Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

n8r posted:

He starts crawling and just drags his foot out of the boot. Any suggestions on some sort of cold weather appropriate footwear that he won't immediate drag off?

You're as tight as it'll go? Can you put the boot inside the snow pants?

Our snow pants have some sort of "boot" thing that buttons to the pants. But when we put him in real boots, we put the boots inside the pants. If necessary we could probably try tying the snowapants to the boot in some way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If they don't have it, attach a strap to the pants that goes under the bottom of the boot and holds it on.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Forgive me if this is a commonly discussed issue here, but I had to get some opinions.

My wife posted on Facebook about forgetting to move the Elf on the Shelf before she went to bed. Other parents who have done the same and some who have come up with little reminder tricks so they don't forget it also posted. My wife's cousin replied along the lines of, "Oh no I've got kids who still believe and read Facebook."

The ages? The youngest is six. No problem there, he's not too old to indulge that fantasy and he almost certainly isn't reading Facebook. The oldest is 16, no problem there. The "kids" in question? 13 and 11.

I know there is no magic number for developmental milestones, but usually there's a zone where you feel safe drawing a line. I thought 11 and 13 were nested safely in that zone.

So my question is, are my wife and I insensitive or crazy? What age would you feel pretty damned safe discussing such an issue without fear of revealing the horrible truth?

I'm 35 and to this day I have never seen santa fill the stockings at my mother's house

It's also weird how my mom always stays up late on Christmas Eve but has never seen santa

What I'm saying is don't let age rid you (or your kids) of your youth - if they want to play along then who cares? The game with my mother is that I now see how long she'll stay up before giving me the stink eye til I go to bed. Neither one of us has ever explicitly brought it up. If my oldest son ever straight up asks me I'm not going to try to sell him one way or another, but I will keep leaving gifts from santa. Trying to maintain the illusion longer than he wants to is just as silly, to me, as killing it early, although if he decides he doesn't want to roll with it any more I'll probably ask him to (try to) let his younger brother make up his own mind when he's ready.

Obviously even if they do know they know they are continuing with the charade on purpose either because they enjoy it or they think you do.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My kids have known for a couple years now, they know that what gets put in their stockings each year is from "Santa" just the same way that the box of Turtles candy I get each year is from "Santa"- even though somehow that particular gift always comes in the pile of gifts from Nonna and Poppa, is wrapped in the same paper as the other gifts they brought, and Santa has the same handwriting as Nonna.

It was actually that particular gift that tipped off my youngest finally. When she asked the "Is Santa real" question and I reflected it back at her she basically said "I think you're my Santa the same way Nonna is your Santa".

Even when they were small, I never objectively told the kids that characters like Santa and the Tooth Fairy were real, it's just they're so omnipresent in our culture that they're going to see and hear about them everywhere and it's easier to just let them believe and not pop that bubble. Being a kid is pretty much the only time it's OK to engage in magical thinking, I'm not going to ruin that part of childhood.

e: I forgot to add though, that I think elf on a shelf is creepy and weird and I just can't wrap my head around it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I remember figuring it out randomly one evening. I cried for a short bit and that was it. If my son wants to believe in Santa, that's fine. I'm not gonna bust his bubble. I just won't force it any longer than he wants. My parents kinda kept it going for a year or two more but it was always a :airquote: It's from Santa :airquote: deal.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My daughter thinks Santa is amazing. We are not perpetuating anything, she just thinks he's a white bearded dude who wears red.

She does think all Santa's are oiyois, which is the phonetic pronunciation of what she declares her doll to be.

Speaking of, what is up with that? It seems like she has a secret pronunciation for one word and it just sticks? She can even say the word doll and understands what a doll is, but will always say oiyoiyoi first on preference which something like a yodel and the YouTube cat video where the cat sounds like it says oh long Johnson. I don't mind it, I simply find out hilarious and am curious how common it is?

