Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

There were no good parts there.

There are bad parts, horrible parts, and what on earth are they thinking parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I don't know what the gently caress Wobble Girls is and now I am scared.

Also the worst part of End Times is Age of Sigmar.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I don't know what Wobble Girls is, but do your worst.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hostile V posted:

I don't know what the gently caress Wobble Girls is and now I am scared.

It's a fat fetish RPG that makes some interesting extrapolations about how female anatomy works.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kurieg posted:

It's a fat fetish RPG that makes some interesting extrapolations about how female anatomy works.

Oh yeah! Someone sent us that a long time ago and it was lost when my old computer fried. It's so much more fetish than RPG. The play description is basically just a gross cartoon. Just like "you're fighting the bad guys (which are conservative stereotypes) when suddenly you really need to poop, and then all of a sudden your boobs need to be milked," and you can sorta tell by reading that all these occurrences are occurring without the informed consent of any dice or anything. Just two people improving a little weird fetish sesh.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 12, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kurieg posted:

I dunno why this gets such a weird reaction from me when I'm the guy who was having a big ol' laugh over the horrific sexual practices and standards in that Black Dog book but all I can say is if you start posting Wobble Girls I might dip into a really weird OGL/Flame Princess adventure that is, uh, definitely questionable at the bare minimum to try and one-up you.

Some people who trawl the dregs of the internet might've heard of it, it involves being in a giant statue war machine and being constantly reborn with mutations every time you die and the fact that it's compatible with Lamentations of the Flame Princess should speak volumes.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I thought 2016 couldn't get any worse.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Later, one of Vlad's successors, Manfred von Carstein, would come before the gates of Altdorf. When he did, the Theoganist at the time walked up onto the walls and said 'A man like you and a man like me met here a hundred years ago. I'm game to do it again. Are you?'

Manfred then fled with his entire army at full speed.

Mannlet is worst vampire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LongDarkNight posted:

I thought 2016 couldn't get any worse.
Ha ha ha, fool.

Things can always get worse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We like to imagine Manfred's whole 'bald and muscly and wearing a clam shell of stupid armor' period that you see in 8th edition and also in the Total War Warhammer game are him trying (and failing) to look tough and get taken seriously.

Dude should really go back to the widow's peak and cape and stop trying to sound like he has throat cancer.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Hostile V posted:

Also the worst part of End Times is Age of Sigmar.

In a way, the End Times where a brilliant idea to slowly bring the writing quality down to the new standard.

theironjef posted:

Oh yeah! Someone sent us that a long time ago and it was lost when my old computer fried. It's so much more fetish than RPG. The play description is basically just a gross cartoon. Just like "you're fighting the bad guys (which are conservative stereotypes) when suddenly you really need to poop, and then all of a sudden your boobs need to be milked," and you can sorta tell by reading that all these occurrences are occurring without the informed consent of any dice or anything. Just two people improving a little weird fetish sesh.

So it's FATAL: DeviantArt Edition o__O ?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Night10194 posted:

We like to imagine Manfred's whole 'bald and muscly and wearing a clam shell of stupid armor' period that you see in 8th edition and also in the Total War Warhammer game are him trying (and failing) to look tough and get taken seriously.

Dude should really go back to the widow's peak and cape and stop trying to sound like he has throat cancer.

Real Mannfred

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

theironjef posted:

God, I think I'd rather pass. I already had my quota of 'surprise fetish game' out of the Bundle of Holding's horror deal a few months back where an OGL supplement about haunted houses slowly revealed itself to be a portal to the author's magical realm over the course of reading.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kurieg posted:

I don't think we need that in here personally. I'd like to continue to be able to read the thread on my phone while not at home.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Daeren posted:

God, I think I'd rather pass. I already had my quota of 'surprise fetish game' out of the Bundle of Holding's horror deal a few months back where an OGL supplement about haunted houses slowly revealed itself to be a portal to the author's magical realm over the course of reading.
Was it Hell House Beckons? And funny you mention that, the game I'm talking about is another product by one of the authors in that bundle, the guy who did ViewScream (which is an interesting premise but doesn't really hold a lot of replayability and also it involves a lot of improv).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Hostile V posted:

Was it Hell House Beckons? And funny you mention that, the game I'm talking about is another product by one of the authors in that bundle, the guy who did ViewScream (which is an interesting premise but doesn't really hold a lot of replayability and also it involves a lot of improv).

It was that one, yes. Go read it and see how long it takes you to go from "i'm getting a bad feeling about this" to "oh, okay, that's how this is."

:nms: The weirdly detailed gore pictures make a lot more sense when the guro fetishism becomes more textual, among the many others on display by the end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Prism posted:

I don't think we need that in here personally. I'd like to continue to be able to read the thread on my phone while not at home.

That's the thing though. Other than the art (Which I will not be posting) it's just trends from the bizarre to the disgusting. Definitely nothing worse than what Fields produced.

Like, apparently if your butt gets big enough when you clench your rear end you turn invisible, also you can climb along walls and ceilings propelled entirely by your rear end.

