Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Edited my grammar thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
also Bryce Papenbrook as Nagito Komaeda is one of his greatest roles in history

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Papenbrook is a phenominal Komaeda and I really wonder if NISA cast him as Naegi in DR1 because his Komaeda is really good.

Malah
May 18, 2015

FPzero posted:

: Nagito! There's definitely something wrong with you!
PREACH, HAJIME. Seriously, what the gently caress is Nagito's damage?

It's totally irrelevant at this point whether he's the killer; he's actively trying to kill everyone, anyway. It's actually even more messed up if he's not! At least the killer is acting out of self-preservation - or at least some kind of self-interest - but Nagito is so high on huffing hope that he would rather kill everybody and himself than deal with the reality that one of his "friends" killed Byakuya. It's kind of disgusting how insidious he is here: he's trying to convince everyone to effectively commit mass suicide, and he's kind of getting away with it because he's doing it with a smile and nice words. Junko would have had so much fun with him.

Come to think of it ... for a guy who fronts hope streaming out of every orifice, he's rather eager to give up and die. Nagito's a more captivating mystery than the killer is at this point.

Malah fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 10, 2016

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Malah posted:

PREACH, HAJIME. Seriously, what the gently caress is Nagito's damage?

It's totally irrelevant at this point whether he's the killer; he's actively trying to kill everyone, anyway. It's actually even more messed up if he's not! At least the killer is acting out of self-preservation - or at least some kind of self-interest - but Nagito is so high on huffing hope that he would rather kill everybody and himself than deal with the reality that one of his "friends" killed Byakuya. It's kind of disgusting how insidious he is here: he's trying to convince everyone to effectively commit mass suicide, and he's kind of getting away with it because he's doing it with a smile and nice words. Junko would have had so much fun with him.

Come to think of it ... for a guy who fronts hope streaming out of every orifice, he's rather eager to give up and die. Nagito's a more captivating mystery than the killer is at this point.

Yeah what the hell. Nagito, seems pretty despaired right now instead of hop...eful....

You know... I wonder if Nagito is actively trying to get everyone to despair... but why.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Talow posted:

Yeah what the hell. Nagito, seems pretty despaired right now instead of hop...eful....

You know... I wonder if Nagito is actively trying to get everyone to despair... but why.
Whatever the reason is, he's definitely Not Makoto.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Nagito, you save the breakdown for after you get caught. In any case all the makoto similarities seem to be a solid false flag at this point given that I really can't see the ultimate hope telling everyone to just give up and die like that.

Unless this is a super huge red herring it looks like they just clear cut flagged our killer at least.

You know, that's something I find funny about Danganronpa 1 and 2.. In (for example) Pheonix Wright at least when the culprit broke down and started cackling maniacally, you still had to prove the last piece of the puzzle because of the game world's insane law system. In Danganronpa it's based on the characters voting, but apparently having everything except the step-by-step walk through of the crime isn't convincing enough.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cuntellectual posted:

You know, that's something I find funny about Danganronpa 1 and 2.. In (for example) Pheonix Wright at least when the culprit broke down and started cackling maniacally, you still had to prove the last piece of the puzzle because of the game world's insane law system. In Danganronpa it's based on the characters voting, but apparently having everything except the step-by-step walk through of the crime isn't convincing enough.

"That guy hosed up his timeline recap. HE'S THE KILLER! GET HIM!"

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Talow posted:

Seriously, after that little speech !Makoto has moved up in my mind from "100% the killer" to "probably the spy if not the mastermind himself as well"

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

readingatwork posted:

"That guy hosed up his timeline recap. HE'S THE KILLER! GET HIM!"

It's definitely funny that the failure state is that the main character is convicted of being the killer, because there are a number of cases where they have a pretty complete alibi.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: You're the only one!

: Nagito... It was you, wasn't it?
: M-Me...?

: Judging from everyone's positions before the blackout... The only person near the power cord was you.

: Which means...the only one who could've felt their way to the table using the power cord was...Nagito!
: Th-That's just a coincidence!
: But still... You had a chance, right? A chance to hide the knife under the table...

Nagito's chance to hide the knife under the table was...

> When he was cleaning

: Nagito... Weren't you cleaning the dining hall all morning? If so...you would've had a chance to hide the knife!
: Th-That's...!

: If you factor in the power cord and the time you spent cleaning, you're the only one who could've done it!
: S-Seriously, that's all just a coincidence!
: If it was just one coincidence, it'd be fine... But when it's one right after another... I wonder... Is something like that even possible?
: Could it be...? Did you give yourself cleaning duty on purpose so you could hide the knife under the table...?
: Now that you mention it... Nagito did prepare the drawing to pick who cleaned the dining hall...

