Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'd prefer that to the standard fly 10hrs, stopover in Singapore for a few hours in the middle of the night when everything is closed. Then add another 10 hours of flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If I ever get the bug up my rear end to see Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji, I have every intention of going Emirates or Etihad business class on twin A380s from Dulles. Going, that's about 26h in the air with 2 1/2 on the ground as a layover. Coming home to DC I'd go QF7 to DFW and fly whatever shitbox is cheapest to IAD to say I'd gone ~around the world~.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If I ever get the bug up my rear end to see Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji, I have every intention of going Emirates or Etihad business class on twin A380s from Dulles. Going, that's about 26h in the air with 2 1/2 on the ground as a layover. Coming home to DC I'd go QF7 to DFW and fly whatever shitbox is cheapest to IAD to say I'd gone ~around the world~.

Wrong way around the world. You'll get royally hosed by jet lag. You want to go US->Pacific->Asia->Europe->Atlantic->US

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm here to tell you round the world ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Postal posted:

Wrong way around the world. You'll get royally hosed by jet lag. You want to go US->Pacific->Asia->Europe->Atlantic->US

This times a billion. Don't go east.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fine, then in reverse. Cheap shitbox to DFW, QF8 to Sydney, then Emirates or Etihad back to IAD. And I know it's not all its cracked up to be, plus such a trip in business class would cost about as much as my car.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Do it in economy like I did LAX-SYD every few weeks for half a year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dannywilson posted:

I only ever flew as PAX/MRT status on them, but once we were in the air, there was a little hidey hole in between the forward-most aft-facing PAX seats and the half-wall that I was compact enough to sleep in. But yeah, 14-16 or so hours on that thing going to Japan was not very fun.

I cannot remember what we called that, but yes, it owned.

IIRC my longest was just shy of 17, but that was plenty. At about the 13 hour mark (WTF?) the lav was getting close enough to full that the MCC put all the men on "bottle refill team" to avoid a worse situation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Now that's an unusual mispelling of Qantas.

holocaust bloopers posted:

gently caress that sincerely.

Better than the same flight with a stopover in SIN or DXB.

e:f;b

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Isn't it just a bit crazy that we can make aircraft that carry passengers and stay aloft for that long?

Also, the longest flight I have been on was from Atlanta to Rome (9 hours), and I would request an anesthetic before being airborne for 17 hours.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
My record is JFK->PVG on China Eastern, about 15 hours gate to gate. Being tall and broad and next to a smelly businessman made it bad, the fact that the tray tables on their 777-300ERs don't account for the mild nose-up attitude in flight and your food tray slides into your lap unless you hold it made it worse.

gently caress China Eastern, never again

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Godholio posted:

I cannot remember what we called that, but yes, it owned.

Best part was that there was, I believe, an avionics exhaust vent that kept you nice and toasty right there, and the seats above you kept it dark. Whereas the spot by the breaker panel was nice, but high traffic enough that you got woken up every 10 minutes due to light or people wandering by.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EightBit posted:

Isn't it just a bit crazy that we can make aircraft that carry passengers and stay aloft for that long?

When Boeing and Airbus have shiny new models, they like to show off by delivering it the long way around, which is how we get most of these records.

21,602.22 km, more than half the Earth’s circumference, and aloft for 22:22.

My worst long flight was fourteen hours to the South Pacific, on a full plane, in front of an exit row so my seat didn’t recline. gently caress that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EightBit posted:

Not to mention the fact that it's being done with a twin-engined 787-9 (presumably modified for long range), not an A380.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress that noise, SFO-Frankfurt was bad enough.

On the other hand I've always regretted not taking that one alternate booking where I would've flown from the UK to DC via Singapore.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder what it sounds like to have your head 4 feet away from the compressor stage of a J75.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM&hd=1

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I did a 13 leg RTW fare in biz. I regularly fly biz for work.

I flew lax dxb in economy on sold out flights both ways and it wasn't that bad. Bring snacks, drink a lot of water, wear an eye mask and earplugs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dannywilson posted:

Best part was that there was, I believe, an avionics exhaust vent that kept you nice and toasty right there, and the seats above you kept it dark. Whereas the spot by the breaker panel was nice, but high traffic enough that you got woken up every 10 minutes due to light or people wandering by.

