Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
When you're 6'7", you just might outreach a kangaroo's kick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw&t=18s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
First bjj tournament trip report! I did the Good Fight Winter Open. Submission only, gi and no gi. I’ve only got partial video for the fourth match for now, so the rest are my fuzzy recollections. This is long but hopefully mildly amusing. I’m a blue belt, male 145 lbs.

Match 1 (gi) - My first attempt at organized athletic competition since childhood little league about 18 years ago. I start fighting for grips and fall down somehow into half guard. I make a known mistake that I had just been working on a week ago - grab a lazy underhook out of habit and get darced in 33 seconds. Welp.

Match 2 (gi) - More composed this time. Lots of gripfighting, I struggle with his stiffarming despite my reach advantage. We both have partial success with some trips, I end up on my knees and jump closed guard. I get a hand in the collar, but as I waffle between trying to lock up the cross choke or work a scissor sweep series, he starts to pass and I end up ¾ mounted fighting off an americana. I extend my arm, he goes for the straight armlock, and I somehow end up on top, still in an armbar but stacking successfully. He spins under and goes belly down, I fail to step over, get stuck and tap.

Match 3 (no gi) - Same guy as match 2. Again we take our time working on the feet. I get the two on one control I want, but it doesn’t work out. He ends up shooting and I sprawl my way to a front headlock. I look for chokes but can’t find openings. I spin to his back. Still keeping a super tight turtle with no obvious openings to seatbelt. I reach into his far leg to start working a spiral ride as my choking arm tries to tighten up around his neck. I start to expose his back and think about getting the lower hook,but in the transition he snatches up a quick kneebar that I did not see coming at all. Yowch.

Match 4 (no gi) - My longest match by far. Some gripfighting - once I get close he sits guard. I start to pass but end up in closed guard. Lots of fighting over posture. Things are very slippery as I struggle to break open his guard, he repeatedly breaks my posture and I struggle back up. Eventually I create some space and over/under stack pass, but he does a great job with framing and I’m never quite able to settle my weight on him. He straightens out as I stand up and try a backstep pass. He gets on top and stands up for a sec before I tripod sweep him back down. He starts to recompose, and I get a good grip on his ankle. In my biggest regret of the day, instead of falling back for the straight ankle lock, maybe my best sub, I hesitate and stare at him for a moment as he pushes his foot through and closes his guard. Sonofabitch. He goes for an armbar, it’s close but I escape and start to pass again. This time my foot gets snatched up in half guard. I get a kimura grip, get excited, forget about my foot and try to finish from a north south-like position while sitting on my butt with my foot still stuck. Obviously he pops right up, I try a brief bullshit armbar from the bottom then recompose my guard. Now I’ve got him in my seated butterfly, one of my better positions, but I don’t get a good grip and he sits right back down. I come up right away and nearly mount him, but he bumps, I get an overhook and we both stand up. We gripfight and he sits down again, I dive in with a knee slide as he does, a scramble ensues. I end up mounted and he goes for an s-mount armbar, but I get my knee in to shut it down. I come up, nearly pass again, but get caught again in closed guard. Tired and little frustrated I quickly get triangled and tap.

So, a rough day competitively speaking, but I’m pretty satisfied for a first try. Every match was different, and I did progressively better as they went along - starting with getting stomped, to intelligently defending before getting caught, to starting to attack, and finally a good back and forth match that I feel I could’ve won with a clearer head. I’ve got lots of specific things to work on now. Planning on competing again in February, so I’ve got a pretty nice blueprint for my development from now til then. Also had fun and bonded with my teammates a lot. In that regard, great success.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Congrats on the competition experience! Just going out and competing puts you ahead of so many other people, regardless of results.

Question: I need a new judo gi and Hatashita doesn't have the size I need - where do you folks buy your gear?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hi liter posted:

Congrats on the competition experience! Just going out and competing puts you ahead of so many other people, regardless of results.

Question: I need a new judo gi and Hatashita doesn't have the size I need - where do you folks buy your gear?

I like Jukado for all of my judo needs. They're not a top-level gi but they're good enough and I feel that for a practice gi to buy 3 for the price of one mizuno keeps laundry easy. Plus they have a Canadian HQ.

http://www.jukado.com/

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Decades your matches sound fantastic, congratulations on the experience

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In BJJ, is there a requisite period of time that a black belt needs to have been at black belt level before they are able to promote other black belts (or to any rank, really)?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

In BJJ, is there a requisite period of time that a black belt needs to have been at black belt level before they are able to promote other black belts (or to any rank, really)?

