Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hyper mediocrity

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uSTdJo4zk

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/808503696350801920

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/808412187337363456
This is a tweet from an undoubtably incredibly sane person.

I honestly have no idea what this image is supposed to be showing. Twitter accounts that are linked somehow and thus part of a conspiracy? And they are all bullying this game theory guy??

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Matty, buddy, come on
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/808677998669025280

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I hate it when Matts fight. :(

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank having both Matts have an actual discussion over this is better than having this ouroborus of "Minding the hack like at all means you're a mentally handicapped liberal that only sees the world thru pop culture and have autism and a small dick and divorced and a failson" and "Not minding the hack at all means you're a russian/filipino agent bent on destroying what makes the US great with all your qualms about wanting a better outreach to working class just means you're a Berniecrat that voted for Trump once he didn't get the nomination" is at least progress of some kind. Christ.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Kunster posted:

To be frank having both Matts have an actual discussion over this is better than having this ouroborus of "Minding the hack like at all means you're a mentally handicapped liberal that only sees the world thru pop culture and have autism and a small dick and divorced and a failson" and "Not minding the hack at all means you're a russian/filipino agent bent on destroying what makes the US great with all your qualms about wanting a better outreach to working class just means you're a Berniecrat that voted for Trump once he didn't get the nomination" is at least progress of some kind. Christ.

Youre saying the truth is somewhere in the middle?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Who started bringing the Philippines into this?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Youre saying the truth is somewhere in the middle?

it's possible to acknowledge that two people are making flawed opposing arguments without invoking the south park centrism fallacy

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So my mom's much woker than pre-election. She's not joining SDS any time soon, but does anyone have the article from a few months ago of how post watergate reformers kicked Banking Regulation out of the democratic platform?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Golden Bee posted:

So my mom's much woker than pre-election. She's not joining SDS any time soon, but does anyone have the article from a few months ago of how post watergate reformers kicked Banking Regulation out of the democratic platform?

think it's here. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

e: https://twitter.com/drileater wint/MGS crossover acct is on fire today. Jesus christ

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 13, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I like checking in on dril crossover tweet accounts from time to time since there are a lot of obscure dril tweets that are really good but don't get repeated as often.

also:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/808745516557369349

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/808748394520907776

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/808751754309496838

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

SousaphoneColossus posted:

it's possible to acknowledge that two people are making flawed opposing arguments without invoking the south park centrism fallacy

Yeah I don't think that Russia somehow magically made Clinton lose, but a further investigation on that and voting machine failures like how it happened in Michigan would be advisable, at least to relax further tensions.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Can't get annotations to load :(

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

Neon Belly posted:

Can't get annotations to load :(

I had a hard time too, presumably because dailykos is garbage. Spoilers: his annotations consist entirely of variations of "gently caress you" and "gently caress off"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
There's a Genius extension for Chrome, and Firefox has one called "WebAnnotator"

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

padijun posted:

There's a Genius extension for Chrome, and Firefox has one called "WebAnnotator"

Thanks!

Marcus Garvey posted:

I had a hard time too, presumably because dailykos is garbage. Spoilers: his annotations consist entirely of variations of "gently caress you" and "gently caress off"

Welp you weren't lying.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

https://twitter.com/drileater/status/808756128444256256

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Rename thread Galt's Gulch

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Can't wait to read Who the gently caress thinks Vox's garbage is worth $1bn, explained

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

My dad listens to Chapo sometimes. He thinks they're all careerist media people, but still likes them.

I'm sorry for ruining the podcast guys

Golden Bee posted:

Dadchat: I get the impression that a lot of leftist had parents on the left or at the very least they were sympathetic liberals. What about people with conservative parents? How do you talk about politics? My parents are nevertrump conservatives and I still talk to them, but we usually avoid politics and they just assume I'm a liberal.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Oddly my dad really liked Bernie since years ago just for looking out for the little guy. My mom was a light Hillary supporter in the primary but was disappointed by Clinton's weak-rear end campaign and fumbling of emails.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
My dad is a Hillary fan and this was the first election he ever voted in. He just got his citizenship this year. He tends to be really liberal on immigration for obvious reasons, but conservative on other things.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
My dad is a pseudo-Libertarian (votes exclusively Republican on the national level but smokes lots of weed and organizes with a legalization group) who would likely never vote for Bernie, but he does respect him as a rare politician who actually gives a poo poo about people. I don't argue much since I remember being a kid and hearing the fruitless Iraq debates he had with my brother. I mostly just find common ground to commiserate over like "weed rules they should let us smoke it whenever we want" and "murder all lobbyists".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My mom liked Bernie and my dad liked Trump but I'm sure if Bernie had the ticket I could've persuaded him to change his mind.

