriya's idolization of All Might has also been a big road block against just going along with what would naturally feel right for the power, on top of his usual overthinking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of deku overthinking things, I liked that line of bakugou's that's just "don't let him think". it's a small thing but it shows bakugou's been thinking about how to beat deku

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of deku overthinking things, I liked that line of bakugou's that's just "don't let him think". it's a small thing but it shows bakugou's been thinking about how to beat deku

It's also interesting getting the perspective of the person a character like Deku fights, in the sense that fighting a person who always comes up with plans/countermeasures would be pretty scary (you'd constantly be second-guessing yourself and worrying that he might have seen through whatever you're about to do).

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

It's been theorized before in the thread that it's something like Deku only putting O4A into his muscles, and that if he put it into his bones/skin, he'd gain more durability/nigh invulnerability.

It's unknown if that means splitting up his O4A boosts to make sure some is going to his bones, or if it would be just an expanded version of Full Cowl.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the real basis for the difference is that Deku still sees One For All as a power he turns on and off. All Might seems to have always used it as a core part of himself, we've never seen him not look like All Might except for after his near fatal fight with All For One. In the flashbacks he simply appears to have incorporated the power into himself, not only seeing as there was never any visualization of the power usage but because he always looked like All Might.

All Might became Superman and Deku still thinks of himself as Captain Marvel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deku would have vaporized himself by now if he'd left one for all on all the time

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

key party favors posted:

Dude, it's an entire civilization of people with weird quirks. They probably have like a 'Big and Tall' style store for all of the people who shoot fire out of their own butts.

... as opposed to all the people who can make fire shoot out of OTHER people's butts?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Crasical posted:

... as opposed to all the people who can make fire shoot out of OTHER people's butts?

Hot chicken chefs?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

deku would have vaporized himself by now if he'd left one for all on all the time

Only if he did things 100% all the time. Superman goes to the store, cooks dinner, and writes up articles while still being able to bench the planet at any given moment. Deku finally figured out that he can use just a portion of his power, but he still flips the switch to get there. There's nothing keeping him from always using the power and just usually using 0.0002% of full power when answering the phone.

Like how you don't answer your phone with all your possible strength, or even anywhere approaching a noticeable amount of your full power.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you guys are expecting a lot of someone who has had their quirk for under a year, and only recently learned to use it without crippling himself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gyges posted:

I believe his hand simply is burning red and has a loud roar.

It's burning grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VSqmDSe34c

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RatHat posted:

I think you guys are expecting a lot of someone who has had their quirk for under a year, and only recently learned to use it without crippling himself.

Of course, it's exciting that Deku is beginning to grasp all of this and we'll soon see his power just steamroll full speed ahead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

Honestly, it's pretty ridiculous that Deku can be such a badass at fighting (to the point where he can take on Bakugou) with less than a year of combat training.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, it's pretty ridiculous that Deku can be such a badass at fighting (to the point where he can take on Bakugou) with less than a year of combat training.

Bakugou might have the technical prowess, but Deku can just spam massive attacks to close the gap.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Bakugou is to Char as Deku is to early Amuro.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

No, we're just theorizing how he can improve.

Really it's very impressive how All Might just immediately started using it right and can't understand how Deku isn't getting it because of that.

Pssh. Like Bakugou has unlocked his ultimate attack yet. It's still a loud roar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwyVV5_orBo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I stand corrected.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

But Burning Finger is the Ultimate and Shining Finger is the weaker move? Or am I just missing the joke?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
In terms of 'holy crap this attack he's yelling sounds awesome' G Gundam actually kind of goes backwards. Burning Finger's callout is the weakest of sauces compared to 'MY LOVE MY ANGER AND ALL OF MY SORROW!'

Even the normal callout is better. 'This Hand of Mine Glows with an AWESOME POWER' compared to 'this hand of mine is burning red.'

... Now I'm just thinking of Bakugou calling out his attacks like that. 'My name is Baron Explodokills. Deku! I'm ready! Take this! My sweat my tears and every ounce of my burning blood! Exploding Finger!'

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

But Burning Finger is the Ultimate and Shining Finger is the weaker move? Or am I just missing the joke?

It's been forever and a day since I watched it. I thought Shining was the ultimate and Burning was the "normal".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah burning is the upgraded version, shining is what he starts the show with

also the va in that show has not aged well, like drat it's bad

e: if it helps, the japanese version was called something like exploding god finger instead of burning

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

nah burning is the upgraded version, shining is what he starts the show with

also the va in that show has not aged well, like drat it's bad

e: if it helps, the japanese version was called something like exploding god finger instead of burning

Nah G Gundam actually aged pretty well, it's just that those clips are from the start of the show where everyone was still finding their groove.

Incidentally Domon's VA quit voice acting afterwards to be a dentist since it payed more. He was another casualty of 2016--died of cancer according to his friend on Twitter.