Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I keep remembering shows I forgot about godddammit, this list keeps ballooning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Luke Cage gonna be this year's JJ? God I hope not

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Luke Cage gonna be this year's JJ? God I hope not

It absolutely will not be, I don't think it has a solid enough thematic core to make up for its even worse sense of plotting and from what I've seen most people seem to agree. I don't see it making the top 10, but I'm wrong about everything all the time so gently caress me I guess.

Honestly it's one of the only shows I watched this year (along with Stranger Things) I immediately realized was not in consideration for my list.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the only reason Luke Cage is on my list is because I really have not seen a ton of shows this year. Like I said it's got its moments, but overall is very weak in some key areas.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Luke Cage isn't on my list but Stranger things definitely is.

(Ari, I almost put DiU on my list but I realized having two anime on my list would be a bit much)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honorable Mentions:

Luke Cage (Netflix): If Diamondback wasn't so tonally inconsistent with the rest of the show, it'd be on my list.

Braindead (CBS): The best scenes in Braindead are the scenes in which :nws:Michael Moore:nws: cameos, and the Recap segments This is not an insult.

Person of Interest (CBS): I didn't like the ending, but the season, through the 99th episode, was wonderful. Had it stuck the landing, it'd be on my list.

Arrow and Flash (CW): They've been good this season, and would probably be on the list if this season was the only one that mattered on the list. Tom Felton has been a wonderful addition to The Flash cast, and the show is starting to pick up on what made Season 1 great. Arrow, too, is working towards removing the issues that had plagued it. That said, Seasons 2 and 4 of Flash and Arrow respectively drag it down, and with all the TV I watched, they prevented it from making the list. Legends was on this list too but this really did have too much TV this year.

#10: 12 Monkeys(Syfy): This show is wonderful, and two years ago would have been #1 this year, but as it is, it is instead a solid choice on this list that was quite difficult to place. Season 1 was fun, but Season 2 was wonderful and I am excited to see what they have in store for Season 3.

#9: Supergirl(CW): Tyler Hoechlin is the Superman we all needed. His cheerful upbeat nature contrasts nicely with the grim superheroes on the big screen and over in Earth-1. Even without him, though, Supergirl is still hitting the right notes. The subplot where Alex comes out as a lesbian is one of the more realistic portrayals of someone coming out to themselves I've seen on television, and for how bombastic the show usually is, they've handled it with a wonderful level of subtlety. I had to dock points off because of Cyborg Superman, because I felt that the joke of making Kara's Dad Cyborg Superman was RIGHT THERE. Kara and Lena also have wonderful chemistry and it's fun to see them play off each other. Also, Lynda Carter as the President! It's a good time for all!

#8: iZombie(CW): By all rights this should be much higher on the list, but unfortunately they aren't airing Season 3 until APRIL(!!!). That said, the second half of Season 2 was quite great, and I'm excited to see where the show goes from here.

#7: The Good Place(NBC): Now we're getting to the great forking television. The Good Place is the best show that debuted this year, and I hope it stays at this level of quality for the foreseeable future, and I will definitely be voting it higher next year.

#6: Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir/Miraculous Ladybug (Nick/Tfou): This one was originally a lot lower, but recently it aired a musical christmas special that was wonderful. It's a monster of the week children's show, and I really like it. Season 2 will be coming out in May, and I am excited to see what happens in the show for season 2.

#5: Talking Smack(WWE Network): When did the best show in Pro Wrestling become a Talk Show that airs exclusively on a web streaming service? Talking Smack is a wonderful place that allows wrestlers to relax and build their characters in a more organic way. It makes up for not having the third hour of Raw to do so by focusing all of their character building on this half hour show. While I will occasionally skip Raw and Smackdown, I will never skip Talking Smack.

#4: Galavant (ABC): Last year, I put Galavant on slightly reluctantly as #10 because I loved the title of the season 2 opener. It was a good show, but it never really rose above good. You might be able to guess by where it is placed on the list that Galavant Season 2 was infinitely superior to Season 1. It shook things up from season 1, and everyone stepped up, from the actors to the songwriters. While I couldn't really name a song from Season 1 that I particularly loved, I can name six from Season 2 off the top of my head, (Galavant Recap, I Don't Like You, Do the D'Dew, Maybe You Won't Die Alone, The Happiest Day of My Life, Off With His Shirt), and there's more where that came from. Vinnie Jones sings, and for that reason, Galavant is my #4 show of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3RGhznctE
#3: Yuri!!! on Ice (TV Asashi/Crunchyroll): It's not my list without an anime, and I can't think of one more deserving than an anime with the absolutely most Viktuurious theme of the season. It's also the most bait-and-switch anime title I've seen.

