Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Enameled can get chipped and I don't think they can get as hot as bare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Enameled can get chipped and I don't think they can get as hot as bare

500F seems like it's enough for what I'd be using it for. I'm worried about acidic contents stripping the seasoning over a long braise.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Enameled is perfect for making tomato sauces etc. Although I have a plain cast iron dutch oven and I cook acidic sauces in it all the dam time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do the Lodge bare-iron dutch ovens have the same rounded interior corners as the enamelled ones? It looks like they're sharper, and would be more annoying to clean (and re-season), but I can't tell exactly from the photos I can find on the web.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My lodge Dutch oven only gets used for frying. I use an enameled one 99% of the time.

The corners are rounded on the lodge

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

My rule of thumb: bare iron for frying meats and things, enameled if there's a sauce. Haven't bothered to get a bare iron dutch oven because there's always a sauce when I cook in one, and I don't want to leach all the seasoning into it. Seems like it would affect the flavor and require reseasoning. That's been my experience with sauce in bare iron pans, anyway.

I've only known about enameled cast iron for a couple of years now, and before that I'd have happily used a bare iron dutch oven if I'd had one, just takes a little more maintenance. You can't go really wrong either way.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Could someone kindly link the cheapest tool I could get away with buying that is capable of actually grinding a new lodge's surface flat? I'd like to mod a lodge as a christmas gift.

Right now I only have a dremmel and I somehow doubt it'd be the most reasonable option. Thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Same Great Paste posted:

Could someone kindly link the cheapest tool I could get away with buying that is capable of actually grinding a new lodge's surface flat? I'd like to mod a lodge as a christmas gift.

Right now I only have a dremmel and I somehow doubt it'd be the most reasonable option. Thanks!

Dremel with a nice broad polishing wheel bit works fine, follow it up with some fine sandpaper. That or a palm sander. Wear goggles and a mask though! Wish I had the cast-iron selfie I took after refinishing mine, I looked like Anakin after the pod-race.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 7, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You want an angle grinder and you can probably find one used for under 20 bucks or new at harbor freight for 15-25 depending on model and if it's on sale.

dremel will take forever to smooth it out.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Speaking of enameled Dutch ovens, are le crueset superior in any way or are people just paying top dollar for the name and fancy colors? My hunch is it's the latter.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Speaking of enameled Dutch ovens, are le crueset superior in any way or are people just paying top dollar for the name and fancy colors? My hunch is it's the latter.

The enameling on a staub or le crueset are much better. On the cheaper ones they will start cracking and flaking off after a couple years of use. If you treat a nice one well it will last a lifetime.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Depends on what you use it for. Lot of bread making? The Le Crueset will be worth it. Just braises? doesn't matter. Their enamel is generally better quality as well as the lid handles.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have only used bare iron dutch ovens. I think I posted pics of some of them in the thread.

I have used them for everything with no issue. If you have weak/lovely seasoning it can be damaged by long cook times using wine or tomatoes in the sauce. Worst case you will need to reseason the inside if you strip it. I don't think I've had issues that I can recall but I do the 7 layers of flax seasoning as previously discussed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want to reseason this, but I'm not sure how far I have to go to strip it. Will steel wool suffice, or do I need to self-clean or find the right attachment for my dremel somewhere in the basement? It's slightly rough, and different parts are slipperier than others, but nothing too bad.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I want to reseason this, but I'm not sure how far I have to go to strip it. Will steel wool suffice, or do I need to self-clean or find the right attachment for my dremel somewhere in the basement? It's slightly rough, and different parts are slipperier than others, but nothing too bad.

I'm not a cast irontologist or anything, but when I had to rehab my skillet that looked like that I used copper wool. My reasoning was that it doesn't shed fibers, and is rougher and sturdier than steel wool. It was the kind that looks like a scouring pad made of coiled copper wire. It turned out pretty well, but I was just taking off old seasoning and some surface rust.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hogmartin posted:

I'm not a cast irontologist or anything, but when I had to rehab my skillet that looked like that I used copper wool. My reasoning was that it doesn't shed fibers, and is rougher and sturdier than steel wool. It was the kind that looks like a scouring pad made of coiled copper wire. It turned out pretty well, but I was just taking off old seasoning and some surface rust.

I have one of those!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hogmartin posted:

Chore boy

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

I... wouldn't even reseason that. Hit the grody bits with some rock salt and a towel, and wash it with soap and water, then put some oil on it and call it good.

Why do you want to strip it?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Agreed, that definitely doesn't look like it needs to be stripped and re-seasoned. Just clean it up real nice oil it up a bit and it looks like it'd be ready to go.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, OK. I'm not getting that nonstick experience I was hoping for when searing stuff, and it's not uniformly smooth. But maybe I should just kosher-towel until it's smooth and go a couple of rounds with flaxseed oil?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I did a seasoning (500 degrees for an hour) on my pan with flax oil that had accidentally been left unrefrigerated overnight. There's no risk to this in terms of food safety of stuff cooked in the pan, is there?

Also, after running the cycle using the cooks illustrated guide I'm noticing chipping of the seasoning around the sides of the pan. Anything that can remedy this aside from a full stripping?

Dacap fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2016

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Grinding pans really is simple, anyone thinking of trying it just go for it.

Bought a cheap b&d angle grinder from amazon. Started my first pan with a standard metal grinding wheel - worked great but not happy with the ridges it was leaving (maybe I have poo poo technique). Finished that pan with a 50 grit grinding and polishing wheel. Results were everything I could possibly want.

Tried a second pan just with the latter, and it did a great job of smoothing the peaks but it'd take a long rear end time to get all the little divots. So I figured gently caress it it's mostly smooth and seasoing will fill the divots.

Pros / cons the second pan ended up more uniformly flat since less material was taken off with an unskilled handtool, but if you want a mirror surface you'll probably want to start with the serious business wheel.

They're both oven-seasoning now. If they turn out wildly unexpectedly I'll edit. Otherwise grind baby grind - and thanks for all the tips. And yes my wife did get a kick out of the coalminer look.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Reporting in to say that sunflower oil is an excellent substitute of flaxseed if you can't find any of the latter locally. I have a pretty uniform texture on the pan. It does surprisingly well with steak searing. Even more shocking, the seasoning is strong enough to prevent rust if I have the pan remain wet for extended periods, and its handled the occasional acidic cooking ingredients like a champ. I haven't done the coarse salt cleaning routine unless I really screw up, but 99% of the time a wipe down suffices.

I'm a believer now.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Dali Parton posted:

Reporting in to say that sunflower oil is an excellent substitute of flaxseed if you can't find any of the latter locally. I have a pretty uniform texture on the pan. It does surprisingly well with steak searing. Even more shocking, the seasoning is strong enough to prevent rust if I have the pan remain wet for extended periods, and its handled the occasional acidic cooking ingredients like a champ. I haven't done the coarse salt cleaning routine unless I really screw up, but 99% of the time a wipe down suffices.

I'm a believer now.

Oddly enough I found large bottles of sunflower oil at my local walmart. Never thought to look there and have paid twice as much for way less oil elsewhere. Once I run out of flax I'm just going to use sunflower as I didn't really see that much difference between the 2 compared to other oils.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you're gonna take an angle grinder to a pan, use a flap wheel instead of a grinding wheel.

instead of

A grinding wheel is for moving a _lot_ of metal, while a flap wheel is great for smoothing out surfaces and taking off coatings.

For the love of god, don't use a cutoff wheel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Help I'm addicted to seasoning my pan. But now I'm annoyed that it's not perfectly smooth and I'm thinking about stripping it send help (and flaxseed oil).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Why cook anything when you can repeatedly burn oil in your oven???

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As a former burning oil addict I can say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Does it shine off the mirror finish on your pan?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

Is there any reason to prefer a bare dutch oven over an enamelled one?
I like to knock metal spoons and stuff on the edge of my skillets and pots and stuff - so I don't have anything enameled.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought my brother a Lodge cast iron pan on Amazon since it was like $20.

It arrives and it's a 10" model and not 12". That's what I get for drunk Amazon Christmas shopping. Will he be fine? I have a 12" Griswold that was our Grandmothers, the only downside to this 10" pan is it might not fit a 5lb chicken or 2lbs of bacon.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I think I use a 10 inch pan and it's big enough for most things

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Made a shepherd's pie in my cast iron last night, it's quickly becoming one of my top 5 things to make in it. Sorry about the poor quality photo.. but bonus baby footage!

\/\/\/ - Sadly my wife is lactose intolerant, otherwise yes there would be a ton of cheese. Fork thingy is a good idea though, when I make it smooth like that it makes this weird skin, I'm not sure how I didn't think of using a fork earlier

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 14, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

You should use a fork to scrape some texture on the top of that potato so it goes golden brown and crispy.

Then add cheese. Lots of cheese.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I took a stab at Ducasse steak in my Lodge heat treated pan.

The taste was really good but I don't think I had a thick enough steak or I needed to scale back to time as it was overcooked in the middle. I also didn't plan on cooking it this way and let it warm up to room temp before deciding it was way too cold to grill outside. Having never done it I just followed the recipe I found online and did 10 minutes a side. If I do it again I would leave the steak chilled and do 7 minutes a side.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

my turn in the barrel posted:

The taste was really good but I don't think I had a thick enough steak or I needed to scale back to time as it was overcooked in the middle. I also didn't plan on cooking it this way and let it warm up to room temp before deciding it was way too cold to grill outside. Having never done it I just followed the recipe I found online and did 10 minutes a side. If I do it again I would leave the steak chilled and do 7 minutes a side.

Sad, but it happens. That's why we experiment! TRY AGAIN

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That looks like every steak anyone ever cooked using the Ducasse method. There's a reason it became a running joke in this forum. Everyone who tried it ruined their steak. You need a 3 inch thick piece of meat if you're gonna attempt it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think the camera just didn't capture red.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That looks like every steak anyone ever cooked using the Ducasse method. There's a reason it became a running joke in this forum. Everyone who tried it ruined their steak. You need a 3 inch thick piece of meat if you're gonna attempt it.

and now that so many of us have sous vizzle machines there's really no reason to bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I finished seasoning my pan, but there's still a rough patch about the size of my thumb that I'm pretty sure stuff is going to stick to. Anything to be code but steel wool/copper scrubber it away and repeat the process?