Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone that hasn't played the game needs to see the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

0:53 made me snort my coffee. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Welp time for my yearly dark messiah reinstall

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Welp time for my yearly dark messiah reinstall

I can't get it to work on Windows 7 :negative:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Very close to the end of Pitfall now, just trying to get all the pickups - 5 are locked behind minigames that you need to clear but happily 1) they're all in one place, the native village, and 2) They use mechanics that you were using anyway - they just make you get drat good at them, like Raft Bowling where you need to aim yourself down a small stream on your liferaft and score 150 points in 10 rides, the main challenge there is controlling your position as in later levels of that challenge the rapids start angling so you need to fight them to get in the correct position. The one that I've done all three levels of and got the prize in, Wack-a-Mole, was the most annoying so far, because the second and third levels are against opponents - hit 10 before they do. However they aren't competing against all of their opponents - in the final level with 2 other guys they just work together to constantly knock you away - they don't care which of them wins, as long as you lose, so it is really frustrating.

I always prefer these kinds of minigames though as they are a natural extension of the core mechanics in a way that feels like you can get good at them, and apply the same skills elsewhere as well.

Also, some areas are completely optional, existing only to hide a few collectibles behind a small platforming challenge or the like, all so far being behind walls that you need the TNT (the final powerup) to destroy. I like that as it gives a good sense of discovery :)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Dec 11, 2016

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In dishonored 2 i overhears a guars telling another how he missed swimming, and how he used to be really good at it. While trying to knock him unconscious i accidentally nudged him into the water.

He drowned.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

BioEnchanted's love of 10 year-old movie cash-in games from before developers put any effort into licensed properties whatsoever is actually incredibly endearing and one of the best parts of the thread.

Has bio played the best and most effort-full licensed game, Enter the Matrix?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I played that until the driving level but always got stuck.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The sheer amount of incidental dialogue in the new Hitman is amazing. As far as I can tell, every line of dialogue in the game from the NPCs around you has variances for all the different disguises. Walking around as a stylist at the fashion show will have guards ask you if you can give them a haircut after their shift, random civilians will ask for refills if you're dressed as a waiter, trying to enter a couple different restricted areas as a gardener led to both "look, I got a lot of respect for a working man, but I can't let you through here" and "sorry, we've got a strict 'no gardeners' policy, get lost." Civilians will even report exactly what you're doing and what you're wearing to the guards when they report a crime they see you committing, like "there's a lunatic dressed as a soldier going around strangling people!"

It's really amazing how much time and thought was put into it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

For awhile I bought Bad Games just because they were cheap and for novelty. Bio you should try Raw Danger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have played SOS: final escape aka Disaster Report (island falling apart due to earthquake) and enjoyed it, keep meaning to get around to Raw Danger.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Internet Wizard posted:

That happens in Skyrim, too. There's a quest in the first little town you get to, Riverwood, that sends you into a cave to recover a golden dragon's claw that was stolen. If you happened to go into that cave for other reasons, like just wandering around and exploring, you actually can't get through that dungeon without getting the claw on your way through.

Skyrim's good for things like that. You can recover the amulet of Talos from the executed guy and when the quest comes up...

Sister: Can you recover my brother's amulet? It means so much to me.
Hero: Actually, I've already scavenged the amulet from your brother's corpse. Here you go!
Sister: :what:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I unironically enjoyed that along with the Gamecube version of Minority Report and the Xbox version of that Jason Bourne game.