And if your stomach is fat enough you can mind control people by balancing on it.

I can tell that the person who wrote this was definitely getting off on it, but I remotely fathom how.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Kurieg posted:

That's the thing though. Other than the art (Which I will not be posting) it's just trends from the bizarre to the disgusting. Definitely nothing worse than what Fields produced.

Like, apparently if your butt gets big enough when you clench your rear end you turn invisible, also you can climb along walls and ceilings propelled entirely by your rear end.

And if your stomach is fat enough you can mind control people by balancing on it.

I can tell that the person who wrote this was definitely getting off on it, but I remotely fathom how.

This sounds like the terrible conflux of someone trying to combine REALISM and FETISHES. And it turned out that their calculations for rear end size meant you could hide inside your own rear end and become functionally invisible over a certain size.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is making me want to review that d20 tentacle monster supplement.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I was about to get back into WHF when Total War came out only to read up on how loving horrible Age of Sigmar is. No thanks

EDIT: It's a shame WHFRP never covered Lizardmen, because they were my favorite faction next to Vampire Count and not just because my brother and I mained them in the tabletop

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 13, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
The worst part of Age of Sigmar/End Times is the dumb bullshit it pulls with the Elves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mcclay posted:

The worst part of Age of Sigmar/End Times is the dumb bullshit it pulls with the Elves.

I'd always had a pet theory that Malkith really was cheated out of being king, but also that his actions since had proven definitively that whoever cheated him was the smartest motherfucker in all of Ulthuan because he turned out to be a petty, spiteful little prick.

Them going with him being super elf jesus all along when the Dark Elf society is best described as a Slaveocracy is, uh, not how I'd have done it.

Also killing off all the wood elves pretty much from the word go when crazy celtic fairy people in the service to an insane time-bending hellforest was actually cool and creepy sucked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

This sounds like the terrible conflux of someone trying to combine REALISM and FETISHES. And it turned out that their calculations for rear end size meant you could hide inside your own rear end and become functionally invisible over a certain size.

The description literally says that no one knows except maybe you're making your rear end so dense it bends photons away from you.

Which is not how anything works.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Them going with him being super elf jesus all along when the Dark Elf society is best described as a Slaveocracy is, uh, not how I'd have done it.

What if...Elf Hitler was actually good?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

EDIT: It's a shame WHFRP never covered Lizardmen, because they were my favorite faction next to Vampire Count and not just because my brother and I mained them in the tabletop

Zweihander, the 1e heartbreaker, had them as a stretch goal but it was only 13 pages. I imagine they didn't cover them because of the production schedule and Lustria is kind of out of the way. Tomb Kings would have been cool too.

Does anyone know if there are any good fan supplements on stuff like the Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man if you find any tell me.

But I ain't seen much good fanwork for WHFRP2e myself. It's all stuff like adding crit fail tables (which is an awful idea for a lot of reasons)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

The description literally says that no one knows except maybe you're making your rear end so dense it bends photons away from you.

Which is not how anything works.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
New Sgt Nerd post up.

That One Guy and Missing Stairs

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Way of the Wicked - Book 1 - We didn’t start the Fire

We totally did start the Fire.

ACT FOUR: Burning Balentyne (PCs are 4th level)
Cardinal Thorn believes this mission will succeed because no one expects an attack from within, Talingarde is united behind the worship of Mitra and the opposition to evil. Surely no one would aid the savage Bugbears in invading the kingdom. Thorn also does not know the full extent of Castle Balentyne’s defenses and prefers to let the PCs find out rather than leading the attack himself.

It will quickly become obvious that a direct assault is suicidal; unlike Castle Branderscar this place is fully and competently manned. Such a foolhardy attack would be a CR 16+ encounter and the castle would send out ravens requesting reinforcements.

One Hundred Guards!?!
Opponents in Castle Balentyne can be put into 3 groups. The author suggests focusing on the first 2 groups as fighting 100 low level dudes is boring.
The important people in the Castle are Lord Havelyn, his captains Eddarly, Mott, Varning and Barhold, the priest Father Donnagin and the mage Titus. Also included in this group are the Dwarven engineer Barnabus Eisenbauch and Mad Martin the master of ravens.

Three inhuman creatures also inhabit the Castle. A group of Lantern Archons, an Ice Golem and Mad Martin’s raven swarm. They will only be encountered in specific places.

Lastly are the 100 ordinary human guards, servants, dwarves and other mooks.. They can be dealt with easily in small groups but if allowed to mass up they will overwhelm the PCs. Killing their leaders will reduce them to a cowering mass instead of a real threat.

Castle Balentyne

Nice castle you got there, shame if something happened to it.

The castle overlooks the River Tyburn and Lake Tarik to the west. A massive bridge allows access to the Frozen North.

OUTSIDE THE CASTLE
Trees are cleared back 100 yards giving clear line of sight on anyone approaching the castle. About a mile away is the market town of Aldencross.