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope
Damnit, all of your parents sound way better than mine. My folks are fundamentalist Christians who voted for Trump because they think he is the second coming of King David. We don't talk much.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
My mom is a bit conservative but in a "live and let live" kind of way and has voted Democrat for the past twenty years. Dad is pretty liberal, watched a lot of Keith Olbermann when he was on MSNBC, and has lately been spending his retirement getting into angry posting fights with conservative friends and relations on Facebook. I may need to have an intervention with Dad about the dangers of being real nude and mad online.

"Dad let me show you all the great posts on SomethingAwful.com I've made over the years...."

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Like My Dad is pretty conservative except on healthcare (Thanks to Sicko) and labor unions. Im sure I could've convinced him that Bernie supported both those things and actually cared about real people including his grandchildren. Convincing my Dad or even my mom that Hillary cared about anyone's interests other than her own was impossible and for good reason.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love how no bullshit Matt is. He's my favorite Chapo.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
of all the embarrassing, ineffectual media libs, keith olbermann might be the most embarrassing and ineffectual.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Read of the day, some of the stuff in here from the HRC campaign is insane http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/michigan-hillary-clinton-trump-232547

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I remember thinking during election day that there's gonna be a lot of interesting discussion about how important it was to have a ground game, since Clinton's was so good and it proved so ineffective.

Oh man. Man was I wrong. The gently caress were they even DOING over there?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

of all the embarrassing, ineffectual media libs, keith olbermann might be the most embarrassing and ineffectual.

I tried listening to Thom Hartman and only lasted a week or two.

I get why people don't like Michael Moore but Sicko turned me and I'm sure a lot of other people into lifelong liberals.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Not only did they have a not have a good ground game, their guiding philosophy was apparently the opposite of having a good ground game.

- Trying to play mind games with Trump's campaign by spending or not spending money in some states regardless of whether that money actually did anything
- Discouraging canvassing/door-knocking GOTV and ignoring requests for that kind of support in FL and MI in favor of huge amounts of TV ad spending in non-competitive media markets
- Dumping money into cities in non-competitive states to drive up urban turnout just to avoid the embarrassment of Clinton losing the popular vote while winning the electoral college

Jesus gently caress, keep Robby Mook and his minions away from any other campaign ever again. Maybe one small silver lining is that Clinton didn't manage to eke out a win in spite of these colossal fuckups and someone who is not directly in that campaign's orbit will learn a thing or two from this.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I may need to have an intervention with Dad about the dangers of being real nude and mad online.

I forget, what's the origin of "nude and mad"?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I love how no bullshit Matt is. He's my favorite Chapo.

Yeah I like how he presents his ideas and opinions in a straightforward "common sense" way. It seems like progressives don't do that enough and when they try to liberals are always swatting it down with "now wait, it's more complicated than that" (which may be true but they're saying it in bad faith) but we can't let conservatives and libertarians have a monopoly on "common sense," we need more stout midwesterners.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

taser rates posted:

Read of the day, some of the stuff in here from the HRC campaign is insane http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/michigan-hillary-clinton-trump-232547

This rules, I love the part where they turn away canvassing volunteers.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

taser rates posted:

I have been extremely nude and mad about this all morning.

Actual grassroots support came to her offering to help and the campaign was like "Nah we're good. We're just gonna spend a million dollars to run a bunch of sock puppet Twitter accounts that tweet about BernieBros so that it looks like we have grassroots support." Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah I like how he presents his ideas and opinions in a straightforward "common sense" way. It seems like progressives don't do that enough and when they try to liberals are always swatting it down with "now wait, it's more complicated than that" (which may be true but they're saying it in bad faith) but we can't let conservatives and libertarians have a monopoly on "common sense," we need more stout midwesterners.

Part of it is not advertising it as "common sense" or "logical" or whatever in the first place, which Matt wisely stays away from.