Bio please play those and give us your thoughts? I'd love to see those through modern eyes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Feonir posted:

Going back to before Dishonored this was Dark Messiah, and I really miss the kicking from it. There was so many little touches you could do to mooks in the game.
Arkane Studios are quite a bunch. Their first game was Arx Fatalis, which I personally haven't played, but I have basically never heard anything but praise for it. Then they made Dark Messiah, which I've gone through like four times because god drat it's a masterpiece. Then they made Dishonoured and its sequel which are also loving outstanding, and next up they have the new Prey coming out which, by the gameplay video they've released, also seems rad as all loving getout. They really have this creative first-person action thing locked down.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

May look into those, I own the Matrix game and the other two I can probably find cheap. Matrix game is likely one I'll cheat on because my god that Driving level is bad. In other news I'm 97% of the way through Pitfall. Just need to make my way to El Dorado for the final boss. Didn't mind the get-captured-and-lose-all-your-poo poo stealth level because enemies stayed dead, so once I had my slingshot all I had to do was charge it and murder everyone :evil:.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention one of the jokes actually got a good payoff - Harry has been kinda a pain in the rear end to Nicole due to his obnoxious behaviour, and just as he's entering the final temple he offers her the idea that if he doesn't survive the trial she might have regrets about not kissing him. She approaches him tenderly as he closes his eyes and prepares - she pulls in close, whispers "In. your. dreams." and literally spins him around and kicks in through the threshold into the temple. He got owned.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Dec 11, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

May look into those, I own the Matrix game and the other two I can probably find cheap. Matrix game is likely one I'll cheat on because my god that Driving level is bad. In other news I'm 97% of the way through Pitfall. Just need to make my way to El Dorado for the final boss. Didn't mind the get-captured-and-lose-all-your-poo poo stealth level because enemies stayed dead, so once I had my slingshot all I had to do was charge it and murder everyone :evil:.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention one of the jokes actually got a good payoff - Harry has been kinda a pain in the rear end to Nicole due to his obnoxious behaviour, and just as he's entering the final temple he offers her the idea that if he doesn't survive the trial she might have regrets about not kissing him. She approaches him tenderly as he closes his eyes and prepares - she pulls in close, whispers "In. your. dreams." and literally spins him around and kicks in through the threshold into the temple. He got owned.

If you want more good PS2/Xbox shooters that were sleeper hits Metal Arms: Glitch in the System and Rogue Trooper are both awesome.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well in the meantime I'm just gonna ride into history, through Terra Incognita to a golden shrine (because I on the Road to El Dorado :v:).

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Nordick posted:

Arkane Studios are quite a bunch. Their first game was Arx Fatalis, which I personally haven't played, but I have basically never heard anything but praise for it. Then they made Dark Messiah, which I've gone through like four times because god drat it's a masterpiece. Then they made Dishonoured and its sequel which are also loving outstanding, and next up they have the new Prey coming out which, by the gameplay video they've released, also seems rad as all loving getout. They really have this creative first-person action thing locked down.

Of all the games that deserves a silly remastering and re-release it is Dark Messiah. I need some high def bootmage action.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

May look into those, I own the Matrix game and the other two I can probably find cheap. Matrix game is likely one I'll cheat on because my god that Driving level is bad.

IMO it's a fun gane to play with a few friends so you can laugh at how silly and broken the game is. I highly recommend playing the DOS minigame and the multiplayer versus mode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've actually recorded the opening of Ghost Hunter (up till the swamp) for an upcoming LP in January but it's sloppily played because I'd forgotten just how awkward the controls were, so on and off I'll probably be practicing until I get the hang of it during December. I just want to show this one off because I love the villain's voice acting, Michael Gambon is the guy behind him. "I'm a genie... trapped for too long in a rancid bottle..." sounds so good delivered by him. Although past a certain point the invincibility cheat will go on and stay on because the game gets a bit too hard for it's controls about halfway through.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Dec 11, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nordick posted:

Arx Fatalis

The crafting system in Arx Fatalis was kind of cool because it involved placing items in the actual game world. Like, to bake a loaf of bread you would combine flower and a vial of water in your inventory to create dough and then drop the dough near a fire and then wait until it had cooked. Same for turning raw meat into cooked food.

It's a shame that the mouse gesture system for casting magic was kind of garbage and the game as a whole was pretty glitchy and rough, because even playing it for the first time a few years ago it was really interesting and unique.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jojoinnit posted:

I unironically enjoyed that along with the Gamecube version of Minority Report and the Xbox version of that Jason Bourne game.