Depends on the association. I'd say it only vaguely matters cause I think IBJJF has rules about it and if you don't get your black in their specific way they may not let you register in their tournaments at that level. I could be wrong though. I sorta remember there being drama about it a year ago or so.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 8, 2016

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Under IBJJF rules, you must be a 2nd degree black belt to promote to black belt. Each degree takes 3 years and black belt starts with no degrees so it is black belt then 3 years then 1st degree black belt then 3 years then 2nd degree black belt. So you would have to be a black belt for 6 years to promote someone esle to black.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

Under IBJJF rules, you must be a 2nd degree black belt to promote to black belt. Each degree takes 3 years and black belt starts with no degrees so it is black belt then 3 years then 1st degree black belt then 3 years then 2nd degree black belt. So you would have to be a black belt for 6 years to promote someone esle to black.

That 0th degree to 1st degree is a weird thing. Why doesn't start at 1st degree (shodan)?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
No clue as to why they have a 0 degree black belt but under IBJJF rules black belt degrees are meaningless anyway. They are purely time in grade recognition and are automatically granted. Other than the ability to promote to black belt at 2nd degree the degrees are not meaningful.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Big new rule changes for Judo - actually making things simpler

https://www.ijf.org/news/show/adapted-rules-of-the-next-olympic-cycle

Quick hits

-Matches are now 4 minutes
-No more gripping penalties
-No more yuko score
-Leg grabs not instant lose
-3 penalties is Hansoku Make, instead of 4.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Does that mean you can use two hands to strip a grip now?

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Anyone have any recommendations for a BJJ gym in Singapore? I'm going there to be an exchange student in January and I'd like to continue doing BJJ. I have trained for a bit over 3 months so beginner friendly gym would be nice. Id wish it to be reasonably easily reached from the campus of NUS with public transport. That the most important thing to me.

It's a bit of a far fetch to ask here but I distantly remember someone asking the same thing some time ago.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Does that mean you can use two hands to strip a grip now?

I think it's ok. You can even use pistol grip and fingers in the sleeve now.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mursupitsku posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a BJJ gym in Singapore? I'm going there to be an exchange student in January and I'd like to continue doing BJJ. I have trained for a bit over 3 months so beginner friendly gym would be nice. Id wish it to be reasonably easily reached from the campus of NUS with public transport. That the most important thing to me.

It's a bit of a far fetch to ask here but I distantly remember someone asking the same thing some time ago.

Evolve MMA

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

JaySB posted:

Evolve MMA

Seconding this. I just came back from a week trip in Singapore at the end of November and did early morning classes at their Orchard central location. The classes had a good mix of levels, everyone was very friendly, and learned some new moves. They seem to be really well setup for travelers.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick trip report from my first BJJ tournament. Overall I'm not all that happy with my performance but it is what it is. I competed at white belt level at 167lbs, had two matches. Lost both.

Leading up to the matches waiting in the bullpen feels a lot like the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan. The waiting is what kills you.

Match 1: Decent amount of standup, a lot of back and forth. I managed to sprawl when the dude shot but my legs weren't back far enough so he got the take down. I recovered guard. Dude then went for a bunch of cross chokes. I defended them, tucked the chin, didn't really feel like I was danger. I managed to reverse and got pulled into his guard. Had a hell of time trying to break open his guard which I think is where the majority of the time went. He tried a couple of sweeps which I fended off. I ended up in half-guard a few times managed to catch an underhook and get myself out. Some more unsuccessful guard breaking on my part. At that point I was down 11-0. Ref stopped the match with 15s left because apparently I had a bloody lip. I didn't ask for it, didn't seem like a big deal. First aid came over with some gauze and dabbed it a bit. poo poo, I'll take a breather if they offer. Last 15s I manage to sweep and get the guy in side control. Buzzer goes off. 11-3 final, his. Overall, I feel like I was too passive/not aggressive enough. My instructor said I could've had him and that I had an answer for everything he threw at me, I just stayed too defensive.

