Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I finished up my playthrough of the Witcher 2, so I suppose it's time for the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Typically this happens because their positions for the scene and their positions outside of the scenes don't line up. Since our characters can't actually walk backwards, if there is a mismatch on where the NPC is standing and where they WANT to be standing, they may need to take a few steps forward before they can turn around.

Is there an easy to explain reason for why they cannot go backwards for those of us who do not make games?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Is there an easy to explain reason for why they cannot go backwards for those of us who do not make games?

I'm a quest designer, AI pathfinding is black magic to me.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Typically this happens because their positions for the scene and their positions outside of the scenes don't line up. Since our characters can't actually walk backwards, if there is a mismatch on where the NPC is standing and where they WANT to be standing, they may need to take a few steps forward before they can turn around.

This explanation is both hilarious and confusing in equal measure.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Wouldn't it increase the complexity for path finding massively (as you'd have to consider any backwards move or three point turns), that would be my assumption especially combined with having an actual turning radius.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I've begun calling the walking shove at the end of conversations "The Novigrad Goodbye".

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does anyone in the game not suck?

I'm like level 13 and just got to Novigrad and I don't think I have come across one character who is not a deplorable rear end in a top hat.
Maybe Ciri and the Bloody Baron's daughter are ok.

I'm pretty ok with that too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zoltan is cool

Roche is a bro but I'd hesitate to call him a good person

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Triss is one of the less bad sorceresses outside of her magical book-mandated Geralt obsession. Her moralizing in this game is irritating though. People are constantly giving Geralt poo poo about being boring and hypocritical about his neutrality so where's the pushback against Triss, hmm?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm like level 13 and just got to Novigrad and I don't think I have come across one character who is not a deplorable rear end in a top hat.

The onieromancer chick is cool. Keira is cool. The halfling kid or whatever Johnny is cool. Dandelion's fashion-forward elf friend is cool. The medieval pop singer is cool. Geralt's bromance with Djikstra is cool.

Also I♥Triss.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Paul Zuvella posted:

For a limited time only, check out Skellige for your not-deplorable character needs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

redbackground posted:

The onieromancer chick is cool. Keira is cool. The halfling kid or whatever Johnny is cool. Dandelion's fashion-forward elf friend is cool. The medieval pop singer is cool. Geralt's bromance with Djikstra is cool.

Also I♥Triss.

Kiera was lame af and I straight merced her rear end

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kiera was lame af and I straight merced her rear end

:saddowns:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a lot more decent people in Skellige, or so it seemed to me, and in Toussaint of course. Plus all the main characters are basically goodies.

Edit: what up fellow Keira killer

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If you don't specifically program and animate characters to walk backwards they can't walk backwards. If they already are able to turn and walk forward they can get anywhere they need, so why spend time on doing something rarely needed?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I mean in his situation, Lambert never finds love or happiness which I am 100% okay with.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lambert rules though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lambert is anti-troll so I'm anti-Lambert

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trolls are good. Trolls eat people but people are bad, so trolls are good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They're great artists

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Lol yeah, you're pretty much treated like poo poo throughout entire Novigrad. In Skellige you get treated like an old friend.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The Witcher Wild Hunt: "The Novigrad Goodbye"

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm getting back into the game as I finally got the DLC, haven't played in about a year and a half. Originally I had played through it on the the B&BB difficulty level and found it pretty reasonable, but for some reason I've been getting my rear end kicked badly and had to turn it to the lowest setting to get through a few battles and now I feel like babby.

Is there something I might be forgetting or neglecting to do? I feel like I'm doing everything I did before but with much worse results and I'm getting annoyed, because this is not a difficult game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm just leaving White Orchard and I feel like this game has way to many armor/weapon crafting ingredients and way too many flowers. Is there any guideline on what to keep/collect?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Keep everything. Crafting ingredients no longer count toward encumberance

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

I'm just leaving White Orchard and I feel like this game has way to many armor/weapon crafting ingredients and way too many flowers. Is there any guideline on what to keep/collect?

Don't bother going out of your way to pick up flowers, just buy from herbalists. They're usually cheap as hell.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Is there a reason why Roach vanishes on the PC sometimes? I whistle and nothing, I've got a save game where I'm mounted up and when I load it I'm back on my feet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a reason why Roach vanishes on the PC sometimes? I whistle and nothing, I've got a save game where I'm mounted up and when I load it I'm back on my feet.

Try cast a sign and call him again, sometimes that helps for whatever reason.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

omg chael crash posted:

You will only need a couple of herbs of each kind.

Really the only things you should keep on your person at all time in small quantities are Redanian herbal, cherry cordial and mandrake cordial, which can only be purchased, never found, so it will save you some frantic shopping if you buy some when you see them even if you don't need them immediately.

As for armor and weapons crafting, keep pretty much everything, the high grade materials are rare, and in a pinch you can craft them from lower quality items, which is MUCH cheaper than buying them. NEVER throw away dimetrium or anything that can be broken up or upgraded to dimetrium.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Paul Zuvella posted:

There was that affable bald merchant guy in the White Orchard pub who led you to Yennefer. Can't forget about him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

omg chael crash posted:

If you're not playing on Death March you can 100% ignore crafting.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

omg chael crash posted:

Just grab everything, only go out of your way to craft Witcher Gear, which comes from recipes you can find around. Definitely poke around with Alchemy stuff as well but don't get obsessed with making everything perfect.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also while Witcher gear is the best stuff in the game you really don't need to min-max in this title so craft weapons and armor that you like.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

omg chael crash posted:

The only flower you need a lot of(like 200+) is arenaria, you can safely sell or don't pick anything else.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Vesimir?
The herbalist in White Orchard seems to be a decent person as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd say pick them up at first, you'll soon get a feeling for what you don't really need.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I still can't believe after all the updates and two major expansions, han fiber and arenaria still share the same model in the wild.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

I often have to whistle twice. Maybe it's a quirk of the game, maybe it's a bug. It would be annoying, but the horse is essentially teleporting to me so I guess I should cut it some slack.

Wrt herbs: gather up a bunch of balisse fruit in White Orchard, I remember needing that for a fair few potions and not being bale to find any. I think it only grows in White Orchard and no merchant I saw ever had it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm still salty that apparently merchants in my B&W version don't sell any of my missing bomb/potion recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

If you're not playing on Death March you can 100% ignore crafting.

Ehhhhhh I'd argue that witcher gear is worth it, even on easy. Just making sure that you're crafting the highest level of your available witcher gear set is, in my opinion, an easier way of making sure your gear is up to snuff than stopping to compare stats on all the random drops you find. It also reduces your odds of looking like a homeless clown with mismatched armor.