YouTube: https://youtu.be/kkwiQmGWK4c

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My son is 5 and he is a very literal kid. He has warmed up to it now but when he was smaller he would actually get really frustrated with certain kinds of make-believe because it was clashing with what he knew was true (like pretending dirt is food - he would happily serve you a plate of dirt, but would diligently correct anyone who tried to say it was cake/a sandwich/etc.) It's hard to pry without basically tipping him off, but at this point I think that he believes that Santa is real, because he has heard people talk about him and he saw 'Santa' at the local Christmas tree lighting. But he seems to just think that Santa is literally just an old guy who dresses in red and gives people presents. We do an activity advent calendar in December with envelopes and a specific thing to do, like 'listen to Christmas carols' or 'read a christmas story' and one of those was 'write a letter to santa'. He didn't want to ask Santa for anything because he has very specific gifts in mind (as in, he wants a very specific truck he has been coveting for months, not just 'a truck') and he doesn't think that Santa will know the right truck to get him if he just tries to write it down. Which is a very logical concern to have if you just think that Santa is a some generous guy and not a magically inspired creature who divines your heart's true wish.

I am guessing that the more exposure he gets to the idea of Santa the faster he is going to work it out, because there is no way he is going to buy the more fantastical elements.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Sounds like some of your kids could use a Well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONhk-hbiXk

I kid, I kid.

I'm enjoying the last Christmas we're going to have where little man doesn't know what is going on. I'm sure just past 2 years old we're going to have a strong understanding of GIVE ME THINGS.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

n8r posted:

I have an 11 month old that is a very active crawler and cruiser/occasional walker. We just got him a snow suit and we need some sort of shoe/boot to go with it. I just took a flyer on a random pair of fairly similar to this:
http://imgur.com/a/4RRdA

He starts crawling and just drags his foot out of the boot. Any suggestions on some sort of cold weather appropriate footwear that he won't immediate drag off?

Our kiddo was 8 months old for his first winter and crawling so we just used the fold over part of the snowsuit that covered his feet and hands and kept them warm and dry.
Last year he was walking and we went with Stonz Booties. He was able to crawl around in them too. We got some for his friend too and she's using his pair from last year for this year. They both loved them and they stayed on easy and well. Made by Canadians so good for seriously cold places if you get the linerz too.

ETA: You can also wear the Stonz booties over normal shoes. Which is a very nice feature.

http://www.stonzwear.com/EN-US/STORE/Shop-Booties/Department.aspx

fyi, I bought them on 6pm.com for a significantly cheaper price. Worth a check.

Tom Swift Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 6, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I actually showed that to my wife yesterday because yea, that hits pretty close to my son. :v:

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

I hate the elf on the shelf! It is completely contrived and just a well-marketed fake tradition that is sadly becoming common place. It teaches kids that surveillance is normal and okay and it teaches them to be extrinsically motivated to do good. I also don't like it when people do the be good or santa won't bring you presents aspect of santa for the same reason. I know, I'm a grinch. I do like the magic of santa and the idea of giving, but I don't like lying to my kid... We decided to not push it, but let it come up naturally. We do watch and love holiday movies, including those featuring santa. He's also met santa at the mall and on a train. However, my logical child is the same as his parents who never believed in santa as kids. He's 2 1/2 and I asked him if santa was real or pretend to see what he thinks and he didn't skip a beat, "pretend!" That being said, I'm totally okay with perpetuating the positive ideas of santa: the spirit of giving, bringing joy to all kids, believing in magic, etc.

On another note, I survived my 2-week, cross-country trip by myself with the little guy. So glad to be home. He did great on the airplane. We had an awful experience at SeaTac airport, that culminated in him bolting from me in the security line because he had already been waiting in lines for an hour and half at that point... I ended up renting a cares harness from rentcares.com . There was a lot of turbulence on our return flight, so I'm glad I did that. The rental process was simple and reasonably priced. The harness itself was easy to install and he was able to sleep just fine in it. I did have problems with him sliding down the seat. I had thought I had packed a piece of grippy shelf liner to keep that from happening, but it had somehow made its way out of my bag at home. It would have solved that problem, so I will be certain I have it next time we fly (he'd have that problem with the regular lapbelt too). He grew 2 inches while we were on our trip and is now too tall for the CARES, so we won't be using it again, but if he weren't too tall, I would choose it again. Next time, I'll have to bring the car seat for the plane, unless he hits the 40 lb mark before then (he's currently at 33 lbs).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Our kiddo was 8 months old for his first winter and crawling so we just used the fold over part of the snowsuit that covered his feet and hands and kept them warm and dry.
Last year he was walking and we went with Stonz Booties. He was able to crawl around in them too. We got some for his friend too and she's using his pair from last year for this year. They both loved them and they stayed on easy and well. Made by Canadians so good for seriously cold places if you get the linerz too.