Bio please play those and give us your thoughts? I'd love to see those through modern eyes.

I have wanted to play Minority Report: the Game soo bad. it's got jetpacks and rear end in a top hat physics and goofy death wails.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The crafting system in Arx Fatalis was kind of cool because it involved placing items in the actual game world. Like, to bake a loaf of bread you would combine flower and a vial of water in your inventory to create dough and then drop the dough near a fire and then wait until it had cooked. Same for turning raw meat into cooked food.

Isn't that literally Runescape mechanically :v:?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

Isn't that literally Runescape mechanically :v:?

I dunno, I was a Neopets kid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trap sprung

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feonir posted:

Of all the games that deserves a silly remastering and re-release it is Dark Messiah. I need some high def bootmage action.

IIRC there was a console version of the game but it cut down the skill tree stuff where you just chose what you wanted and instead gave the game a class based system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Action Tortoise posted:

I have wanted to play Minority Report: the Game soo bad. it's got jetpacks and rear end in a top hat physics and goofy death wails.

Don't. I HAVE played it and I'm telling you you're happier not inflicting that mess upon yourself.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't. I HAVE played it and I'm telling you you're happier not inflicting that mess upon yourself.

I had loads of fun with it :kiddo:

Will admit to being the dumb kid who also found value in the N64 Mission Impossible game so maybe I've just got a blind spot for licensed Tom Cruise properties (That's he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to let feature his face or voice so we always end up with "not quite Ethan Hawkes but kinda if you squint").

E: This video sums it up well. I can see how it looks stale in retrospect but there's a lot of rear end in a top hat physics, a lot of breakable things to throw people through and off, plus the jetpack. Cut straight to 1:53 to see some awesome swing-fu too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhBaPp9LAus

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Dec 12, 2016

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

Will admit to being the dumb kid who also found value in the N64 Mission Impossible game so maybe I've just got a blind spot for licensed Tom Cruise properties (That's he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to let feature his face or voice so we always end up with "not quite Ethan Hawkes but kinda if you squint").

Are you sure it isn't "Tom Cruise is WAY too expensive for this poo poo"? That makes more sense than just refusing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is indeed what happened.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Are you sure it isn't "Tom Cruise is WAY too expensive for this poo poo"? That makes more sense than just refusing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is indeed what happened.

No, he straight up has always refused to let his likeness be attached to a video game. Maybe it's a scientology thing, I dunno.

Old article from MTV (don't laugh) posted:

The common link between both movies isn't just the studio behind them, but their star: Tom Cruise. He has never appeared in a video game or even on the box art for a game, neither for 1987's "Top Gun" NES game nor the 2006 game based on the same movie, not for the one "Mission: Impossible" game released since Cruise began starring in the movie series, and not in 2002's "Minority Report."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1529606/video-games-are-one-mission-tom-cruise-wont-accept/

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

but...rear end in a top hat physics

jojoinnit posted:

E: This video sums it up well. I can see how it looks stale in retrospect but there's a lot of rear end in a top hat physics, a lot of breakable things to throw people through and off, plus the jetpack. Cut straight to 1:53 to see some awesome swing-fu too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhBaPp9LAus

have you tried the Mission:Impossible : Operation Surma on the Xbox? I've only tried the demo but I liked it as a basic stealth game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

but...rear end in a top hat physics

have you tried the Mission:Impossible : Operation Surma on the Xbox? I've only tried the demo but I liked it as a basic stealth game.

No I never had an Xbox until the 360. Wiki tells me it's officially worse than the n64 game which while it wasn't a great game had enough little well done things (eg. level design and the face mask integration) that I found it an enjoyable game which fits the tone of this thread. (I'm trying to not cause an actual derail into discussing crappy movie tie-in games in general and more into the type of overlooked but little gameplay things that make it worth discussing as per BioEnchanteds Pitfall experience).

