Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beet Wagon posted:

I genuinely have no idea how the mechanics of licensing like that work, so I just default to the funnier option. It would make way more sense if it was a single-time purchase though.

Crobbler licensing CryEngine as a contract with ongoing payments, which he defaults on, would be the funniest scenario. I think he probably got a sweetheart deal back in 2011-2012 when they did the original demo work for him, and probably finalized it after the initial Kickstarter success. I'm open to being surprised, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mirificus posted:

TheGremlich:

After a long career in the military followed by continuing government service, I am having some free time to be a photographer. Not a professional photographer, mind you, because I cannot guarantee the consistent results demanded by the exchange of legal tender for services to be rendered.

just lol

Sounds like a really scary guy with a lot of power.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There is a lot I could do to CIG even before getting into drone strike territory.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

quote:

About me? posted:

After a long career in the military followed by continuing government service, I am having some free time to be a photographer. Not a professional photographer, mind you, because I cannot guarantee the consistent results demanded by the exchange of legal tender for services to be rendered.

I too, enjoy taking snaps of things with my Samsung phone (when it's not exploding) when I'm not conducting clandestine yet completely unhidden amatuer surveillance on chat forums about a crap game and threatening the posters with my government powers (that I don't have).

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

I too, enjoy taking snaps of things with my Samsung phone (when it's not exploding) when I'm not conducting clandestine yet completely unhidden amatuer surveillance on chat forums about a crap game and threatening the posters with my government powers (that I don't have).

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

XK posted:

I have the power to invalidate your Constitutional rights, but I won't, because I'm just that great of a person. You never know, though, so stop talking bad about my favorite video game. I'm putting you on my list.

Hey you don't think Santa is going to put anyone on the naughty list for talking bad about Star Citizen, do you? Asking for a friend.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this thread took a weird turn

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

this thread took a weird turn

do you feel grief, citizen?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

HycoCam posted:

Hey you don't think Santa is going to put anyone on the naughty list for talking bad about Star Citizen, do you? Asking for a friend.

I'm sorry to inform you, but we're all getting coal.

It's candy coal that comes in a tiny pail with a little hammer.

It's sickening and heartbreaking strong licorice flavor.

Our Scandinavian friends will be happy with it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

do you feel grief, citizen?

that's my secret, btak, I always feel grief

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Actually, knowing how CIG tends to work, I wouldn't be surprised if CryTek was contracted a percentage of gross sales.

lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

Actually, knowing how CIG tends to work, I wouldn't be surprised if CryTek was contracted a percentage of gross sales.

lol

hahahahahha if true

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

XK posted:

lol

there's no sales if there's no game

check

mate

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I think Chris never REALLY wanted to make an MMO, but their ship based funding model precludes anything else. There's no way anyone would spend $1000+ on a spaceship for a single player game, Free to Play shitheap games are only able to maintain their Whale-based finding model because the whales are part of a multiplayer experience and base their whole identity on showing off to or not letting down other people in the game.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

there's no sales if there's no game

check

mate

Sorry, CryTek, they're all pledges.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't think chris ever wanted to make videogames at all, tbh, he just found it easier to run for "star wars of videogames" than to come up with a cool original idea for a film

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Fatkraken posted:

I think Chris never REALLY wanted to make an MMO, but their ship based funding model precludes anything else. There's no way anyone would spend $1000+ on a spaceship for a single player game, Free to Play shitheap games are only able to maintain their Whale-based finding model because the whales are part of a multiplayer experience and base their whole identity on showing off to or not letting down other people in the game.

The biggest thing I was wanting to look forward to was to see dozens of Goons in starter ships go after those whales in the super expensive chariots like a pack of hyenas.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

The more I think about it, I bet CryTek was promised a percentage. It just makes sense, considering how this project started, and their initial help with making the demo. That's also how a lot of engines get licensed for indie games anymore, and the engine contract was likely finalized well before anyone had any inkling of how much money would be dumped into this project. It would actually be weird for CryTek to not be cut in for a percentage, and whoever negotiated the contract on CryTek's behalf would've been completely stupid to not have some kind of percentage clause on what was originally a small time niche indie project.

TheAgent, confirm if true.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

i don't think chris ever wanted to make videogames at all, tbh, he just found it easier to run for "star wars of videogames" than to come up with a cool original idea for a film

Here is the thing about that. Chris burned his bridges in Hollywood big time. Look at what Mel Gibson had to do to earn his way back in with the real money people and how long that took. Chris's biggest stigmata is that he fucks the money up every single time with his autistic scope creep. That man cannot stick to a budget to save his life no matter what industry he tries. That is why he went to KS for money because after the poo poo he pulled with Digital Anvil, there was no way in hell any publishers were going to finance a damned thing with his name on it. Hollywood is no different. The only ones that are forgiven for going over budget are the ones that have a history of making up for it once its released. How many times now has Chris tried to make this same goddamned videogame/movie?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DapperDon posted:

Here is the thing about that. Chris burned his bridges in Hollywood big time. Look at what Mel Gibson had to do to earn his way back in with the real money people and how long that took. Chris's biggest stigmata is that he fucks the money up every single time with his autistic scope creep. That man cannot stick to a budget to save his life no matter what industry he tries. That is why he went to KS for money because after the poo poo he pulled with Digital Anvil, there was no way in hell any publishers were going to finance a damned thing with his name on it. Hollywood is no different. The only ones that are forgiven for going over budget are the ones that have a history of making up for it once its released. How many times now has Chris tried to make this same goddamned videogame/movie?

