Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hey that's fuckin' great, how about putting that in spoiler tags for the majority of thread readers who won't be able to see this until tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

DivisionPost posted:

Hey that's fuckin' great, how about putting that in spoiler tags for the majority of thread readers who won't be able to see this until tonight?

i assumed it was vague enough that no one would get their panties in a bunch but ok

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I was loving it up until the last five minutes, and then it felt like the writers were like "Eh, I dunno. Let's maybe do this, and hope nobody asks any questions".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope you assholes watched it past the end credits because there is another scene.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Cripes, I didn't watch after the credits! What did I miss?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

GreenNight posted:

I hope you assholes watched it past the end credits because there is another scene.

I had to record it sometime on Monday and it's not there, unless you are talking about the previews.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The after credits scene:
Camera shows a hand pick up the intact Necronomicon off the floor in the woods.

That's it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

limp_cheese posted:

I had to record it sometime on Monday and it's not there, unless you are talking about the previews.

It was on the Starz on demand. Also I'm talking about the finale, not last weeks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

I kinda feel like the after-credits scene was setting up exactly this. I'm about 90% sure the rusted out Volkswagen appears in the remake.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

God I hope not. That movie was terrible. It was just another generic paint by the numbers modern horror movie that falls apart the second they start over explaining things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's not like the show will turn into the movie. drat man. The actress did a good job.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After reading up some on the production issues I do have to wonder how different the original ending was.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

After reading up some on the production issues I do have to wonder how different the original ending was.

http://www.avclub.com/article/craig-digregorio-leaving-ash-vs-evil-dead-and-orig-247262

Some of what you mentioned.

Robert Tapert sounds like a dick and the show is lesser for getting rid of the showrunner.

Also the alternate finale sounds amazing.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 12, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GreenNight posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/craig-digregorio-leaving-ash-vs-evil-dead-and-orig-247262

Robert Tapert sounds like a dick and the show is lesser for getting rid of the showrunner.

Yeah, the finale was... a bit of a letdown, really, especially the very end (looking forward to the entire town of Elk Grove dying in the next season premiere). That original plan is leaps and bounds better and it's a real disappointment that we didn't get it.

I'm kinda worried we're going to only get two good seasons of this show.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Frankenstyle posted:

God I hope not. That movie was terrible. It was just another generic paint by the numbers modern horror movie that falls apart the second they start over explaining things.

Kelly is the kind of person who should have been the "new Ash" in an evil dead reboot.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Wow, that student girl lasted longer than I thought she would.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm glad they didn't go with the original ending. It sounds awful. Let me save anyone the trouble of clicking the link: Ash has unprotected sex with Kelly's mom, and becomes her father.
No thanks. I like my aging dad super heroes without surrogate snot nosed kids eager to take their place. And no you can't wear that hat Shia Lebeouf god damnit give it back.

Can't wait for season 3. Hopefully with less characters like Baal - a slick talking demon who only communicates in platitudes reminds me too much of Supernatural. Someone hit the nail on the head when they said in previous ED stuff the forces of evil are just loving chaotic and weird.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

GreenNight posted:

Well that's depressing. It sounds like Robert Tapert is out to ruin the show. Every time Tapert comes up on any of the DVD commentaries it's usually Bruce and Sam laughing about how pissy he gets when they'd blow off his bad ideas, so much so that I always wondered why they didn't buy him out since they don't seem to like him beyond being the butt of jokes. Plus with the movies most of what they were mocking him for was him having hissy fits and demanding more nudity in AoD (hence the topless chained slave girl scene) and getting tighter t-shirts for the women in the cast. Rob seems like a bit of a creep, and that's just from what his friends say about him. It's too bad they weren't running interference on him being such a dick on the show.

It's also weird that his augment was "No. you can't do _____, that isn't Evil Dead" when it sounds like his idea of what is "Evil Dead" is pretty much just "show us your tits".

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"BILL?!?" was such a great line. Ash is terrible with names.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

GreenNight posted:

That ending sounds amazing. Leaps and bounds better. This whole season has been amazing side from that wet fart of a finale.

Frankenstyle posted:

Bruce and Sam laughing about how pissy he gets when they'd blow off his bad ideas, so much so that I always wondered why they didn't buy him out since they don't seem to like him beyond being the butt of jokes. Plus with the movies most of what they were mocking him for was him having hissy fits and demanding more nudity in AoD (hence the topless chained slave girl scene) and getting tighter t-shirts for the women in the cast. Rob seems like a bit of a creep, and that's just from what his friends say about him.

Every group of friends has that one guy, sounds like it's Rob here. Isn't he married to Lucy Lawless?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Frankenstyle posted:

Agreed. Even if someone liked it, I don't really imagine it fitting well into this AvEd universe. The tones are so different that it makes no sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ending scene felt weird and out of place to me (to the point I thought Ash was in an illusion caused by the Evil being a dick to him again) and I had no idea about the behind-the-scenes drama/last minute changes. The alternate version sounds like it had good and bad aspects to it too, and I enjoyed most of the episode just fine but it did feel like a bit of a rehash of last season ending in the Cabin as well.