At least the JTIDS terminal was good for something, even if the ASO didn't know how to read a loving OPTASKLINK/the comsec vault deleted the necessary crypto "accidentally."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 14, 2016

marumaru
May 20, 2013

17 hours on a plane sounds like heaven compared to making a 6-hour stop at Panama during their summer with no AC working on the terminal

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That Perth flight will depart from the domestic terminal (makes sense right), because most passengers will probably be coming from the eastern states so thats another ~3-4 hours of connecting flight before/after the 17 hour flight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

drunkill posted:

That Perth flight will depart from the domestic terminal (makes sense right), because most passengers will probably be coming from the eastern states so thats another ~3-4 hours of connecting flight before/after the 17 hour flight.

but today that's happening anyway, right?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, except you're stuck in a new Dubai, Hong Kong or Singapore terminal instead of Perth.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 12, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Trump tanked LM and others this AM

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/808301935728230404?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Countdown until we announce new procurement deals with Mikoyan and Sukhoi

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

"The F-35 only has one engine, while the Russian planes have two. Sad and stupid!!! #redunceancy"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Better dead undancy than red undancy. :clint:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Let's just wash our hands of the F-35 entirely and buy Silent Eagles instead. Or F-16XLs :allears:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Sagebrush posted:

Let's just wash our hands of the F-35 entirely and buy Silent Eagles instead. Or F-16XLs :allears:

No that is a bad idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think the Silent Eagle would be awesome.

Have any actually been built? Let alone sold?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

Maybe: http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a18052/boeings-stealthy-f-15-silent-eagle-israel/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
China wants a couple to help with J-20 development then?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mortabis posted:

No that is a bad idea.

well see there's this thing called the Sunk Costs Fallacy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

No. All the pictures are renders or a 1:1 mockup.

Israel still hasn't ordered anything, and the only serious F-15 sale going on is to Qatar. But Boeing is trying to sell the USAF on an F-15C mod that'll double the number of missiles. I think it stands a fair chance of actually selling a few.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

It's more than that, for all we poo poo on the f35 the stealth is a massive game changer; SAM systems aren't getting worse with time. The Silent Eagle etc might have lower RCS than their base model counterparts, but they're hardly stealthy.

If the choice was that or the Raptor it'd be a different story, but for better or worse we're more or less stuck with the f35 if we want to maintain air supremacy against near peers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Silent Eagles would be ideal for Canada, actually. Twin engines, potential for multirole but primarily air defense, not too expensive to maintain. gently caress the F-35 and the Super Hornets are just boring.

So Canada will probably just buy a bunch of Super Hornets.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

No. All the pictures are renders or a 1:1 mockup.

Israel still hasn't ordered anything, and the only serious F-15 sale going on is to Qatar. But Boeing is trying to sell the USAF on an F-15C mod that'll double the number of missiles. I think it stands a fair chance of actually selling a few.

I thought Qatar was getting Dassault Rafales?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

They have both on order.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

StandardVC10 posted:

Qatar currently has an air force of just 12 aircraft (Mirage 2000). They want to move to a bigger format with an air force of 72 aircraft. To that end they asked the USA for F-15. Israel said "no aircraft for Arabs", so the USA sat on that demand. Qatar then bought a first order of 24 Rafale, with an option for 12 more. The USA then said "okay, you can buy up to 72 F-15".

Given how they don't seem to be in a hurry to retire their Mirage, you can assume that they already have 36 of their 72 aircraft covered by the French; and potentially 48. They're likely to still go for some F-15, try to get on the new US president's good side, because Gulf countries use dual sourcing for political purposes and it'd make sense that they'd try curry the favor of America once "the President that likes Iran" go away, but an order for 72 seems unlikely. I expect they'll use the same format as for the Rafale: 24 with 12 more in option.

Gervasius posted:

They have both on order.

No, no orders yet for the F-15. All that happened is that they have Uncle Sam's authorization to conduct commercial negotiations with Boeing. Who knows when and how many they'll order.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Osprey crash off of Japan, apparently the crew's all safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Sunk costs fallacy is that you feel compelled to continue something just because you started it even though an alternate approach would be more beneficial if you changed.

The F35 still has an enormous potential and I am not aware of an alternate path that would actually perform better or be cheaper if we switched to it.