: To be honest, I already prepared a drawing because I assumed something like this would happen.

To go to the trouble of preparing this... Just what did you think would happen...?

: Whoever draws the chopstick with the red mark on it will be in charge of cleaning, okay? Does that sound fair?

: You rigged the drawing, didn't you? That's how you got picked to clean the dining hall, isn't it?
: I don't know if you're the killer or not, but... Regardless, it proves that you're suspicious, right?
: Gh...gh-gh...!

: If that's the case... That strange speech you made earlier... That was part of your plan, too...
: You got us to lower our guard and tried to hide the fact that you did it, didn't you, you motherfucker!?
: Well? Just admit it already!
: Ngh...ngh...!

: Nagito, tell me you object to this... Frankly, I don't want to believe it either... We investigated together... You were so kind... I can't believe you're the one who killed Byakuya...

: Ngh...nghhhh...!

Music fades out.

: Nagito! Say something!

: Ngh...nghhhhhhhhhh...!

: Aha...!

: Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! The Ultimates are working together to combat the despair of their friend's death! Ah, how wonderful, how beautiful it is!
: ...Huh?

Those eyes... At that moment, Nagito's eyes...

The darkness in his eyes shone brightly, as if layers upon layers of darkness were folding into each other...

...As if hope and despair had been crudely mixed together.

: Let's cut to the chase... You're correct! It was my doing all along!

: I'm the one who hid the knife under the table before the party started.

: I'm the one who used the power cord to find my way to the table in the dark.

: And of course, I'm the one who caused the blackout. After all, there's no way I'd knowingly whip out a knife in front of everyone, right?
: I-Is it just me or...does he seem a little nuts right now?
: But...I never expected Byakuya to have night-vision goggles... Because of that, we had ourselves a little scuffle under the table...and, well, you all saw how that played out.
: But with a twist ending like this, I think we can all agree this ended up being a very interesting mystery.
: Hahaha! Byakuya performed admirably!

: J-Just stop it already...! Seriously...what the hell happened to you!?
: Don't tell me... Is this your true nature? Were you lying to us this entire time?
: Me, lie? That's outrageous! There's no way someone like me could ever lie to you guys!
: I understand better than anyone else that I'm ultimately worthless.

: I'm too arrogant to have dreams or cling to hope... I'm too disdainful to actually try at anything...
: I've made peace with the fact that I'm a lowly, stupid, insignificant human who can't do anything right.

: Holy crap! He's *totally* the type of guy who spent his childhood killing neighborhood pets!
: He seems like the sort of person whose eyes light up while watching "Friday the 13th"... Just like me.
: Th-That's quite the hobby you have there... But, like, now's not really the time to bring it up...

Th-This guy... Is he...? Is he...the *real* Nagito?

: Hey Nagito... If you were behind all of this, then did you also send that threatening letter...?

: Yep. I sure did. There's nobody else on this island whose handwriting is *that* painful to look at, right?

: But why would you send a threatening letter in the first place?
: I think...somewhere deep in my heart...I was probably hoping to find someone who would stop my evil deeds.
: ...Well, I bet if that really was my reason, at least some of you would feel sorry for me.
: Are you makin' fun of us!?
: By threatening Byakuya, Nagito was likely able to manipulate his actions.

: Then...how about that old-looking building near this hotel?

: Well, if it's just cleaning, leave it to me. I'm actually pretty good at it.

: In doing so, Nagito was able to manipulate everyone to the scene where the murder would occur... Am I wrong?
: That reminds me... Nagito was the one who suggested I guard the office.

: Well, not only is the storage room packed with lots of stuff, it's hard to see in there and full of cobwebs...
: Also, I was so busy cleaning the dining hall that I didn't even have time to clean the storage room.
: If you stayed in there for a long time...I think it would be bad for your health.
: In that case... Why don't you guard it in the office? If I recall correctly, there's also a circuit breaker in there, too. It'd be a good idea to guard that as well.

: Oh, I get it. If Peko was guarding the storage room, Nagito wouldn't have been able to use the irons.
: The threatening letter, along with all your suggestions... It was all a trap to manipulate us.
: Yep, that's true too! ...But you're wrong about one thing.
: H-Huh? Wh-Wh-What...?

: I didn't need to rig the drawing for cleaning duty, you know.
: If that's true, then how did you conveniently get picked for cleaning duty!?
: I see... Well, there's no way I'd expect you to remember it. A worthless talent for a worthless human...

Nagito's talent...? I believe...his talent is...

