Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PT6A posted:

That's nifty. Hopefully this will get rid of the people who never realize that the speed limit's gone up considerably, and (less likely) the people who think new speed limits take effect as soon as the sign can be seen in the distance.

You're supposed to cross them having already altered your speed to match, not at the speed that was appropriate before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's what I do, because I am a speeder like most other people, but drivers ed taught me that the new speed limit only takes effect as you pass the sign.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I rented a car overseas and was thrilled when my VW Golf was upgraded to a Mercedes and the in-dash GPS always showed the speed limit in the local moon units so I didn't have to think about it. Some days I love living in the future.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

InitialDave posted:

These are the people you share the range with:
http://i.imgur.com/oPGPHW4.mp4

Those are speed holes. They make the car go faster.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYXYcAlZO9M

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0kjzNqxcI

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

You're supposed to cross them having already altered your speed to match, not at the speed that was appropriate before them.

:wrong:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You should adjust your speed either before or after the posted speed as necessary, such that you are never travelling at a higher speed in a lower limit - whether due to speeding up before leaving one, or not slowing down unti you're in one. That's the "correct" way.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I parsed it as "speed up before you hit the higher sign," as the conversation was talking about higher limits. Which, is wrong.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I parsed it as "speed up before you hit the higher sign," as the conversation was talking about higher limits. Which, is wrong.

I always take it as an excuse to see how fast I can get up to the higher speed as soon as I pass the sign. 50 -> 100 is always a crowd pleaser.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I was talking only about the case where you are approaching a slower zone. If you think that is wrong, provide a statute saying otherwise as that goes directly against my driver education.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jesus, calm down. I already explained my apparent misunderstanding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Trauma posted:

Did they ever find the candle supply place? :ohdear:

Community Candle Supply is actually in the building to their right as they drive into the pit. Left side in this Street View.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tempted to forward that to a bud who owns this:

Give him nightmares for a few months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, that's the way I meant it but it was ambiguous. You're supposed to make sure you're not exceeding the limit, which changes as you pass the sign, meaning you have to slow down prior to the speed limit decreasing, but you do not speed up until after you've passed the sign in the case of an increase.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No cop, no speed limit

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There is frequently a cop where the speed limit changes from 75 to 65 on the interstate through town, so I'm always going the limit there. Funny how people will drive 72 in a 65 but then not speed up when the limit goes back to 75.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There are exactly five State Troopers per shift working about 60 miles of highway near me. The odds of one of them having the time to care about any single speeder versus responding to dozens of accidents are extremely low. I learned this from the State Trooper who responded to a chain of accidents that I got caught up in a few weeks ago while we were standing around BSing for a half hour. His advice was unsurprisingly "But still, don't speed"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On I-10 on the way home this evening, and stuck behind a semi who is very slowly passing another semi. Entire pass is going to take quite a few miles, and we are going about 60, in a 75 zone. Guy right behind the semi (in front of me) is moving back and forth in the lane, flashing his headlights, and otherwise making it very clear that he is unhappy about this situation. Semi finally gets past and moves to the right lane, and impatient driver in front of me immediately accelerates... to about 61 mph.. and begins *very* slowly passing the semi. :suicide:

My exit was about 3 miles from that point and I ended up dropping behind the semi to exit because impatient Charlie still wasn't going to be clear of the semi at that point. There was a HUGE line of cars behind by this point.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Tempted to forward that to a bud who owns this:

Give him nightmares for a few months.

I guess the lesson here is to insure above high replacement value.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
This morning I encountered one of those guys who likes to weave in and out of multiple lanes looking for the fastest route to speed ahead of everybody only to be bounced back by traffic a lot. I know, big deal, they're a dime a dozen. Living in Baltimore County it's not a matter of will you encounter one, it's a matter of how many you'll encounter.

It was his introduction to the morning routine that made him stand out.

I'm in the right lane on 695. I've just past the on-ramp from route 7, and my lane becomes the off-ramp to get onto 95. There is nobody at all behind me, and a car and a school bus in front of me, both of which just got on the highway, and signal that they want to move left into the new right lane.