Here’s the Castle layout, about 4 times as much to explore and gently caress around with as Branderscar.

• 1 - The Dwarven Vault - Deep below the Keep is a stockpile of rations, water and sundries. It won’t be visited during the events of Act 4 unless the PCs force a room by search. There’s a trap door leading to room 2 and a secret door leads to “The Lord’s Dalliance”. More on that later.

LEVEL 1
  • 2 - The Armory - There might be guards here depending on the time of day.
  • 3-6 - The Officer’s Quarters - These rooms house Captain’s Barhold, Varning, Mott and Eddardly respectively. As the senior captain Barhold(LG Human Fighter 7) is most likely to be found asleep in his bed at night, practically defenseless. An excellent opportunity for the PCs to murderize him. Varning(LG Human Fighter 6) comes from a wealthy family and keeps a house in Aldencross, he is unlikely to be found here. Mott(LN Human Fighter 6) comes from a prominent Ghastenhall family and also keeps a house in town. The house is kept by his beautiful wife Kaitlyn, it a loveless arranged marriage. Room 6 is home to the handsome Captain Eddarly(CG Human Fighter 6), his room is full of finery fit for a nobleman. A careful search will also find love letters from Kaitlyn Mott to Eddarly.
  • 7 - The Garderobe - Castle toilet, no encounters here.
  • 8 - The Main Thoroughfare - It lives up to it’s name, during the day the odds of meeting guards, servants or important NPCs is high. At night there will be at least 3 guards in the hallway.
    • 8a - Is the servant’s entrance, the door will normally be open during the day with two guards posted. Above it hangs the Great Seal of Balentyne a great stone slab that is one of the castle’s most prominent features.
    • 8b - This door leads to the bridge over the river. When barred it will present a serious obstacle to Bugbears.
  • 9 - Barracks - The room is full of bunk beds. At night it is three-quarters full of sleeping guards, during the day there will be a few stragglers hanging about.
  • 10 - Kitchens - Castle servants are present at all times of the day preparing meals and carrying out chores.
  • 11 - Pantry - Two days worth of fresh food.
  • 12 - Mess Hall - A place for off duty guards to congregate and take their meals, 3d6 will be found here at any time.
  • 13 - Storeroom - Contains all the odds and ends needed to maintain the castle. Among other things the room holds holds torches, pitch, lamp oil and lumber. The makings of a great distraction for the castle guards.
  • 14 - Vestiary - Changing area for the watchtower’s Clerical detachment. A ladder leads up to room 26.
  • 15a-15e - Acolyte’s Cells - Each is home to a Level 1 Cleric of Mitra. They’ll either be found in room 26 at choir practice or room 27 tending the gardens.
  • 16 - Shrine - Private shrine and meeting place for the watchtower’s Clerics.
  • 17 - Father Donnagin’s Cell - This simple chamber is home to the second most powerful foe in the castle. Father Donnagin(LG Human Cleric 6) is a gentle, caring man beloved by all the guards. He fancies himself an amatuer detective (in the mold of Father Brown) and will help Lord Havelyn investigate any mysterious deaths.

Who would want to hurt this guy? You would; that’s who.

• 18 - The Bridge - It stretches over the River Tyburn which rages far below at the bottom of a deep canyon.
    • 18a - A short drawbridge can be raised to separate the rest of the keep from the Gatehouse. Making sure this is lowered before the Bugbear assault is crucial to your success. The drawbridge is controlled from room 25 which doesn’t seem like the best place but whatever.
  • 19 - Gatehouse Entryway - With arrow slits on the north/south walls and murder holes above this room is pure death trap for any invaders caught here.
      19a - A stupid heavy portcullis blocks entry into the gate house. Breaching it by force would waste valuable time and allow defenders to prepare. Making sure this gate is open is another key part of Thorn’s plan.

• 20 - 21 - Storage - Provisions and water are here to sustain the gatehouse in the event of a prolonged siege. If the castle is under attack there will be 5 archers stationed in each room.

LEVEL 2
  • 22 - Aldencross Gate - This is the gate used by official visitors and patrols heading out to make sure monster aren’t slipping across over the lake. There are always 2 guards posted. It’s not clearly explained in the book but I guess Level 1 is partially below ground in places otherwise it doesn’t make sense that Level 2 also has a ground level exit. The winch to operate the portcullis here is is on the battlement above.
  • 23 - The Walls - Only accessible by narrow stairways, the walls rise 20 feet above the courtyard.
    • 23a - The winch here is always protected by two guards and it is one of the castle’s greatest secrets. It lowers the Great Seal down at 8a providing a stop gap incase the lower levers are taken by invaders. This will buy time for defenders and the only way up from Level 1 would be rooms 10 and 14. The winch is easily sabotaged by removing a widget.
  • 24 - The Bridge of Death - It overlooks the main bridge and gives the perfect vantage point to rain down arrows and stones on any attackers that might get past the Gatehouse. Two guards are always posted here.
  • 25 - Gatehouse 2nd Level - Two massive pots of scalding hot sand sit in the middle of the room ready to pour down the murder holes and annihilate any invaders below. The walls contain arrow slits and also found here are winches the raise and lower the drawbridge and portcullis. There is also a door that leads out to 24.
  • 26 - The Choir Hall - Back in the main keep is the castle’s chapel. During weekly services about 35 guards, all the notable NPCs and the acolytes can be found here. The vaulted ceilings rise 25 feet above the floor and the outer edge is lined with statues of singing MItran saints.

