Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

tribbledirigible posted:

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, but I never really looked at astromech droids as gendered. The main descriptor that comes up for me when I think of Chopper is murderous rear end in a top hat.

Droid genders don't seem to really map to human genders.

:NSWF::NSFW:

For example, the old Topps trading card seems to make C3P0 as male, or at least having a penis. "Super gay C3P0 and his life partner R2D2" makes sense, especially with Lucas' love of vaudeville and "old hollywood" plus "old pulp", so making fun of "the gays" is totally fair game.

Plus there is this:

Plus, AP5 is still pretty swishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
They are repraps anyway.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized they retconned Ventress from being a Rattataki to being Dathomiri...along with Maul. So they're the same species. Apparently different groups of people can't live on a planet without literally being from there and being the same species. Everything the Clone Wars introduced having to do with Dathomir was dumb as poo poo. I've hated most of the new canon stuff but latter day story decisions to do with existing EU material were terrible.

I mean, am I wrong? Read the wiki article on Maul and soak in all the mental gymnastics going on to reconcile his like, 80 different origins. EU writers didn't pull him being Zabrak out of their rear end, that's something that had to come from Lucas. And then he's like, "uh, well no actually he's from Dathomir I guess because we want to incorporate the Nightsisters. And so is Ventress. They're literally the same species have I never mentioned that?" So the article is like WELL HE'S A DATHOMIRI DESCENDED FROM ZABRAKS WHO CAME FROM RATTATAK :wtc:

I did like that they gave Maul a little more nuance this time out. It really felt like his plea for Ezra to be his friend was genuine. I wish Star Wars did more to humanize Dark Siders and characterize them less as demons who are always out to trick and betray you.

Can't wait for Maul to go straight back to square one running headfirst into Kenobi's lightsaber with essentially no character growth.

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 11, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Who gives a poo poo? Have fun with your spacemans. Spacemans have fun.

Zabrack, Dothomir, whatever. It's all whatever.

Just have fun with it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

I just realized they retconned Ventress from being a Rattataki to being Dathomiri...along with Maul. So they're the same species. Apparently different groups of people can't live on a planet without literally being from there and being the same species. Everything the Clone Wars introduced having to do with Dathomir was dumb as poo poo. I've hated most of the new canon stuff but latter day story decisions to do with existing EU material were terrible.

I mean, am I wrong? Read the wiki article on Maul and soak in all the mental gymnastics going on to reconcile his like, 80 different origins. EU writers didn't pull him being Zabrak out of their rear end, that's something that had to come from Lucas. And then he's like, "uh, well no actually he's from Dathomir I guess because we want to incorporate the Nightsisters. And so is Ventress. They're literally the same species have I never mentioned that?" So the article is like WELL HE'S A DATHOMIRI DESCENDED FROM ZABRAKS WHO CAME FROM RATTATAK :wtc:

I did like that they gave Maul a little more nuance this time out. It really felt like his plea for Ezra to be his friend was genuine. I wish Star Wars did more to humanize Dark Siders and characterize them less as demons who are always out to trick and betray you.

Can't wait for Maul to go straight back to square one running headfirst into Kenobi's lightsaber with essentially no character growth.

I mean the wiki page for Zabraks basically says that the Dathomirian 'night brothers' are just culturally different, and that they're not actually the same species as the nightsisters. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 11, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where are all the Rancors? They made it off world, right?

Hey, a bunch of nerds had this exact issue with a cartoon 4 years ago.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/changing-asajj-ventresss-species-why.50009208/

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 11, 2016

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't read the Wiki and decided to discard almost everything that isn't from the movies and TV series, so for me the Dathomiri are just a species with a particularly pronounced gender dimorphism, with the Nightbrothers being distant descendants of Zabraks. The things I take from the EU are the possible genetic manipulations of the Nightsisters to make the Zabraks genetically compatible with them and the fact that the Nightbrothers' skin has nothing remaining of its original color, all of it being covered with magical ink put on them when they were infants. Slave marks, if you will. It also helps explain how the Jedi managed to figure out that Maul was from Dathomir in the second Savage episode : those tattoos are unmistakable.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rocksicles posted:

Where are all the Rancors? They made it off world, right?

