Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol my diehard SC fan buddy just tried Elite cause he got a Vive and I told him to quit being a bitch and just get it. Did a complete 180 from his original position of "lol elite is garbo SC is gonna be a billion times better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they were checking this thread after your request, if they actually try to give you the runaround I'll be impressed.

They absolutely read this thread. Sandi herself confirmed it when she confronted Bluestreak about a post he made (which reminds me I need to get the original email from him as part of my discussion of CIG using off-site activity as part of their actions).

I honestly don't know what to expect. Ideally they would do the math and accept that the cost of fighting me and the various attorneys and agencies I would contact is greater than the price of reimbursement. But CIG also has a history of taking things personally even when it's against their best interest (see Derek's ban, the Escapist letter, and Sandi's letters to me) and it's entirely possible they would do the same here.

I've accumulated a lot of knowledge over my time with Star Citizen. I've also demonstrated that I am a very persuasive writer. If CIG decides to waste my time I have no problem putting those talents to use getting back what is mine. Even if I lose it will cost CIG considerably.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol my diehard SC fan buddy just tried Elite cause he got a Vive and I told him to quit being a bitch and just get it. Did a complete 180 from his original position of "lol elite is garbo SC is gonna be a billion times better."

I have heard Elite in VR is a transformational experience.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I have elite and a vive and all I've managed to do is get into orbit around your starter location (after I got blown up on the pad twice for trying to figure out controls) and I still think E:D is awesome just based off that. Even just going "inverted" and looking out the upper windows as the planet rolls by is so cool.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
lol everyone use throwaway accounts to innocently ask if Star Citizen has VR support

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

hanales posted:

"My friend sandy is amazing, she raised 100 million dollars to make this video game."

This triggers me so bad. Their money was raised via misremembering Crobbit's track record, nostalgia, and objectionable business practices. The only one that is possibly related to Sandi is the last one and it's all poo poo that is in "Shady marketing 101" and is definitely nothing to be lauded.

e: like you don't gotta be a genius to do "Offer people a limited time deal, and after you get maximum buy in, expand it to offer it to more people/for far longer." E.g. LTI. You don't have to be a genius, you just have to be an rear end in a top hat.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

RagnarokZ posted:

Why the hell are the parking sensors that massive? Is that really needed on something that big?

Duhhh....

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bussard_collector

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

And offering a discount for "new cash" isn't even shady marketing 101. It's basically common sense dishonest bullshit. I know it's been said a million times but imagine a real company doing poo poo like this. Imagine Target or Amazon saying your store credit is worth 10 or 20% less than cash. Bezos' head would be on a pike within a week.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Star Citizen: You're more than welcome to go gently caress yourself.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Have u signed up to be a trailblazer yet

We're all trailblazers, if you think about it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was in my discord channel with him and listening to him leave the station the first time was hilarious. Except that now I need to get a Vive haha.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

scrubs season six posted:

This triggers me so bad. Their money was raised via misremembering Crobbit's track record, nostalgia, and objectionable business practices. The only one that is possibly related to Sandi is the last one and it's all poo poo that is in "Shady marketing 101" and is definitely nothing to be lauded.

e: like you don't gotta be a genius to do "Offer people a limited time deal, and after you get maximum buy in, expand it to offer it to more people/for far longer." E.g. LTI. You don't have to be a genius, you just have to be an rear end in a top hat.

This would also fall under dpta laws.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince:

ded

completely

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo they practically run the gamut of Maryland's law.

In Texas if it is found that the violation is willful the state consumer protections board can open an investigation and is not required to notify the person. Potential remedies are fines of 20k per violation and the person or business can be barred from conducting business in the state. There are a hell of a lot of reasons to be scared of this law, and all you really have to do to stay clear of it is not loving lie.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DogonCrook posted:

In Texas if it is found that the violation is willful the state consumer protections board can open an investigation and is not required to notify the person. Potential remedies are fines of 20k per violation and the person or business can be barred from conducting business in the state. There are a hell of a lot of reasons to be scared of this law, and all you really have to do to stay clear of it is not loving lie.

CIG willfully displayed that Squadron 42 had a release date of 2016 even after they revealed at their convention that the game was pushed back to 2017.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Woot! Just in time for CIG's Holiday Live Stream:

Get you some Star Marine and Squadron 42 action*

* Some players may find the game experience too stable for their tastes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just because CIG is at Mardi Gras on a balcony with their top off does not give you permission to look at them and tell other people what CIG's titties look like.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

A while back, OatmealRaisin did this pretty bitchin' LP of Spec Ops: The Line

Does the water supply represent Dreams?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Star Citizen: Face it, you're just triggered.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

scrubs season six posted:

Just because CIG is at Mardi Gras on a balcony with their top off does not give you permission to look at them and tell other people what CIG's titties look like.