Wikipedia summary: After suffering a crushing defeat during the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and other failed showings at other skating competitions, Yuri Katsuki develops mixed feelings about ice skating and puts his career on hiatus, going to college in Detroit and later returning to his hometown of Hasetsu in Kyushu. He visits his childhood friend Yuko at an ice rink known as "Ice Castle Hasetsu" and perfectly mimics an advanced skating routine performed by famous Russian figure skater Victor Nikiforov, who is Yuri's idol. When secretly recorded footage of Yuri's performance is uploaded to the internet, it catches the attention of Victor, who travels to Kyushu and offers to coach Yuri and restart his figure skating career. Together with Victor, Yuri aims to win the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series as he battles against his rival, Yuri Plisetsky, a 15-year-old rising star skater from Russia.

It's a wonderful anime, and I love the dub so much. It's a wonderful show, please watch it because it's amazing.

So, now you're thinking "hey, Senerio, just tell us what #2 is so we can mark Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as your #1 and move on to the next list," which, it'd be fair to think considering my posting habits,

#2: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW): BUT NO! Crazy Ex-Girlfriend did NOT make it as my #1 this year. It's still an amazing show, and I loved a lot of the new music, and I think that it will continue to be on my favorite list as it continues. When I think that it's going to drag on a bit, they change up the formula and make it a fresh idea again! I am looking forward to what the show does in 2017, and I expect it to hold up.

So, what's my #1 show? Well, I'll give you my journey to explain why I put it where I put it. (With apologies for my lovely crop job)

"So, I watched this entire show in this year. Let's see where I'm going to put it."

"Okay, so it's def an HM if nothing else."

"Yeah, it'll be on the list."

"Okay, top 5"

"Top 3"

"Yeah, it's #2"

"Yeah, it's way past qualified to be #1."

"Well drat."

#1: Steven Universe (Cartoon Network): Yep.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 28, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaggitz posted:

Luke Cage isn't on my list but Stranger things definitely is.

(Ari, I almost put DiU on my list but I realized having two anime on my list would be a bit much)

I'm still debating putting DiU on there

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You can put anime on your lists without it being this weird thing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Arist posted:

I'm still debating putting DiU on there

if we both do it itll be less weird!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Junpei Hyde posted:

You can put anime on your lists without it being this weird thing.

Zaggitz posted:

if we both do it itll be less weird!

It's not that I think it'll be weird, it's just that I have 20+ other shows on my list.

But, it's up there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

#5: Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir/Miraculous Ladybug (Nick/Tfou): This one was originally a lot lower, but recently it aired a musical christmas special that was wonderful. It's a monster of the week children's show, and I really like it. Season 2 will be coming out in May, and I am excited to see what happens in the show for season 2.

This is all just one show, right?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

This is all just one show, right?

Yeah, English name and French Name. Wasn't sure which one people would use so I used both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous:_Tales_of_Ladybug_%26_Cat_Noir

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Fargo is not in contention for the Best of 2016. Because it came out in 2015.

Sorry, my bad.

Still wondering why OitnB isn't on anyone's list here though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cause it wasn't that fantastic or memorable outside of the final two eps imo. It's like, 42 on my full list.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Cause it wasn't that fantastic or memorable outside of the final two eps imo. It's like, 42 on my full list.

But the final two eps leave you hankering for more!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loving hated this season of OITNB. The whole thing. The loving veteran serial killer guard? Are you kidding me with that bullshit

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Zaggitz reminded me to do this, but it'll probably be my last year trying to compile a best-of list just because I'm not watching nearly as much television as I used to. I struggled to remember even ten shows I watched at least most of this year!

Runners-up (aka the only other shows I watched that didn't crack this list): Luke Cage, American Horror Story: Roanoke

10. Supergirl - Love the characters and their fun interactions but I do. not. care. at. all. about the myth arcs with CADMUS and whatnot.

9. Last Week Tonight - Fell off a little for me this year mostly out of election coverage burn-out, but I still watched it regularly.

8. American Crime Story - Sometimes you get the Good Ryan Murphy, though I did kind of laugh every time an actor/actress walked onto the scene and introduced themselves as Mark Fuhrman/Robert Shapiro/etc. At times it felt like those name intros should have been accompanied by record scratches or ominous music.

7. Full Frontal w/ Samantha Bee - She was pretty much full-tilt election coverage this season, obviously, but I don't know. Found it enjoyable enough.

6. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Still a stupidly charming show.

5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Zaggitz finally got me to watch it and I loved it. All hail White Josh and Darryl.

4. Black Mirror - Made the list almost entirely on the back of San Junipero, but I loved that enough to watch the rest of the series afterward. I know it's drastically different tonally, but most episodes are still so good.

3. The Good Place - Fun fact: Janet is me! Love this show.

2. Stranger Things - Whether it falls on its face in a second season or not, I loved the poo poo out of the first season.

