Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

AW = Android Wear? It seriously didn't do this already? Even Pebble does this.

No, Android Wear doesn't support pairing with an iPhone and an Android device at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android wear doesn't support pairing of multiple of any type of phone right now.

You have to factory reset to switch phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

No, Android Wear doesn't support pairing with an iPhone and an Android device at the same time.

Oh, I misread, sorry.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Newf posted:

I'm looking for something to do fine-grained configuration on sms notifications. Specifically, I'd like texts from specific people to ding / buzz continuously (or at some interval) until read / dismissed by me. Any recommendations?

Try Light Flow.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

If Nine works with GSuite use that, it's good.

Installed Nine and it's working as expected. I'm a bit sad that I couldn't just go for a barebones solution but I think this is the easiest option.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nova Launcher just released an update with a bunch of Android 7.1 features like swiping for the app drawer and using the new style search bar.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Twitter app? I only read, basically never tweet and would be fine enough with the lovely official one except that it's developed this bug where it periodically refuses to load images -- embedded in tweets, uncached avatars, anything.

OK with using survey funbux for a good one. Priority is just general UX; only hypothetical feature I'd want beyond the basics is the ability to un/mute an entire List at a time (when I'm trying to avoid sports spoilers). Do any of them do that?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Twitter app? I only read, basically never tweet and would be fine enough with the lovely official one except that it's developed this bug where it periodically refuses to load images -- embedded in tweets, uncached avatars, anything.

OK with using survey funbux for a good one. Priority is just general UX; only hypothetical feature I'd want beyond the basics is the ability to un/mute an entire List at a time (when I'm trying to avoid sports spoilers). Do any of them do that?

I'm a big fan of Fenix. You can mute things by keyword/hash tag too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I like Sam Ruston's (Weather Timeline dude) Flamingo.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Nova Launcher Prime is on sale today for $0.99. There's supposed to be some "big announcement" coming from the dev in a few hours, but it's probably just going to be something dumb like free themes.

edit: lol

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 19, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nova launcher is really loving good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wish that the current version could force the circle icons for those of us who like to set it up to mirror the Pixel Launcher.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I wish that the current version could force the circle icons for those of us who like to set it up to mirror the Pixel Launcher.

I recommend this for Nova, totally worth it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I recommend this for Nova, totally worth it

I appreciate the recommendation but apps already have or soon will have circular assets included so it'll come on its own eventually plus I'm not sure if I'll use Nova once I get my Pixel in a couple weeks. I put it on my wishlist just in case though. :)

The thing I'm most excited about is finally having a shortcut to screen timeout in the notification pane.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nova Launcher Prime is on sale today for $0.99. There's supposed to be some "big announcement" coming from the dev in a few hours, but it's probably just going to be something dumb like free themes.

Thanks for this, I've been on the fence for this for awhile. Glad I picked it up. The only thing I wish I could change is the font size of my widgets while using Nova, they are larger than when using the stock Galaxy S7 launcher. Anyone know how to fix this?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Google renamed its keyboard app to "gboard". Now it works more like swiftkey where it automatically detects the language you use. Nice.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

XIII posted:

I'm a big fan of Fenix. You can mute things by keyword/hash tag too
Using this now, like it a lot. Actually tried Talon first, seeing it was a little cheaper and seemed basically the same. Hung on the intro screen before I could even log in, uninstalled expecting to try again. Saw I had instantly been refunded, which is an awesome feature of the Play Store I had never experienced, and just decided to go another way.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Ashex posted:

Installed Nine and it's working as expected. I'm a bit sad that I couldn't just go for a barebones solution but I think this is the easiest option.

nine is probably the best exchange app around but a bit pricey. I currently use Alto (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aol.mobile.altomail) which seems to be pretty good and free.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I appreciate the recommendation but apps already have or soon will have circular assets included so it'll come on its own eventually plus I'm not sure if I'll use Nova once I get my Pixel in a couple weeks.

That's very optimistic. I don't see why app devs would give a poo poo about supporting a weird one-off feature that Google randomly pushed in contrast to all their other design guidelines. Especially when only a tiny portion of users (like, probably a half a percent) will ever see it, and far less even will care.

That's speaking as an app dev. It's not even a note on my mile-long list of things I need or want to do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

That's very optimistic. I don't see why app devs would give a poo poo about supporting a weird one-off feature that Google randomly pushed in contrast to all their other design guidelines. Especially when only a tiny portion of users (like, probably a half a percent) will ever see it, and far less even will care.

That's speaking as an app dev. It's not even a note on my mile-long list of things I need or want to do.

Besides the ignorant, who but the optimistic could be interested in Android phones?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova launcher is really loving good

I bought Apex launcher years ago and it still works well enough for me in terms of presenting the apps / widgets I use in a clean fashion, are there any particular extra features to Nova that would make switching worth my while? I have enough google survey funbux to get it free

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I bought Apex launcher years ago and it still works well enough for me in terms of presenting the apps / widgets I use in a clean fashion, are there any particular extra features to Nova that would make switching worth my while? I have enough google survey funbux to get it free
I've never used Apex so can't answer that, sorry. For 99 cents though, on credit, just get it and find out yourself imo. That's basically free.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Taffer posted:

I have a Pixel and a very high percentage of my apps have already updated with a circular icon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I have a Pixel and a very high percentage of my apps have already updated with a circular icon.

The vast majority of my apps are not. I can screenshot and show you, but yeah most are still square.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I sure hope i dont blow 99 cents of funbux to try out an app

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never used Apex so can't answer that, sorry. For 99 cents though, on credit, just get it and find out yourself imo. That's basically free.

Whoa you want someone to pay almost one full US dollar for someone else's hours of hard work?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I was more wondering if the hours I'd inevitably spend tinkering with options would be worth it, like everyone says google credit rolls in quick enough

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can import Apex settings into Nova and not spend any time setting up...

Party Boat posted:

I really liked Apex (especially since their free version had all the options I wanted :D), but it hasn't been updated in 1.5 years at this point. I jumped to Nova when they had a sale and didn't look back.

Specially, I vaguely remember OK Google not working right with Apex after an OS update and working just fine with Nova. Nova keeps implementing new Android features and designs as they come out, like the new update bringing a Pixel style search bar and new swipe actions.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 20, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've had circle icons for ages. Thanks, Cyrcle!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Uthor posted:

You can import Apex settings into Nova and not spend any time setting up...

Good to know, just got Nova and made the switch. It's even more ridiculously discounted in the UK, 50p!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any thoughts on IRC clients? The OP has a couple that I'm checking out right now, but what about IRC for Android? I've got Play money to spend and if it's the best I might as well..

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Any thoughts on IRC clients? The OP has a couple that I'm checking out right now, but what about IRC for Android? I've got Play money to spend and if it's the best I might as well..

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androirc and think it's pretty good

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

I've tried most of them and IRC for Android is the best one imo. But with Discord getting more and more popular these days I don't really use it anymore.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've switched to Gboard from SwiftKey since they added the GIF search thing, so I've been using it for awhile...but man I still have a harder time typing with it than SwiftKey. 90% of the problem is that SwiftKey seems to figure out your sentence much better when you type something like "thisbisbabnsentencewithnlettersbandbnobspaces" ("b" or "n" instead of actual space).

Gboard does figure those out some portion of the time but not near as much as SwiftKey does.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah I'm in the exact same boat, Swiftkey was wonderful for speed and accurately figuring out what the gently caress I want to say, Google Keyboard so far seems quicker (from a processing / app point of view, not typing speed - Swiftkey would chug in some apps) and has neater features. It also lets me type what I want a little easier on the occasions I want to insert a code snippet or format something weirdly. And the gifs are really cool.

For longer term users, is it something that warms up with time?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I just started testing it out and prediction is totally off for me but the native search is nice. I'm going to tinker with it for a few more days and see if it improves.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

For longer term users, is it something that warms up with time?

Sometimes it feels like it's gotten worse over time but it's hard to say.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Do people still use Lightflow or is it a giant malware bomb or is there some cool replacement that everyone uses now?

Nexus 6P by the way in case it matters - seeing that Pixel users have some issues with Lightflow.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 21, 2016

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Light Flow is still the bees knees. I've been using it for a few years without any problems (just the occasional issue re-enabling it). The Android Wear support is also really nice. Nexus 4/5 and now OnePlus3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah its still really good, but get the 'legacy' version to lose the annoying persistent notification