Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The INN thing is funny because both groups did hosed up shady poo poo. Wolf exploited free labor while taking money from CIG. The INN crew literally vandalized the website, copied everything, stole the twitter and patreon (a crime if he wanted to be an rear end in a top hat about it), and stole his brand. Not because wolf was screwing them, but because he wouldn't let them do stuff outside SC as well (prob violated his marketing agreement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This will never stop baffling me, why not play E:D instead?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

*reasons*

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The internal schedule being updated is hilarious. People are saying 2.6 is delayed and then they get dogpiled by saying "look at the website, it clearly says the 16th" :grin:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh - we'll get it this year, just not by Friday.

ManofManyAliases posted:

What - why do I care to defend it? Because I see a lot of misinformation thrown around by both camps- misinformation based on speculation and lack of insight by all of us. Not one of us is close enough to the project to say definitively how something is or should be, and yet, we all act like we know.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

ManofManyAliases posted:

12x12 is a lot of fun currently.

Can you say how, or would that break the NDA?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Elite: Dangerous is just a big empty wasteland. They relied on procedural generation which is for lovely baby games like No Man's Sk...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Because when you spent most of 2012/13 calling David Braben a hack fraud and setting Chris Roberts up on a hundred million mile dollar high pedestal, that'd be a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Can you walk in a corridor and press <<USE>> and then continue in Elite? No, no you cannot :smug:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

shrach posted:

So RSI UK filed their accounts today. There isn't much to see, for reasons that will become immediately apparent, but they confirm the money moves around needlessly. I made a flow chart in MS paint for 2015 of the information so far.

The Star Citizen funding chart apparently showed $36m in 2015 with $3.3m of that coming in January, leaving $33m for February to December. Using an exchange rate of £1 : $1.55 for 2015 would put a total value of ~ £21m for February to December 2015 for the Star Citizen funding chart. That is clearly a material difference to the £15m that was shown in the accounts of Roberts Space Industries International Ltd.

When the UK parent company files their accounts there should be some more information on inter-company relationships.

Nice effortpost, german auditor guy :tipshat:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
moma remember when you said if 2.6 didn't release this year you'd be worried about the project

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

moma remember when you said if 2.6 didn't release this year you'd be worried about the project

lol

I think the 12x12 has put his fears to rest as it is a lot of fun

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tooterfish posted:

Because when you spent most of 2012/13 calling David Braben a hack fraud and setting Chris Roberts up on a hundred million mile dollar high pedestal, that'd be a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

People don't invest in Star Citizen to play a game. They buy ships to enjoy a dream. It's no different from buying a lottery ticket and fantasizing about what you'll do with all that money, except that they have never had a drawing and nobody knows how much the pot will be.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

The last major addition for SQ is in July and most of the levels are already complete. They just need to turn it over to art/design. As for the focused bug groups: they're NDA'd because the levels/assets/and adjusted flight mechanics have heavy elements of SQ42 interspersed and they obviously don't want that out in the public realm just yet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

The Dragonfly will likely be flyable this year. The Drake pipeline has been completed so we're going to see the Caterpillar this year as well.

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they're able to deliver SQ42 (or at least some first iteration of it) by Q1 or Q2 of next year, I expect much of those mechanics and assets can be used to complete the PU. Despite Derek's accusations of a skeleton team working on PU, my belief is that with 300 people, they have enough people working on PU to continue it's advancement while SQ42 work is ongoing.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know I said it a number of times: I really expect at least a mission or two out of SQ42 this year as a teaser, with release of SQ42 next year (summer maybe)? And I'm thinking we'll enter beta by the end of next year with full release in 2018. That said, my 'oh-poo poo' moment will likely be observation of progress by end of Q2 next year: if procedural tech, netcode and and other gameplay mechanics aren't more refined at that point, it's probably too far past a salvage point. Then again, I fully expect the grey-market to still be a viable alternative to offload most of my assets, even by Summer of next year.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Like I said: I think they have a lot of this planned out behind the scenes and are not being open about it (nor have they implemented anything yet) because (possibly) they're saving it for bigger reveals this year and next. It does go against the 'open nature' of development that they have claimed though.

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are over 150 employees in UK between those two offices working on "refactoring" the engine, procedural gen, etc. Like I've mentioned before: I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.

ManofManyAliases posted:

CR said in the latest 10FTC that we'll Stanton system with Nyx debuting in 2.7, which is supposed to be out by the end of the year.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Even though there is "open development," I never once expected to see their roadmap. They're a private company with competitors in the field. A company like Elite's can choose to show whatever the gently caress they want. That doesn't mean it's precedent to do so.

ManofManyAliases posted:

You cannot be sure of anything.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I think the 12x12 has put his fears to rest as it is a lot of fun
merry citmas

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

merry citmas

All hail santaball

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

So....They want a safe place, but don't want it called that. And they think there will be character lockouts or prison even. What in the gently caress is wrong with these people. And they consider themselves PVE? Carebear tears indeed!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yo moma remember how I said that they had until like wednesday before thanksgiving to get 2.6 out to the ecovati before the holiday hosed them up and they had to wait till the next week to try again? Yeah its like that but worse with christmas. They know they have till the 16th for release, anything after that and its pushing too close into the holidays and all the vacation time that most employees take.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen: Everyone is full of poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DapperDon posted:

So....They want a safe place, but don't want it called that. And they think there will be character lockouts or prison even. What in the gently caress is wrong with these people. And they consider themselves PVE? Carebear tears indeed!

They also basically describe what happens in WoW with guards but don't let them know because they will explode in fits of impotent rage

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yo moma remember how I said that they had until like wednesday before thanksgiving to get 2.6 out to the ecovati before the holiday hosed them up and they had to wait till the next week to try again? Yeah its like that but worse with christmas. They know they have till the 16th for release, anything after that and its pushing too close into the holidays and all the vacation time that most employees take.
lol at vacation time

lol

so lol

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

2.6 is fuckin broke as gently caress lol

it is? Care to share?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
You guys won't find ME in a sketchy place like GRIMHEX. I'm a law abiding citizen!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

it is? Care to share?
all the same probs as before

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

Because E:D is a lovely exploitative game, with its ridiculously expensive episode DLC and silly ship skin MT, its lazy procgen design, and its unrealistic flight model that limits how quickly you can yaw so as to not break your neck. Oh, and it has completely fractured the community by having this nonsensical single-player/co-op/MMO-style multiplayer split, and DBOBE stole all his ideas from Chris anyway which is why he's only ever produced the same Elite game over and over again. He's so desperate he's jumped on this VR dead-end, which just makes the game look stupid. And, I mean, the game is two years old by now. Yawn-o-rama.

It doesn't stand a candle to SC, with its sweet episodic content, its excellent ship store, its revolutionary procgen design, and its hyper-realistic flight model where they've tweaked the thruster response curves so tightly that it almost seems like you're not flying a huge space ship at all. Oh, and to appeal to the largest possible audience, it will have single-player, private co-op servers, and MMO-style multiplayer. It takes the tried and tested ideas of games such as Frontier and WC:Privateer and adds an exciting new Chris-style twist to it, like the eventual addition of VR to offer unprecedented immersion. When it comes out in two years, it'll be great.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheLightPurges posted:

Serious question. Now that even you have acknowledged 2.6 isn't gonna be live this year. Going below even your most modest expectation. Take a peek at your prior hopes earlier this year. theres a massive disconnect here. Are you disappointed? Is your faith shaken? Im not trying to troll I'm honestly curious.

I didn't say it wasn't going live this year. I said it won't be ready by Friday. My faith is not shaken by a video game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

it is? Care to share?

The below is what I imagine 2.6 to be in trailer form, Paul Dano is Chris Roberts and the Cryengine is Daniel Radcliffe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1cO46_Ob4

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

They also basically describe what happens in WoW with guards but don't let them know because they will explode in fits of impotent rage

I remember some really fun times in WOW back in the day when we would form small groups of maxed out toons and would come and gently caress poo poo up inside those protected towns and kill all of the guards and everything else that was there. Good times.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Tippis posted:

Because E:D is a lovely exploitative game, with its ridiculously expensive episode DLC and silly ship skin MT, its lazy procgen design, and its unrealistic flight model that limits how quickly you can yaw so as to not break your neck. Oh, and it has completely fractured the community by having this nonsensical single-player/co-op/MMO-style multiplayer split, and DBOBE stole all his ideas from Chris anyway which is why he's only ever produced the same Elite game over and over again. He's so desperate he's jumped on this VR dead-end, which just makes the game look stupid. And, I mean, the game is two years old by now. Yawn-o-rama.

It doesn't stand a candle to SC, with its sweet episodic content, its excellent ship store, its revolutionary procgen design, and its hyper-realistic flight model where they've tweaked the thruster response curves so tightly that it almost seems like you're not flying a huge space ship at all. Oh, and to appeal to the largest possible audience, it will have single-player, private co-op servers, and MMO-style multiplayer. It takes the tried and tested ideas of games such as Frontier and WC:Privateer and adds an exciting new Chris-style twist to it, like the eventual addition of VR to offer unprecedented immersion. When it comes out in two years, it'll be great.

a good post

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I didn't say it wasn't going live this year. I said it won't be ready by Friday. My faith is not shaken by a video game.

The gently caress you didn't. Are you high?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh - we'll get it this year, just not by Friday.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

The problem is that you need to have faith at all.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

DapperDon posted:

The gently caress you didn't. Are you high?

?

Are you ok commando? I said we will get it this year, not by Friday.

Purges said:

TheLightPurges posted:

Serious question. Now that even you have acknowledged 2.6 isn't gonna be live this year. Going below even your most modest expectation. Take a peek at your prior hopes earlier this year. theres a massive disconnect here. Are you disappointed? Is your faith shaken? Im not trying to troll I'm honestly curious.

Am I missing something?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

:smug:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

The money isn't moving around needlessly. They're playing a shell game, not only for tax reasons, but also for liability reasons. Because, you know, it's perfectly normal to have 3 (!) corporate entities in the same country, one of which doesn't do anything, while another is a shell, and yet another is the one with ALL the liabilities.

CIG (UK) - the parent, and which has yet to file their accounts - owns 75% of F42 (UK). It also owns F42 (GER)

CIG (UK) also owns 75% of RSI (UK)

NOTE: F42 (UK) has a secured loan (charge) from NatWest bank.

F42 (UK) filed their accounts Sept 26, 2016 (on time)
RSI (UK) filed their accounts in Dec 12, 2016 (late)
CIG (UK) has yet to file. And it's late as well, because all filings are due by Sept 30th each year.

All the corporate entities associated with the Star Citizen project.

I'm not sure where you are getting those 75% figures from. You should check the links. Foundry 42 Ltd and Roberts Space Industries UK Ltd are both owned 100% by Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. RSI UK Ltd only has one share in issue for example.

I should have been clearer. It's needless to move the money around like this from a neutral or professional point of view. I'm sure there are reasons they WANT to do it this way but it's needless and it's going to end up looking dodgy...especially if there is any "friction" in the money movement. I also think this needless separation of companies is one of the reasons that Foundry 42 Ltd should not be legally entitled to the UK video games tax credit but that's for another day.

Here is something I am trying to get my head around, because it's going to be the correct way to show it: When the group accounts are filed I'm expecting to see the bottom line figure of ~£15m received for pledges effectively counted twice.

With £30m income (£15m in RSI from customers + £15m in CIG UK received from the USA group) and £30m expenses (£15m in RSI to USA group + £15m in F42 for running costs). The £15m income in F42 is netted off with the corresponding expense in CIG UK to prevent them being counted twice as inter-group transactions and this is correct. You can't net off the transactions between the two UK companies and any US companies though because they are not part of the same group. While it doesn't necessarily make a profit difference yet, it does effectively double most of the numbers. It's somehow apt to this project I think. Bookkeeping schmeg.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem is that you need to have faith at all.

George Michael is not wrong.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

And I'm technically not wrong.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The faith that I have in a video game is not shaken by the video game

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why do you keep faith in Chris Roberts?

I mean, the only good game he has his name on is Freelancer and that had to be salvaged by Microsoft of all lovely companies at the time. And it was good IN SPITE of him. He's a literal Manthumb with no cognizant understanding of how to make a good game. Or a game at all rather.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I'm with moma on this one, faith implies lack of evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
2.6 is totes coming out this year you guys

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InsecureCoolAzurewingedmagpie.webm

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 14, 2016