Overall it was a reasonably okay ending to an amazing and fantastic season that surpassed the (great) first season in almost every way. I hope the new showrunner keeps up the quality, I'm glad Lucy Lawless is still going to be around at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No mention that Pablo's resurrection was an homage to the original evil dead poster?

I know the answer is to don't think about it, but the time travel is... inconsistent. Their actions were enough to wipe the cabin off the face of the earth in even their own timeline, but it didn't change the events that took place in the cabin or anything else about the timeline.

Not that I'm expecting perfect temporal mechanics from my Evil Dead show, but that's a pretty glaring oddity.

The behind the scenes stuff is disappointing. Part of me wishes I didn't know about it because now I can't help but be overly critical going forward and be sad about what could have been. Who knows though. Maybe the new showrunner will challenge him just as hard to keep Evil Dead true to what it should be.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Agreed. Even if someone liked it, I don't really imagine it fitting well into this AvEd universe. The tones are so different that it makes no sense.

I think they could do some fun stuff with it. Just because it didn't originally fit in with the Ash Evil Dead universe doesn't mean they couldn't do some great stuff bringing the remake into the next season of the show and having Ash and gang come along and subvert the gently caress out of it to make it fit.

Jerusalem posted:

The ending scene felt weird and out of place to me (to the point I thought Ash was in an illusion caused by the Evil being a dick to him again) and I had no idea about the behind-the-scenes drama/last minute changes. The alternate version sounds like it had good and bad aspects to it too, and I enjoyed most of the episode just fine but it did feel like a bit of a rehash of last season ending in the Cabin as well.

Overall it was a reasonably okay ending to an amazing and fantastic season that surpassed the (great) first season in almost every way. I hope the new showrunner keeps up the quality, I'm glad Lucy Lawless is still going to be around at least.

Yeah, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop in a lot more over the top way during the town's celebration of Ash's heroism at the end.

And I agree about the original, vetoed ending too. Yeah, it had some cool sounding stuff in it, but I really don't feel like having Bill as the season long big bad again, which was going to be what that finale was building up to.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

I agree

And to the poster who called Kelly a snot nosed kid.. have you been watching the same loving show? She's actually awesome.

... the problem isn't that Indiana has a kid, it's that it's Shia loving LaBeouff. Kelly avoids the lovely successor trap by being awesome. And man now I'm really worried about season 3 again, I wish people wouldn't try to fix something that's not broken.

PS: Even by silly time travel NOTHING about the episode made sense in the recut.. why Ba'll, the guy who doesn't like physical combat throws down is kinda stupid, but the fact Ash undoes getting the book, but then, somehow, returns to the present.. and everyone's still dead and now a force ghost joke.. yet his hand regrew so all effects should be cut off.. it's just like "what?" How'd he even get to the future? I thought the finale was a letdown but didn't know why it was below average until this article.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 12, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Frankenstyle posted:

I was loving it up until the last five minutes, and then it felt like the writers were like "Eh, I dunno. Let's maybe do this, and hope nobody asks any questions".

pretty much. That whole victory lap sequence felt like it was supposed to be an illusion given how jarring the transition was.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't really think Kelly is an interesting character, sorry. Since the beginning when it was announced Ash would have sidekicks I was hesitant. It's nice to have someone for him to bounce lines off of, but I didn't really think they were that good or that the character "earned" being in the ED franchise or being a secret kid to Ash.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Jerusalem posted:

The ending scene felt weird and out of place to me (to the point I thought Ash was in an illusion caused by the Evil being a dick to him again)

double nine posted:

That whole victory lap sequence felt like it was supposed to be an illusion given how jarring the transition was.
I was waiting for the reveal, and it never came. Maybe season 3 can open with that? Maybe someone, probably Kelly, realizes all this heroic homecoming poo poo is too good to be true and has to wake them up from it. Here's hoping.

Also, what was the point of going through all of the blood-pact hoopla with Bill if it was totally meaningless and he was free to cheat anyway? Sure, I guess he was just lying... but it just seems like a waste of time to have that scene at all.

The show seemed to be dropping hints that Ash was in a was a stable time loop, meaning that this whole time-travel adventure part of the story had always happened, and that Ash was actually changing nothing. Until the finale, when that was just discarded.

I'm still confused about who Ash drowned in the bathtub. It wasn't Bill, but if it was Bill's illusion, why did it leave the chainsaw for Ash? If it was really Dad, then why did the body disappear? If it was Dad's ghost, Dad wasn't dead yet in the 80s, so that's odd. Also, if it was a ghost of any kind, the supernatural hasn't ever been helpful in the Evil Dead series, so that's still odd.

The fact that Pablo's possessed corpse actually did talk to Ash, and just let him (and the audience) assume it was a hallucination brought on by booze/weed/PCP/despair, that part was clever.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 12, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Robot Hobo posted:

I'm still confused about who Ash drowned in the bathtub.

