Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some people hire folks who only know what you can learn at school, and then teach them on the job. Dozens, perhaps hundreds of new grads get jobs this way every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hey I'd be happy with a new grad. Just not a mid 30s loving certification whore who hasn't worked for anything that didn't end in "group" and who believes that powerpoints are the best form of communication.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mustache Ride posted:

Mostly consulting groups it seems. What a waste of time the past 2 interviews have been.

What type of security are you hiring for. I could help you with some questions I would ask for those positions.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I was hiring a developer and he boasted about having developed some application to track malware and security incidents at his company. When it came to authentication he told me he just stored the credentials in the database so I asked him how he stored them.

He had no idea.

These people exist.

My suspicion was that he did this in Microsoft Access as that was a skill he left on his resume.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

People who still buy IBM.

To be fair to IBM, qRadar with Watson is rad as poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Hmm what the hell is that
*googles*
"Cybersecurity in the cognitive era: Priming your digital immune system"
*closes tab*

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

psydude posted:

Have you had to do your own Watson integration or have you only used ibm provided tools? Just curious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mustache Ride posted:

Hey I'd be happy with a new grad. Just not a mid 30s loving certification whore who hasn't worked for anything that didn't end in "group" and who believes that powerpoints are the best form of communication.

As a mechanical engineer PowerPoint is the accepted form of communication though.

I hated it so much.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Hmm what the hell is that
*googles*
"Cybersecurity in the cognitive era: Priming your digital immune system"
*closes tab*

Looking past the marketing bullshit, it uses the Watson API to perform anomaly-based detection and map out activity in a visual overlay.

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you had to do your own Watson integration or have you only used ibm provided tools? Just curious.

I've only played around with the beta.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Antivirus lol

https://nation.state.actor/mcafee.html

discuss

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
just think of all the users with a linux server as their desktop who were saved from malware thanks to mcafee, though

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like my vShield agentless AV... works pretty well and doesn't seem to get in the way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like my vShield agentless AV... works pretty well and doesn't seem to get in the way.

Don't.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I really hope vmware was smart enough so whatever service being passed arbitrary data through the vshield api doesn't have root privileges on the host like all almost every other conventional AV engine. That would be a hell of a way to get your infrastructure owned.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not aware of any history of vShield exploits. I did a quick look and I see one from 2012 that seems rather benign.

I know AV is a bit of a joke, but what do you guys do in your environment? No AV across the board? Not even for using-facing systems? I find that hard to believe.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

I'm not aware of any history of vShield exploits. I did a quick look and I see one from 2012 that seems rather benign.

I know AV is a bit of a joke, but what do you guys do in your environment? No AV across the board? Not even for using-facing systems? I find that hard to believe.

We use Windows Defender in my organization for AV because we see no point in purchasing anything beyond what we can get cheaper through Microsoft. To help us out, we use FireEye HX to conduct investigations whenever poo poo goes awry. With a few clicks, I can dump RAM, pull data from disk, and get a tonne of artifacts that would otherwise disappear into the ether. It's not protection; it's to tell us how hosed we got.

AV is garbage.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

shellshock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That was the setup at my previous, large, actively-attacked employer.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We run SourceFire/AMP for Endpoints. We're a Cisco shop so we eat our own dogfood. We've had a couple false positives but also catch a fair amount of nasty poo poo.

That and common sense. Common sense is the real antivirus.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also internal segmentation, like requiring 2FA to transit from the corp network to development servers. That came in after someone burned a zero-day to target some of our developers, back when humans still ran Java.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

hostile attacker someone or good red team someone

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

Also internal segmentation, like requiring 2FA to transit from the corp network to development servers. That came in after someone burned a zero-day to target some of our developers, back when humans still ran Java.

Also 802.1x so when Jim Dipshit comes to work with their lovely Acer laptop running Windows Vista Home so they can watch Netflix they'll find themselves unable to get on the LAN because without being able to join the domain they'll never get a certificate.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

That and common sense. Common sense is the real antivirus.

No, no it is not. Please stop saying this everyone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

hostile attacker someone or good red team someone

Not a red team. There was a forensics festival, my whole team was invited. (They were targeting my team specifically.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mcafee :D :D :D :D :D

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

No, no it is not. Please stop saying this everyone.

Yes, it is.

The problem is the scarcity of common sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, it is.

Common sense says, if the error message is asking me to call someone it must be really loving serious and I better do what it says

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Common sense says you tell your users to always, always call IT for support, and make sure that number is routed to a human 24/7.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, tell my users to do something? Problem solved then!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, it is.

Nothing Bad Will Every Happen Because I Live In A Vacuum [Everyone Is Dead]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, tell my users to do something? Problem solved then!

It may not be sufficient, but it's a good idea.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Trabisnikof posted:

Common sense says, if the error message is asking me to call someone it must be really loving serious and I better do what it says

Common sense says to call someone you trust instead of a random phone number.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Relying on common sense is as dumb as relying on AV, even the best people make mistakes.

Common sense helps, but it's no replacement for secure by default systems.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

apseudonym posted:

Relying on common sense is as dumb as relying on AV, even the best people make mistakes.

I'll write a book on herding cats if this were to ever work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

apseudonym posted:

Defense in depth is a thing.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

I'll write a book on herding cats if this were to ever work.

Systems are markedly better than they used to be (but still a long way to go), people remain as prone to loving up as ever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Defense in depth is a thing.

Sure, but if I'm doing an internal audit or a risk analysis I can only include systems and solutions that are predictable in nature. People exercising common sense or following process would not be one of them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flosofl posted:

Sure, but if I'm doing an internal audit or a risk analysis I can only include systems and solutions that are predictable in nature. People exercising common sense or following process would not be one of them.

Your risk analysis has to ignore people, as a class?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Your risk analysis has to ignore people, as a class?

Well, no. But I'm concerned with stopping them from being self-destructive idiots, not factoring them in as a layer of security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

flosofl posted:

Well, no. But I'm concerned with stopping them from being self-destructive idiots, not factoring them in as a layer of security.

I don't think you can remove them completely as a layer, they're still a (failable) part of any reasonable model.