From somewhere behind me a horn starts blowing the moment their signals came back on for their merge. An SUV in the right travel lane doesn't like that these people are trying to get on the highway a good five or six car lengths ahead of him. He waits until he's practically on the bumper of the car that just merged to finally slam on the brakes, because he totally didn't see the merge coming or have time to slow down before then.

He's still leaning on the horn. The car isn't picking up speed yet because the school bus still needs to get over. The school bus was probably a little slow about starting to merge because they were trying to figure out who was honking, and why, and were reluctant to get in the way. But they were running out of room to merge so they finally get over.

The rear end in a top hat is still leaning on his horn. And this isn't a second or third long honk, this is still the first honk that started behind me. It went something like:
hhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNK

So the car and school bus start picking up more speed. The rear end in a top hat finally lets up on the horn, then moves over onto the off ramp in front me, because he was getting onto 95 anyway. Just a reminder, there was nobody at all behind me. He could have just moved over to begin with without throwing a fit, but then I guess he'd have been passing up on the chance of maybe missing his exit trying to race to the front of the line to cut everybody off at the gore point. Anyway, as he starts passing the car he gives them another long honk and a dirty look. Because they totally cut him off with nothing but five or six car lengths of warning from the lane he should have already pulled into.

We get onto 95 and work our way over to the left lane. We drive along for a couple of minutes before he moves one lane to the right to pass the car in front of him. I can tell before he even starts to accelerate that he's not even going to come close to making it, there's not enough room and the gap is closing.

I finally get a look at him as I'm passing. He's exactly who I expected him to be. Youngish douchebag.

He pulls back in behind me, we pass a couple more people, and he moves back to the right, and speeds up. Then moves another lane to the right to pass a truck that also starts merging to the right, which it was already signalling it was going to do. So he merges into the far right lane to pass the truck.

I lose him on the other side of the truck, and don't see him for a while...until he shows up one lane to the right starting to pass me. But he runs out of room, again, and pulls in behind me, again.

Finally, after the 895 split he gets a big enough opening in a couple of lanes to speed off into traffic ahead somewhere. I think I've seen the last of him.

I get through the tolls, through the tunnel, and am cruising along a few miles past the tunnel he shows up again. He was starting to pass me two lanes over, then had to merge so he's one lane over, then falls back and gets in line behind me, yet again. And he stayed there until he reached his exit and merged all the way over.

He could have just gotten in line behind me way back on 695 and cruised along with traffic in the left lane and it wouldn't have made the least bit a difference in his travel time.

And I can't help but wonder if he was aware that the car in front of him was the same one he passed way back on 695. That all his weaving and speeding and poo poo had made no difference at all. Do any of the assholes like him ever come to this realization, that their driving is poo poo and they're acting like an rear end in a top hat?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Murphys Law posted:

The do-nothing pass

You know how you could sit in half a mile of heavy traffic for 15 minutes to get somewhere, or take 15 minutes to take some backroads to get to the same place, but it makes you feel better because you're doing something? Maybe it's like that, but in traffic? Years of conditioning from playing GTA to cut in and out of NPCs traffic? Or he drives like that a lot when traffic is lighter and it works then, so why wouldn't it work here.

Dunno. Either way, he probably doesn't think he's an rear end in a top hat. He thinks everyone else on the road is an rear end in a top hat. Not that he's wrong. Every driver is a jerk until proven otherwise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My breaking of the speedlimit depends on the speedlimit. Is it a 50-65 mph road? 8-10 over. Is it anything else? 3-5 over (My speedo reads 2 mph high, so if it says I'm going 65, I'm really going 63, which is fine).

Yes, this includes 73-75 on a 70 mph road, because I know Wisconsin cops will pull you over for 80 flat out.