Unless they got the beads...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

This is what should be happening, citizens from each state should be filing complaints against cig for their sleezy and deceptive business practices

Hilarity would ensue for they got barred from conducting business in any state , let's see them weasel out of that with their horrible track record of deleting tickets etc

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

This is what should be happening, citizens from each state should be filing complaints against cig for their sleezy and deceptive business practices

Hilarity would ensue for they got barred from conducting business in any state , let's see them weasel out of that with their horrible track record of deleting tickets etc

I agree. I would still forward all communication to the DA in LA(? wherever yall have been sending them) with the most complaints so far and an office there, plus a da that seems to be engaged it helps them build a case. Remember a lot of this comes down to how a reasonable person would interpret what cig said. Having lots of statements helps build that case.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Considering I live in 2 states, I can hit them with that twice. I like it. I like it enough to actually make some phone calls in the morning about it. So that will get Va and Fl covered. Nice.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG willfully displayed that Squadron 42 had a release date of 2016 even after they revealed at their convention that the game was pushed back to 2017.

There's always more, and it's always worse:
"Coming up in 2015, we will launch the FPS module, multicrew ships, the initial planetside/social experience and the first episode of the Squadron 42 single player adventure!"

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

DapperDon posted:

Considering I live in 2 states, I can hit them with that twice. I like it. I like it enough to actually make some phone calls in the morning about it. So that will get Va and Fl covered. Nice.

Most states require a dpta demand letter before proceeding. Every state will be a little different, but because they require demand letters it is very easy to find examples that fit your needs online.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

DogonCrook posted:

Most states require a dpta demand letter before proceeding. Every state will be a little different, but because they require demand letters it is very easy to find examples that fit your needs online.

I appreciate that. I actually have great friend that is an attorney that only charges me billable time at a decent fee. I am sure he could use some extra holiday scratch to birddog that for me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

This sounds kinky. I'm game! :omarcomin:

Pics or it never happened.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They absolutely read this thread. Sandi herself confirmed it when she confronted Bluestreak about a post he made (which reminds me I need to get the original email from him as part of my discussion of CIG using off-site activity as part of their actions).

I honestly don't know what to expect. Ideally they would do the math and accept that the cost of fighting me and the various attorneys and agencies I would contact is greater than the price of reimbursement. But CIG also has a history of taking things personally even when it's against their best interest (see Derek's ban, the Escapist letter, and Sandi's letters to me) and it's entirely possible they would do the same here.

I've accumulated a lot of knowledge over my time with Star Citizen. I've also demonstrated that I am a very persuasive writer. If CIG decides to waste my time I have no problem putting those talents to use getting back what is mine. Even if I lose it will cost CIG considerably.

You probably already have them listed, and I know you were also around for all of them, but these were the main ones I listed. Of course, their letter to the LA DCBA passed them off as "internet heresay"....

Over the past years, CIG has made a habit of shifting policies or promises, starting with what I consider to be, at best, misleading advertising for ships on sale. Using phrases like "never be offered again" or "last time to get this" and then offering those same items for sale later;

LTI being used to convince backers to buy before it was discontinued, being brought back but given only on "new concepts", and then changed again to include ships well past the original "concept" point, as happened with the Caterpiller;

Selling an item with one description, and then significantly altering that item, without informing the backers about the change until it was publicly available thru a version release, as happened with the Xi'an Scout;

Ambiguous, or non-existent definition of core principles and mechanics, which should be fairly well defined in Program Design Documents at this stage, when they are asked about by backers to Mr. Roberts on the 10 For The Chairman series;

Dropping, or at the very least significantly and indefinitely, postponing key elements of the initial promises such as drop-in co-op play, private server support, modding support, VR support.

And, as you are well aware of, there are many other concerns that could be quoted. But the final "breaking point" came with the announcement by Mr. Roberts about the Minimum Viable Product (MVP), with no corresponding specific details on what would consitute MVP, combined with a Terms of Service which, in my opinion, relieved CIG/RSI from any responsibility to actually deliver anything previously promised. These promises, along with your own "pledge", were the rationale for my backing CIG/RSI in the first place.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

those TOS really locked poo poo down for cig, now they can really press on to delivery before the end of the year

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because, you know, VR support is a day 1 design decision, and not just a switch you fli...oh.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The simple fact that they raked in literal boat loads of cash under one version of a TOS

And then changed to a new TOS which specifically handcuffs people from getting a refund (or so CiG thinks) should be more than enough incentive to get any number of federal agencies interested

Sure companies change their TOS all the time , but it would be like Apple suddenly slipping in 'if you try to get a refund for a song , we automatically have claim on your house' into the latest iTunes update

I honestly think no one bothered giving a poo poo before because lol stupid video game nerds , but $100 million plus raises a lot of questions in the real world

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I was in my discord channel with him and listening to him leave the station the first time was hilarious. Except that now I need to get a Vive haha.

