Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361376/the-one-thing-we-asked-disco-lando-to-do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Grenades aren't an option

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ten bucks it's the video that's sped up.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Ten bucks it's the video that's sped up.
its just a mashup from the cig livestream, the vaulting gave it right away

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ewe2 posted:

Why can't they ban the person i hate on a forum i don't belong to and don't make comments in, it's not fair.

It's not just not fair, I'm almost certain it's a conspiracy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Goddamnit, this scam of a game just pisses me off, I don't see w

DapperDon posted:

It's their pontification of the written word that I enjoy.

Tax:

D'awww. Thousands of pages later, I see why we have taxes.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

"don't try to sneak out of it by slowly letting it die and hoping no one will notice"

looks like a good metaphor for CIG

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DapperDon posted:

What I am saying is that it is not uncommon for that kind of deal if they are in fact using TW services.

Oh I understood, perhaps I didn't articulate my point enough so my apologies.

LA shipping a broken jpeg up to Manchester via TWC will be flat rate (discounted with any promotion.) Guess my point is some frilly commercial saving a few thousand bucks a month is trivial compared to their cloud costs.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DapperDon posted:

Considering I have no idea what a vertical slice is, and frankly whenever I try to look it up, I run into different definitions of what that really means. In the case of this game with so many different modules, what does that mean?

Basically you create a minimal set of features that represent the core premise of the game (or any software project), then you do another "slice" that expands on existing features or adds more features. Each slice represents as small of work as possible, generally 2-6 weeks. Over time and enough iterations of slices you have a viable product that is very stable and focused in its goals. The basic idea is that it forces the developer to only work on what the product "must have", not what would be "nice to have".

Example: If you're going to open a lemonade stand, you need cups and lemonade. You drink the lemonade and make sure it tastes good. That's the first slice. For the second slice you get a cooler and ice. Third slice a bigger sign. etc.

Compare that to "visionary" product managers who lose focus on making lemonade and are more interested in sourcing 10,000 organic lemons because they have dreams of putting Starbucks out of business.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 14, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The irony in them complaining about Frontier's moderation not being consistent, but being joyous at CIGs inconsistent moderation is hilarious.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Hey thread whats up how are you

I would like someone with a modicum of knowledge/experience in business things to explain to me the possible reasons you might want to have 15 separate companies.

Because I don't know about those kinds of things and I am legit curious.

Curious, but not obsessive, dont call FYAD on me.

Okay maybe a little obsessive.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I tremble at the thought of being considered a doxxer and insane murderer etc., but I just love this.

Team Sandi for life.

Only on weekends. It's ok backers, you're not being used as money sponges. You're valued. :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Propagandist posted:

I would like someone with a modicum of knowledge/experience in business things to explain to me the possible reasons you might want to have 15 separate companies.

for legitimate reasons unrelated to the obfuscation of ill gotten gains

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

for legitimate reasons unrelated to the obfuscation of ill gotten gains

I feel grief that taxes weren't covered in the 4th Stimpire.

We need to fill in the lore to cover this for it to be more believable.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

You get a free ride, or a really horrible night in the Atlantic.

:wink:

:golfclap:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
15 companies seems a trifle excessive tho

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Propagandist posted:

Limiting of liabilities so that your assets are protected and minimising corporate taxes are the main reasons you would structure a company into multiples, but 15 is almost surely overkill unless you're explicitly just moving cups around to distract people while you slip the ball into your sleeve.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Titanic posted:

You get a free ride, or a really horrible night in the Atlantic.

:wink:

I'd like you to know that these posts are wonderful pick-ups when I need them.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Nicholas posted:

more 2.6 is now 3.0 rumors

I can believe these because it would follow their trend lately since gamescom.

Realizing the 3.0 jesus patch and procedural tech is impossible right now while still needing to have a big sale means they can just rebrand their current 91 week late content into "THREE POINT OH" to have more impact during a sale. They are out of fancy demos and tiny incremental updates they can use to trick idiots so they need to make what little they do have sound more impressive.

Doing something this dumb would be purely for short term gain, relying on the stupidity of their customers to justify the decision, which is exactly what CIG has been doing in increasingly desperate ways since earlier this year. "Here is a demo we can't remotely deliver during a sale" "Here is another demo we can't remotely deliver on during another sale" "Here is embarrassingly bad years late content in a WIP testbed during a sale" is now "That embarrassingly bad years late content is actually out AND IS TOTALLY MORE IMPRESSIVE SOUNDING"

If they really do re-brand 2.6 as 3.0 then thats another red flag for red flag mountain basically. Milking the whales as hard as possible while hoping their stupid selves justify why timeframes, features and promises are completely ignored for obviously desperate money grabbing

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Propagandist posted:

To protect money and assets of a business, or personal, nature.

Create corporation/llc/business/etc 1,2,3,4.

Say you sue #1 for a million bucks. #1 only has 5 dollars in the bank and you point out that #1 has a 250,000 dollar car. No it doesn't. That car actually belongs to #2 and #1 was just allowed to use it. Etc, etc, on down the line. Corporations are people and can own property in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure my example was dumb, but you get the idea. I hope.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

To protect money and assets of a business, or personal, nature.

Create corporation/llc/business/etc 1,2,3,4.