Match 2: Much taller guy. Only had a few minutes to recover from my last match. I was pretty much gassed. Did a bit of standup but the dude just out wrestled me, got me on the ground, took mount and Americana. This is the one that hurts the most.

All in all, I'm glad I participated. I think the thing that most surprised me was the speed of the rolling. You need to be quick as hell to pull something off. Not feeling so hot at all right now but I'll be back at class this week with a lot of stuff to think about/work on.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 12, 2016

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I think my bjj prof was grooming my gf to be his sidepiece. I don't think she was the first either. Is this a 'thing' for instructors nowadays or something? I'm not giving details cuz this ain't e/n.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
If it is, the instructors at my gym are missing out. Some of us don't even have main pieces!

I'm gonna go with "That is a weird, abnormal and uncool thing for an instructor to be doing. Don't be doing that"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

switch gyms immediately

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

also give us the details

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

"He really understands me" "we have like the same personality" "we have the same sense of humor" "I trust him more than anyone" "I feel an emotional connection to him" add secret private lessons and physical therapy sessions, a dash of deleted Facebook messages and there you have it. He's 50 and she's 25. They both deny anything ever happening. He seems genuinely oblivious yet he mysteriously deleted all of his FB messages too...

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

And like you ain't nobody until you're a blue belt, at which point your welcome to have free extra open mat sessions with higher belts. Unless you're a hot girl white belt who is "super dedicated" then apparently you can come too. The first chick would very strangely get really jealous whenever prof was showing my gf one on one attention in class then like ramp up her intensity when they rolled. It's weird cuz it all falls in the category of "could be completely innocent/coincidence but also could be super creepy"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Omglosser posted:

I think my bjj prof was grooming my gf to be his sidepiece. I don't think she was the first either. Is this a 'thing' for instructors nowadays or something? I'm not giving details cuz this ain't e/n.

lovely and frowned upon but unfortunately not unique.

Actually I was just thinking of guys banging female students. I haven't heard of poo poo like that outside of TLI rumors.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 14, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I left my first school for something similar. I wasn't involved in any way but I realized that the owner was a weird creep.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I left my first school for something similar. I wasn't involved in any way but I realized that the owner was a weird creep.

Sucks I can't get 100% proof, he's seen as a saint so it would be a pretty big upset. I can definitely see how these guys can start to feel untouchable. Connection to cops, the reverence of being a world-traveled black belt, the appeal of joining the super close-knit group of martial artists in *the best martial art. Trust from 99% of your students and you can prey on the girl who came to improve her self confidence.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Instructors dating students is extremely frowned upon in our association, to the point that people have left the school because of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Men abusing their positions of power? Why I never

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Omglosser posted:

And like you ain't nobody until you're a blue belt, at which point your welcome to have free extra open mat sessions with higher belts. Unless you're a hot girl white belt who is "super dedicated" then apparently you can come too. The first chick would very strangely get really jealous whenever prof was showing my gf one on one attention in class then like ramp up her intensity when they rolled. It's weird cuz it all falls in the category of "could be completely innocent/coincidence but also could be super creepy"

Yea, that's super lovely. Get out dude. Even if the gf thing is completely innocent and or coincidental your coach shouldn't make you feel this way. BJJ is supposed to make you feel better not more anxious. Find another gym.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I literally could not do a drat thing if my professor chose to cuck me which is why I'm glad he is a loving husband and father

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you consider that Harvard passed a "teachers cannot date students" academic regulation and that it passed entirely without controversy, which for university professors to allow a restrictive regulation to pass without anything resembling resistance is completely unprecedented in the history of the western academy, should indicate how not cool that whole situation is.

:sever:, and I hope that you find a new hugfight happy place, and that your relationship with your GF isn't hurt because of this whole crap.

"Free private lessons" jesus christ. The instructors at my little podunk gym don't even want to be in a room alone with younger female students lest rumours get started or accusations arise. e. haha free "secret" private lessons even.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

I literally could not do a drat thing if my professor chose to cuck me which is why I'm glad he is a loving husband and father

Bro I was so loving paranoid. If true this poo poo would devastate his entire life. He wanted to come talk it out at our house and I said only if a third party can be present as a witness in case I "attack him in a jealous rage" and "accidentally" get choked to death. Suddenly he couldn't come by anymore when I was adamant about a third party being there. I keep my knife on me. FMA>BJJ on the streets bruh. He insists that he really likes me and wants me to come back. I'm not going to. No loving way. When I firmly confronted my girl about what was going on she had such a bad anxiety attack she went into convulsions. Yet she still wants to go class.