Well, decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-ggbdklaE&t=258s

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Within the first few seconds where he attempts to describe the future of gaming, he started by stating it would be either/or and then continues on to name the rest of the genre in the very next breath while also making sure to include his game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I do appreciate how upon reflection of his failures Chris remarks that he needed someone to ensure he didn't get too caught up in the details and keep scope creeping etc. Then every time afterwards goes "Nah I got this"

That takes vision. Tunnel vision.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DapperDon posted:

Within the first few seconds where he attempts to describe the future of gaming, he started by stating it would be either/or and then continues on to name the rest of the genre in the very next breath while also making sure to include his game.

He does that a lot, so instead of saying a game is a certain thing, the only way he can express it is by saying stuff like 'it's like Star Wars but with Alien in it and then Dune'
The main difference is instead of using them as reference points like most people he is simply relaying a list of poo poo he is going to steal wholesale.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"So I want it to be like Star Wars here"
*devs work for 6 months making a Star Wars like landscape*
"This is nothing like Star Wars, where is Han Solo and the X Wings and those little loving bears and poo poo?"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XK posted:

Sorry, CryTek, they're all pledges.

No combos

Come on down to Roberts Shiphouse and pledge for your special ship special

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 11, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

XK posted:

The more I think about it, I bet CryTek was promised a percentage. It just makes sense, considering how this project started, and their initial help with making the demo. That's also how a lot of engines get licensed for indie games anymore, and the engine contract was likely finalized well before anyone had any inkling of how much money would be dumped into this project. It would actually be weird for CryTek to not be cut in for a percentage, and whoever negotiated the contract on CryTek's behalf would've been completely stupid to not have some kind of percentage clause on what was originally a small time niche indie project.

derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
in the future there are no arcade shooters, puzzle games, driving games, brawlers, RTS's, rhythm action games.... Just linear story based games that are like movies, and sandbox MMOs.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The cyberarcheologists of the future will have a hard nut to crack with these threads.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I was thinking more Bloody Mary or Candy Man.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

I was thinking more Bloody Mary or Candy Man.

This is more of what comes to mind for me when I think of Derek being summoned to a thread.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

BigglesSWE posted:

The cyberarcheologists of the future will have a hard nut to crack with these threads.

And we will still have this thread talking about Star Citizen not being released yet.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

DapperDon posted:

And we will still have this thread talking about Star Citizen not being released yet.

Which contaminates their findings, making it all for naught.

Just like Star Citizen.

(They will find references to a budget of hundreds of millions but assume there is some error in interpretation, surely that can't be true?)

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 12, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Also - and I'm afraid I'm stating the obvious here - even giving Gremlich the benefit of the doubt and taking him at his word that he's some kind of Turbo G-Man or whatever, how loving mentally ill do you have to be to threaten to leverage the power of the federal government against someone because they made fun of a video game on the internet?

Well, I really think he would have done more than block me on Twitter if he had any real power. At least he could have gotten all Derek on my and threatened me with a sueball...

EDIT: Especially once I started calling him out on Reddit...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 12, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Credit to Rolan on fdev:

Some sort of UI based stuff
http://imgur.com/a/2wxzL (pic will mess the forum structure up so leaving it as a shortcut)

Video of the thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?=vd&v=TMbK7GaJTCo

There's a cock pit view of the inside of one of their carrot on a string ships, the letterbox window one, looks a bit crap imho.

Meh.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enjoying screaming at people trying to play the computer game. This is just a quick reminder for you all to take a small amount of time out of your day to call or visit your parents because they love and care about you

Just got back from a dinner for my stepmom's birthday. Also, grabbed pics of tonight off my tablet I took tonight and emailed them off to her.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sabreseven posted:

Some sort of UI based stuff
http://imgur.com/a/2wxzL (pic will mess the forum structure up so leaving it as a shortcut)

Is this really from their test release? Really?

There's even more and worse if you follow the link in the quote, those are just a sampling.

I'm withholding belief on those pictures. They're just so bad. They have to be purely internal things that leaked out somehow.

XK fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 12, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Yeah, I didn't want to go too far into the rabbits hole, so I just grabbed and pasted without looking into it :)

Oh, and in other news:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I can't remember anyone talking specifically about that

I can tell you that there's a lot of bad blood between CIG and crytek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

XK posted:

I'm withholding belief on those pictures. They're just so bad. They have to be purely internal things that leaked out somehow.

yes it sure isn't up to par with the rest of the quality content presented by cig

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 12, 2016