Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The Intel 600p is pretty good if you want extreme NVMe sequential read speed (only applies to 1TB, 512GB and to a lesser extent 256GB models) for about the same price as the 850 EVO. It's not at all as good as the 960 EVO but is a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't get it. I left for nightshift, TBW was at 15.44TB, which it stayed at most of the day, I come back, I'm at 15.59TB. Thing idled with just an IRC client and Firefox open. What the gently caress is going on?

What I do notice right now is that Windows Update is doing some poo poo again according to Resource Monitor. For some reason, Process Explorer doesn't see all those writes for whatever reason (PID 896 shows zero write activity in Process Explorer, which doesn't exactly help evaluating how much the gently caress it is writing).

--edit:
Oh wait, running procexp as admin does show stats. 455GB?! What in the gently caress! My internet usage doesn't even get remotely close to that. What the gently caress is Windows doing?!

--edit2:
I think it's this loving Delivery Optimization service and Windows refuses to stop the service. FFS!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 7, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get it. I left for nightshift, TBW was at 15.44TB, which it stayed at most of the day, I come back, I'm at 15.59TB. Thing idled with just an IRC client and Firefox open. What the gently caress is going on?

What I do notice right now is that Windows Update is doing some poo poo again according to Resource Monitor. For some reason, Process Explorer doesn't see all those writes for whatever reason (PID 896 shows zero write activity in Process Explorer, which doesn't exactly help evaluating how much the gently caress it is writing).

--edit:
Oh wait, running procexp as admin does show stats. 455GB?! What in the gently caress! My internet usage doesn't even get remotely close to that. What the gently caress is Windows doing?!

Well Shadowplay/Xbox DVR thing may be caching the last 5 minutes of stuff you play in games in temp files somewhere.

edit: Oh that's the thing where windows will make it so your computer can offer windows updates to other computers on your network.

PC Settings --> Update & Security --> Under Windows Update pick Advanced Options --> Pick Choose how Updates are delivered and in that setting turn off "download and receive updates from more than one place"

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

havenwaters posted:

edit: Oh that's the thing where windows will make it so your computer can offer windows updates to other computers on your network.
Eh, there's no other computers on my network, and even if it were to share the files, it would read them, not write them. If it wasn't for all the productivity apps I use, Windows could go gently caress itself. Disabled it now regardless.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Then maybe it's something else. I dunno. It does sound like the Delivery Optimization Service downloads Windows Update stuff a second time and caches it for a short while before removing it. I'm not sure how it would account for 455 GB of stuff in a short while though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I scrubbed the folder after a reboot and forced Windows Update to check for updates. I've observed what it does. Seems like it unpacks its poo poo into that folder, verifies the files and then preps the file replace operations to run during reboot. After the scrubbing and running WU, some pending update seemed to apply fine. Seeing all the metadata it stores and copy and moves it does, it seems like an overly convoluted update procedure, that went haywire for no good reason (the update in question was a CAB of 970MB, that turned into nearly 500GB). Thanks for ditching the QA teams, Nadella.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Beta tested in the future.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Thanks for ditching the QA teams, Nadella.
This just cannot be the new normal for Windows OS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

This just cannot be the new normal for Windows OS.
Eh, there's still some dedicated QA over there, but it got apparently drastically reduced and some of the remaining testing responsibilities moved over to the dev teams IIRC. I'm not sure what to think about all of it. In the past, there were huge QA teams and dedicated beta tests. Latter don't necessarily imply being better than the insider preview stuff in terms of reach, but at least there were proper communication channels. Now there's just this lovely nearly useless Feedback app. But certainly core processes aren't supposed to freak out at all. Then again, judging what I've seen monitoring file system activity when letting an update run suggests to me that it's overly convoluted.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 7, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, there's still some dedicated QA over there, but it got apparently drastically reduced and some of the remaining testing responsibilities moved over to the dev teams IIRC. I'm not sure what to think about all of it. In the past, there were huge QA teams and dedicated beta tests. Latter don't necessarily imply being better than the insider preview stuff in terms of reach, but at least there were proper communication channels. Now there's just this lovely nearly useless Feedback app.

I've been sending constant feedback with that app. A bunch of my feedbacks have definitely been fixed. Probably a coincidence.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not saying that it does absolute zilch, but it's still a simpleton app in terms of functionality, discovery, and no return path for communication. In the past there were newsgroups with developers participating, people could run conversations between each other and visible devs. That Connect feedback site later on back in the day was less manageable that the newsgroups, but it was still fully featured, existing issues were easily discoverable and allowed other people to chime in (--edit: seems they've added that to Feedback, too). Also, both required more skill and were a little intimidating to unskilled users, which acts as a natural filter. When I try to discover issues (--edit: at least more obscure bugs) in the Feedback app, I have to sift through a lot of stuff that looks like a monkey shat on a keyboard and hit send.

