Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raxivace posted:

While we're on the topic of Silent Hill, what's the best way to check those games out? I think heard that the HD collection was bad, but that a patch fixed it?

The HD collection does not include Silent Hill 1, which I highly suggest playing. Even with bad PS1 graphics that game will scare the everliving poo poo out of you. I would like to meet the emotionless wreck that claims Silent Hill isn't scary at all. Silent Hill 2 is stand-alone to an extent so you could technically start with that, but 3 is more of a direct sequel to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Raxivace posted:

While we're on the topic of Silent Hill, what's the best way to check those games out? I think heard that the HD collection was bad, but that a patch fixed it?

depends, konami couldn't hack a deal with microsoft so the xbox version is permanently borked, but the unborked version for playstation is still pretty bad

anyways there are a lot of issues with the HD version. if you have a ps2 i'd say find a copy of SH2/3 online and play it that way. however amazon has copies of the games ranging in the upper 60/70 dollar range which is lol

the PC version of 2 is extremely buggy, ye be warned, but i heard the pc version of 3 is really good? i didnt play it so i dont know

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unfortunately the best way of playing the SH games is the original versions, apart from SH 1 which is fine to play on PS3 since it's just the PS1 game emulated.
If you have no other choice the PS3 HD collection is at least acceptable.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think the ps3 editions will still be enough to be scary but you might see some enemies easier in advance.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I might go with the PS2 versions but I'll have to look around. The cheapest Amazon has them for is like $25 apiece, and that's a bit much for old PS2 games. Definitely jumping on the PSN version for the first game though.

Thanks for the info, everyone. :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I was still mentally capable of experiencing the sheer terror of playing SH1 on psx again. I wish games could scare me like they did when I was 14.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Of course theres more to the game than being scared or unnerved. Just a warning to not go into these games like a punk rear end boyfriend looking for something to prove.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sakurazuka posted:

Unfortunately the best way of playing the SH games is the original versions, apart from SH 1 which is fine to play on PS3 since it's just the PS1 game emulated.
If you have no other choice the PS3 HD collection is at least acceptable.

get SH2 on the PC, experience the :catstare: that that port was.

Ok maybe it was because my computer didn't have "the right kind of graphics card" but my cousin and I had trouble taking it seriously the first time playing because some of the enemies wouldn't display, the mannequins were just a pair of legs (that taught us quickly to avoid them since we couldn't find their hitboxes) and Mary's super shiny skirt was too much so that entire area of her never loaded :v: I gotta say, it's hard to NOT laugh at the game because of it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

One product doing a story does not mean it is forever off-limits and something as generic as "my wife is missing, I want to find her" doesn't really have to hit the same beats.

I say subtle things. You make reductive dismissive replies. That reply doesn't really partake in what I was saying, in general friendly discussion or getting other views doesn't seem in your wheelhouse.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Get Silent Hill 1 on the PSN. Silent Hill 2 is probably best on PS2, there is a PC port and there are unofficial patches which make it work correctly on modern systems but the game can still be kind of graphically glitchy on PC. Silent Hill 3, you're best going for PC as it's actually a really good port, still works really well on modern systems and is the best looking version of the game and I'd say it's the definitive version. Silent Hill 4 is sadly, a bit like Silent Hill 2 in that it can be a bit weird on PC with some bugs and glitches so PS2 version is probably your best bet.

If you're curious enough about the Western made games, Origins is better on PSP; it looks better on PS2 but also much buggier on PS2. Homecoming I think is slightly better on 360 but the PS3 version is fine. Shattered Memories is best on Wii, the PS2 and PSP versions are severely downgraded ports. Downpour is best on PS3 as I believe it's the only version which got patched to fix some major bugs.

Although I'd only really recommend Shattered Memories (and only if you're willing to accept it's not a Silent Hill game and more of an exploration thriller that isn't scary but can be kind of interesting) and Downpour (great ideas, not so great execution) out of the Western made games. Origins is boring and bland as all hell and Homecoming is godawful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I say subtle things. You make reductive dismissive replies. That reply doesn't really partake in what I was saying, in general friendly discussion or getting other views doesn't seem in your wheelhouse.

Heavy Metal posted:

so I'm just kinda like... why go that route here? You can't beat Silent Hill 2's go at that.

Very subtle.

Silent Hill 2 is not the first story to deal with a man looking for his lost wife in a horror setting and any similarities they have, at least so far, are superficial. They're not very similar at all in tone or style except for being spooky horror games.

