Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Endman posted:

I think we all know why - not enough skulls

Skull quotient = goodness of Warham

I'd argue that skulls are necessary but not sufficient.

Like, hams needs skulls but not all skulls are hams.

But, provided hams, then I'd be willing to propose at least a linear relationship between the number of skulls and the goodness of hams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SPACE MARINE is a loving great book.

Now someone convince Chuck Tingle to write 40k fanfic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Orv posted:

If you read a Warhammer book in that bone church (thanks Wikipedia) you would just atomize into pure bliss.
The funny thing about Catholics is that there is more than one of those churches.There's also this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Orv posted:

If you read a Warhammer book in that bone church (thanks Wikipedia) you would just atomize into pure bliss.

I've been there. When my tour guide said there were no fewer than forty thousand skulls in there I drat near lost my poo poo.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Gotta do something with those bones, may as well make art. I dig the bone churches. My wife was pretty creeped out by the Capucin ossuary but went in because she wanted to see the Caravaggio. I'm sure one of the primarch has that painting hanging somewhere and doesn't know what it is.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Now someone convince Chuck Tingle to write 40k fanfic.
Pounded By The Primarch

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Pounded By The Primarch

Tyrannids Tyrannized My Taint

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Preechr posted:

Tyrannids Tyrannized My Taint
Horus' Heretical Horseplay

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fulgrim's Full Frontal.

Actually, that one already exists.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Sanguinius Sucks: Sadistic S&M

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Iron fisted in the butt

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Prostatero Burns

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Master of Machocism

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Struck From The Sky By My Battle-Brother

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The slightest hint of Chuck Tingle would shatter the Grim Darkness of 40k with the power of love and kissing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pounded in the Butt by my Primarch's Butt

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

In the Grim Dark Butt there is only Pounding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sandweed posted:

In the Grim Dark Butt there is only Pounding.

But enough about the salamanders. Some like it hot.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pounded in the webway by my grumpy one eyed son whilst I was on the golden throne

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Wrt the Emperor and the Primarchs in MoM:

the thing is "he views them as constructs, referred to by numbers" isn't really true.

When you read through, yes, he overwhelmingly does do that. But not always. There are a few moments, and they are always key ones heavily laid with emotion between them, where he uses names.

The big one is the start, when the gateway is disrupted. He refers to Magnus as Magnus. There are like one or two other blink-and-you-miss-them moments where he does the same.

I think ADB was being subtle, and answering the question someone asked earlier, about "everyone thought it was going to be total victory for one or the other, why did no one predict the Emperor being stuck in limbo on the throne?"

Everyone thought that both sides were more far gone, more divorced from their humanity, they they really were. The Emperor, as much as he portrays himself as on another level from humanity, isn't as far removed as he and everyone else thinks.

He does care for the primarchs. He doesn't want to, he wants them to be tools, be being bound to mankind he has their emotions still and does love them. When the emotions are high between them the mask slips and he does feel. So against Horus he holds back until the end, surprising all and generating the stalemate.

There are a few more moments that also hint "he isn't as far removed as he acts", his focus on the intended gift for his cousin when he kills his uncle, when e talks about the behavior of the priest-king on the steppes, when he hesitates and obfuscates when explaining the limits of his powers to Ra.

In the 30,000 years he has either never severed the connection or has grown attached. And that is the difference that changes everything

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just getting back into 40K after like a two year break. Just re-read Grey Knights, Lord of the Night, Dead Men Walking by Steve Lyons (which I loved), and I'm working on Book 1 of the Horus Heresy books.

Has anyone read the first book in the new Primarch series?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

pubic works project posted:

Has anyone read the first book in the new Primarch series?

It's fine. It's completely unnecessary, it just covers the same characterization of Guilliman you see in all his appearances in the mainline Horus Heresy books. But as a standalone book, it's fine. Totally acceptable.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does Dalin know Kolea is his father or what? In Armor of Contempt there's a bit where he explicitly reflects on his relationship with Criid, Caffran, and Kolea all mentioned by name so I would have thought he did. But I just got to a bit in Only in Death where Dalin only has a vague recollection of Kolea as an uncle or family friend before the battle at Vervunhive and asks him if he knew his birth parents. These last few books have had some noticeable differences from earlier entries, some wonky continuity and changes in chapter length to pick some out, did Abnett pick up a ghostwriter or something somewhere along the line?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bango skank posted:

So does Dalin know Kolea is his father or what? In Armor of Contempt there's a bit where he explicitly reflects on his relationship with Criid, Caffran, and Kolea all mentioned by name so I would have thought he did. But I just got to a bit in Only in Death where Dalin only has a vague recollection of Kolea as an uncle or family friend before the battle at Vervunhive and asks him if he knew his birth parents. These last few books have had some noticeable differences from earlier entries, some wonky continuity and changes in chapter length to pick some out, did Abnett pick up a ghostwriter or something somewhere along the line?