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Christmas mode in Tyrian 2000 :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The sheer amount of incidental dialogue in the new Hitman is amazing. As far as I can tell, every line of dialogue in the game from the NPCs around you has variances for all the different disguises. Walking around as a stylist at the fashion show will have guards ask you if you can give them a haircut after their shift, random civilians will ask for refills if you're dressed as a waiter, trying to enter a couple different restricted areas as a gardener led to both "look, I got a lot of respect for a working man, but I can't let you through here" and "sorry, we've got a strict 'no gardeners' policy, get lost." Civilians will even report exactly what you're doing and what you're wearing to the guards when they report a crime they see you committing, like "there's a lunatic dressed as a soldier going around strangling people!"

It's really amazing how much time and thought was put into it

Hitman 2016 also differentiates between if someone catches you killing someone and hiding the body, or simply just trying to hide it. I killed a chef and went to hide the body, and another chef came in and went to find a guard, but not before commenting on how gross and weird it was that I was trying to touch a dead guy. I didn't actually get in trouble for it because no one saw me kill the dude or do anything besides be a creeper. It's a real edge case (you'll almost always just trigger an alert instead) but it's great that they put in something for it.

Also in Marrakesh someone saw me slide down a pipe and they wondered out loud if I was a drug fiend looking to sell my rear end for some hash. :haw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

IIRC the issue with Cruise and games is that he's a huge control freak and in a game he doesn't have the level of control that he requires for movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fallout 4:

As with all Bethesda games, it's impossible to tell what is a bug and what's an elegant bit of AI.
If you kill someone with stealth and stand close to the corpse when a member of the victim's faction walks by, they will attack you if your weapon is drawn but may ignore you and comment of the body if your weapon is sheathed.

I've been attacked with my weapon stowed so maybe they were a group that were not hostile but... on edge?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I was attacked on sight by a Diamond City guard and I cannot blame him for jumping to that conclusion.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Pitfall the Lost Expedition as yet another game that Moominbiscuit got me interested in via his old vids and being a metroidvania it has the old thing of "come back with new powers", but unlike a lot of games of this type it actually marks on the map where you need to return to, so far with a number of marks matching the number of obstacles. The map zooms in to a series of nodes representing the levels with dotted lines joining them, and an incomplete level, when fully explored, looks kind of like this on the map:

I played this on the PS2 about 10 years ago. I thought it was a very competently made and enjoyable game. It's a shame it didn't become a franchise.

I think its still a great sounding game. The music especially with the pan flutes, chanting and bongo drums. Cartoonish Tomb Raider is still a pretty novel setting for a genre dominated by animal mascot sidekicks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the first time in a while, and I love that when you get to the secret Illuminati media manipulation base there's emails complaining about the amount of money spent on ominous sculptures. "Do we really need that stone hand squeezing the globe right in the lobby? We're not Bond villains! At least I know where my bonus money went this year..."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jojoinnit posted:

No, he straight up has always refused to let his likeness be attached to a video game. Maybe it's a scientology thing, I dunno.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1529606/video-games-are-one-mission-tom-cruise-wont-accept/

Tom Cruise is in Lego dimensions. There's a Mission Impossible level that uses voice clips from the first movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the issue with Cruise and games is that he's a huge control freak and in a game he doesn't have the level of control that he requires for movies.

It's a bit of a mystery, still. I've seen it attributed to his dislike of endorsements, some scientology BS, control freak tendencies and simply not being OK with being 'controlled' by strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Cloks posted:

Tom Cruise is in Lego dimensions. There's a Mission Impossible level that uses voice clips from the first movie.

There's probably a thing where the Lego version of him doesn't need him to sign off on it since it isn't directly his likeness, it would be the studio licensing the character itself which the use of audio clips seems to support.

That aside, that sounds awesome. I've not paid much attention to the Lego games since one of the earlier Lego Star Wars.