Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach

KozmoNaut posted:

Wow, that is some deep Time Cube-type alchemical voodoo poo poo.

It's up there with a certain batshit insane contingent of Danish audiophiles, who worship everything related to some engineer named Duelund. He did all kinds of weird poo poo, homemade cables with linseed oil-impregnated paper and silk for insulation, modifying speakers so the cones were suspended with sewing thread instead the usual spider arrangement, and all kinds of poo poo. The man himself passed away some years ago, but the bullshit lives on in the form of Duelund Coherent Audio.

The product description for their flagship capacitor is something to behold: http://duelundaudio.com/cast-capacitor/

“so silly good that they’ll make your girlfriends’ nipples hard in about a millisecond.” Jeff Day, Jeff’s Place, Positive Feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll take "things I never thought I would hear said about capacitors" for 1000, Alex.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Oh, the Duelund cables made their way to Norway as well causing meltdowns on HiFi forums.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We have the Tandberg people, and they are a crazy bunch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We don't have quite the same level of B&O crazies here. Audiophiles mostly poo-poo their products because of the fancy designs and whatnot.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

evobatman posted:

We have the Tandberg people, and they are a crazy bunch.

We bought a division of tandberg many years back and can confirm that real tandberg people are crazy.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
All I know about Tandberg is Cisco bought their video conferencing technology, and then immediately made it suck and removed all user friendliness.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gunjin posted:

Cisco made it suck and removed all user friendliness.
That could be their corporate slogan.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's time to play AES Bullshit Bingo!

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18523

I didn't even make it halfway through the first page.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Not an audio person but having 20 undergrads take an AB test is pretty shaky as a statistical marker.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KozmoNaut posted:

It's time to play AES Bullshit Bingo!

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18523

I didn't even make it halfway through the first page.

Halfway through the first page? I didn't get past the title without suddenly wanting to punch someone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

Even if you don’t pony up the cash for the 24-bit lossless version and content yourself with a drat-near Paleolithic 320 kbps

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9990-the-20-best-electronic-albums-of-2016/

:jerkbag:

And of course in the /r/audiophile thread where I got the link, one guy was all like "of course I notice lossless vs. 320kbps immediately" :rolleyes:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Continuing to troll this guy:

Go ab your cheap crap interconnect(that you got off ebay or amazon for 10 dollars(which is still a ripoff)) and then make an occ silver interconnect(where all the parts and steps are thought out but this is beyond you). Your right I do listen to equipment and listening on a Chord Mojo + iFi iCanSE, Hugo, 2Qute, or an iDSD or iDSD Black Label is going to be a million times better than almost anything else youve been listening to unless you have a high end well implemented sabre like a matrix etc(Chord will beat Sabre). So when you get it its like listening to equipment cause everything sounds better but eventually you get used to it or even listening to music for a few minutes your mind doesnt stay locked on thinking about the equipment eventually your mind drifts into music and when its higher quality it just sounds better and you get lost in it easier. Go test it out what you cant afford a self made interconnect for 1.50 per foot? that silver wire also looks good that silver plate is shiny braid it up(I even recabled a soundsticks just because it matched so much better than the stock wires that shiny silver braid(its not about the looks but it is a nice secondary aspect) and all clear plastic(youll have to learn how to do this youll get better after you make a few you might have to unbraid your first one and rebraid it a few times before you get it down) and it will amaze you how good it sounds and that you made it yourself(have to get into heatshrink and soldering as well make sure you get a solder tip cleaner machine(hakko) and the tip cleaner paste makes soldering with high end solder easier so that way you can clean the tip and not taint your nice 5% silver solder). Ive resoldered and recabled some iems and the difference was extremely drastic not only were they louder but way more clear thoughout the whole frequency range and these were 400 dollar well reguarded iems(one of the best of the first round of audiophile level universals that came out like 8 years ago). There is a reason 6moons like to recable all their headphones with braided silver plated occ or pure silver it just works. Dont listen to these Digital Infallibility Cheapasses they have no idea what they are talking about. They think they have some inside track or realization on what is a man(trust me they aren't men they are just cynical brainwashes trapped in the rat race and they like to zap other mice in the rat maze that are jumping over the walls and making them look like fools "settle down fastaz let me put the brakes on you" but what I do is ____ the _____________) and Audiophile is just not it to them. AUDIOPHILE IS GOD ALL ELSE IS IRRELEVANT. Its too bad they have no attention to detail and or test things and AB them or do any critical listening.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I am the audio fool

I was wondering why my audio response sounded lumpy and poo poo.