1. Person of Interest - Pretty much the reason I compiled a top 10 list, to put this show at #1 for the last time. Shaw will be one of my most favorite television characters for a good, long time.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Runners up: Luke Cage, American Crime Story, Vikings

10.The Americans
This show's always been a runner up but really hit it out of the park this year. A drat good spy thriller with drat good morally ambiguous storylines

9.The Good Place
Funny and philosophical with great characters and a fully realized world

8. Wynonna Earp
Does what a lot of shows like it try to do but usually fail: It's brainless without being stupid and fun without being meaningless

7. Z Nation
Look I've put this show in my top 10 for three years now so I'm not sure what's left to say anymore. There are no out of place or poorly written characters, when poo poo gets real it gets REAL and it is still the only show where the writers have said "Anyone can die" and my response isn't a dry and sarcastic "Really? :geno:"

6. Supergirl
Infectiously positive and saccharine and earns every second of it.

5. The Expanse
Manages to fit good character-driven drama, a decent murder mystery, political intrigue and great scifi worldbuilding into a single show.

4. 12 Monkeys
People use the word "Mindfuck" for a show like this, it is a show about time travel after all and time travel stories are often confusing and only make sense after repeat viewings. Then comes the psychedelic imagery and music to show abstract concepts like the human perception of time and "Mindfuck" sounds about right, but I think that's selling it short. The good character development and plotting means it's fair to say this show makes sweet love to your mind thank you very much :v:

3. Inhuman Condition
Darklydreaming three months ago:"This is gonna make me cry isn't it?"
Unnamed friend three months ago: "Buckle up"
I was not ready for a cheap webseries staring Torri Higginson about an urban fantasy therapist's office to utterly destroy my emotions, but it really did

2. Westworld
Managed to consistently surprise me and play with my expectations with every new episode.

1. Better Call Saul
Once again the actors make it look easy, the cinematographers blow our minds with what they can attach a PoV camera to and the montages are amazing. Good tv

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 16, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the sake of narcissism, here's my 40-11:

40. Silicon Valley
39. Superstore
38. Vice Principals
37. Queen Sugar
36. Stranger Things
35. Black Mirror
34. BrainDead
33. Divorce
32. Fleabag
31. The Young Pope
30. Togetherness
29. Baskets
28. Steven Universe
27. Halt and Catch Fire
26. The Eric Andre Show
25. Mozart in the Jungle
24. Love
23. Peaky Blinders
22. Easy
21. Game of Thrones
20. Veep
19. Girls
18. The Get Down
17. BoJack Horseman
16. Transparent
15. The Good Place
14. One Mississippi
13. Better Call Saul
12. Adventure Time
11. Rectify

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
10. High Maintenence
This show is pretty much the definition of “my poo poo”. I just absolutely love the tone. Almost all of the stories are masterful slices of life that never feel dramatised or ridiculous. A substantial step up from even the best of the web series. And it’s gorgeously-shot too.

09. Mr. Robot
This may not have been the season I or anybody else wanted, but while I’m still miffed about what didn’t happen, what did happen was still fantastic. The unsettling tone only became more effective, and it had some of the greatest character work of the year. Hopefully next season can speed up the story a lil more.

08. Lady Dynamite
Like Arrested Development having a manic episode, this show detailed Maria Bamford’s history of mental illness with stark realism while simultaneously being absurdist and bizarre and hilarious. Mixed some of the darkest humour of the year under a giddy, smiling mask - that goddamn Mexico episode holy hell

07. You’re the Worst
While the season had some structural issues, causing characters to feel like they turn on a dime, it also provided some of the best single television episodes of the year, and completely nailed the ending. The humour felt like it was getting tame towards the end of season 2, but this season remembered how lovely everyone is meant to be and added the venom back, and it was possibly the funniest season yet.

06. Better Things
Started off as “girl Louie” for sure, but only took a couple of episodes to become perhaps the strongest depiction of motherhood ever seen in a visual medium. The more chaotic scenes are pitch-perfect, and get you into Adlon’s head extremely well, while the slower scenes are extremely painful and true. The entire cast are supremely talented. This show will make you wish Pamela Adlon was your mom.

05. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
An impeccable blend of sharp scripting, feminist satire, and some of the catchiest, funniest songs you’ll hear all year. The songwriters can seemingly pull off any genre or style with aplomb, while the storylines only get better, causing a show almost designed to stay stuck in one place forever to have genuine, heartfelt development for every character. GREG THOUGH :(

04. American Crime Story: The People v. O. J. Simpson
Managed to be smart, thoughtful, and empathetic without ever having to give an inch with regards to being fun and entertaining as all hell. There’s at least three or four performances here that could rank among the best of the year, with Paulsen and Brown the standouts. Although dramatised, it was still a valuable education tool on the specifics of the trial and how it gave way to so much of the current media culture.