quote:

It may seem to be only an empty church most of the time but this consecrated place is far from unprotected. When this choir hall was first built, the cardinal who consecrated it summoned forth nine lantern archons to fill the chamber with music and to protect it always. Now they hide up among the stone statues of the saints that adorn the high walls. When the choir sings, they hum in sympathetic vibration filling the hall with celestial music. This has led to the rumors about “the singing saints of Balentyne”.
    Any evil dudes or dudettes entering the room will be detected by the archons and if they don’t leave quickly a fight will break out. The archons form Voltron after two rounds of combat and become a Lantern Archon Gestalt (CR8).

• 27 - Courtyard - Back outside in the open air portion of the keep is a well maintained lawn and simple fountain.
  • 28 - Statue - A massive statue of King Markadian I, full clad in heavy armor in the prime of his youth and might.
  • 29 - Garden Shed - Contains yard tools.
  • 30 - Stables - Lord Havelyn’s Warhorse can be found here along with the mounts for Captain Varning’s rangers.
  • 31 - Great Hall - The assembly area for the guards and where the commander meets with important visitors. Two guards are usually found here.
  • 32 - Flag Room - A big open room room ringed by large flags. Stairs lead up into the tower. Two guards are usually stationed here.

LEVEL 3
  • 33 - Gatehouse Battlements - Siege engines dominate the roof of the Gatehouse; there are two massive ballistae and the devices to drop stones on any attackers outside the portcullis. This is one of the most important defensive points of the castle and one of the captains, Barhold, Mott or Eddardly, will always be found here. During the the day Barnabus and his dwarves will be here doing repairs to the fortifications.
  • 34 - Hall of Honor - Two guards are always stationed here; in the event that attackers enter the main keep they push a capstone into the stairwell blocking access to the upper levels. On the wall is inscribed the names of every man that has died defending the castle.
  • 35a-g - Prison Cells - Seven cells in the main keep. Any PC that is captured will be stripped and kept here.
  • 36 - Stairs up to room 39
  • 37 - Torture Chamber - Once used to interrogate prisoners the room has fallen into disuse as Lord Havelyn despises torture.
  • 38 - Tower Archer’s Nest - Another key point of the castle. Stored here are 4000 arrows and the walls are lined with arrow slits. This is a commanding vantage point for defenders to rain down death. Usually unguarded.

LEVEL 4
  • 39 - Guard Room - Two guards will be found here at all times.
  • 40 - Mage’s Laboratory - Your standard mad scientists lab complete with a monster. On a slab in the center of the room is an Ice Golem (CR 5) that the castle’s Magister Tacticus has been repairing. He’ll command it to attack any intruders here.
  • 41 - Mage’s Private Quarters - Bed chambers and study of the reclusive Tacticus of Morimun (LN Human Wizard 6), he’ll either be found here or his laboratory. Arcane spell casting isn’t much loved in Talingarde and the wizard has a sinister reputation with the castle guards. A search of the room will find a locked chest containing his spellbook full of fire spells.

Fire..huh, huh...fire, fire, fire.

• 42 - Guard Room - Will be empty unless the castle is on alert.
  • 43 - The Rookery - Home to Mad Martin (NG Human Commoner 6) and his messenger ravens; this is another strategic point of Balentyne. Martin rarely leaves here preferring the company of the birds, but he will leave for meals and religious services. If not destroyed the raven’s will quickly carry word of an invasion to all nearby reinforcements; without them the response will be too late. If attacked here Mad Martin can call up his ravens of attack as a swarm (CR 3), he will also try to blow his signal horn and call human guards to his aid.

LEVEL 5
  • 44 - Upper Landing - Two guards are always stationed here. There is a trapdoor and ladder leading to the roof.
  • 45 - Guest Room - Room for official visitors.
  • 46 - Lord’s Council Chambers - Conference room of Lord Havelyn, it’s very plain as befits the man. In the northwest corner of the room is a heavy oaken chest that is locked, trapped and alarmed. This is the castle treasury, contained within is 7400gp worth of coins and valuable objects. Notably there are some commemorative coins celebrating the birth of Princess Belinda (the first time we encounter her outside the Gazetteer), 5 potions of cure light wounds and 2 elixirs of truth.
  • 47 - Lord’s Private Chamber - The plainly furnished the room has one distinguishing feature; a portrait of Bronwyn of Balentyne, possibly the most beautiful woman any of the PCs have ever seen. Lord Havelyn has made this area a shrine to his dead wife. Also to be found here is a family bible containing the house lineage. Examination will reveal that the name of Lord Havelyn’s brother has been crossed out, Samuel Havelyn Cardinal of Mitra, this another clue for PCs to the identity of their employer. Lord Thomas Havelyn (LG Human Aristocrat 2/ Paladin 7) is one of the stated targets of your attack on Castle Balentyne; he can be a challenge on his own if given a chance to buff up and if accompanied by his men may very well overcome the PCs.