Say you sue #1 for a million bucks. #1 only has 5 dollars in the bank and you point out that #1 has a 250,000 dollar car. No it doesn't. That car actually belongs to #2 and #1 was just allowed to use it. Etc, etc, on down the line. Corporations are people and can own property in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure my example was dumb, but you get the idea. I hope.

Yeah, on the right track. The lease is basically an expense towards the company on a monthly basis. In short, even though the car might go away on a tow truck when this baby collapses, it is cheaper than outright buying it with their salaries in the end. Expense it to the company.

There is no hope with auditors in catching something. I'm sure everything is squeaky clean when they go though it all to fulfill GAAP type stuff yearly.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Okay, how about this for a follow-up: even though it LOOKs like a duck and PAARPs like a duck, could this simply be a good thing for the company to do, with no malicious intent?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
well

they need at least

1 company in LA that works on the game
1 company in LA that produces content about content about the game
1 company in TX that works on the game
1 company in UK for the sweet relief of tax
1 company in GR that works on the game
1 company in BRNO that works on the game

so really having 7 or so more companies than that isn't a big deal because you want to shuffle some cash around like all good businesses do

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Eldragon posted:

Example: If you're going to open a lemonade stand, you need cups and lemonade. You drink the lemonade and make sure it tastes good. That's the first slice. For the second slice you get a cooler and ice. Third slice a bigger sign. etc.

Combine that with writing each part of the slice and their interactions as a test and you've just described unit testing. So 'must have' is also 'definitely works'.

This does not happen in Star Citizen and to be fair the unit testing really doesn't happen much if at all in games programming. There's a reason even Id engine code is still being bug-fixed decades later.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Propagandist posted:

Okay, how about this for a follow-up: even though it LOOKs like a duck and PAARPs like a duck, could this simply be a good thing for the company to do, with no malicious intent?

Just look at Ortwin and realize there is basically zero percent chance the man that set up the shell game did so without malicious intent.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

Considering I have no idea what a vertical slice is, and frankly whenever I try to look it up, I run into different definitions of what that really means. In the case of this game with so many different modules, what does that mean?

I'm not that great, but you're smart and I'll try to help you out, friend. :)

A vertical slice is basically a little piece of everything working together. Not fully built, but working.

For example if your game had levels and experience, and stat gains, you would have it show how your character can level up and pick a stat to increase at a level up screen; even if it had no impact on the game with that stat. You can show that "we have this system and here's what we want it to do".

If your game has vehicles you'd want a vehicle example in your level, and show how you will eventually smooth it out if it's tough, like bouncy cameras or poor angles, clipping into level geometry. But the concept itself is there.

For Star Citizen they would basically need a skeleton of all of their promises that are unique from each other, working together (if that's what they are supposed to do, and in this case they are). The major problem with this is that Star Citizen has basically every element from every game ever made.

From Kerbal Space Program physics and EVA, to Tetris cargo loading, to drink mixing mini games, to landing on planets and mining... etc etc...

To get a vertical slice would literally take longer than it would take Rockstar to make a full, complete game or two.

To actually build it beyond vertical slice... I'm guessing literal decades worth of work. That is to get it "as promised". Thus won't include the eventual fat-cutting, feature reductions, and MVP release that will likely not even be close to being called a vertical slice, much less the promised product.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

It's their pontification of the written word that I enjoy.

Tax:

This gif pulled my heart strings way more than I think you intended it to. I feel fuzzy. It's late. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'd like you to know that these posts are wonderful pick-ups when I need them.

Glad I can help you smile and get enjoyment from the thread, friend. :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

well

they need at least

1 company in LA that works on the game
1 company in LA that produces content about content about the game
1 company in TX that works on the game
1 company in UK for the sweet relief of tax
1 company in GR that works on the game
1 company in BRNO that works on the game

so really having 7 or so more companies than that isn't a big deal because you want to shuffle some cash around like all good businesses do

Let's do shots in BRNO.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

The Wolf Larsen Saga is my favorite thing about Star Citizen right now.

INNtroducing sponser a spaceman

:munch:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Propagandist posted:

To be honest, yes, it is a good thing for a company to do. Milton Friedman type territory.

But my god, it does have consequence on peoples' lives.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheAgent posted:

hellgate london lifetime sub

I miss Hellgate London. Especially since I can't find my install DVD any more...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
My very first locked thread!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5i898v/reminder_nearly_half_a_year_ago_cig_was_going_on/

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

This gif pulled my heart strings way more than I think you intended it to. I feel fuzzy. It's late. :3:

This made me smile.

The Titanic posted:

Glad I can help you smile and get enjoyment from the thread, friend. :)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DapperDon posted:

My very first locked thread!

Lmao even the mods are getting sick of the screaming.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ewe2 posted:

Lmao even the mods are getting sick of the screaming.

The BEST part is that I don't have to reply to a goddamned comment and these self rising austists go batshit!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

being reminded that there are still PC Games Only warriors out there is pretty dang funny. like one guy calls all others "peasantry" which is the funniest insult

the desire to be part of some magical elite best community is real

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The entire PC master race stuff was a joke to make fun of elitist pc gamers, and the PC gaming community just took it and adopted it wholesale.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well, it's funny because it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

being reminded that there are still PC Games Only warriors out there is pretty dang funny. like one guy calls all others "peasantry" which is the funniest insult

the desire to be part of some magical elite best community is real
well, pc gamer nerds gotta believe they're better than dirty console peasants to feel better about themselves

doggesncattetax:

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 14, 2016