Edit: If you want more detail, Resident Evil tends to pride itself on being about 'physical' horror. The threats are not overtly supernatural but instead the result of biological tampering. The threat is not psychological but almost overtly physical. Thematically it has fairly little in common with Silent Hill which focuses heavily on the psychological and religious horror aspects. What we've seen of RE7 doesn't seem to be changing that much. It is moving away from Japanese Horror-Action but not into the Jacob's Ladder inspired style of Silent Hill where the entire world is hostile and unfriendly rather than the things in it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 12, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

Very subtle.

I also talked about tone, music, and I said it's not inherently bad, just felt odd. You just seem to have a complex where instead of discussing something you disagree with, you just kinda dismiss it and seem to miss a lot of the points made.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I was still mentally capable of experiencing the sheer terror of playing SH1 on psx again. I wish games could scare me like they did when I was 14.

Just insult people on an MMO until some kid calls a SWAT team to your house.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I also talked about tone, music, and I said it's not inherently bad, just felt odd. You just seem to have a complex where instead of discussing something you disagree with, you just kinda dismiss it and seem to miss a lot of the points made.

You're dragging something from another thread over here and ignoring the fact that other people in that thread told you the exact same thing I did. It also has nothing to do with the point I made.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

You're dragging something from another thread over here and ignoring the fact that other people in that thread told you the exact same thing I did. It also has nothing to do with the point I made.

Not true, I'd be fine to discuss something with you, your reply is just as I mentioned, tryin to boil my impressions down so you can dismiss it as a simple and wrong thing. Are you a fan of Silent Hill 2? What do you think about the trailer there giving a sort of somber and melencholy vibe that maybe one wouldn't associate with RE? How about a truce and we just talk about thoughts etc.

And I'm not saying the whole game has that tone, just the presentation of that one element, the mysterious somber wife macguffin. I'm not saying the game is a full on Silent Hill thing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 12, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Electromax posted:

Awful gunplay is just part of the return to the series pre-4 roots.
RE2 had the sickest gunplay, you could pop the heads of 5 zombies with a single shotgun blast.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

This isn't the Silent Hill thread but I'm going to stick up for Silent Hill Homecoming and call it the Resident Evil 6 of the series. It looks great and plays smooth, even if theres not as much cohesion the series asks for in regards to monster design and themes.

Also lol how did they fit Shattered Memories on the PSP? I can't imagine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Not true, I'd be fine to discuss something with you, your reply is just as I mentioned, tryin to boil my impressions down so you can dismiss it as a simple and wrong thing. Are you a fan of Silent Hill 2? What do you think about the trailer there giving a sort of somber and melencholy vibe that maybe one wouldn't associate with RE? How about a truce and we just talk about thoughts etc.

I am a big fan of Silent Hill 2.

I honestly don't associate the tone with Silent Hill at all. Silent Hill has a fairly specific sort of tone to it (though it varies somewhat from game to game, natch.) Silent Hill's core inspiration comes from a specific brand of American horror best embodied by Stephen King and his ilk. It is the idea of the undercurrent of corruption at the heart of a small town. As such it plays a lot into religious fears, isolation psychological issues, and so-on. Silent Hill 2 plays with this very heavily with the idea that the town we see is only James and that the 'real' Silent Hill is merely a town. While SH occasionally dives into full-on gross-out horror it's few and far between and tends to be among the weaker-received parts of the story. (Likewise the Silent Hill film's biggest failing was descending into that in the ending.)

Nothing I've seen from RE7 seems to hint that it has more than the remotest similarities in tone or structure to any Silent Hill game. It seems to have a focus on overt horror and violent and a heavy physical presence. This is the kind of horror RE has always focused on. (The Japanese name for the franchise, and RE7's subtitle, is Biohazard.) The threat is not overtly supernatural but grounded in (bullshit) science and the threats are all extremely physical, either in terms of being corrupted by a virus or by being murdered by a virus'd up individual. Likewise RE7's inspirations appear to be from similar brands of horror. The most obvious comparison is Texas Chainsaw Massacre and films in that genre. It's a completely different style, at least from what they've shown.

The only real similarities I can see are the missing wife thing and even that is kind of a staple of the genre. "Family member goes missing, you find them in one of these weird out there cults." I'm certainly there will be twists but I'll be genuinely surprised if the eventual tone and outcome of the game falls into SH2's wheelhouse in terms of atmosphere or style.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only good thing about Homecoming is that you can easily accidentally get the joke ending first time through. It's not comparable to RE 6 because that actually has decent gameplay buried underneath all the crap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re7s only obvious silent hill inspiration to me is PT and that's more in regards to how the demo was handled than anything.

From what we know about the whole package, games like Amnesia and Outlast seem to have a heavier influence, but it sounds like they are taking aspects of the early RE games as well.

Obviously there's the missing wife thing but that doesn't mean much in the long run.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

I am a big fan of Silent Hill 2.