ETA: You can also wear the Stonz booties over normal shoes. Which is a very nice feature.

http://www.stonzwear.com/EN-US/STORE/Shop-Booties/Department.aspx

fyi, I bought them on 6pm.com for a significantly cheaper price. Worth a check.

Thanks - this looks closer to what he needs. Maybe he can ask for those for X-mas from the grandparents.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Can kids really grow 2" in two weeks after their first year? That's... alarming

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

I was shocked by how much he grew, but I had measured him at 38" less than a week before we left and I had to take him to the doctor while we were on the trip (poor kid got bronchitis) and he measured somewhere between 40 1/2 and 41" (he's not so good at holding still), so with his boots on he was at least 40". Everyone kept saying that they swore he'd grown since we got there and he certainly had. He tends to grow in huge spurts and is off the charts for height. My mother had a 7' tall uncle...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
2 years 4 months. She used to be a great little sleeper but is totally regressing. Well in the sense that going to bed is a nightmare scenario. At 9:30/10pm she's wired full throttle. She stops getting any juice at around 6 and even then it's mostly water with a little juice mixed in. Nothing else sugary in her. She's just a total play machine. Granted she's kind of always been like this. Never been the one to fall asleep just anywhere. Only bedtime and nap time. Now she doesn't even nap anymore at home (she does at daycare).

We have her crib converted to toddler bed so getting her to remain in there voluntarily is a nightmare. Whereas it used to take 10 minutes to get her to sleep it's now about 90 minutes if you're lucky.

And then she wakes up at 4 am and comes in our room and won't go back to sleep.

I'm not sure why I'm typing this... we're just at our wits end and causing a lot of stress between my wife and me because oh she's also int he "mommy only" phase for 6 months now and dad can't do ANYTHING or it's a meltdown. Oh and we're also in the "Imma-do-it" phase for about 4 months now and you can't do anything for her. D

I guess I'm just venting. Somebody tell me it gets better :(.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is there some place you could take to her to run her rear end ragged? A park or similar?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FunOne posted:

Is there some place you could take to her to run her rear end ragged? A park or similar?

Well it's dark by the time we get off from work and pick her up from daycare so a park is out of the question and most of the museums here close at, like, 6 on weekdays.

I guess I could take her to the mall or something and let her run around but that's certainly not really an everyday option.

I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt or something.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Could she be overtired? Alternatively, can you ask daycare to drop her nap there? My two and a half year old is also in a mommy only phase right now (and a sleep regression). As a family, we're pretty attachment oriented but I have zero issues letting him scream at his dad for a while, who loves him and is there to support him so I can get a break (I'm also 17 weeks pregnant).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

2 years 4 months. She used to be a great little sleeper but is totally regressing. Well in the sense that going to bed is a nightmare scenario. At 9:30/10pm she's wired full throttle. She stops getting any juice at around 6 and even then it's mostly water with a little juice mixed in. Nothing else sugary in her. She's just a total play machine. Granted she's kind of always been like this. Never been the one to fall asleep just anywhere. Only bedtime and nap time. Now she doesn't even nap anymore at home (she does at daycare).

We have her crib converted to toddler bed so getting her to remain in there voluntarily is a nightmare. Whereas it used to take 10 minutes to get her to sleep it's now about 90 minutes if you're lucky.

I'm not sure why I'm typing this... we're just at our wits end and causing a lot of stress between my wife and me because oh she's also int he "mommy only" phase for 6 months now and dad can't do ANYTHING or it's a meltdown. Oh and we're also in the "Imma-do-it" phase for about 4 months now and you can't do anything for her. D

My 2.5 year old did the same thing a couple of months ago. It sucks. It's a phase. It'll get better.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Thwomp posted:

My 2.5 year old did the same thing a couple of months ago. It sucks. It's a phase. It'll get better.

Parenting Megathread: It's just a phase.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does anyone have any resources for going a bit more into the ASL stuff beyond simple vocab? Any shows or anything where the characters sign?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My 2.5 year old sleeps super super well after taking her to swim. Do you have an indoor pool? Mine doesn't nap either if she hasn't been physically or mentally worn out.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Has she always gone to bed that late? Our oldest is only 25 months, but she is in her crib by 7:30, usually asleep by 8. Then up between 6:30 and 7 typically.