If you should decide/accidentally buy two... :rolleyes:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I recommend the Rift because of those sweet exclusives that are coming their way. Vive is good, but doesn't have that gently caress you Facebook money behind it to back it up.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

cool new Polack jokes posted:

(from the arts & crafts section) I love this. I love how adoringly they're looking up at him

It was page 2000 contribution. :). Hail hail hail

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

The simple fact that they raked in literal boat loads of cash under one version of a TOS

And then changed to a new TOS which specifically handcuffs people from getting a refund (or so CiG thinks) should be more than enough incentive to get any number of federal agencies interested

Sure companies change their TOS all the time , but it would be like Apple suddenly slipping in 'if you try to get a refund for a song , we automatically have claim on your house' into the latest iTunes update

I honestly think no one bothered giving a poo poo before because lol stupid video game nerds , but $100 million plus raises a lot of questions in the real world

Yeah the feds can and should get involved. They wont. This is small fry poo poo and as long as they dont misrepresent themselves to a bank or the irs, its not gonna happen. Not before it fails anyways, and at that point it doesn't really matter for the consumer. The states do far more to protect consumers than the feds and thats mostly hosed up, but we rely on victims to right their own wrongs in this country, and that happens in state courts. Consumer laws are generally an attempt to keep the most heinous poo poo from clogging up dockets with obvious fraud cases that nobody feels like pursuing cause fraud is a bitch to prove especially for small claims money.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DapperDon posted:

I recommend the Rift because of those sweet exclusives that are coming their way. Vive is good, but doesn't have that gently caress you Facebook money behind it to back it up.

Also, that gently caress you Facebook data collection.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

we rely on victims to right their own wrongs in this country

considering there's backers at this point who post poo poo about how they've "already got their money's worth" i can't see this happenin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ripptide posted:

Dropping, or at the very least significantly and indefinitely, postponing key elements of the initial promises such as drop-in co-op play, private server support, modding support, VR support.

This is actually the one true weakness of the entire CIG mechanism. Once they accepted the very first dollar for what Chris went public with and outlined what he was offering at a later date, they entered into a consumer based contract. Unless it is a donation to an actual recognized religious institution and it was given explicitly as a donation, then CIG has breached that contract and no signing a new TOS for what you previously paid for is valid. This is as basic as it gets. Cig can deny no one a refund. That is just not how that works in a court of law. Their corporate policy that now has a record of issuing full refunds without question and insisted it, such as Derek Smart as a great example, does not give them the right to deny any portion of a refund after having failed to meet those original obligations without question. And if they are found to have issued refunds for people that purchased in after the new TOS means they can get an unobstructed refund as well.
But back to what I have come to call as The Great Roberts Begging Day, he made specific promises of what that game will have when you signed up to pledge pre-purchase. It does not matter one bit that they had a "vote" on expanding or changing a thing. It does not matter one bit. You bought in for feature X. The moment they removed feature X, you have a legit beef to get your money back with the same amount of interest that CIG profited from having your money to earn compounded interest. And then at any time anyone can open a can of civil suit foot up Chris's rear end for financial infidelity by enriching his personal life using funds that were given so that the game would have feature X in the motherfucker too WHEN he said it would be done. He opened his rear end up big to the person that has a good rainmaker lawyer to throw at it. There is no defense when it is the CEO himself that is making these claims and dates. It just wouldn't be seen that way when you are sitting in that courtroom. And I think before Chris ever gets near that, he will make a very sweet offer to settle before his and Sandi's private life are aired out on public record. Especially not over some refund.

The Agent recently posted Crobbers income and before he was getting this SC money, he was making $90k a year. Not bad money at all. Unless you live in L.A., then it becomes pretty middle class. Not bad if you're single, but if you have a family? Think of Al Bundy and go from there. So now he is making almost a $1mil. maybe that by the next financial reports. That car he has is about $130k and is not leased. They do not lease any custom Porsche's like this that I am aware of. It does have the upgraded Brembo brakes like mine. So he does own it outright. I would be more curious to see if its being written off as a company asset or not.

Tax.

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 13, 2016