Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

With my 5x its basically every time I actually need it, I just don't think they're particularly good sensors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't think I've ever calibrated my compass

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

vyst posted:

I had no idea that was still a thing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't recall having to ever do it on my 6P but my work iPhone needs it done seemingly every time I try and use it (which admittedly isn't very often)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vyst posted:

I never have either. Didn't even know it needed calibrating... I mean, it's a compass.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Taffer posted:

I never have either. Didn't even know it needed calibrating... I mean, it's a compass.

Its a magnemometer (sp?), not a compass. It senses the magnetic field around the phone and decides which way you're facing from fluctuations in it. Its not a floating magnetized needle sitting in the phone.

Doing the figure 8 pattern (and whatever else you do) runs the sensor through the field around you and helps it figure out where North is.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Its not a floating magnetized needle sitting in the phone.

Well that's some bullshit. I was going to replace the back with a plexi-glass window for backcountry hiking. Now you post this.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I complained about this earlier in the thread I think. I was in Japan, and like once a loving day my compass (5X) is randomly pointing in the wrong direction. Sometimes I noticed right away, sometimes I didn't; sometimes "calibrating" helped, sometimes it didn't. So occasionally I'm walking an entire block in the wrong direction, swinging my loving idiot phone around.

Meanwhile my wife's iPhone 5S is almost completely broken, but there is no calibrating the compass, which always seems to point in the right direction.

Fortunately my Pixel seems way better, and has yet to ask me to calibrate the compass. The compass issue was making me consider the iPhone, which I don't particularly like otherwise.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Never heard about the calibration thing, that might explain why I'm always yelling at maps apps to stop pointing in the wrong direction.

Honestly though, I don't really see the point to having a heading/compass on the phone. If you just have a map where up is north and then, like, look around you, it isn't generally hard to tell which direction you're heading. I honestly would rather just shut it off and not have it be a thing; if I'm using navigation, it can just assume I'm facing in the direction of the blue line.

Is there any way to just disable the compass?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

Well the thing is you might never notice it needs calibrating if you're not using an actual compass app.

In Maps, it can easily get your direction from your direction of travel, so if you just use your phone for navigation and don't pay real close attention to what it's doing when you're stopped, a miscalibrated compass won't ever affect you.

I don't know what triggers the dialog that tells you to calibrate, but I've only seen that a couple times in my life...usually I just notice the compass being significantly off when I'm geocaching with my daughter. When that happens I just do the figure eight pattern a few times and that fixes it up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Far as I'm aware getting a compass heading involves measuring the magnetic field, and then correcting for the way the phone is tilted since that introduces pretty large errors. So there are a bunch of sensors involved, like the accelerometer and gyroscope, plus there's the natural variations from place to place which involves location data. It's a bit complicated and honestly it's impressive that this stuff works with tiny cheap components

Also android phones could have anything in them, because who looks at sensor specs when they're buying :pcgaming: Didn't one of the cheap motos lack a gyroscope? That kind of thing will affect your phone's ability to provide good consistent data without a bit of hand-holding

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
Hey yall, got a boring and serious app request. I'm looking for an app to do time-clocking by job related duties, i.e. for a business. The function is kinda in-between the various products I've found so far, wondering if anyone has any suggestions or direction to something that gets close to my basic idea:

Imagine a factory with different work stations or processes. I want to log who did what, when, and for how long.
- Tablet-esque interfaces at each station.
- People "clock in" (even better- barcode scanner) when they begin a work process, as well as other params such as project name, quantity, specs, etc.
- When the process is complete, it is clocked out.
- Spreadsheet data is generated listing the person, time in, time out, and other reference params.
- This spreadsheet could then be parsed into outlook calendar appts.

I'm aware of some basic clocking apps... just weeding through for the closest match. The idea of making something custom and having access to data functions on the front end is reallll tempting but I don't think I can afford the time.

Thanks much for any input!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What's a good app for cooking recipes? I don't necessarily mean searching for recipes out there to use, I also want to store my own!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's a good app for cooking recipes? I don't necessarily mean searching for recipes out there to use, I also want to store my own!

I really really like paprika but it's $5.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uPen posted:

I really really like paprika but it's $5.

I have no qualms about paying a price like that if it's a highly recommended and good app!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Paprika is good, my wife swears by it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Used to use Evernote, now I use Keep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Used to use Evernote, now I use Keep.

I am looking for one purpose-built for recipes, not a general note-taking app. Paprika it is!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am looking for one purpose-built for recipes, not a general note-taking app. Paprika it is!

Paprika is excellent, and it has desktop versions with a cloud sync. You just have to pay upfront for each platform.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dishman posted:

Hey yall, got a boring and serious app request. I'm looking for an app to do time-clocking by job related duties, i.e. for a business. The function is kinda in-between the various products I've found so far, wondering if anyone has any suggestions or direction to something that gets close to my basic idea:

Imagine a factory with different work stations or processes. I want to log who did what, when, and for how long.
- Tablet-esque interfaces at each station.
- People "clock in" (even better- barcode scanner) when they begin a work process, as well as other params such as project name, quantity, specs, etc.
- When the process is complete, it is clocked out.
- Spreadsheet data is generated listing the person, time in, time out, and other reference params.
- This spreadsheet could then be parsed into outlook calendar appts.