Hey, a bunch of nerds had this exact issue with a cartoon 4 years ago.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/changing-asajj-ventresss-species-why.50009208/

Those right there are some people who I expect were detained and sectioned while trying to break into the Disney offices, shortly after the Canon/Legends and new story committee announcement

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

Those right there are some people who I expect were detained and sectioned while trying to break into the Disney offices, shortly after the Canon/Legends and new story committee announcement

Please tell me that happened.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Not sure if anything matters less to that story than if Ventress and Maul are the same species.

Good episode yesterday! I like Maul's creepy portrait of Satine. Wondering if he just wants to kill Kenobi, or if he wants to team up with him for revenge on Palpatine before killing him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DancinBrud posted:

Wondering if he just wants to kill Kenobi, or if he wants to team up with him for revenge on Palpatine before killing him.

Maybe he wants to challenge him to a foot race so he can show off his fancy robolegs.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So is the weird lightsaber something that's come up before in the Clone Wars or so? I haven't seen that whole series but it looks vaguely familiar to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Woebin posted:

So is the weird lightsaber something that's come up before in the Clone Wars or so? I haven't seen that whole series but it looks vaguely familiar to me.

It's called the Darksabre, it was a relic belonging to Clan Vizsla - the senior clan that Sabine's clan is sworn to - and was stolen from the Jedi temple on Coruscant by one of their ancestors long ago. The reason for the black blade, and the style, has never been explained.

It was wielded by the head of clan vizsla and Deathwatch, until Maul took it from him, and cut off his head with it when first forming his shadow collective.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DancinBrud posted:

Not sure if anything matters less to that story than if Ventress and Maul are the same species.

Good episode yesterday! I like Maul's creepy portrait of Satine. Wondering if he just wants to kill Kenobi, or if he wants to team up with him for revenge on Palpatine before killing him.

I don't get why he feels the need to literally kill him in order to satisfy his lust for revenge when before he was cool to just throw him in jail after killing his girlfriend. I mean if a guy chopped me in half and by extension removed my dick and balls (Zabrak have nards?) I'd hunt him to the end of the galaxy, but it just feels like his continued obsession doesn't match up with the character's prior motivations. Literally nothing other than being chopped in half is on Kenobi. And after Sidious chumped him, killed his brother, threw him in space jail, destroyed his criminal empire, and then killed his mom too; you'd think most of his ire would be directed at him instead.

I guess the washed up bad guy finding redemption is a tired trope. I'd like to see a slightly more humanistic, slightly less cackling madman portrayal of Maul though. What if he was hunting down Kenobi to apologize because it was the last step in his 12-step rageaholics program?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

who knows, maybe he is doing that but he is so far beyond the pale that any time I tries to act genuine or "be nice" he ends up double-crossing people anyway because he is a very broken person

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I never watched any of Clone Wars, and I read The Courtship of Princess Leia a long time ago, so this episode confused me. I just read all about the new Dathomir, and I think I liked the old one better. Force sensitive witches riding rancors while attacking imperials with Luke Skywalker was just fun, at least to 13 year old me.

So, does this mean that Han owns Maul's home planet?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just a bunch of Zabrak immigrants who lived on Dathomir so yeah you're wrong?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's exactly that. It's not like the men are horned and the women aren't either because you see horned female zabrak in cw. It's literally "night sisters keep a village of zabrak slaves."

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just a bunch of Zabrak immigrants who lived on Dathomir so yeah you're wrong?