I'm thinking it was going to turn out that Ash's dad was actually Ash from another timeline or from the future, and that got lost when Tapert decided to undermine the conclusion to the entire season by cutting the whole story and saying "gently caress it".

I'm even more disappointed after a re-watch. All those little moments of foreshadowing sprinkled through great season, and it all gets poo poo-canned because of one guys ego. And a re-watch really makes you notice that almost nothing that happens in the finale as is made any sort of sense even based on crazy Evil Dead logic. It felt like watching the last episode of Penny Dreadful or the last season of Deep Space Nine. All you can do it sit there with your mouth hanging open and thinking, "Well...at least I'll save a few bucks since I don't need to buy the box sets".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The ending was jarring, but using the worse of two or more endings is Evil Dead as gently caress.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some one brought this up earlier and it remains true

The 'problem' with Evil Dead 2013 is that it was a bunch of normal people dealing with Deadites. You don't act like a normal person and fight deadites- that's when the Evil gets bored with you and you are worthless.

If you want to fight the Deadites, you have to go full three stooges with it, which Ash's rematch with Henrietta showed in full force.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The season remains solid even if parts of the finale were weird----I look forward to a team up of Evil Ruby and Evil Ash for the next season from the looks of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought the finale was fine, although the ending did feel like you were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sure, not much made sense but when does it in this franchise? The criticisms feel motivated by the news of production drama rather than the news being an answer to natural criticisms. Like, I kind of like the idea of that is original ending but when that guy says the finale "didn't feel like Evil Dead" I concluded he was probably as stubbornly blind as the other guy. Because that was a perfectly fine Evil Dead episode even if it wasn't the one he wanted and arguably not the best possible.

I'm sure the shoe will drop in S3. The Kelly idea is interesting but I'm not going to cry over it not being so. IF that tease was Mia then it doesn't matter what people think of the original since its not like the show will turn into it. At most they'll just drag Mia into this world and MAYBE Jane Leavy, which would be great because shes pretty cool from what I've seen her in. But I'm guessing that's a stretch so I'm content to just wait and see.

I enjoyed things.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here, have a welcome distraction from this debate:

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/808038422749315075

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I hope they find ways to squeeze Ted Raimi back into the show next season. I guess I should be grateful for what we got, since Chet was the deadmeatiest of deadmeat characters.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I liked the finale. I thought it was better than the first season's, which just felt very anticlimactic. Fistfighting with Baal seemed like a very Ash thing to do.

The whole celebration scene at the end felt very S-mart ending of AoD, which is fine, too. All season long I thought the interaction between Ash and the town/inhabitants was supposed to be very outlandish/cartoony and feeling very "off", and nothing about that ending contradicted that treatment.

That AVClub article makes things sound sort of disappointing, but it doesn't really bother me that they (for the time being at least) won't be doing "time travel shenanigans and Ash is Kelly's dad!!" The showrunner may have been dropping all those hints and trying to work up to that, but I think it's sort of selling Kelly short. I think her just sort of picking up Ash's mantle (someone's life totally upended by the Deadites and she's good at fighting Evil) is good without being too on-the-nose with "She's his kid!"

Anyhow, that was a great season. Looking forward to the next one!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I was confused by the ending not turning out to be a fake out mainly because of the woman who had just lost her husband and daughter deciding to be on the podium and make out with Ash like he was the one who'd been through the worst of it. Also, they didn't make it clear that if the past changed so Ash never went into the cabin, how did they go back to a future where the events of the season all happened exactly the same? He should have never been Ashy Slashy in the first place.

I mean, yeah, news of the creative drama helps fuel criticisms of the finale, but I still think it's valid to call out the problems. Just from a writing perspective, that producer should have realized how dumb it was to build up how awful a time paradox would be and how Ash will inevitably gently caress it up, only to completely drop that thread. That's just bad writing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes no real sense since Ash never finding the book should mean Ash never became what he is, Kelly's parents are alive and well, and Pablo's just some stock boy with a crush on his coworker. And yeah, lady who seems to not much care about her daughter having just died.

But again, when has Evil Dead ever really made any sense?

And, I mean, I guess there's theoretically some timey wimey explanation for how this stuff all still played out just in a different way or Ash, Kelly, and Pablo are removed from it it since they did the time traveling or the lady never had a daughter in this timeline or something. But do we really want that poo poo with Evil Dead?

I don't know. I guess I just decided to turn my brain off when Ash Williams is on the screen sometime around Army of Darkness. Its just mindless fun in my book. Which is why if the original ending had happened and Ash had banged Kelly's mom and become her dad I would have rolled my eyes a little but just gone with it because Ash said something funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

STAC Goat posted:

The criticisms feel motivated by the news of production drama rather than the news being an answer to natural criticisms.

I literally knew nothing about the production drama until after I watched the finale. Like I said earlier, I still enjoyed the episode but it felt very distinct from the entire rest of the season which was out-of-this-world good.

• Locked thread