I'm aware of some basic clocking apps... just weeding through for the closest match. The idea of making something custom and having access to data functions on the front end is reallll tempting but I don't think I can afford the time.

Thanks much for any input!

People ask this from time to time and never get an answer. I'd be interested to know what you come up with just for future recommendations. I Googled "timekeeping app" and came up with a few promising leads but obviously I have no skin in the game so I can't really recommend any of the results to you.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Wacky Delly posted:

Paprika is excellent, and it has desktop versions with a cloud sync. You just have to pay upfront for each platform.

I always half-remember a cooking app where you can track your ingredients supply and have it dump a list of feasible recipes. Anyone have that one in memory?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Not entirely sure if this is an ios or android question. I have an iphone for work and my personal is android. I use pushbullet for syncing notifications between my tablet and phone but sadly the ios app doesn't support that.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to push email/calendar notifications from the iphone to android as even though my company uses google apps I don't want to give them total control of the phone as their device manager requirements are a bit strict.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Don't try and circumvent your work IT security requirements - that's just going to end in tears.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Don't try and circumvent your work IT security requirements - that's just going to end in tears.

I don't think he's trying to circumvent anything, he just wants notifications from one device mirrored to another. I sort of looked into this for you, first thinking it would be easiest to have your work calendar synced to a personal calendar of yours (not possible) then approaching it from just the notification angle (again, it seems impossible to pull notifications from iOS).

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Anyone else get the update for the google keyboard?

Apparently now languages are merged so you don't have to switch over to get spelling corrections/predictions, it's dynamic at least with the two languages I have installed.

Search being built into the keyboard makes less sense. I can't really think of a situation where I'd be in a text field and want to do a gimped google search instead of like, tapping home and using the search bar, or using Now on Tap or something. What's even the use case here?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Anyone else get the update for the google keyboard?

Apparently now languages are merged so you don't have to switch over to get spelling corrections/predictions, it's dynamic at least with the two languages I have installed.

Search being built into the keyboard makes less sense. I can't really think of a situation where I'd be in a text field and want to do a gimped google search instead of like, tapping home and using the search bar, or using Now on Tap or something. What's even the use case here?

Yeah I don't get that either but it's easy enough to just have buried and forgotten in the menu. I guess it's so you don't have to exit a messaging app to do a search?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I don't think he's trying to circumvent anything, he just wants notifications from one device mirrored to another. I sort of looked into this for you, first thinking it would be easiest to have your work calendar synced to a personal calendar of yours (not possible) then approaching it from just the notification angle (again, it seems impossible to pull notifications from iOS).

Yeah, that looks to be the case. I can't share my work calendar with my google account either (besides free/busy) so I'm basically stuck. I wish AW supported pairing with two devices I wouldn't have to deal with this as I could just look at my watch for calendar/email crap. We do use slack for communication so there's at least that.

Edit: I created IFTTT applets to send an AW notification when an event starts or email arrives. I guess that kinda covers what I needed.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 13, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I don't get that either but it's easy enough to just have buried and forgotten in the menu. I guess it's so you don't have to exit a messaging app to do a search?

Since there is a Share button right below the search results, I think it's just a quicker way of Let Me Google That For You.

The keyboard also now includes gif search and emoji search.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Still no emoji predictions though.. :c00lbutt:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
What's the email client that won't let work remotely wipe your phone?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

fluppet posted:

Back in the days of Exchange I used Touchdown and was pretty happy with it. It encapsulates all the company data which would be remotely wiped.

Edit Checked reviews and looks like it's gone to poo poo since I last used it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Nine is the best exchange email app.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

You want Nine: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

e:fb

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't see how that's going to help him. His workplace uses Google Apps, not Exchange, and he wants the Calendar functionality, not the mail.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

LastInLine posted:

I don't see how that's going to help him. His workplace uses Google Apps, not Exchange, and he wants the Calendar functionality, not the mail.

I was replying directly to fluppet, I didn't realize he was asking for Ashex.

Nine works with Google apps as well, just not regular gmail accounts. It has calendar functionality and will integrate into android's stock calendar.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

THF13 posted:

I was replying directly to fluppet, I didn't realize he was asking for Ashex.

Nine works with Google apps as well, just not regular gmail accounts. It has calendar functionality and will integrate into android's stock calendar.

I also was not aware they were asking for me :)

I guess for calendar I could just use CalDAV? I tried one of the free apps but got an insecure login alert and I'm not flipping that switch on a work email. There an app (paid or not) which would work for just doing basic CalDAV with oauth?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'm looking for something to do fine-grained configuration on sms notifications. Specifically, I'd like texts from specific people to ding / buzz continuously (or at some interval) until read / dismissed by me. Any recommendations?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

I also was not aware they were asking for me :)

I guess for calendar I could just use CalDAV? I tried one of the free apps but got an insecure login alert and I'm not flipping that switch on a work email. There an app (paid or not) which would work for just doing basic CalDAV with oauth?

If Nine works with GSuite use that, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ashex posted:

Edit: I created IFTTT applets to send an AW notification when an... email arrives

AW = Android Wear? It seriously didn't do this already? Even Pebble does this.