I honestly don't associate the tone with Silent Hill at all. Silent Hill has a fairly specific sort of tone to it (though it varies somewhat from game to game, natch.) Silent Hill's core inspiration comes from a specific brand of American horror best embodied by Stephen King and his ilk. It is the idea of the undercurrent of corruption at the heart of a small town. As such it plays a lot into religious fears, isolation psychological issues, and so-on. Silent Hill 2 plays with this very heavily with the idea that the town we see is only James and that the 'real' Silent Hill is merely a town. While SH occasionally dives into full-on gross-out horror it's few and far between and tends to be among the weaker-received parts of the story. (Likewise the Silent Hill film's biggest failing was descending into that in the ending.)

Nothing I've seen from RE7 seems to hint that it has more than the remotest similarities in tone or structure to any Silent Hill game. It seems to have a focus on overt horror and violent and a heavy physical presence. This is the kind of horror RE has always focused on. (The Japanese name for the franchise, and RE7's subtitle, is Biohazard.) The threat is not overtly supernatural but grounded in (bullshit) science and the threats are all extremely physical, either in terms of being corrupted by a virus or by being murdered by a virus'd up individual. Likewise RE7's inspirations appear to be from similar brands of horror. The most obvious comparison is Texas Chainsaw Massacre and films in that genre. It's a completely different style, at least from what they've shown.

The only real similarities I can see are the missing wife thing and even that is kind of a staple of the genre. "Family member goes missing, you find them in one of these weird out there cults." I'm certainly there will be twists but I'll be genuinely surprised if the eventual tone and outcome of the game falls into SH2's wheelhouse in terms of atmosphere or style.

I agree Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the biggest thing added to the RE formula for sure. Just in general stuff like tone here, I feel like what I'm describing is more of a feeling, than a mechanical comparison. The music is a big part of Silent Hill, I mean the somber soft rock pop kind of stuff etc. Maybe whoever made that specific trailer is going for this SH2 or 3 kind of vibe more than the game itself.

In general I'm just kinda not looking forward to seeing where the wife part of the plot goes, I just get a vibe, but I'm interested in most of what I'm seeing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'll probably hate the wife thing but that'll go away once you suplex her in the final battle or wherever that's leading.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Policenaut posted:

I'll probably hate the wife thing but that'll go away once you suplex her in the final battle or wherever that's leading.
I'll be genuinely surprised if there's any suplexing and whatnot, since the game is being heavily marketed as the anti-RE5/6, a throwback to the more "serious" classic games.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I agree Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the biggest thing added to the RE formula for sure. Just in general stuff like tone here, I feel like what I'm describing is more of a feeling, than a mechanical comparison. The music is a big part of Silent Hill, I mean the somber soft rock pop kind of stuff etc. Maybe whoever made that specific trailer is going for this SH2 or 3 kind of vibe more than the game itself.

In general I'm just kinda not looking forward to seeing where the wife part of the plot goes, I just get a vibe, but I'm interested in most of what I'm seeing.

I don't really see the similarities, but that's okay. Kind of a bummer to be disinterested in something before you even really know what it is, though.

I see RE7 being compared to a lot of games but why? Pretty much all the press we have on it points to it being a completely different beast from what keeps getting tossed around (PT/Outlast/Amnesia.) It has shops, guns, things to kill. It's RE so we know it'll be grounded in some kind of hosed up bio-terrorism reality. It's right there in the name this time.

I hope the wife thing is great and you get to kill her or save her or maybe it just gets weird. Let's get weird, Resident Evil. You're at your best when you're weird.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

a harpy posted:

I don't really see the similarities, but that's okay. Kind of a bummer to be disinterested in something before you even really know what it is, though.

I see RE7 being compared to a lot of games but why? Pretty much all the press we have on it points to it being a completely different beast from what keeps getting tossed around (PT/Outlast/Amnesia.) It has shops, guns, things to kill. It's RE so we know it'll be grounded in some kind of hosed up bio-terrorism reality. It's right there in the name this time.

I hope the wife thing is great and you get to kill her or save her or maybe it just gets weird. Let's get weird, Resident Evil. You're at your best when you're weird.

same, thank you (did re7 reveal shops? i haven't seen that yet, do you have a link?)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dont think the original demo calling itself 'The Beginning Hour' (though I dunno how anyone got an actual hour of gameplay from it) really helped since nothing happens, you wander round a house then get punched in the face. In the first hour of all the other games, including 1 you've killed between 20 and 100 zombies and a boss or two by that point.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

boy are my arms tired posted:

same, thank you (did re7 reveal shops? i haven't seen that yet, do you have a link?)