03. Westworld
This first season was far from perfect, with needless obfuscation causing many storylines to become frustrating. And the internet totally ruined it by figuring it all out after episode 2 and spreading these theories everywhere. But when it was good, it was in the running for best science fiction show of all time, raising so many interesting questions on the nature of consciousness and how memory and such would work for a programmed brain without human imperfections. Incredible performances, exciting action scenes, and A+ production design and cinematography didn’t hurt either. Season 2 has all the potential to be the greatest poo poo ever.

02. Atlanta
A fantastic blend of hangout show, surreal drama, absurdist comedy, and ‘issues’ television that could only have come from Glover’s brain. One of the best examples of TV as anthropology, taking the audience into a place most of us would usually never see and giving us an understanding of what it means to be in the shoes of the characters. Glover does an excellent job as the straight man, while the two other leads, Alfred and Darius, are two of the best new characters of the year, with Brian Tyree Henry especially giving a brilliant performance as Alfred. And Glover’s claim to want to avoid “clapter” comes through in spades; this is very possibly the funniest comedy-drama of the past few years. Well except for….

01. Horace and Pete
This is, and will forever be, one of the best, most exciting experiences I’ve had watching a show. This is a show I’ll still be bugging people about in 20 years, like I’ve bugged TVIV about so many times this year. This is the best 31 bucks I ever spent. It’s one of the most unique shows in forever, taking from TV’s golden age to create something new and exciting. It’s David Lynch’s bar multicam, it’s the best blend of gut-busting comedy and brutal, despair-inducing tragedy of all time, it’s another show that takes inspiration from so much but could only have come from the brain of its creator. Not knowing anything about what was coming every week made every episode a genuinely special event, and I firmly believe Alan Alda’s Uncle Pete is the best comic creation of this decade so far. This was the best cast of any show this year. This was messy, never quite managing to seamlessly blend the serialised element with “news of the week” talk, having some characters’ arcs end disappointingly, and being slightly preachy at times. But this was also the funniest, saddest, weirdest, most blindingly ambitious show I’ve seen this year, and it could very possibly go down at Louis CK’s masterpiece. Never before has my #1 been such an easy pick. No comedy tickled my funny bone more, and no drama hit my heart harder. I just…..I loving love it so much.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Popping in to say that I'm starting to enjoy how this annual tradition is making me "responsible" in my TV-watching. I gotta make time to binge a few shows I'm interested in before I can finalize my list before deadline. And then I make a resolution to start/catch-up on a longer running show early in the new year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

01. Horace and Pete

I have literally never heard of this show - Louis CK, Steve Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco, Steven Wright, JESSICA LANGE!?! Holy poo poo. I gotta check this out.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Honorable Mention Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Black Mirror, Vinyl, Girls and Ballers.

10. The Walking Dead
If I hadn't stopped paying for HBO after episode 3 of West World I don't think TWD would still be in my list. If any episode of The Leftovers had aired it definitely wouldn't be. Still, it is event television and there are still some great stories to be told for Rick and company. The question is, what is the endgame for this show and can they maintain quality/interest until we get there?

09. Hawaii Five O
This show can be a little stupid (especially when they get crazy with the lovely CG) but I love Hawaii enough that HD shots of Oahu are always welcome on my TV. It can also be a hell of a lot of fun, S7E8 Hana Komo Pae, and sometimes even smart, S7E9 Elua la ma Nowemapa. The ensemble cast is great and bonus points for starring Jin and Hurley from :lost:.

08. Colony
My surprise of 2016. I've heard Josh Holloway is really cool/down to Earth guy IRL so I was hoping his new show would do well. The premise looked a little weak to me (I'm not usually big on generic Sci-Fi) but it is actually a very tense-thriller that uses the sci-fi angle sparingly with great effect. As an Iraq War veteran, I found the parallels to our own recent history to be smarter and better executed than I would have ever expected from a show about aliens on USA. Carlton Cuse has done it again.

07. Mr. Robot
While I still like and respect the hell out of this show, it hit a bit of a sophomore slump for me and I can't put my finger on why. I didn't even watch season 2 until it was all done airing. Rami Malek continues to own, though, and I'm very happy for all the deserved recognition the cast and crew has gotten.

06. Silicon Valley
Still my favorite comedy on TV. The cast and crew managed to essentially pull off resetting the show without making it feel tired or tedious. The cast of this show is amazing and they work off each other flawlessly.

05. Better Call Saul
it's rare for a spinoff to walk the tight rope of being recognizably related to the original but so completely and gloriously its own cool thing. Just like last year, if this was my list of "best" versus "favorite" this show would be several slots higher, probably #2.

04. The X-Files
A triumphant return to the small screen for Mulder and Scully. Yes, there were problems. Namely, where the hell is Carter going with the myth arc? Why did they bring back the wonderful Mitch Pileggi only to basically not use him? Still, it was wonderful to have Duchovny and Anderson back on the case and neither of them missed a beat. Home Again was a rock solid monster of the week episode and Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster was as good as anything the show has ever done. Mainly though, I'm grateful that this happened because it inspired me to rewatch the show from Season 1. drat if this show wasn't great when it was at its peak.