Portrait of a man who huffs his own farts.

quote:

Once Lord Havelyn is slain, the first PC who touches the +1 champion full plate proficient with the armor watches at the magic armor transforms before their eyes. It is no longer shining plate armor. Instead it become black, baroque armor adorned with the infernal iconography of Lord Asmodeus. It is now +1 dastard full plate.
    Truly, the Dark Lord of Nessus watches these deeds.
    Here’s the kickass armor of our iconic Anti-Paladin.

LEVEL 6
  • 48 - Keep’s Roof - Three guards are always here to watch the surrounding area for any threats. The trebuchet is currently under repair by dwarven engineers and will not be ready in time frame of this AP.

SUGGESTED APPROACHES
That was a lot of castle, but let’s not forget why we’re here. If the defenses of Castle Balentyne can be brought down Sakkarot’s horde will invade Talingrade completing the first step in Cardinal Thorn’s plan. Also his stupid brother will be dead. But you can’t just attach directly, the castle on full alert at full strength will likely crush the PCs and at the very least allow time for reinforcements to arrive. A dollop of sneakiness is the order of the day. The book suggests a few obvious approaches for the GM but as we all know PCs can and will do anything.
Humble Servants - Using the iron circlets PCs can disguise themselves as the castle’s menial laborers. Lowly servant’s can go nearly anywhere in Balentyne and spread all manner of chaos. If the castle is put on lockdown, welp, now they’re trapped in here with you.
Murderous Mice - The secret door in room 1 leads to the Lord’s Dalliance in Aldencross. This passage will let the PCs enter the castle at any time, wreak havoc and slip out. Eventually the passage will be discovered but the damage they can do from within should be irreparable.
Agents of the King - Posing as servants of King Markadian the PCs can gain entrance the highest levels of the Keep. This is a conspicuous position and suspicion will quickly fall on them once trouble starts.
The Lost Patrol - Regular patrols are sent out along the River Tyburn and the southern edge of Lake Tarik; usually Captain Varning and 6 other mounted guardsman. The patrol can be ambushed the PCs can impersonate them to gain entrance to the castle. This ruse won’t last long as the guards know each other well after years of service together.
The Play’s The Thing! - Ye Merrie Men a troupe of traveling actors, led by William Marcus Marlowe, the beloved Bard of Barrington, are set to arrive soon for a one night only performance of their famous play “The Fall of Amberlyn”. The PCs can murder the troupe and take their places to gain access to the castle. They will have a few days before the performance to do their dirty work.

NON-LINEAR EVENTS

Event 1 - Arriving across Lake Tarik the PCs have a range of options on how they proceed. This section of the AP is sandbox-ish, with a concrete goal but no fixed path on how to achieve it. The book presents some events that could occur depending on how they proceed.
Aldencross is accustomed to traders and adventurers so a few more strangers won’t be out of place. The PCs can pick up mundane and minor magic items and potions, at this point they have a hefty pile of money to spend.

quote:

Aldencross
LG small town
Corruption +0; Crime +0; Economy +2; Law +1; Lore +0; Society +2
Qualities pious, prosperous, strategic location
Danger -5
DEMOGRAPHICS
Government autocracy chosen by the monarchy in Matharyn
Population 1,800 (1,500 humans;150 dwarves; 50 halflings; 100 other)
Notable NPCs
Lord Thomas Havelyn, commander of Balentyne and Lord of Aldencross (LG male human aristocrat 2/ paladin 7)
Father Donnagin, priest of Mitra (LG male human cleric 6)
Tacitus of Morimun, magister (LN male human wizard 7)
Bellam Barhold, owner of the Lord’s Dalliance (N male human expert 3)
MARKETPLACE
Base Value 1,400 gp; Purchase Limit 7500 gp ; Spellcasting 3rd
level divine, 4th level arcane
Minor Items 3d4 items; Medium Items 1d6 items; Major Items --

The Lord’s Dalliance is Aldencross’ only inn. Guards and other travelers can often be found here enjoying strong drink and the company of buxom serving wenches. It’s a good place to gather information about the Castle Balentyne and it’s inhabitants. There’s a d20 table of rumors that can be gathered here something that we’ll get any time the PCs stay in one place for an extended time in the AP. Some are true others are false; some are completely irrelevant. Here are a few examples.

quote:

Lord Havelyn is a good soul but so grim and gloomy. For so great a lord to be unhappy, he must be guilty about something! (False. Lord Havelyn is grim and unhappy because of the loss of his true love Bronwyn. It may have been years ago but he never rediscovered his joy after she died.)

quote:

There’s a pack of dwarves in town led by a grumpy short fellow named Barnabus Eisenbauch. They’re here to fix up the watchtower or so I’ve heard. A hard working fellow -- just don’t challenge him to a drinking contest. He’ll drink you under the table every time! (True. Barnabus does have a weakness for strong drink and is staying at this very inn. See below for more details on how this could be used to the PC’s advantage.)

quote:

They say the bugbears are massing up north. I wonder what their up to? Well, it doesn’t matter! We’ll be ready for ‘em! You’d think those shaggy walking carpets would have learned by now that the Watch Wall is unbreakable!{Partially True. The bugbears are massing and the Watch Wall is far from unbreakable. But this is a common belief about town.)

quote:

Did you hear about prisoners escaping from Branderscar? Were they ever caught? (Not yet.)
On the last example we’ll get an entry or two on each rumor table about the consequences of the PCs actions and what is going on in the Kingdom. You the, PC, is making a difference in the world.

Event 2 - Before the Markadian dynasty the Lord’s Dalliance was a brothel. House Markadian outlawed prostitution but they kept the name for the inn. Long before the current royal family a commander of Castle Balentyne had a secret passage constructed leading from the dwarven vault to the inn’s basement so he could meet with his favorite lady. The secret door is well concealed and will be difficult for the PCs to locate if they even know of it’s existence. The innkeep Bellam Barhold does know about the passage and on the first night the PCs stay at the Dalliance he uses it to sneak into Balentyne to liberate some fine elven wine from the vault. Perception checks will reveal someone sneaking around the inn and if they investigate the PCs may learn about the secret door. If Barhold is killed it will raise suspicions and Father Donnagin will investigate. (Guess what my idiot players did their first night in town?)
Event 3 - A group of 11 dwarves are also staying at the Dalliance, they are here as part of a project to rebuild the watchtower defenses. The group is lead by Barnabus Eisenbauch (N Dwarf Expert 4/Fighter 2) and they can usually be found at the inn when off duty. Up in Barnabus’ room is a full map of the watchtower which would be invaluable to the PCs. Barnabus and his men love to drink and can be baited into drinking contests which the PCs can exploit to their advantage.
Event 4 - It is common knowledge among guards and around town that Captain Varning leads a patrol of the wilderness about once a week. Accompanied by 6 other guards the mounted patrol makes it’s way through the wilderness searching for signs of any threats from the north trying to slip across the waters of Lake Tarik. This is a good opportunity to kill a watch captain and a few guards away from the castle and even infiltrate by impersonating them.
Event 5 - Captain Mott and his beautiful wife Kaitlyn are in a loveless arranged marriage, he’s not a bad guy but neglects his young wife in favor of his military duties hoping to secure a promotion and knighthood. Meanwhile the handsome Captain Zack Eddarly has been taking Kaitlyn to pound town. If the PCs can learn of the affair it’s a simple matter to anonymously send word to Captain Mott. He’ll challenge Eddarly to a duel and one of them will wind up dead. If we remember back to character creation “Dueling unto Death” is a capital offense so two guard captains can be eliminated this way.
Event 6 - Once a week Mama Louisa Giuseppe comes up from Aldencross to cook a special beef stew. Years ago her son’s were part of the garrison and she continues this tradition to honor them and the guardsmen. This old woman’s generosity is an opportunity for the PCs to poison the guard killing and incapacitating some number depending on the poison used.
Event 7 - Ye Merrie Men will be performing their current play “The Fall of Amberlyn” in the Great Hall of the Keep a show that will be attended by nearly all the major NPCs in the castle along with 70 guards, all the servants, acolytes and dwarven engineers. This makes a great distraction with which to kill the only major NPC not in attendance, Mad Martin the master of ravens, and other damage to the defenses. If the PCs impersonate the troupe they will have access to the Keep for 24 hours before they are expected to put on the play. There’s some Performance skill checks and if the play goes off well they will be invited to a private dinner with Lord Havelyn, the four captains and Father Donnagin whom will be mostly defenseless. With one fell stroke the PCs could cut off the head of the snake and have the run of a leaderless Castle Balentyne.

VICTORY POINTS
I saved this part for last. As the PCs are doing their best to do their worst behind the screen the GM is keeping track of how much damage they have caused. When the PCs launch their signal rocket and the Bugbear horde attacks this will be the measure of how well they have prepared the way for Der Tag.

quote:

Actions that can gain (or lose) the PCs Victory Points:
• 5 VP Kill Lord Thomas Havelyn
• -10 VP Lord Thomas not dead during assault
• 2 VP each Kill or remove Captains Eddarly, Mott,
Varning and Barhold
• 3 VP Kill Father Donnagin, priest of Mitra
• 4 VP Kill the magister Tacitus of Morimun
• -5 VP Tacitus alive and in possession of his wand of
fireball during assault
• 1 VP Every Five Soldiers non-combatant during assault
(max. 20 VP)
• 3 VP Destroy the Rookery (see room 43)
• 5 VP Open the portcullis and lower the drawbridge
for the Attackers (see room 25)
• 2 VP Destroy the lantern archons (see room 26)
• 2 VP Kill Barnabus the dwarven siege engineer
• 1 VP Every Five dwarves non-combatant during assault
(max. 2 VP)
• 1 VP Sabotage siege engine (see room 33; max. 4 VP)
• 1 VP Sabotage the murder holes (see room 25)
• 1 VP Burn the arrow stores (see room 38)
• 1 VP Sabotage the seal of Balentyne (see room 23a)
• -2 VP Every day after thirty before the attack commences
Remember that Sakkarot can only maintain his horde at peak strength of 30 days, after that things start to fall apart and infighting breaks up his forces.
Based on the PCs victory point score we have a range of results.
20 or less: Premature Attack - The assault fails, most of the horde is killed along with Sakkarot. Cardinal Thorn’s plans are in ruin; the book suggests there is a path forward but it would require the GM to radically alter the entire AP.
21-30: Repulsed - The horde is beaten back but Sakkarot survives. The PCs can try again but another failure wipes out Sakkarot and the horde.
31-40: Hard Fought Victory - Success but at a cost; much of the horde is killed in the fighting and Sakkarot loses an eye in the battle. The fighting takes long enough that villagers from Aldencross are able to flee spreading word of the invasion.
41-50: Victory - The castle falls and there are minor losses from the horde. Sakkarot is unwounded and the horde quickly reforms to march south. Villagers from Aldencross flee south spreading terror and panic at word of the Fire-Axe’s horde.
51 or more: Slaughter - This is total victory, the Bugbear horde overwhelms Balentyne with few losses, overruns Aldencross in a “feast of human flesh and an orgy of death”. Sakkarot’s forces quickly sweep south spreading death and hatred to all mankind.

END OF THE ADVENTURE
With your mission accomplished the PCs should fire off the signal rocket. The Bugbear horde will pour over the landscape to the north in the thousands. Within the hour they will be inside Balentyne battling the remaining inhabitants. Any major NPCs remaining will try to stop the PCs during this time which could make for an interesting climactic battle.
The PCs should remember at this point to break the clay tablet they were given by Cardinal Thorn a few weeks ago. Tiadora will arrive shortly and lead them to a boat waiting on the lakeside. For their faithful service the PCs receive 5000gp in platinum ingots and a hand written note:

quote:

quote:

“Our lord smiles upon your success. Here is a token of my esteem. Use it to rest, recover and strengthen yourselves. Other commands will come when the Knot is needed. Your work has just begun. – A.”
From a promontory, you can see the great bugbear horde camped south of the Watch Wall. Balentyne yet burns behind you. Tiadora remarks, “I have seen no evidence of any army gathering to meet the horde. It seems Zadaria has also succeeded at her mission and has assassinated the commanders. Truly, a great achievement.
“Making matters worse for poor Talingarde, small bands of creatures unaligned with Sakkarot approach the breach, eager to take advantage of the chaos. How could these beasts know already about this break in the Watch Wall? Someone must have told them. Probably best to leave. This region is about to become very dangerous.
“Still, this will not be enough. Balentyne may be broken but Talingarde is yet strong. Soon word will reach the south. The Heartland and the great cities of the Cambrian Bay will marshal their armies. They will meet Sakkarot on the field and it will be far too close to a fair fight. We must
do something about that.
“Come, my lords, your ship awaits. Try not to burn this one.”
Lords. She called you lords. And lords you are. Lords of death and destruction. Lords of evil. Do you remember Branderscar? Do you remember being held down and branded like animals? How far you have come and how long yet the journey before you. Tiadora is right. This is only your first steps along the way of the wicked.
Savor it, this is one of the few times Tiadora will show you any respect. The boat will take you to your next destination, Book 2 - Call Forth the Darkness.

Whew, the first stage of our wicked journey is complete. There’s some good things in this Book but it’s not the best part of the AP. A prison break is old hat but we get some clever twists. The training montage in Act 2 is neat. The trip north to the Bugbear camp give some interesting details but is mostly filler. Act 4 is the a great opportunity for the PCs to shine and think outside the box. All in all I would rank the first book of the AP 5th out of 6. Book 2 is my favorite and I look forward to covering it in 2017.

Acknowledgements: Big thanks to my contributors on this project; Sun Ra and scotch.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

this is neat! Do you have a write up of how your party played through it anywhere?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I just don't understand the reboot. Like, what're the loving stakes now in AoS? I really don't give a gently caress if the Sigmarines get killed in droves because they can come back or some poo poo. Used to be nothing but a dozen normal humans jamming their halberds into some filthy Chaos beast in a desperate attempt to save their homeland, families, payrolls, etc. without getting killed or mutated in the process, and now it's a bunch of golden tincans hitting them with hammers who can't be corrupted and will just come back if the Daemon rips them in two. So dull.