--edit: I guess the point is, I'm cranky at the tools at hand. Kind of sad to see what we had with Connect and then see this Feedback tool, which still isn't up to par after all this time the insider program exists.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 7, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Totally agree about no return path for communication, nor a bug tracking thing of any kind. Pretty pathetic overall. I feel like I should be getting really familiar with Linux because Windows might be jumping the shark.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Keep Mint in your pocket. Also, Windows 10 comes with Hyper-V. You don't even need to set up dual boot / grub just to find out you don't like some linux distro. With hyper-v, you can test however many machines you want and not give fucks about repartitioning your drive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess it's a way to get acquainted. That's actually what I did eons ago getting touchy feely with OpenSolaris. Ran it fullscreen in VMware for two days, was like "I like this" and ditched everything.

That said, the app situation exists here, too. I'm not going to be able to run Photoshop, Solidworks and Cinema4D in a VM with reasonable performance. I'd have to do the GPU passthrough thing (again), which comes really close to dual booting to begin with. If you spend considerable time in the hostile environment and use Linux just as glorified web browser, you might as well spend some time trying to wrangle Windows into behaving.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RemoteFX is available on some Win10 hyper-v hosts as well :unsmigghh:

I'm able to run cad with acceleration in Mint in a hyper-v guest with a RemoteFX virtual adapter on my Win10 Enterprise workstation laptop with firepro hardware as we speak. Maybe look at what's available on your hyper-v install :D

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If Windows is pissing me off, I'm surely not going to run it as virtual machine host.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

3.5" SSDs do exist, or at least they did for earlier generation ones. My old OCZ Agility 2 (one of the ones where they started to change the design mid production to cut corners without changing model numbers) is 3.5".

Just for funsies here's what an old 3.5" SSD looks like! 120GB OCZ Agility 2

This was one of the very last good drives OCZ made before it all went to poo poo. At the time I had just ordered one of the models they had secretly changed and I returned it and got this one instead.

It was in my PC as a third string backup drive but I just took it out when I put in my new 1TB 850 Evo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

my kinda ape posted:

Just for funsies here's what an old 3.5" SSD looks like! 120GB OCZ Agility 2

This was one of the very last good drives OCZ made before it all went to poo poo. At the time I had just ordered one of the models they had secretly changed and I returned it and got this one instead.

It was in my PC as a third string backup drive but I just took it out when I put in my new 1TB 850 Evo.

Agility's were their poo poo budget drive

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

Agility's were their poo poo budget drive

Good is a relative term! It had the same read speed as the Vertex IIRC, just slower write.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Going to upgrade my new laptop with an M.2 SSD (it only has a 5400 RPM HDD). I read about the MyDigtalSSD BP5e and it sounds like a solid upgrade on the cheap, which is what I'm interested in. My alternative choice is the 960 EVO, which costs almost twice as much. This Tom's Hardware article suggests that the BPX and the 960 EVO have comparative performance, but I can't find an obvious comparison to the BP5e

IS buying the BP5e just a waste of time and money? I'm aware that it's SATA3 rather than PCIe, but I don't consider that a significant downside at this point (but feel welcome to correct me)

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I have a similar question to the one above. Are there any decent and affordable M.2 SATA 2242 form factor SSDs out there? I want to get mom an SSD for her laptop for Christmas, and it would be nice if she could keep her spinny drive for backup/extra storage, but all I can seem to find is stuff that seems to have either relatively poor performance or heat problems. Worst case scenario I guess I'll just get her a 2.5" 850 Evo and put her mechanical drive in an enclosure or something.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a Samsung t3 external ssd for my cousin so he could edit video a little easier since he has an hdd right now and it can't handle the read speeds required to do pretty much anything in premiere/after effects. Please tell me I made an okay purchase.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

d0grent posted:

I bought a Samsung t3 external ssd for my cousin so he could edit video a little easier since he has an hdd right now and it can't handle the read speeds required to do pretty much anything in premiere/after effects. Please tell me I made an okay purchase.

Does he have a USB 3.1 port on his computer to plug it into?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there something terrible about crucial BC200s that means I shouldn't pick one up for 2/3 the price of an MX300 of equivalent size?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there something terrible about crucial BC200s that means I shouldn't pick one up for 2/3 the price of an MX300 of equivalent size?
BX200s, and yes, you do not want those. MX300 is an OK drive and is often price competitive, though the caveat is that Crucial support is like pulling teeth and it's not uncommon to have your RMA be ignored until you post a bad review on amazon or newegg

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Krailor posted:

Does he have a USB 3.1 port on his computer to plug it into?