03. Stranger Things
Where do I throw my money to buy my seat on the bandwagon? I'm all in. As a child of the 80s this hit all the right notes for me and I loved every single thing about this show. The acting was also really top notch and wow, Wynona Ryder was fantastic.

02. The Man in the High Castle
A late, late submission to my list (didn't even start Season 1 until last week. I wish I had gotten in on this sooner. I was a little skeptical how well Netflix could handle world-building on scale this massive. They certainly delivered though, in a most frighteningly good way. 1960s America re-imagined as a conquered shell of itself under Imperial Japanese and Nazi German rule comes to life in impressively grande scope and gorgeously intricate detail. That isn't to say there isn't wonderful substance under flashy exterior. This show consistently delivers anxiety-grade tension. Finally, the bad guy from A Knight's Tale and Crazy Eddie Sakamura from Rising Sun are in it, and they own.

01. Game of Thrones
I have always really liked this show, somewhere along the way I even started to love it. It always lagged a bit on my "best" versus "favorite", though. Sure, it was big, and epic, and all that but I was never really dazzled in the ways that a show like The Leftovers does. I thought this season was going to be a lot of fun, for sure, but not really deserving of those Best Drama trophies it was piling up. I was wrong. Somewhere along this season, GoT started crushing them over the fence. Hold the Door was a masterpiece of editing and time-travel/dimensional story telling. No surprise it was directed by Jack Bender, who also directed The Constant for Lost. Oddly enough for as much I loved this season, Battle of the Bastards was a little bit of a letdown for me. Yes, the scope, cinematography, directing, editing where all there. Visually, it was top notch. That said, the story seemed a little predictable.

And then we get The Winds of Winter. :vince: :vince: :vince: This episode for me is as good as any single episode from any TV show I've seen. Story-telling at its finest. Music, acting, editing, directing it all came together in an absolutely glorious episode of television.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 3, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

10. The Good Place. It 's pretty funny, I like Kristen Bell and Ted Danson, and there's a good comedy on NBC again.

9. Unreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I think I didn't like this season as much as s1 but that's OK, it's funny still and I'm glad there's still a 30 Rock-like show to watch with the lots of jokes they do.

8. Always Sunny. Not their best season but it's an all-time good sitcom so I'm going to keep putting it on my list.

7. Black Sails. It's not particularly "high brow" but it's good fun, kind of like a lower rent Game of Thrones except with pirates instead of fantasy people. The reasons I like it are probably the same reasons people watch those comic book shows but pirates are cooler, they have cool clothes instead of wearing tights and masks and stuff. The gay pirate is pretty evil in this sason.

6. Better Call Saul. It's the Breaking Bad show of Walter White but it's the lawyer instead of the drug guys, and it has Mike and he's older than ever. I like the stupid dweeb who got his baseball cards stolen. This will end up being their best season but only ranks six on my list, haha.

5. Bojack the Horse Man. The Horse Man known as "Bojack" is back. He's still depressed and hosed up lol. They executed this seaso nwell though because the fuked up stuff "works" imho. It made me sad to watch it.

4. Game of Thrones. I'm a fan of this show. They did a good job making it this year. I'm not sure what this means ubt there will end up being like 60 episodes o f the people all killing each other while the rela danger of the White walkers lurks in the north and then like 10 episodes for dragons to fly in and burn those guys. Possible anticlimax coming(?) but it's been good so far. This was the season with a big battle, lots of blown up people, and where the famous saying "Hold the door" was revealed.

3. Veep. Oh gosh this season was really funny. They did top-notch writing and the funeral episode is probably one of my favorite half hours of comedy ever. Most of the comedies on this list I would watch and say "Hm, that was pretty funny.' But this one I sometimes owuld watch and then come on the internet and post "Whats up boys, tonights Veep episode was really funny, huh? "Thats how I know it was really good.

2. Stranger Things. It's a fresh new show and I like that about it. Ive been known to like Game of Thrones before but it's like season 6 of that show now, it's old hat, these days everyone is watching STranger Things and doing the font (someone tell me how dto do that). It's got a cool theme song that's retro and the show is retro too, but itis still new as well.

1. Survivor. Two great seasons this year, Im always a big Survivor fan but when I watched these I was a big fan of them too. Guess what, it's season 34 or somehting but even though I say I like new things this show always keeps it fresh by having on new people to root for or against. They had some great characters this year. A lot of people might think of competitive reality TV shows, that it's too trashy, or too goofy, or too normie. But if you arent watching Survivor you are missing out. It's got lots of suspense, strategy, and real epople who it's fun to watch because they all do the game differently.

Watched but intentionally not listed :twisted:: Westworld, Mr. Robot. Peace out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I love this post

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like the only person who doesn't get Stranger Things. I watched half of it and it was fine but I had zero compulsion to keep going.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's fine and fun but yeah it wouldn't have the love it does were it not for people loving loving the 80s for some reason.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's obviously very well done in terms of being a good story with good acting or whatever but what takes it from just being "fine" as you put it to something that really hits home with a lot of people is the mood that it evokes. It's that nostalgic feeling that tugs at you, from the moment you first hear the theme song and see the intro, and on through when you see these geeky 80s kids riding their bikes, and continuing along as they plot secretly away from the parents and so on. If that whole atmosphere fails to connect with you in the same way then you won't respond to it like the bigger fans have. And even though it's got that retro aesthetic it's also very refreshingly different from most new stuff coming out as a PG-rated adventure series that adults will enjoy. If this had been season 5 of the show but it was still exactly this good, I probably wouldn't be ranking it so highly, because admittedly it's not that great, but it's a new thing in TV this year that's hit a sweet spot with a lot of folks, wh oas Escobarbarian puts it all love the 80s for some reason, basically.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 18, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get Stranger Things, I just also don't like it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah the only reason Luke Cage is on my list is because I really have not seen a ton of shows this year. Like I said it's got its moments, but overall is very weak in some key areas.

Luke Cage is a good contender if you pretend it ended after episode 6.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Those first six episodes actually have a lot of the same problems just in less obvious forms.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Okay this list is probably going to be very basic and simple; maybe I'll expand on it when I have more time before the deadline

10. Venture Bros: gently caress I forgot they had their season this year. This show is still probably one of the greatest cartoons ever produced and Clancy Brown's Red Death is one of the best characters they have made which shows that even 13 years ongoing this show still makes some of the best characters. Season 6 was one of their best seasons mainly because of the change in setting was so refreshing despite fears that it would be jarring seeing Doc and co move to New York and living the high life.

9. Space Patrol Luluco: This is a 13 episode of shorts from Studio Trigger explaining the origin story of their studio mascot. It has space pirates, space Justice, and parodies/satire/self deprecation and crossovers with anything Studio Trigger has done so far. Its also a sweet story of love between a girl and someone with no heart. Each episode is also 6-7 mins long so it doesn't give time for Imaishi to ruin the show with the dumb excesses he is known for.

8. Daredevil Season 2: Like everyone I love the Punisher stuff, but I didn't actually mind the Hand that much. Criminal waste of Clancy Brown though which docks points off my list.

7. WWE Smackdown Live: Smackdown gained new life when it moved live in the middle of the year and gain Ryan Ward, who is known for being the writer of NXT during its "Golden years" (2014-2015). The show is just well booked and unlike say Raw, builds to each episode to lead to a satisfying conclusion. All I ask for wrestling is to be simple and to the point, sure it might lead to predictability, but I prefer that over Russo swerve booking nonsense.

6. WWE Talking Smack: Talking Smack is a show where you watch Daniel Bryan (in character the GM of Smackdown) act passive aggressive to the wrestlers and also to the company as a whole because he knows that WWE doesn't want to fire him so he can go die in the Tokyo Dome and give WWE a bad name when the headlines read "WWE Superstar dead from CTE related injuries" the show. The show is much looser than anything WWE has done, with a lot of the promos just being improv and proving that most wrestlers are good talkers if you just give them bullet points and a story to talk about instead of reading a script.

5. Luke Cage Season I: Yes the 1st half of the season was probably better and had much more believable/compelling characters, but goddamn it I know I'm the only one but I love the 2nd half for Diamondback being this batshit insane motherfucker. There is a lot of dumb poo poo (getting the protesters to side with the police to have better guns was pretty galling/tone deaf), but the score alone for this show puts it in my top 5.

4. WWE Presents the Cruiserweight Classic: The last of my Pro Graps entries, the CWC is a 10 week tournament to determine the best cruiserweight in the world. In those 10 weeks there were some incredible matches that many who just watch WWE would not be used to seeing. It works mainly because there is one goal, there are no fancy storylines and angles, just men fighting each other to prove they are the best. That's not to say there aren't any side stories/angles; the CWC spends a bunch of time devoted to vignettes for each wrestler explaining their background and struggles and dreams. Over time these become more focused as the field begins to shrink. All in all this was the best programming WWE has put together in years.

3. Preacher- I've read bits and pieces of Preacher, but I watched every bit of Preacher, it sags in the middle which hurts it, but what's good is really good; the hotel fight with the seraph and especially the strong season finale will always stick with me with some of the blackest comedy in mainstream TV today.

2. Better Call Saul Season 2: Just incredible TV all around from the acting, to the story, to the cinematography; Bob Odenkirk and Michael McKean are perfect and the final minutes of the season finale had me wanting for Season 3 to come out the next week.

1. Marvel's Agents of Shield- Look this show is probably not objectively the best show on TV, but for me it is the show I'll always go out of my way to watch live and chat on the GDT. It has a likable cast, great supporting roles from character actors (this year its John Hannah which automatically means this show had to be a top 3 show for me anyway), fun dialogue, and great CGI for a TV show. I'm biased as gently caress since I've stuck with this show since the really boring 1st half of season one and until this show is ended it will never leave my number 1.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 27, 2016

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

5. Luke Cage Season I: Yes the 1st half of the season was probably better and had much more believable/compelling characters, but goddamn it I know I'm the only one but I love the 2nd half for Diamondback being this batshit insane motherfucker. There is a lot of dumb poo poo (getting the protesters to side with the police to have better guns was pretty galling/tone deaf), but the score alone for this show puts it in my top 5.
I agree with every part of this. I enjoyed the half-brother backstory.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just a note, I haven't gotten to Better Call Saul or Mr. Robot this year. I'm having trouble motivating myself but I'm sure they're both fantastic. That said, here's my list:

10- 3%
Ok, so I'll probably be the only person to list this. It's Netflix' super low budget Hunger Games-esque YA novel disguised as a TV show, and it's foreign with subtitles. I imagine a lot of people staying away. That said, it hits a lot of the right notes for me. Sci-fi dystopia that force a group of people to work together by completing weird little social and brain tests is a genre I could watch a lot of. Movies like Cube or Exam are my weakness and the night I started watching this show I stayed up too late because I just wanted to watch one more episode. I just love the idea of pretty much everything about it, even if the execution leaves something to be desired.

9- Silicon Valley
It still makes me laugh, I like the characters, and the show's attitude with regards to startups is so real that it hurts. But in a good way because it lets me laugh at the absurdity of real life.

8- Last Week Tonight
Probably not as funny as Silicon Valley but its on far more and is a consistent look at the world that manages to make me laugh. I like Jon a lot, which helps.

7- Bojack Horseman
More of Bojack is a good thing. I really like the experiments they did this season and can't wait to see the depths they take Bojack to next.

6- Stranger Things
It was just plain fun to watch, regardless of any problems it had.

5- The Good Place
This show is funny and has a super unique premise. Plus, it carries much of the same optimism as Parks and Rec. What's not to like?

4- Black Mirror
More dystopian sci-fi, with a ton of interesting premises. It's a bit inconsistent, as always, but San Junipero was probably my favorite episode of anything this year.

3- Game of Thrones
I'm in the "Hold the Door was great" camp. The last few episodes were pretty fantastic in general. Can't wait to see where it goes next.

2- Crazy Ex Girlfriend
This show is hilarious, and I love the music. The second half of the first season and the first half of the second aired this year, and both were amazing.

1- Westworld
My favorite Television experience this year. I loved the atmosphere and structure of this show, and theorycrafting everything was a blast. It sucks that there won't be more for a long while.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Other watched programs - Great British Bake Off, American Dad, Once Upon a Time (It's so goddamn bad but I can't stop watching), Star Vs the Forces of Evil, Superstore, The Good Place (Fantastic.), Selling Houses Australia.

10 - The Block - Aussie Renovation program. There are dozens of episodes every year, but I love a good makeover show. I was really rooting fo the lesbians (The first ever ones on The Block!) to win.

9 - Fear the Walking Dead - You know what, this wasn't as terrible as original Walking Dead this year. There was a bit of hope and not just misery. Plus we had a variety of locations, Ocean, Islands, Mexico, Hotel, Vinyard. It's not art and some of the characters are utterly despicable and there are massive plotholes, but it's kind of enjoyable. Plus, someone mentioned that TWD is about a band of heroes while Fear is about a band of Villains (They just don't know they're villains). The show makes a ton more sense when you view it from that angle.

8 - Teen Titans Go! - A consistently funny cartoon for kids. There are a few LOLRANDOM episodes, but there are a number of subversive or just plain funny episodes this year. An episode about Real Estate investment (Surprisingly sound!), 90s Rollerblading, and an Island Vacation were all gold. The Oregon Trail episode however is compulsory viewing for anyone who gave that game a go as a kid. This show is an expert at trolling its viewers.

7 - Hoarders - This cesspool of human suffering lets you feel better about your own shambles of a life after viewing. We'd have friends over to watch Drag Race and would finish with this a few times this year. Watching some kid trying to garner attention by SWEEPING THE LAWN with a broom was loving hilarious.

6 - Agent Carter - This season was a lot lighter in tone, and had a nice change of pace. Madame Masque was one of the most interesting villains in the MCU. Until the final episode. Complete fuckup in the final episode. A fantastic cast which was a pleasure to watch.

5 - American Horror Story: Hotel - The cinematography, the synth & camp are what put Hotel above Roanoke for me(I love The Shining). Sure there are some rubbish plots (SERIAL KILLER DAD), but a lot of fun mayhem and Lady Gaga swanning around in fancy costumes. Liz Taylor was the MVP of the season.

4 - Westworld - Sentient Sex Robots meets the Old West. Maeve was the best part of an occasionally unfocused season. A brilliant concept which I want to see more of.

3 - Stranger Things - Tonally consistent and just pure nostalgia. There are countless feel-pinion pieces you can read about this show. It was fun.

2 - RuPaul's Drag Race (Season 8 + All Stars 2) - A return to form after a lackluster Season 7. Two strong seasons this year with two expected, but largely deserving winners. Hilarious moments, main stage performances (Bitch Perfect!), great fashion and crazy lip-synchs make this a must-see. Utterly quotable. May the best woman *Lifts arm* WIN!

1- The Muppets - A joy to watch these lovable characters again. I just had a goofy grin on my face watching them interact. It's a shame so many people had to express THEIR FEELINGS about "WHEN I WAS A KID THE MUPPETS WAS X AND THIS IS NOT WHAT I REMEMBER" which led to a soft reboot and then a cancellation. I just really loved watching this fun show. Uncle Deadly was a scene-stealer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
10. Daredevil I am an anomaly, I really hate the Punisher in comics and on the screen. However I really liked the Hand/Electra plot and that was enough to push this show to my favorites.

09. Preacher The decision to start the series well before the roadtrip and run the Meat Factory arc in this time was smart. The casting is dead on and the performances are great. I was a fan of the original comic series and actually like the show so far a lot more.

08. Agent Carter Season 2 was gorgeous and stylish and had fantastic performances and proves we don't get to keep nice things.

07. Stranger Things I was in college and the Army in the 80s not high school or middle school but I still really dug this show's look and feel. The performances were great too, and It doesn't hurt that I am a serious D&D nerd.

06. Agents of SHIELD Daisy becoming Quake.Ward becoming HIVE. Lincoln becoming dead. All great. And now with a killer leadoff with the new season.

05. Last Week Tonight Oliver voices my pent up rage in such a satisfying manner.

04. Cleverman An Aussie fantasy/horror series that manages to not downplay or make noble savages of the native peoples. Only six episodes and worth tracking down.

03. Falling Water USA network moving away from 'Characters Welcome' to whatever they're calling it now led from Mr. Robot to this incredible slow burn series that is all about the characters, some really trippy visuals and an apparently dense plot that's actually pretty cool

02. Westworld Fortunately this filled the psychotic-AI shaped hole in my heart. Next season isn't until 2018? MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

...and number one with a bullet to the kneecap...

01. Person of Interest. Season Five was delayed and still paid off in spades. I haven't been so sad about a series being canceled since Farscape.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 26, 2016

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I did my list for another forum, and after thinking about it I've already changed my mind.

Honorable Mentions- OITNB (great season) Goliath, and The Crown (this was the hardest show to leave off my top 10)

10- Westworld
I was going to leave it off my list, but I realized it was just my personal backlash against some of its fans who treat it like it is deeper than it really is. The writing is weak, and no real character development. Still I enjoyed it enough for it squeak into my top 10. Also WW might be a better show quality wise than ST, but ST was better at what it was suppose to be than WW.

9- Stranger Things
I know it has flaws, but as someone who was a Stephen King reading child/teenager in the 80's I don't care. Might be the weakest show on my list, but it entertained the hell out of me.

8- Love
My biggest surprise of 2016. I adore this show. Please more people watch it. Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust are just amazing in it.

7- The Americans
I binged watched every season in 2016, and it just got better with every season quality wise. I feel like it should be higher (maybe over Mr. Robot), but maybe I am unfairly punishing it because of the way I watched it.

6- Silicon Valley
Not its strongest season, but still amazing.

5- Mr. Robot
I am surprised I am rating it so high. I had tons of issue with this season, but in the end it is the show I am looking forward to the most in 2017. It blew my mind at times.

4- Atlanta
The most original series of 2016. Also it is drat good. Donald Glover is a true renaissance man.

3- Game of Thrones
I was starting to lose hope in the show last year, but this season all hope has been restored.

2- Quarry
Some of the best acting and directing on television this year. Also the finale with a 7 minute continuous one shot set in the Vietnam War might be the high point of the year.

1- Halt & Catch Fire
This was my number 2 show last year (behind Leftovers), and since no Leftovers this year it took my top spot easily. Criminally under-watched.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I can't really give an order, just the ten shows I liked best.

If you want any of these to count in the poll you need to provide an order.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Looten Plunder posted:

If you want any of these to count in the poll you need to provide an order.

Honestly, the poll doesn't really matter. This is just the place to talk about all the TV we liked this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Senerio posted:

Honestly, the poll doesn't really matter. This is just the place to talk about all the TV we liked this year.

I disagree, I have definitely used the polls from past years to check out shows I might otherwise have overlooked. It's not the only thing but I appreciate folks who make the effort to participate.

• Locked thread