In fact maybe she's just an odd one? I'll go to the grocery store or mall or whatever after she is sleeping and I see all these little kids there and just think, "shouldn't they be sleeping?"

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

BonoMan posted:

She sounds an awful like my 2 1/2 year old son. He gets more energized the more tired he gets and he is also an early riser and stubborn. We had similar difficulties, but after some changes, we've been doing really well. It sounds like she is really sleep deprived and stuck in the sleep deprivation cycle. Sleep begets sleep, and less sleep begets less sleep... A child at her age needs 10-12 hours of sleep total/day.

Since she is an early riser and nothing is changing that, you need to move bedtime back to something more like 7-8pm. That should allow her to net at least the minimum 10 hours needed. You will also probably find bedtime easier because she won't be so overtired that she's fighting it. Sleep training with 10 minute wait and checks works well at bedtime. Keep doing it until she falls asleep alone. You will have success. Our son is especially stubborn so it took a few weeks, but most kids get it in a few days.

She likely needs naps still. Culturally, we've been moving towards dropping naps at younger and younger ages, but science is showing that most kids still need them until 4-5 years of age. Naps was a challenge for us, until I finally figured out a strategy that works. Use your same routine for bedtime (we always read the same story, sing the same song, and say the same goodnight phrases as kids like this really need strong sleep cues). Let her do whatever she wants in her room while you go through the story and song, but make her lay down and tuck her in for the goodnight phrases. Kids like this need that chance to get the energy out and ease into settling down. Lay down in the bed or next to it for toddler bed while you are saying the story and song and stay with her until she falls asleep. Allow her to wiggle, talk to herself, sing whatever as long as she is laying down. If she is not asleep after 10 minutes then she needs help settling her body. A simple arm over the torso does the trick. She may fight it. Just tell her she's having trouble falling asleep on her own so you need to help her. The trick is to have your arm over her torso in that sweet spot that makes it so she can't get up, keep your arm steady, but allow her enough room to wiggle if she's fighting it. The pressure of the hug (if she's not fighting it) or the pressure of her wiggling her body against your arm (if she is fighting it) will actually help to calm her nervous system. For my son, fighting it only lasted a minute or two and then he'd lay quietly and go right to sleep. Pay attention to the timing of the nap too. It should be about 6 hours after she wakes up in the morning. I find if I'm late on that then my kiddo fights it or has a harder time falling asleep. Now, he mostly goes to sleep without my help or he asks for the snuggle (as I call it) when he wants help. I rarely have to help him anymore, but I had to a lot at first because he had fallen into such a big sleep debt like your daughter. I do have to lay with him at nap time. He simply can't simply can't settle down without my presence and usually wiggles like mad, pressing up against my side and singing until he is suddenly quiet and still and asleep. It's pretty funny. Anyway, nap and bedtime are now pleasant and easy. It just took us a long time to really figure out what he needed to get there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for all the info! The rising early thing was just a few times so that's not a normal thing. She typically sleeps from 8/8:30 until I wake her up at about 7:15 to start getting ready for daycare (and then 2 hour nap at daycare).

She used to go to sleep at about 8 but now we start the process at like 7:30 and she just fights us the whole way until she tires herself out. We just realized she's getting a new tooth so maybe it's just causing a stressful phase for her.

She's been a great sleeper her whole life so I'm really hoping it's just a hiccup. But I'll start trying your tactics!

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for all the info! The rising early thing was just a few times so that's not a normal thing. She typically sleeps from 8/8:30 until I wake her up at about 7:15 to start getting ready for daycare (and then 2 hour nap at daycare).

She used to go to sleep at about 8 but now we start the process at like 7:30 and she just fights us the whole way until she tires herself out. We just realized she's getting a new tooth so maybe it's just causing a stressful phase for her.

She's been a great sleeper her whole life so I'm really hoping it's just a hiccup. But I'll start trying your tactics!

It probably is related to the tooth. Stick to your routines and she should fall right back into things soon. You're very lucky she isn't a regular early riser. 6:30 is sleeping in for our kiddo, he's often up at 5:30. It's absolutely terrible. We tried every strategy under the sun to get him to sleep later, but he is just an early riser. At least he's making it to 6 most days...some months we were lucky to get him to sleep til 5! He even has blackout shades. Somehow, his body knows that sun is coming up.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Does anyone have any resources for going a bit more into the ASL stuff beyond simple vocab? Any shows or anything where the characters sign?