> Ultimate Lucky Student

: You're the Ultimate Lucky Student... Then...did you...!?
: That's right. I just trusted my luck. I trusted I'd be picked for cleaning duty.
: Y-You just relied on your luck?
: It's not *just* luck... It's true my talent sucks, but I'm still the Ultimate Lucky Student, you know?

: Huh? I'm left with the red mark!?
: Haha... For someone called the Ultimate Lucky Student, you don't seem very lucky right now...

: At the time, Hajime said I wasn't lucky... But it was actually the opposite...
: I *was* lucky! That's why I got picked for cleaning duty, just like I wanted!
: ...E-Enough... That... I don't care about that anymore...
: More importantly, why did you kill Byakuya!? Answer me!

: Byakuya was a very capable leader... For someone like him to get killed... Oh the despair it brings...
: It's only fitting that you symbols of hope should use his death as a stepping stone to shine even brighter.
: That was my only motivation!

: Y-You're not making any sense!
: It's fine... Let's start the drat vote already! I'm ready to loving kill this psycho!
: Please, Monokuma!

Music cuts out.

: P-P-Please wait!
: ...Huh? The gently caress?
: U-Um, um...um... How should I put this...? Um...

: I-Is Nagito...*really* the killer?
: Um... What are you saying? He's already confessed, hasn't he?
: I-I already know that, but... Fngh... There's just something a little strange...
: If it's only a little then keep your mouth shut... Your ugly face is stressing me out. It makes me wanna puke.
: A-A-Aaaah! I-I'm sorry!

: Um... For now, might I suggest we listen to what she has to say?
: B-But...we know who the killer is...
: Simply listening is...acceptable...

: However, I won't allow it to end with mere play! Now then, let us lift the curtain for a bloody spectacle!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wish I could have my memory erased and watch this part for the first time all over again. :allears:

(still like his Japanese voice better though)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is easily one of the best parts in the game. A character you had started to view as one of the reliable ones who had the side benefit of being very similar to the last games protagonist revels himself to be completely insane.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Yep, Nagito is completely bananas, but it doesn't seem like he is the killer based on how much gameplay I expect to have. After all, we haven't had one of the rhythm bullet games yet, through to be fair, those are usually the last part of a trial.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I thought this was the point I could post a comic illustrating the difference between Naegi and Komaeda, but I guess the really Komaeda moment is a bit later.

I know it was a really popular opinion back when DR was the hit fandom, but Komaeda really is my favorite DR character. He's so delightfully crazy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yup, his confession doesn't make sense. Mikan is probably about to bring up her autopsy, then we'll get to the floorboards, and Gundham will bring up the way under them. We still have no idea who the murderer is.

That said, holy poo poo Komaeda. He's trying to kill everyone just so they don't have to solve the mystery. He's going to be really pleasant to be around after this, I can tell. :allears:

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

What the hell actually HAPPENED to Nagito to get something so twisted.... Hope mixed with despair? What the hell. Just... what.

Oh... Why do I feel like I'm starting to see some missing pieces. And I don't like what the picture that starting to form is.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nagito is the real hero of the story. Without him, wouldn't everyone be so much less hopeful right now? They were all so happy to figure out who the killer was - isn't a little despair worth a moment like that?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Double Punctuation posted:

Yup, his confession doesn't make sense. Mikan is probably about to bring up her autopsy, then we'll get to the floorboards, and Gundham will bring up the way under them. We still have no idea who the murderer is.

That said, holy poo poo Komaeda. He's trying to kill everyone just so they don't have to solve the mystery. He's going to be really pleasant to be around after this, I can tell. :allears:

And you thought Genocide Jack made for awkward breakfast conversation. :allears:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One of the things I love most about this game is they throw you right into endgame-level crazytown right from Chapter 1.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

One of the things I love most about this game is they throw you right into endgame-level crazytown right from Chapter 1.

Yeah. I was not expecting Nagito to be as crazy as Junko was.And this is chapter 1. Oh dear. :magical:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!

Talow posted:

Yeah. I was not expecting Nagito to be as crazy as Junko was.And this is chapter 1. Oh dear. :magical:

Hehehehe...

You ain't seen nothing yet! Just wait until the ACTUALLY crazy poo poo starts.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Talow posted:

What the hell actually HAPPENED to Nagito to get something so twisted.... Hope mixed with despair? What the hell. Just... what.

He was born.

Some machines just come out of the factory broken.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I still maintain my previous objection that night vision goggles do not give you the ability to see through tables. So here's my thinking as to the sequence of events.

Nagito did everything he said he did. He set up the blackout, planted the knife, set up the lamp so he could get to it. And then during the blackout he went for the knife. Byakuya saw somebody diving under a table, knew that was suspicious, and moved to investigate. Then whoever it is under the floor shanked him with the skewer.