Dalin and Yoncy got aged up so that Dalin could be thrown into the RIP detail. He's had his suspicions that Kolea is his father but it isn't until Salvation's Reach that Kolea truly admits it. The first short story in Sabbat Crusade deals with Kolea reconnecting with his children.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dalin has known since Criid went off to Gereon. A big part of the second Gereon book is Dalin's internal conflict about his two dads.

Edit: Specifically when Dalin is passed out in the church he has a dream about Caffran warning him about danger and throughout his ordeal he gears Caff's voice keeping him out of danger. After the next book it's heavily implied that it was Soric keeping him safe through his memories.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 14, 2016

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Finished reading up to and including Prospero Burns which was rad as all gently caress and by far the best Heresy book so far. A Thousand Sons is for some reason not available in Kindle format so I had to skip it. Just started Know No Fear and so far it's way good. I'm starting to sense a trend here

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Huh? Thousand sons has always been available as an ebook, I'm pretty sure it's still on my kindle in fact

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Huh? Thousand sons has always been available as an ebook, I'm pretty sure it's still on my kindle in fact

When I try to buy it it's only available as mass market paperback, audiobook or hardcover :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Where from?

Look on blacklibrary.com

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Biplane posted:

When I try to buy it it's only available as mass market paperback, audiobook or hardcover :(

Depending on where you are it won't be on Amazon Kindle until next year.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'm like 99% sure you can find an epub somewhere, and you can convert an epub to a mobi (kindle format) pretty trivially.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just read Josh Reynolds 'Fabius Bile : Primogentior'. Not sure what prompted me to pick it up, my hopes weren't especially high.

Turns out it's pretty good. I actually enjoyed it more than any Warhammer book I've read for ages. (NB. Saving Master of Mankind till i'm away over Xmas).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
This going to be kinda vague but does anybody know of the Warhammer book (It might be 40k or fantasy) that had a giant chaos mutated tree/trent thing that was needed to construct something? I think it was called a trollwood or something. The memory has been bugging me and I can not tell it was real or not.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Demiurge4 posted:

Dalin has known since Criid went off to Gereon. A big part of the second Gereon book is Dalin's internal conflict about his two dads.

Edit: Specifically when Dalin is passed out in the church he has a dream about Caffran warning him about danger and throughout his ordeal he gears Caff's voice keeping him out of danger. After the next book it's heavily implied that it was Soric keeping him safe through his memories.

I figured that it was actually Caffran warning him from beyond, through the Emperor's grace of course. Caff is killed while on moping up duty days after the invasion. Dalin was stuck in that nightmare for weeks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I still lean towards my theory because of how heavy that theme is in Hinserhauz. Abbnet has a habit of foreshadowing things, for example he alludes to Sanian's importance to Milo two books ahead of the Saints return.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Telsa Cola posted:

This going to be kinda vague but does anybody know of the Warhammer book (It might be 40k or fantasy) that had a giant chaos mutated tree/trent thing that was needed to construct something? I think it was called a trollwood or something. The memory has been bugging me and I can not tell it was real or not.

It's in Warhammer fantasy, the book is Wulfrik the Wanderer, and it owns. (Also, the trollwood is probably the original Treant, based on size and location.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I finished reading Only In Death. Hey, abnett wrote a good, non abrupt ending! Sucks for the ghosts that it cost them half the regiment to get a satisfying conclusion though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Soric :smith:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Only In Death is good as all hell but I still hate Abnett for taking Milo away like fifteen fuckings books ago.

Anyway, skipped directly from Betrayer to Master of Mankind and though good, man, what a profoundly loving depressing story. I know it's the Heresy and all and we all knew how it would end years and years ago, but literally watching all of humanity's hopes go up in flames and the Emperor himself not knowing what to do about it and in fact outright telling Diocletes we're all hosed kinda threw me.

The Webway is closed to humans and that was it. Last and only hope and no matter what happens, the warp will eat everyone. What the gently caress, I know it's 40k and all but drat, that's some grimdark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
You guys are killing me with this Soric and Milo business. :arghfist: I'm only on Sabbat Martyr in the Ghost's series.

One question that has been nagging me these past couple of books is: why does the IG follow antiquated local customs when prosecuting a war? A 40 year deadlocked war on Aexe Cardinal, and you let the locals call the shots? Brilliant. Only nobles allowed to use flamers on Herodor? Makes sense, let's go with that.

Why internet? Why?