Just google everyday words and do them, given your kids age is the same as most of us in this thread he'll probably pick up the words instantly.

So, food words, emotions, verbs etc. Most of the results from googling phrases such as "asl cake" , specifically ones that are from babysignlanguage.com are actual ASL and not kid adopted ASL and do include videos.

Catch is your toddler has their own language and therefore will modify signs to fit how they chose to do a particular sign.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I recently read a peer-reviewed paper about the differences between scheduled and on-demand feeding, and the paper opens with how they might be publishing the first actual study on this despite several books alleging that scheduled feedings are superior for cognitive development. Naturally, they found no difference when they tried to study this unsupported idea. This got me thinking about other things that we all read in baby books that might be completely unproven or based on flimsy or misinterpreted evidence. Exclusive breastfeeding seems like one of those ideas that is possibly also unsubstantiated.

Has anyone already done this legwork? Note that I am interested in the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding vs breastfeeding while supplementing with formula or pumped breastmilk. My guess would be that you reach a point of diminishing returns with exclusive breastfeeding and that supplementing at that point makes no significant difference, but I would like to see proof one way or the other

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Here you go:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/04/the-case-against-breast-feeding/307311/

I need a recommendation for convertible car seat(s). We have 1 primary car that he rides around in along with mine and Grandma's. Do we need 3 seats? I'm kinda thinking we do. Should we do two cheap seats and one nice one? Recommendations? We bought a graco infant seat system which we've come to realize he's outgrown and we need to get replacements rolling in ASAP.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

All seats pass the same safety tests, so just find one that fits your budget and your car :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I recently read a peer-reviewed paper about the differences between scheduled and on-demand feeding, and the paper opens with how they might be publishing the first actual study on this despite several books alleging that scheduled feedings are superior for cognitive development. Naturally, they found no difference when they tried to study this unsupported idea. This got me thinking about other things that we all read in baby books that might be completely unproven or based on flimsy or misinterpreted evidence. Exclusive breastfeeding seems like one of those ideas that is possibly also unsubstantiated.

Has anyone already done this legwork? Note that I am interested in the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding vs breastfeeding while supplementing with formula or pumped breastmilk. My guess would be that you reach a point of diminishing returns with exclusive breastfeeding and that supplementing at that point makes no significant difference, but I would like to see proof one way or the other

The book by the Science of Mom might interest you as far as evidence-based research.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

n8r posted:

Here you go:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/04/the-case-against-breast-feeding/307311/

I need a recommendation for convertible car seat(s). We have 1 primary car that he rides around in along with mine and Grandma's. Do we need 3 seats? I'm kinda thinking we do. Should we do two cheap seats and one nice one? Recommendations? We bought a graco infant seat system which we've come to realize he's outgrown and we need to get replacements rolling in ASAP.

This was a really great and well-sourced article, thank you. It validated my skepticism, but it did something even better in that it forced me to ask whether there are any benefits at all. It turns out that yes, there are some, but they are extremely minor and most of the reported benefits in the baby books are either false or way overblown.

While browsing my wife stumbled on this Norwegian Technical Institute article suggesting that even the few, minor correlated benefits of breastfeeding are probably not due to breastfeeding at all, but rather hormonal effects in the womb that are mostly beyond one's control

https://www.ntnu.edu/news/breastfeeding

skeetied posted:

The book by the Science of Mom might interest you as far as evidence-based research.

I'm going to look this up, thank you for the recommendation

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

n8r posted:

We have 1 primary car that he rides around in along with mine and Grandma's.

I only bought one seat for our second. I went with the britax clicktight system as it makes installing over and over easier.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

We have a nice carseat for our main car (Nuna Rava) and plan on getting the Evenflo Tribute for travel. It's light and (supposedly) easy to install and only around $50.

Other carseats I've heard great things about are the Chicco Nextfit Zip, Maxi Cosi Pria, and Diono Radian (especially if you have a small car or need to fit three across).