So my questions are these:

How do you get under the floor?
How did the person under the floor expect to kill somebody from there? You can't rely on there being a convenient blackout that will cause not one but two people to dive under a table off the carpeted area.
Why is Nagito so loving crazy? Was he actually planning a murder, or did he have some other goal? Commit suicide to prevent the first murder maybe?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So Nagito is bananas, but I don't think he's the killer, he mentioned seeing everyone come together showed hope, I but he's going suicidal thinking that if he bites it, they'll have that teamup moment of awesome for taking him down.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh good, Nagito was a big old red herring. This is MUCH more interesting than him as the killer.
The crazy suicidal guy that just wants whats best for everyone(Even if they have to die to get it) is rather fun at this point.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Hopefully they don't cop out and make him the spy. He's much more entertaining being King Nut of Crazytown.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Truthkeeper posted:

I still maintain my previous objection that night vision goggles do not give you the ability to see through tables. So here's my thinking as to the sequence of events.

Nagito did everything he said he did. He set up the blackout, planted the knife, set up the lamp so he could get to it. And then during the blackout he went for the knife. Byakuya saw somebody diving under a table, knew that was suspicious, and moved to investigate. Then whoever it is under the floor shanked him with the skewer.

You just countered your own objection. Byakuya didn't need to see through a table, he just needed to see Nagito doing something odd.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm glad that this game's greatest character has finally revealed his true ultimate power.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Here it is! I love this moment in the game, it really shows how much better this game is going to be than the first one.

On another note, this has been one of my desktop backgrounds since Oren's LP of the game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glaive17 posted:

On another note, this has been one of my desktop backgrounds since Oren's LP of the game.

O-Ohh... :yikes:

Do you want/need a 1080p version?

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

FPzero posted:

Do you want/need a 1080p version?

Nah, I'm good. I just have a folder called wallpapers with a bunch of images in it that windows cycles through the images every so often. I just think it's kinda funny when I sometimes minimize a window and that image is the background and startles me. Which it does every time, even though I have had it for so long.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

God, I've been waiting for this part so bad. Ah, Nagito. Never change, you crazy gently caress.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Nagito is straight up one of my favorite antagonists in fiction. It started from this moment and, boy oh boy.

This game is so, so good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There was a great quote from the last thread in response to that image which was something along the lines of "This is your brain on hope."

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Getting to watch two of my friends play these games blind, and reaching this part was golden. Both of them were pretty much "What the poo poo!!!!" and one of them took the comparisons between Nagito and Makoto to an extreme; from the reveal on he was calling Nagito "Nega-koto" from start to finish, it was great.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MattTheDoctor posted:

Nagito is straight up one of my favorite antagonists in fiction. It started from this moment and, boy oh boy.

:agreed:

This reveal was especially jarring since I was in the "maybe he's just good old Naegi with a new improved hairstyle, going by an alias" camp.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...What the poo poo. Well, this has truly settled it for me: Danganronpa 2 is NOT loving around. Returning character gets killed first, expy of the previous protagonist is set up to be the first murderer and then is revealed to be batshit crazy... Oh boy, this is gonna be a ride.

Now, as for who the real murderer is...

Assuming Nagito isn't the killer and it was someone from under the floorboards, we can safely cross out everyone that was in the dining room during the blackout by virtue of there being no way under the floorboards from there. Additionally, we know there's no way under the floorboards from outside the building either. So, our suspect list currently looks like:

Peko (I still find it just a bit too convenient she had the shits for the entirety of the murder, plus since we haven't seen inside the bathroom yet there very well may be some way under the floorboards from there)
Teruteru (Only by virtue of not actually being in the room for the entire time. Remember, he came in at a later moment. Though I do somewhat doubt it was him since he doesn't really come off as the kind of guy to try to kill someone)

...Huh, thought there would be more than that.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Peko (I still find it just a bit too convenient she had the shits for the entirety of the murder, plus since we haven't seen inside the bathroom yet there very well may be some way under the floorboards from there)
Teruteru (Only by virtue of not actually being in the room for the entire time. Remember, he came in at a later moment. Though I do somewhat doubt it was him since he doesn't really come off as the kind of guy to try to kill someone)
Note also that Teru both backed Nagito up on the "let's not kill anyone" thing, and is unusually eager to end this trial based on a raving lunatic's confession. Teru doesn't seem like the murderous type, but to me he does sort of seem like the type who would crack under pressure and do something desparate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
The Project Zetsubo translation of DR1's 6th chapter fits Nagito's character pretty well, it's:

The Super Duper High School Luckster, or: How I Learned to Stop Despairing and Embrace the End

• Locked thread