It's a lesser version of why I hate Space Marines too; if all a character does is fight in wars I really don't give a drat if they die, they might as well be robots. It's why I like Sisters of Battle and the Imperial Guard better; they've got poo poo other than murdering xenos/Chaos/rebellious humans to do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SunAndSpring posted:

I just don't understand the reboot. Like, what're the loving stakes now in AoS? I really don't give a gently caress if the Sigmarines get killed in droves because they can come back or some poo poo. Used to be nothing but a dozen normal humans jamming their halberds into some filthy Chaos beast in a desperate attempt to save their homeland, families, payrolls, etc. without getting killed or mutated in the process, and now it's a bunch of golden tincans hitting them with hammers who can't be corrupted and will just come back if the Daemon rips them in two. So dull.

It's a lesser version of why I hate Space Marines too; if all a character does is fight in wars I really don't give a drat if they die, they might as well be robots. It's why I like Sisters of Battle and the Imperial Guard better; they've got poo poo other than murdering xenos/Chaos/rebellious humans to do.

It's because GW is creatively bankrupt, and accidentally invalidated a bunch of their copyrights/proved that you cannot copyright Elfs or whatever, so they wanted to make a totally new setting to be about Deathrattles and Land Marines and Aelfs.

GW is awful.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nuns with Guns posted:

this is neat! Do you have a write up of how your party played through it anywhere?

Yesssss give us stories about how players managed to mess up everything.

These are good LDN, keep doing them.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I really like the victory point scheme

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This section of WotW sounds pretty awesome. Definitely a good way to set up part of an adventure module or path or whatever.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Yeah, I really dig the open ended style, its like a fantasy Hitman map, multiple targets with their own routines, opportunity for disguise antics. its even got a bathroom for you to stand in, mowing down mook troops as they bottleneck at the door.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZeroCount posted:

I really like the victory point scheme

Before anyone starts thinking that pathfinder invented something cool: the victory points concept is from Heroes of Battle (a 3.5 supplement). It was implemented in a few popular modules like Red Hand of Doom.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Man, speaking of Red Hand of Doom. That's such an interesting module, and it ended (For our group) In the dumbest loving way.

I brought a chivalrous Anime Swordsman to the table, along with a pair of brothers playing a Dragon Sorcerer and a 3rd Party Weirdo Psychic Class character. We had other regulars (I remember a shadow wizard and possibly some sort of cleric?), but they don't pertain to this tale. We'd managed to press through 90% of the module, with a few pertinent facts:
  • We had a lot of drop in-drop out players that showed up for a session or two and then stopped attending.

• Anime Swordsman died due to some extremely poor player choices the first session. I re-rolled as a Psion pirate with a golem crew. To this day I have the lead in the most character deaths in that group, and Anime Swordsman still stands as the only death that didn't get reversed somehow.

• This gave us an almost all-caster party. This meant we roflstomped 90% of the module because WIZARDS, but near the end of the module there's a large, protracted series of combats at the climax point of the adventure, and we burned through all our spells by the time we got to end of the siege. It actually got extremely tense.

• The last boss of the siege was unceremoniously two-shotted by a drop-in player playing some random mercenary none of the party had ever met before after a pair of lucky crits.

• It was a pretty constant that Dragon Sorcerer was blatantly, flagrantly overpowered and would nuke encounters out of existence, Psion Pirate was flagrantly overpowered but being constantly overshadowed in that department by Dragon Sorcerer, and 3rd Party Weirdo Psychic Class was weird and useless.
So, the finale: The bad guys have been fended off, now we strike at the Fortress of Doom itself to rid the world of this scourge once and for all, yadda yadda. We're cruising in, kicking rear end, taking names, and we come to the Mountain Fortress's gates an have to fight a mid-boss to actually break into the fortress.
And for the first time in the whole campaign, months of play, sessions and sessions of being a lump, Useless 3rd Party Psychic declares he'll use telekinesis, and rolls a natural 20.

Books are opened, heads are scratched, paragraphs are pored over, rules are found and analyzed. It turns out that the force he's able to apply at that level, with that roll, with all the skill buffs and boosts he'd gotten, was in the 'hundreds of thousands of tons' range. There's this awkward pause.

"...Well, hell. Just tear the fortress to bits, then."

Our poor, long suffering GM threw up his hands at that point, declared that that was what happened, and our useless joke-character lump of a party member suddenly and explosively one-shots, not the final boss, but the final DUNGEON.

The group disintegrated and parted on relatively bad terms after that game, and I haven't gamed with either of the two brothers since then. But it's still a hell of a story, and as much as it led to bad feelings and drama in the aftermath, with a year or two's distance from it, something I can laugh about.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 13, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It's because GW is creatively bankrupt, and accidentally invalidated a bunch of their copyrights/proved that you cannot copyright Elfs or whatever, so they wanted to make a totally new setting to be about Deathrattles and Land Marines and Aelfs.

GW is awful.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens to 40k at some point too since GW has shown that they can't defend their Space Marine copyright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's a reason they've really pushed forward with calling them "Astartes" and similar in tie-in media, IIRC.