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

sheri posted:

All seats pass the same safety tests, so just find one that fits your budget and your car :)

I've probably mentioned this brand here before, but BUDGET CAR SEAT OPTION: If you're in the US, Target has an approx. $50 seat by Cosco that I've been very happy with. I have a Britax Marathon in my car, the primary car my (still rear facing) 3.5 year old son is in, because it's got more padding and is more comfortable, etc. I have 2 Cosco seats--one stays in my parents car and the other one is available to use if for some reason we're not in my car or my parent's car. I originally bought one of them because we were travelling to St. Thomas to visit family when my son was 9 months old and I needed something super cheap and not a huge loss if the airline lost it and easy to install in rental cars/cabs/shuttles and I was so happy with it that I bought another when I got home. My son was in the Cosco for a very very very minor fender bender--the car he was in was rear ended at a stop light at super low speed--and replacing a $50 seat was so much more painless than had it been a bells and whistles brand.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I have three different convertible car seats (because we had three different people picking up kiddo on a regular basis): Maxi Cosi Pria, Peg Perego, and Clek Fllo.

My favorite is actually the Peg, for all its the most expensive. It's super compact and installs pretty easy. The straps never twist around and it's really easy to adjust and comfortable for the kiddo.

The Clek Fllo we use mostly for travelling because it's so narrow and is impossible to install wrong once you know how to lift the seat. I've installed it in Ubers in four minutes at the airport while traveling solo with a toddler. But it's heavy as balls and not very comfortable and the shoulder straps are kind of wide-set which is a little alarming on my narrow-shouldered kid.

Maxi Cosi is my least favorite and I wouldn't buy again. It's ridiculously wide and the straps are constantly twisting up in weird ways making it hard to adjust. At one point, the padding cut halfway through a strap in a way I only found while disassembling it to clean. Very scary. At least it's very comfortable?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Hi_Bears posted:

We have a nice carseat for our main car (Nuna Rava) and plan on getting the Evenflo Tribute for travel. It's light and (supposedly) easy to install and only around $50.

Other carseats I've heard great things about are the Chicco Nextfit Zip, Maxi Cosi Pria, and Diono Radian (especially if you have a small car or need to fit three across).

Yup that all sounds good. We are doing the same thing - getting a Nextfit for the primary car, and two Evenflos for the secondary cars.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In car entertainment discussion: We have some long (12+ hours) road trips coming up and our piece of poo poo Philips in car DVD player has died for the second time.

I'm looking for a decent car player that is disc based AND can play some kind of solid state media if possible. Also hopefully has a remote.

I won't say "price is no object" but I don't want to skimp and get lovely quality.

Alternate are good headrest mounts for a tablet maybe?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We have this for the car & the battery life is pretty great. The case supposedly doubles as a headrest mount, but it doesn't work great. My son was happy to hold it on his lap to watch his movies.

Sylvania 9-Inch Swivel Screen Portable DVD/CD/MP3 Player with 5 Hour Built-In Rechargeable Battery, USB/SD Card Reader, AC/DC Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X63D2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LB2tyb0J5479W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Since becoming a parent 14 months ago, I think I've been pretty successful at it. Until this past weekend when I got sick.

Two weeks ago our son came down with an ear infection early in the week. Late in the week our provider noted he wasn't acting normally. We took him home and holy hell he was burning up! He had a fever of 101 the entire weekend. I brought him into the pediatrician the next day who was unable to make a definitive call. It could be the Roseola that was going around but it could also be his amoxicillin not working properly for his ear infection and he felt the safest immediate course was to change the medication. He still had a high fever on Monday so we kept him home. Tuesday he was well enough to go to day care and started sniffling. Tuesday evening he'd fully "bloomed" into Roseola and continued being congested for the rest of the week. By this past weekend he was almost entirely over everything but a lingering part of the cold.

He couldn't pass the ear infection or Roseola to us...but he certainly passed the cold. Woof. On one hand I'd like to say this was just a plain nasty cold and that's why it's lingered on worse than any other I can remember in my life, but on the other, I feel like the normal precautions I'd normally take around the hint of an impending cold I completely neglected. Part of my excuse is that we had guests visiting for the weekend so I was focused on entertaining them as well as my normal duties with our son and my health took a backseat. I'm normally over a cold within a day or two, but this one intensified on Monday and Tuesday and today is finally back to being manageable.

One of the parts I felt really bad about was being too sick to cook dinner. Thankfully my wife remembered the remains of two casseroles I froze over the course of the past two weeks. Those were life savers. Or at least, savers from "Feed him cold yogurt/cheese/crackers/toast/blueberries".

It's also unfortunate because we were planning on hosting Christmas with my family this weekend but with so much to do to prepare this week, there's no way we can do it and we cancelled last night.