According to the wiki it's canon that all the inhabitants of Dathomir are Zabrak/Human hybrids. All the men have horns and tattoos, all the women are pale with tats and don't have horns. Take it up with them not me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aren't Zabrak also basically a human subspecies?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

According to the wiki it's canon that all the inhabitants of Dathomir are Zabrak/Human hybrids. All the men have horns and tattoos, all the women are pale with tats and don't have horns. Take it up with them not me.

No, it's not.

Wookiepedia posted:

Dathomir was a remote, neutral planet in the Quelli sector and the home of the Nightsisters. The planet, lit red by its central star, had numerous continents that were overrun with vegetation, forests, and swamplands. The Nightsisters, also known as the Dathomir witches, made their home in the swamps, and wielded magicks fueled by Dathomir's own power. Dathomir was also home to the Nightbrothers, Zabraks who were ruled by the Nightsisters.

quote:

Maul was a Dathomirian Zabrak male who lived during the last days of the Galactic Republic and the reign of the Galactic Empire.

Maybe you're reading the wrong wiki?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
According to ew there are actually a couple of rebels references in rogue one. Hype status: plaid

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jerkface posted:

According to ew there are actually a couple of rebels references in rogue one. Hype status: plaid

SYNERGY

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe he wants to challenge him to a foot race so he can show off his fancy robolegs.

If Rocky III has taught me anything its that running on sand makes you a badass, a double badass if its done in a weird homo-erotic montage with Carl Weathers.

Obi-Wan has been running on sand for some time now, ain't no robot legs gonna keep up with that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MrJacobs posted:

If Rocky III has taught me anything its that running on sand makes you a badass, a double badass if its done in a weird homo-erotic montage with Carl Weathers.

Obi-Wan has been running on sand for some time now, ain't no robot legs gonna keep up with that.

I hate sand.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Medullah posted:

I hate sand.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

In this week's Rebels Recon, they more or less said the back half of the season will incorporate aspects of R1. My money's still on a Cassian appearance.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DancinBrud posted:

In this week's Rebels Recon, they more or less said the back half of the season will incorporate aspects of R1.

Rogue One just keeps getting better and better. I might actually show emotion other than "hey I didn't hate that :unsmith:" this Friday

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
George saw Rogue One.

and he liked it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheBigBad posted:

George saw Rogue One.

and he liked it.

*looks ticket for Friday morning*

*nervously tugs collar*

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

TheBigBad posted:

George saw Rogue One.

and he liked it.

Maybe it rhymes, like poetry.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MichiganCubbie posted:

Maybe it rhymes, like poetry.

poo poo, what did that George Lucas hack ever make that was any good anyway? AM I RIGHT GUYS? That's why we're still going to see every two-bit spinoff and cash in Disney can crap out because George Lucas was no fuckin' good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

poo poo, what did that George Lucas hack ever make that was any good anyway? AM I RIGHT GUYS? That's why we're still going to see every two-bit spinoff and cash in Disney can crap out because George Lucas was no fuckin' good.

George Lucas is bad regardless of whether Disney is bad. hth.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah I hate that terrible movie he made in 1977, Star Wars.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

George Lucas is bad regardless of whether Disney is bad. hth.

Yeah, what's he ever done for us?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Red Tails.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

George Lucas was pretty good when he had the right people backing him up, but on his own he's kinda terrible.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Woebin posted:

George Lucas was pretty good when he had the right people backing him up, but on his own he's kinda terrible.

Who was backing him for American Graffiti?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

Who was backing him for American Graffiti?

Francis Ford Coppola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheBigBad posted:

Francis Ford Coppola.

Wasn't his involvement pretty much limited to signing on as a producer to keep the financiers happy? I'd have thought Marcia Lucas as an editor was his main help on that one. Lucas is a great ideas man, a great business man and even a great director at times (the opening minute or so of A New Hope is iconic as hell and a good chunk of that is down to directing choices he made), but he needs people he respects to keep him in check at the very least, even if perhaps not specific back up since there was a fairly varied production crew between his early films and I doubt he happened to get lucky every time on them.

• Locked thread