I still miss US 151 though, you could go 68-70 down that thing (signed 65 mph) and no one would give you grief at all. The only thing you had to worry about was tractors and people slowing down for turns. The best people would signal they were turning before braking, the worst would brake at the last second and then signal.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still keep to my 2x-5 formula. In a 55? No more than 105.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I got nailed this morning while passing slow assholes. 52 in a 40, passing people doing 35 :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I got nailed this morning while passing slow assholes. 52 in a 40, passing people doing 35 :(

In a situation where you have to go into the oncoming lane to overtake, or on a road with multiple lanes?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to say entering a passing zone and getting clocked there isn't fair. In Drivers Ed they literally tell you to pass as fast as you can.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
A two lane road that had just widened to three lanes, so I was quickly passing on the left. Got down the hill and around a slight curve and the motorcycle cop was there so I knew I was boned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I was going to say entering a passing zone and getting clocked there isn't fair. In Drivers Ed they literally tell you to pass as fast as you can.

Except the law in some states actually specify a cap on how far over the limit is legal for a dashed yellow pass.

Cops can get you for anything if they're in a mood.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wait, there are actually codified exceptions to the speed limit for passing across the centerline? :monocle:

I thought it was one of those things like the Pittsburgh Left, which is technically illegal, but everyone would die in a fire if it were enforced.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

A two lane road that had just widened to three lanes, so I was quickly passing on the left. Got down the hill and around a slight curve and the motorcycle cop was there so I knew I was boned.

Oooh yeah, I've been there (though luckily I haven't been caught for it, because I almost certainly would have had my license suspended for going more than 40 km/h over the limit).

I get that you 20 motorcyclists out for a ride would like to do 20 km/h under the speed limit along this 50 km stretch of road where it's basically impossible to pass, down to 40 km/h under in corners because Harleys can't corner worth a wet gently caress, but the rest of us have places we'd actually like to be!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Platystemon posted:

Wait, there are actually codified exceptions to the speed limit for passing across the centerline? :monocle:

I thought it was one of those things like the Pittsburgh Left, which is technically illegal, but everyone would die in a fire if it were enforced.

we call that the Boston Left up here and yeah I'm pretty sure you'd die in a vicious road rage beatdown if you didn't do them at every opportunity.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Someone pulling a Pittsburgh Left way too late caused the accident I was in last year so I'd like to just formally say gently caress you and die in a fire if you try to make a left turn when someone's there ready to go straight.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Will self driving cars understand the Pittsburgh left? I bet if you get out in front of one fast enough though they will stop in time. This will become a new hobby for people.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

kastein posted:

we call that the Boston Left up here and yeah I'm pretty sure you'd die in a vicious road rage beatdown if you didn't do them at every opportunity.

First time I visited my sister in Boston (never been to Boston before) I didn't know that was a thing. Dude behind me got out of his car to knock on my window and politely let me know the deal, got back in his car, and waited for the next light cycle.

And by that I mean he called me a lot of very not-nice things to insult my intelligence, genetic history, and my state of residence.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Someone pulling a Pittsburgh Left way too late caused the accident I was in last year so I'd like to just formally say gently caress you and die in a fire if you try to make a left turn when someone's there ready to go straight.

Yet again I can't help but feel like you might be part all of the problem in these stories...

PCOS Bill posted:

No cop, no speed limit

PCOS Bill posted:

I still keep to my 2x-5 formula. In a 55? No more than 105.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I had to look up the pittsburgh left and if you pulled that poo poo in California, you'd be loving killed.
Of course, also discovered these things called "green arrows" at busy intersections, you guys should try them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It never ceases to amaze me that you guys not only haven't put him on ignore, you still fall for his poo poo.

Last week someone drat near killed me... they flew past me on the left on i90 westbound just after the 495 interchange, then remembered they wanted to stop at the reststop, so they threw out the anchor while panic-merging across 2 lanes of traffic, me being the middle lane. If I hadn't buried the brake pedal in the firewall their rear quarter panel would have become one with my front fender. No turn signal, the only warning I got was seeing their brake lights come on and their nose dive followed by the beginning of a swerve.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Yet again I can't help but feel like you might be part all of the problem in these stories...

Yes you're right, going straight in an intersection and someone cuts me off by turning left, seeing me, and panic stopping directly in front of me instead of completing their turn makes it my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

nm posted:

Of course, also discovered these things called "green arrows" at busy intersections, you guys should try them.

I live in a newer suburb, where protected turns are the rule, and in the few unprotected intersections around here people just cannot handle the idea of yielding to turn. It's one of the few things I envy about L.A. traffic. There's just no winning.