KildarX posted:

Yea, that's super lovely. Get out dude. Even if the gf thing is completely innocent and or coincidental your coach shouldn't make you feel this way. BJJ is supposed to make you feel better not more anxious. Find another gym.

I've honestly never felt comfortable there. He and his lackeys always kinda would make eye contact and look away real fast with me. His eyes would light up when my girl walked in and he'd immediately start making "innocent" sex jokes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Omglosser posted:

Bro I was so loving paranoid. If true this poo poo would devastate his entire life. He wanted to come talk it out at our house and I said only if a third party can be present as a witness in case I "attack him in a jealous rage" and "accidentally" get choked to death. Suddenly he couldn't come by anymore when I was adamant about a third party being there. I keep my knife on me. FMA>BJJ on the streets bruh. He insists that he really likes me and wants me to come back. I'm not going to. No loving way. When I firmly confronted my girl about what was going on she had such a bad anxiety attack she went into convulsions. Yet she still wants to go class.

I've honestly never felt comfortable there. He and his lackeys always kinda would make eye contact and look away real fast with me. His eyes would light up when my girl walked in and he'd immediately start making "innocent" sex jokes.

Wait what - it got to that point and you always felt uncomfortable and you're still going there?

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's depressingly common

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

If you consider that Harvard passed a "teachers cannot date students" academic regulation and that it passed entirely without controversy, which for university professors to allow a restrictive regulation to pass without anything resembling resistance is completely unprecedented in the history of the western academy, should indicate how not cool that whole situation is.

:sever:, and I hope that you find a new hugfight happy place, and that your relationship with your GF isn't hurt because of this whole crap.

"Free private lessons" jesus christ. The instructors at my little podunk gym don't even want to be in a room alone with younger female students lest rumours get started or accusations arise. e. haha free "secret" private lessons even.

Thanks man. Private lessons took place in his basement lol. wtf. typing it all out sounds loving crazy.

It's really hard because she broke up with me almost out of the blue, only a week or so of her being distant. I took her there to build her self esteem up. I still care about her. After I confronted her about this she wants to stay and work it out. It's hosed man. I'll figure it out and find a new gym.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread with my e/n poo poo everyone, I'm frankly surprised by the support and appreciate it a lot.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Wait what - it got to that point and you always felt uncomfortable and you're still going there?

It would occur and then stop...I was always a little suspicious but it was always so subtle that I thought no big deal. Until she started going to his house. edit: for the record I haven't been there in over a month. I don't know these people that well and was being assured that he just is "that way" with his humor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Omglosser posted:

Thanks man. Private lessons took place in his basement lol. wtf. typing it all out sounds loving crazy.

It's really hard because she broke up with me almost out of the blue, only a week or so of her being distant. I took her there to build her self esteem up. I still care about her. After I confronted her about this she wants to stay and work it out. It's hosed man. I'll figure it out and find a new gym.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread with my e/n poo poo everyone, I'm frankly surprised by the support and appreciate it a lot.

:glomp: (that's me taking back control, btw)

No problem man. You can do better in every which way. Go be rad at a better gym and find a cooler girl who isn't a drama fest.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

mewse posted:

It's depressingly common

where? how? I've seen my share of weird hero worship but this would be incredibly frowned upon anywhere I've trained

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Omglosser posted:

"He really understands me" "we have like the same personality" "we have the same sense of humor" "I trust him more than anyone" "I feel an emotional connection to him" add secret private lessons and physical therapy sessions, a dash of deleted Facebook messages and there you have it. He's 50 and she's 25. They both deny anything ever happening. He seems genuinely oblivious yet he mysteriously deleted all of his FB messages too...

They have been loving. She shouldn't be your girlfriend anymore as she has been cheating on you. No one deletes FB messages if they don't implicate more than what you already know. You are better off without her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

willie_dee posted:

They have been loving. She shouldn't be your girlfriend anymore as she has been cheating on you. No one deletes FB messages if they don't implicate more than what you already know. You are better off without her.

But he deleted his correspondence to "wash his hands of this negativity"! That's normal right :suicide: