Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooma posted:

What prevents them from just releasing 2.6 to live as is? It's pre-pre alpha anyway. SM is it's own module ready for pre alpha alpha testing which is all those testers are there to do anyway. PU not really as affected worse than it already is. It's not like it's being released to a live game with a hostile audience.

It's a good question, realistically what could they do or fix in the next few days? I dunno, you raise a good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

I would feel too much grief. A good belt should be treated nicely.

I have faith that my belt will be with me a long time my friend

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

From way back but

MeLKoR posted:

Cry ELE and let slip the beagles of legal legal of war

Cry ELE and let slip the dogs of law :colbert:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

George Michael is not wrong.

I would have pegged you as partial to the Limp Bizkit version.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

It's a good question, realistically what could they do or fix in the next few days? I dunno, you raise a good point

they could hit the content switch i suppose but that would just feed the locusts

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Wise Learned Man posted:

I would have pegged you as partial to the Limp Bizkit version.

Ahhh - more things you know about me now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sickening posted:

The fact that Derek decided to make his own forum because he can't handle the moderation here will never stop being funny.

The jokes on you. I always had a forum there; except that it was a Wordpress plugin. I just installed a standalone one instead.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Fooma posted:

What prevents them from just releasing 2.6 to live as is? It's pre-pre alpha anyway. SM is it's own module ready for pre alpha alpha testing which is all those testers are there to do anyway. PU not really as affected worse than it already is. It's not like it's being released to a live game with a hostile audience.

By creating the secret "Avocadi" (or whatever they are called) testers CIG simultaneously:

1- creates the illusion of progress while hiding all the problems under an NDA.
2- Shame all the backers who are not in the secret group, encouraging many to kiss rear end even harder in the hopes that they can get in some day.
3- Create divides among the community between those who are "in the know" and those that are not, e.g. arguments over leaks.

An actual open development game would just create vertical slices of product that focus on stability over features and roll them out as they are ready. None of this big release that needs 4+ months of testing bullshit.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Releasing it to the PU will imply it's not horribly broken so every citizen and their mom will download it and make poor Chris pay for the gigantic bandwidth bill

Not to mention whatever it costs to host all the PU and Star Marine instances lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fooma posted:

Money is one reason.

Their bandwidth costs due to the patcher ain't cheap.

efb

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

The jokes on you.

as always

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eldragon posted:

By creating the secret "Avocadi" (or whatever they are called) testers CIG simultaneously:

2- Shame all the backers who are not in the secret group, encouraging many to kiss rear end even harder in the hopes that they can get in some day.
3- Create divides among the community between those who are "in the know" and those that are not, e.g. arguments over leaks.

An actual open development game would just create vertical slices of product that focus on stability over features and roll them out as they are ready. None of this big release that needs 4+ months of testing bullshit.

wow sounds like we got ourselves a game development expert over here

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MoMA let's play Star Marine this weekend

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

The jokes on you. I always had a forum there; except that it was a Wordpress plugin. I just installed a standalone one instead.

A real knee-slapper. Thanks Uncle D

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting those 75% figures from. You should check the links. Foundry 42 Ltd and Roberts Space Industries UK Ltd are both owned 100% by Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. RSI UK Ltd only has one share in issue for example.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/persons-with-significant-control

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/persons-with-significant-control

quote:

I should have been clearer. It's needless to move the money around like this from a neutral or professional point of view. I'm sure there are reasons they WANT to do it this way but it's needless and it's going to end up looking dodgy...especially if there is any "friction" in the money movement. I also think this needless separation of companies is one of the reasons that Foundry 42 Ltd should not be legally entitled to the UK video games tax credit but that's for another day.

It's not supposed to make sense. Just go with it.

quote:

Here is something I am trying to get my head around, because it's going to be the correct way to show it: When the group accounts are filed I'm expecting to see the bottom line figure of ~£15m received for pledges effectively counted twice.

They can't do that, without it reflecting on the books of both IN/OUT entities. Then it becomes a problem. And seeing as they have chartered accountants - third parties - it's highly unlikely that they are inclined to file it improperly.

quote:

With £30m income (£15m in RSI from customers + £15m in CIG UK received from the USA group) and £30m expenses (£15m in RSI to USA group + £15m in F42 for running costs). The £15m income in F42 is netted off with the corresponding expense in CIG UK to prevent them being counted twice as inter-group transactions and this is correct. You can't net off the transactions between the two UK companies and any US companies though because they are not part of the same group. While it doesn't necessarily make a profit difference yet, it does effectively double most of the numbers. It's somehow apt to this project I think. Bookkeeping schmeg.

Yes. That's why they are not likely to show it twice. So it's going to be interesting to see how they show it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Alright.
It's cool that av purchases can't be traced thanks to these hack forums code, which allowed whoever found that personal site of mine (which has no links to my username or any of my handles btw, so the only way to find it is to know my real name) to buy IRL pictures of me as an avatar.
You loving weirdos win.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fooma posted:

SCs network and server foundation is incredibly bad. It scales horribly, so they need to keep doing progressively larger scale tests to see the breaking point of what they are doing.

In contrast FFXIV pushes way more content in shorter amount of time than CIG does, and they dont need to do several layers of tests to push it out. Because their foundations scale really well, they just dont bother with making load tests.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ArfJason posted:

Alright.
It's cool that av purchases can't be traced thanks to these hack forums code, which allowed whoever found that personal site of mine (which has no links to my username or any of my handles btw, so the only way to find it is to know my real name) to buy IRL pictures of me as an avatar.
You loving weirdos win.

loving owned.

fake e: seriously, your last post wasn't too bad, you at least acknowledged star citizen doesn't exist, so that's a start.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eldragon posted:

Yeah. And furthermore.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

Alright.
You loving weirdos win.

lol

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

peter gabriel posted:

2.6 won't come out this year and if it does I will eat my own arse

:ohdear:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. And furthermore.

Still waiting on that ELE.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

A follow up question, how do you play Deus Ex?

Thank gently caress for that, I thought it was just me who had this issue.

I have the 'Smart vision' augmentation but there's no sign of him in the game, there's not even any shouting. :(

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

peter gabriel posted:

Worse I think...

Is anyone worse than me at Deus Ex? I think not

I have lots of problems too, PoE is about 300 hours short of the true time (wasn't on steam in beta).

I don't even want to know how many hours of WoW I played back in the day... I think I was up to a year online around 2012 - played every xpac for like 2 weeks since.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

peter gabriel posted:

Worse I think...

Is anyone worse than me at Deus Ex? I think not

how is that even possible

wait, i also have 39 hours in that game. no way it took me that long to beat

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

Ash1138 posted:

how is that even possible

wait, i also have 39 hours in that game. no way it took me that long to beat

Idle for trading cards likely. Or maybe he's like me and gets stuck at character creation.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

shrach posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting those 75% figures from. You should check the links. Foundry 42 Ltd and Roberts Space Industries UK Ltd are both owned 100% by Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. RSI UK Ltd only has one share in issue for example.

I should have been clearer. It's needless to move the money around like this from a neutral or professional point of view. I'm sure there are reasons they WANT to do it this way but it's needless and it's going to end up looking dodgy...especially if there is any "friction" in the money movement. I also think this needless separation of companies is one of the reasons that Foundry 42 Ltd should not be legally entitled to the UK video games tax credit but that's for another day.

Here is something I am trying to get my head around, because it's going to be the correct way to show it: When the group accounts are filed I'm expecting to see the bottom line figure of ~£15m received for pledges effectively counted twice.

With £30m income (£15m in RSI from customers + £15m in CIG UK received from the USA group) and £30m expenses (£15m in RSI to USA group + £15m in F42 for running costs). The £15m income in F42 is netted off with the corresponding expense in CIG UK to prevent them being counted twice as inter-group transactions and this is correct. You can't net off the transactions between the two UK companies and any US companies though because they are not part of the same group. While it doesn't necessarily make a profit difference yet, it does effectively double most of the numbers. It's somehow apt to this project I think. Bookkeeping schmeg.

I think we're of the same mind on this. Does that make us the antipope of German auditors? Or are we both Smart now? :psyduck:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yo moma remember how I said that they had until like wednesday before thanksgiving to get 2.6 out to the ecovati before the holiday hosed them up and they had to wait till the next week to try again? Yeah its like that but worse with christmas. They know they have till the 16th for release, anything after that and its pushing too close into the holidays and all the vacation time that most employees take.

Chris will send his teams an angry email from Hawaii during his 7th vacation of the year over the Christmas holiday.

The employees will not get a vacation. They'll get the weekend off for Christmas. And they'll be thankful to The Roberts for it, too. :devil:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just remember in the middle of all the this excitement, that it's not ok to doxx people or threaten their lives.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

Just remember in the middle of all the this excitement, that it's not ok to doxx people or threaten their lives.

So don't be :reddit:, gotcha.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can pretty much confirm this to be the case.

Yeah, sorry for your loss. 2.6 spoiler.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The next-gen development consoles are impressive enough to work with our high standards, but I want to say this: nothing is being taken away here. The net benefit of releasing Star Citizen and Squadron 42 on the future XBOX and PlayStation consoles far outweighs the bad. It allows us a bare minimum overhead that expands to nearly limitless levels on PC.

This was always a PC game first but not only a PC game. Our scope and effort always included other ways to bring in revenue to make the Best drat Space Sim Ever, to bring you and everyone that believes in the project every hope, dream and feature possible.

Myself and everyone here stands by that, just as we hope you continue to stand by us.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Friendly Humour posted:

I have a set of Klobbs and I ain't afraid to use them

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooma posted:

Idle for trading cards likely. Or maybe he's like me and gets stuck at character creation.

I walk in a room shoot people run out of ammo and die, this goes on for a couple of tries then I close it and try again in a month, doing the same thing :v:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

:fap::fap::fap:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh my. :magical:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

quote:
The next-gen development consoles are impressive enough to work with our high standards, but I want to say this: nothing is being taken away here. The net benefit of releasing Star Citizen and Squadron 42 on the future XBOX and PlayStation consoles far outweighs the bad. It allows us a bare minimum overhead that expands to nearly limitless levels on PC.

This was always a PC game first but not only a PC game. Our scope and effort always included other ways to bring in revenue to make the Best drat Space Sim Ever, to bring you and everyone that believes in the project every hope, dream and feature possible.

Myself and everyone here stands by that, just as we hope you continue to stand by us.

You see, this is why Shitizens aren't taking us seriously anymore. This poo poo ain't funny, man.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

You see, this is why Shitizens aren't taking us seriously anymore. This poo poo ain't funny, man.
maybe the person snapping pics for sandi should keep the dev kits outta frame next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
pic already gone lol