I reversed the polarity on my left speaker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, that'll definitely gently caress stuff up, big time.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Here, read this and laugh

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm going to start re-bottling Thunderbird and selling it as audiophile wine. It will clearly improve your emotional connection with music.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I linked the AES paper earlier. It's the most amazing bullshit

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Audiophile bullshit aside, my favorite part was this:

quote:

They also suggest that the current trend in popular music toward growl-like tones or angry lyrics might have arisen due to their ability to translate well into the compressed file format.

Those kids and their growling angry music :argh:

It's clear they didnt care about conducting a proper study at all and instead just wanted to give themselves another reason to jerk off to classical music.

The fact that they didn't even test the effect of compression on voices proves this even more.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

grack posted:

I'm going to start re-bottling Thunderbird and selling it as audiophile wine. It will clearly improve your emotional connection with music.

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A quote from that 'study'

quote:

The artifacts of MP3 compression are audible when high compression rates (i.e., low bit rates) are used

Music sounds different when you make it sound different? :allears:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sure, pop (edm, rock etc) music are slammed with compression, but actual low bitrate versions of pop music sound more like garbage than classical. Anything with a lot of high end (like, say, the 808 hihats which dominate current music) will sound very bad if it's at too low a rate. You don't need to be a classical-obsessed wanker to appreciate reasonable fidelity.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And that's why very few people use low bitrates like 112kbps CBR for their music, unless they have very specific reasons for trying to save as much space as possible.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

And that's why very few people use low bitrates like 112kbps CBR for their music, unless they have very specific reasons for trying to save as much space as possible.

My work phone system has so little memory you have to really be careful to fit the whole robo choices into the file before the system says screw you. It certainly is impossible to break though drat thing has been running for decades. Good old Nortel.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's certain synth noises I can peg compression on instantly, off the top of my head the lead synth from "Cowgirl" by Underworld still sounds noticeably different even at pretty reasonable bitrates. Not worse, just different.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

96,000 MEGAHERTZ sound, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQUoGFTxwE

And :lol: at the "proprietary subwoofer cable" :v:

With the wide availability of affordable active monitors, why would anyone ever buy a set of inevitably lovely computer speakers?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

qirex posted:

There's certain synth noises I can peg compression on instantly, off the top of my head the lead synth from "Cowgirl" by Underworld still sounds noticeably different even at pretty reasonable bitrates. Not worse, just different.

It's got a lot of pretty high frequencies, which are usually the first to get smashed by compression. The example of the hihats I mentioned above basically applies again here, but that's a really neat example.

I remember compressing all my MP3s to lossy WMA to save space in the early 2000s, and all my bad pop punk suddenly sounded terrible - another genre with loads of hihats! They became this weird flat, dull beep. Super hard to listen to, and even I, a dumb kid with bad logitech speakers could tell it was way worse sounding.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

96,000 MEGAHERTZ sound, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQUoGFTxwE

And :lol: at the "proprietary subwoofer cable" :v:

With the wide availability of affordable active monitors, why would anyone ever buy a set of inevitably lovely computer speakers?

RGB

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Duh, magnetic shielding of course

Also 75 watts of face melting, chest smashing amplification for all drivers including the sub. :boom:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 15, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also 75 watts of face melting, chest smashing amplification for all drivers including the sub.
!!!6500W!!!
pmpo 100% THD

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flipperwaldt posted:

!!!6500W!!!
pmpo 100% THD

My sister had this cheap-rear end 5.1 computer speaker system for a while that advertised 1200W PMPO and was powered by a simple 12V wall-wart.

That poor 12V DC wire (probably 24AWG) would have had to carry 100A :supaburn: I would love to have seen that happen.

In addition the blatant disregard for either truthfulness and/or fire safety, the sound quality was truly abysmal. For instance, you could even hear the kick drum intro to Iron Man. Seriously, that frequency range simply wasn't there.

She's using my old set of Audioengine A5+s now, and loving them.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 15, 2016

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

well why not posted:

It's got a lot of pretty high frequencies, which are usually the first to get smashed by compression. The example of the hihats I mentioned above basically applies again here, but that's a really neat example.

I remember compressing all my MP3s to lossy WMA to save space in the early 2000s, and all my bad pop punk suddenly sounded terrible - another genre with loads of hihats! They became this weird flat, dull beep. Super hard to listen to, and even I, a dumb kid with bad logitech speakers could tell it was way worse sounding.

Cowgirl is one of my favorite tracks to use for testing / equalization purposes do to overall range and ease to listen for distortions. ATB's - Emotion and Too Much Rain also do well.

HFX fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 15, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Let's be audiophiles instead of ridiculing them for a minute; share some of your speaker shopping/calibration tracks. [warning: much '90s music ahead]

• Orbital - The Box (long): this is my kitchen sink song, it has everything: male vocals, female vocals, pads, sharp analog synth, big distorted bass synths, piano, harpsichord and it switches between from totally overloaded wall of sound to very quiet bits. I've listened to it a million times so I know what I want it to sound like. Only problem is having to skip around since it's 26 minutes. Maybe I should do an edit just for testing.
  • Renegade Soundwave - Renegade Soundwave (Leftfield remix): good for checking out "musical bass" and for setting up sub crossover points
  • Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth: Good for pointing out boominess because the bass will squash everything on bad speakers also calms down sales people because it sounds like music they've heard before, at least until the rapping begins
  • Dillinja - Nasty Ways (shy FX): the track has an utter shitload of bass but the heavily processed snares and high hats are what I'm listening for, they get hot/sibilant easily, can cause major stinkface in retail associates
  • Electroliners - Loose Caboose: Good for imaging because it does tons of stereo panning
Overall I guess I picked out tracks I've heard sound wrong on systems I didn't like.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Box is such an awesome track, it's been too long since I've listened to the full one. And yeah, can't go wrong with some Dillinja.

This was always our system test to ensure the speakers could deal with some nasty bass. Off the vinyl copy, not YouTube mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnJ13BSMeL4

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

One thing I've learned from going from bookshelf speakers to studio monitors, is that you want some track that had lovely, made-for-portable-radio production in the sixties. If it sounds anything but horriblly disappointing on the speakers, the speakers are bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This little thing (off of something better than Youtube, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QMiCBJ7yRM

Awesome bass track. Most tracks by Röyksopp or Trentemøller also qualify.

For overall clarity, I have a FLAC rip of this song, which is just amazingly well produced. It has to be this exact version, off of some B&W audiophile test CD or something. The regular version isn't nearly as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFo2wvQEm_s

Aside from the obvious gratuitous high-pitched bell and such for the treble, and the detailed guitar sound, his voice really tears apart speakers that are boomy in the mid-bass.

And of course you should always put on the music you're actually going to be listening to ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04QFKnBIiM

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 15, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

This little thing (off of something better than Youtube, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QMiCBJ7yRM

Original Nuttah is too awesome for critical listening. Goldie and other early Metalheadz stuff is good test tracks IMO because the production is much cleaner than a lot of original jungle, a lot of the oldschool stuff is mixed like garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In fairness, a lot of it was done on trackers and Atari STs in people's bedrooms. Jungle rules, and I found a rad Top of the Pops performance on YouTube of M-Beat doing Incredible, and Levy doesn't let up for a beat. Awesome stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, it's like 80s rap from the SP-12 era, it being noisy and unbalanced doesn't diminish my enjoyment except for certain songs, this one in particular because they totally squashed it. I have this on vinyl and CD and it sounds bad on all of them, especially compared to what "Raincry" [the song they sampled] sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haha yeah, I think the crushing of the samples just adds to the charm of it all. Hardware limitations forcing a style is part and parcel of this kinda stuff, good tune. Nothing funnier than having a dubbed c90 full of banging tracks, hunting down the original and finding there's next to no quality difference.

You're probably one of about 3 people interested in a single php site thing I built a few years. All it does is randomizes slice orders of the Amen break and plays it in the browser. Kinda useless, but every so often it comes up with a gem. http://crucialweb.net/amen