It's just 3.0 I'm pretty sure.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
What's the right tool to determine the health of a drive? My HTPC windows installation stopped installing windows updates successfully, so after a ton of troubleshooting I ended up formatting the drive, running a "surface scan" & reinstalling windows. Sadly, the new installation won't install most updates successfully either, and now the OS freezes after 5-10 min. I want to scan the SSD to make sure that it's not the culprit.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
On normal mATX boards, do the NVMe drives just stick up out of the last PCIe socket, or is there a bracket to hold them? I'm not worried about their weight so much as a cable hooking them and snapping a $700 part.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Apart from enterprise level PCIe SSDs, most NVMe ones are for the M.2 slot which mounts it parallel to the mainboard. The M.2 connector is not mechanically compatible with PCIe.

Edit: If it fits in a regular PCIe slot it will also have a bracket for mounting in the back plate.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 12, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also if it is an AIC (add in card) form factor often it has a half height bracket installed but they do usually come with a full height bracket too.

Hopefully u.2 2.5" drives become more mainstream because then it's pretty much just like plugging in a SATA drive. Actually easier because there is only one cable to plug in that contains the power too.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

nielsm posted:

Apart from enterprise level PCIe SSDs, most NVMe ones are for the M.2 slot which mounts it parallel to the mainboard. The M.2 connector is not mechanically compatible with PCIe.

Edit: If it fits in a regular PCIe slot it will also have a bracket for mounting in the back plate.

There's no M.2 slot on this MB (Asrock H97M Pro4) but it got a BIOS update for NVMe boot. I guess it supports it via a PCIe->M.2 adapter board. Are those just passthrough?

M.2 is such a mishmash of non-standard standards. Keying, two different protocols on the same socket, nothing compatible with anything else, and different options for how far out to put the mounting post. I guess the laptop makers are happy with it, because it's basically impossible for a normal end-user to buy an upgrade from anyone but them.

I don't remember the transition from AGP to PCIe being anywhere near this mis-managed, nor PATA->SATA for that matter. Even JEDEC, with 4 incompatible specs on the same connector has managed to keep it clear via version bumps. Was M.3 really a dealbreaker?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Harik posted:

There's no M.2 slot on this MB (Asrock H97M Pro4) but it got a BIOS update for NVMe boot. I guess it supports it via a PCIe->M.2 adapter board. Are those just passthrough?

AFAIK, yes. NVMe drives can currently be attached to PCIe through either an actual PCIe slot, an appropriate m.2 connector, or an appropriate u.2 connector.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody else still not gotten their Watchdogs 2 code from buying a Samsung SSD recently? They said within 2 weeks from the ship date I should have it. (to be fair, 2 weeks is tomorrow)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Anybody else still not gotten their Watchdogs 2 code from buying a Samsung SSD recently? They said within 2 weeks from the ship date I should have it. (to be fair, 2 weeks is tomorrow)

FWIW, I got mine from Amazon the day the SSD shipped (4 days after order.)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People were getting it the same day they purchased it. Maybe they ran out of codes.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I bought an 850 evo a few days ago at microcenter and the code was in my email by the time I got in my car in the parking lot.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Larrymer posted:

PM me and you can have mine. I couldn't care less about that game. (you can't even watch any dogs - useless)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is this nand shortage stuff just a marketing ploy? Unless theres a crunch on raw mats i dont see why they wouldnt produce to demand. Unless they ramped down production like opec or something

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is this nand shortage stuff just a marketing ploy? Unless theres a crunch on raw mats i dont see why they wouldnt produce to demand. Unless they ramped down production like opec or something

I'd guess they are running at capacity right now. New 3D fabs from Toshiba and Intel are coming online and Samsung is ramping up production of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Surprise Giraffe posted:

With chips, raw materials are never the problem. Fab (factory) capacity can be. It takes a long time and an investment of several billion USD to bring a single fab online. If it turns out there isn't enough demand to sell what it can make while the fab is relatively new (depreciation on the equipment is fierce), the owner will lose enormous sums of money. So, sometimes the industry is a bit conservative about expanding production capacity.

This huge upfront capital cost of constructing a fab, plus the difficulty of acquiring all the in-house expertise to do it right (or at all), is why there's so few players in NAND flash manufacturing. Which in turn does make it possible for the players involved to pull an OPEC -- that has happened before, in DRAM. They can't do too much of that because once again, the fabs they've got have to run and make significant revenue or they're hosed, but easing off on production to shore up prices or just plain agreeing to fix prices at a higher level? Yup.