What're ya buying guy making an unexpected comeback would be pretty funny/awesome

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Here's the article:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/8/13878412/resident-evil-7-pre-review-capcom-re7-biohazard-playstation-4-ps4-xbox-one-pc-windows-vr-psvr

The direct quote:

quote:

Resident Evil 7 also demonstrates a clear commitment to expanding on combat. An hour after first encountering the Molded, I discovered an area where I could purchase upgrades. Over the course of the game, I had stumbled across a number of “ancient coins,” and here I could spend these to receive a handful of items. One increased Ethan’s maximum health; another improved his reload speed. A magnum revolver — a classic high-power weapon in the series — was also available to purchase.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Raxivace posted:

pc versions with proper fan patches/wrappers. google silent hill pc neogaf and you should find all the info you need. just emulate the first game with widescreen patch and janky wobby fix.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

now how do i spin the revolver in first person

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

nice, thanks. im curious if its a shop along the vein of an actual shopkeeper ala merchant or if its some sort of shrine that brings up a level up/shop UI when you activate it

i feel if it was a merchant stand-in the article would have mentioned it though

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish it was just the RE4 merchant, with voice clips ripped straight out of that game.

"What are ya buyin'..."

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

nice, thanks. im curious if its a shop along the vein of an actual shopkeeper ala merchant or if its some sort of shrine that brings up a level up/shop UI when you activate it

i feel if it was a merchant stand-in the article would have mentioned it though

This is what has been shown. Maybe the upgrades like health are a drug you buy and take? No way to know until it releases.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

a harpy posted:

This is what has been shown. Maybe the upgrades like health are a drug you buy and take? No way to know until it releases.

that looks really cool and interesting

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

look i know you can craft grenades in this game how the gently caress do i spin the magnum

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fereydun posted:

look i know you can craft grenades in this game how the gently caress do i spin the magnum

It's gonna be one of those VR things where you just look down at your hand while you're doing whatever and the guy is just doing it reflexively.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

okay got it
next step: figuring out how to put on the crocodile head camo

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Here's some fresh details translated from a french article. They were posted by Neogaf forum user Dusk Golem.

edit: Little to no story spoilers. Only gameplay/mechanical spoilers and a couple remarks about notes you can find in the game.

-Though the game has a 'progression flow' that's been confirmed, IE you walk to new locations and transition like in the older RE games, there is something of a chapter system, probably to help divide progress. The section of the game they played was a bit from Chapter 3. Apparently this is the segment most journalist played recently, as Chapter 3 starts off with the Baker Dinner Table scene.

-Interesting callback, there is a Newspaper Article about the rumors surrounding the Baker Plantation written by Alyssa Ashcroft, who was a playable reporter from Resident Evil Outbreak.

-Likewise, you can find a document signed by Clive O'Brian (from the first Resident Evil Revelations game)

-The trailer vehicle is apparently the 'shop' in the game, you can collect Old Coins from around the game, and use them to purchase permanent upgrades (either to skills like accuracy or health increase, etc.), or even new weapons (like a magnum is available in the section of the game they played). Trailer is also said to follow you through the game to different locations as the shop.

-You can find inventory slot upgrades for your backpack to give you more inventory space.

-To get the Shotgun, you need to solve an optional puzzle.

-Apparently there are insect enemies in the second location, smaller than typical RE fair but they do come at you, sometimes alone and sometimes in swarms. These include Bees, Spiders, & Centipedes.

-You can sharpen some weapons to give them increased piercing powers.

-There's different types of grenades you can craft from chemicals, including a sort of poison cloud grenade and a incendiary grenade.

-You can develop photos that show the locations of hidden treasures around the place.

-Lockpicks can be used to open up certain doors for shortcuts around the house, drawers and lockers with supplies in them, and such things.

-Every time you complete an objective, the telephone will ring for a bit for more dialogue with the mysterious caller who will reveal a bit more and give a clue for progression.

-You have a map in the game that your character updates details about as you progress ala Silent Hill.

-There is a classic "Item hidden in bathtub" scene.

-There is documents talking about the corruption of a local church and a hospital investigating into the weird mold around the city of Dulvey, Louisiana and its medical properties. Maybe we'll end up going to this church and hospital? There was also a note about a crashed boat which was stranded after a storm, and we already know we're going to that location in the game.

-You can find broken weapons that can be repaired.

-Apparently everything we've seen from the game so far is all from Chapter 3, they haven't shown anything outside of chapter 3, and even with that we haven't seen all of Chapter 3.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 12, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I'll be genuinely surprised if there's any suplexing and whatnot, since the game is being heavily marketed as the anti-RE5/6, a throwback to the more "serious" classic games.

you shut your whore mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I only glanced at the spoiler for a second but

Of course I have to loving play Revalations first *grumble*